Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Always Dark skies of Belfair W...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Spaced]
      #5170303 - 04/13/12 12:25 PM

Quote:

What plans, if any, for Saturday night, Rob?

Soorry bro...I'm not available...tonight is the night....last night was awesome..a bit windy early on.but it calmed down. But tonight looks stunning..dark skies..clear..nice seeing...I got permission

So if anyone wants to drive out tonight you are more then welcome. Sorry for the short notice...but you have to act..and act quickly sometimes around here.

Let me know.

Rob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: rwiederrich]
      #5170340 - 04/13/12 12:47 PM

Hmmm Rob - I've been wanting to get out there and meet you. I'm suppose to be doing my taxes tonight, but I might consider...

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: SteveG]
      #5170407 - 04/13/12 01:25 PM

Quote:

Hmmm Rob - I've been wanting to get out there and meet you. I'm suppose to be doing my taxes tonight, but I might consider...

Well..I'll be here...just let me know.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#5171198 - 04/13/12 09:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well..I'll be here...just let me know.

Rob

Update..seeing and transparency is degrading quickly.....I haven't yet opened the OB...hope it gets better.

Rob

TG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
      #5171449 - 04/14/12 02:09 AM

Quote:

Update..seeing and transparency is degrading quickly.....I haven't yet opened the OB...hope it gets better.

Rob

I got a chance to go outside with my dob-mounted Mak-Newt. Mars yielded quite a bit of detail with Syrtis Major clearly visible. The Hellas region above it has some kind of a polar hood and looked almost white. Markings in the Utopia region was also seen as well as the tiny north polar cap. For average seeing, it was not a bad session. I had been planning to do some imaging with my C11 and perhaps view with the A-P but a bad cold's got me down and the M-N was just perfect.

Hope you folks made the most of it as well.

Tanveer.

sleepy
9/11 Medic

Reged: 07/10/10

Loc: The Columbia Gorge/ OR
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: TG]
      #5171870 - 04/14/12 11:34 AM

Hey guys, just checking in.
Skies are clearing up gradually.

Theres a neat page on facebook for the gorge if any one is interested.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/263696623660095/

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: sleepy]
      #5171940 - 04/14/12 12:15 PM

Hi, Joe!

sleepy
9/11 Medic

Reged: 07/10/10

Loc: The Columbia Gorge/ OR
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Spaced]
      #5171944 - 04/14/12 12:17 PM

Hey Mike! Hows it going kiddo, Any trips planned out this way?

Downward Bound
Adrenaline Junkie

Reged: 03/29/06

Loc: Seattle
      #5172216 - 04/14/12 03:21 PM

Quote:

Rob

I was getting stoked when I got home from the east coast yesterday and saw the sky and Rob's CSC. But by dinner time the high altitude haze was spreading broadly across the sky and by dusk it looked like it was all over. Hope to get another chance soon!

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: always cloudy, washington
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Downward Bound]
      #5172422 - 04/14/12 05:42 PM

It was clear here but twinkley. I decided not to set up a scope and went out with the 12x60s. That was fun. Viewing with two eyes was a welcome change. It was neat how stars, just on the verge of being easily seen, flicker in and out as you look around the fov. The 3d effect is also cool. I am getting better at holding them steady but i still want a lounge chair.
I think last night may have added another possibility for the other side of my t mount... A binocular telescope. That would be really cool. Too bad i thought of it too late. There was a vixen 80mm for 5-600 a few weeks ago in mount lake terrace.
Did any of you look at the twinkle stars besides myself and Tanveer?

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Downward Bound]
      #5172606 - 04/14/12 07:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rob

I was getting stoked when I got home from the east coast yesterday and saw the sky and Rob's CSC. But by dinner time the high altitude haze was spreading broadly across the sky and by dusk it looked like it was all over. Hope to get another chance soon!

My CSC was awesome..and it looked like stellar viewing...then..those high clouds moved in..and caused me great worry. So I called off the gathering. But I was excited to see it clear up around 11:00 and was stunning till 7:00 this morning. I enjoyed the evening by myself..but was a bit up set the high clouds moved in and scared off my desire to invite others over, causing me to call things off.

OH well....

Rob

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: rwiederrich]
      #5173959 - 04/15/12 03:59 PM

I was going to head out with the binos last night again but, we ate dinner at Anthony's and i was incapacitated afterward. Heather wanted to go somewhere nice and she paid so it was very nice. Missed the binos though. Maybe I'll get clear enough skies tonight to go out. It is nice right now.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5174401 - 04/15/12 09:40 PM

Quote:

I was going to head out with the binos last night again but, we ate dinner at Anthony's and i was incapacitated afterward. Heather wanted to go somewhere nice and she paid so it was very nice. Missed the binos though. Maybe I'll get clear enough skies tonight to go out. It is nice right now.

I decided to hang it up after Friday nights wierdness. today after church I got back to my pressure washing of all my cement walk ways and drive in front of the garage. I'm extremely pooped....dead down to the bone...

