Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | >> (show all)
svtdoug
sage

Reged: 02/07/11

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Spaced]
      #5787162 - 04/08/13 11:38 PM

Heading for Camp Delany on Wednesday, a day ahead of time. Will stay one night at the Sun River RV park or the State Park. Hope I can find a dark spot for the trailer. Wednesday night is looking the best forecast wise...

Hope to see some of you over there.

Doug

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: svtdoug]
      #5788482 - 04/09/13 03:18 PM

I'm planning to head that direction Thursday. Although I'd prefer an unambiguous, solid forecast for "clear," I'll take the prediction for showers on the west side as an optimistic statement about the east side.

I'll be staying in a bunk house. This'll be my first trip to Camp D and I've been trying to make it out there for several years now, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: always cloudy, washington
      #5790432 - 04/10/13 02:09 PM

The term "dream scope" most