BradleyB
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Olympia, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: rwiederrich]
      #5174620 - 04/16/12 12:32 AM

Speaking of being pooped, I stucco plastered a couple of the stem walls for my shop yesterday. Not even very much area, and only one sack's worth, but man, that is difficult hard work. I could barely walk today (it's all in the ditch next to the foundation so lots of crouching and kneeling). The slab and stem walls are insulated with "pumice-crete" 8 inches thick that needs to be sealed and protected with the stucco. The pumice-crete is nice easy stuff to work with, very light weight, I like it. The cement stucco is heavy and a lot of work. I also put 5 inches or more pumice under the slab for insulation. All this work for a little 14 by 22 shop, but I like to do things right (and differently if you didn't notice).

On astro subject. I've recently purchased both an Earthwin barlow filter slide, and a Denkmeier power slide from AM. I'm having fun experimenting with them. I've even managed to stack them together! I would not have bought the Denkmeier if I'd known that the Earthwin unit was coming up for sale shortly after. This is only the second Earthwin barlow filter slide (without bino) for sale on AM or CN I've ever seen. Hopefully one of these days I can actually get them out under the stars.

Brad

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: BradleyB]
      #5175077 - 04/16/12 11:09 AM

Quote:

I don't have anything planned before the June 15-17 campout & star party. Probably I'll leave the trailer there after the s.p., which will make going down for the odd day or two much less of a logistical hassle. During the May new moon I'll be down in the southwest. Are you going to make it to the s.p., or will you be working?

Quote:

The 3d effect is also cool. I am getting better at holding them steady but i still want a lounge chair.

Sean and everyone, Costco presently has the "anti-gravity" lounge chairs in stock, for $50. SweetAnne & I bought two of them. I'm very impressed with the quality. These are an excellent buy! But you know how Costco operates: you have to want what they have in stock. When the present stock is gone they may not reappear.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Spaced]
      #5175268 - 04/16/12 01:26 PM

I managed to get some good viewing in on Friday night. I started with Venus where the views were pretty good, but not as good as a couple of weeks ago where I saw some cloud features on the surface for the first time. I left my ED120 scope out to remain ambient while I did my taxes.

Later in the evening I had some excellent views of Mars, up very high and the surface features were very prominent. I had the noth polar cap and "false" south polar cap easily in view. My wife actually came out and looked - and was impressed! The planet looked good at high-power, using a 3.5mm eyepiece for 257x.

Much later I had a very nice, steady view of Saturn. The mustard colored N eq belt stood out boldly against the pale yellow of Saturn's globe. I had the first clear view of the Cassini division in many years thanks to the opening up of the rings.

The Maple trees in my front yard will block the street-lights from my driveway. They are all blooming now, and it won't be long before the leaves grow in and I can look at more targets. Still need to extend my deck in the back, where it's much darker.

I hope some of you got out - Friday night was magical.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: BradleyB]
      #5175329 - 04/16/12 02:04 PM

Yeah..I've stuccod before Brad and man..you are right..exhausting work. I pressure washed the drive and walks and 6 hours later.....Ooooooo.

Any way..I really wanted to invite folks over Friday..but dang....high clouds shut me down. Till they blew away around midnight or one.....Grrrrrrrr.

My new project is a Schupmann medial telescope. Probably 10" to 12" aperature. I want a completely collor corrected obstruction free imager. I'll make the main Singlet objective..the corrector and the field mirror. It will be a fun project for sure......do you have any aluminum lying around you want to pilfer off?

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: SteveG]
      #5175346 - 04/16/12 02:18 PM

Yeah..it became so after midnight. It was twinkly till then and cloudy before that.

However..I hate to open the big roof on the OB if things are questionable. I'm wierd..I guess.

I get enough really nice nights to tempt me to open things up without any threat of high clouds playing games with me. Plus my sweetheart doesn't like it when she comes home from work every night and I'm out in the OB..NOT being available to spend time with her. She's jealous that way.

I'm waiting for a good Friday night where the entire day is awesome and I can feal free to go *WHILD*(I need to calm down)..

Glad you got out despite my failed attempt at throwing together a party.....

Rob

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

#5175884 - 04/16/12 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't have anything planned before the June 15-17 campout & star party. Probably I'll leave the trailer there after the s.p., which will make going down for the odd day or two much less of a logistical hassle. During the May new moon I'll be down in the southwest. Are you going to make it to the s.p., or will you be working?

Quote:

The 3d effect is also cool. I am getting better at holding them steady but i still want a lounge chair.

Sean and everyone, Costco presently has the "anti-gravity" lounge chairs in stock, for $50. SweetAnne & I bought two of them. I'm very impressed with the quality. These are an excellent buy! But you know how Costco operates: you have to want what they have in stock. When the present stock is gone they may not reappear.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to head there soon.

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Reged: 11/07/04

Loc: Loc: Loc:
      #5176113 - 04/16/12 10:19 PM

Quote:

Probably I'll leave the trailer there after the s.p.,

Sweet, a hotel onsite.

Thanks Mike.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 69557

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics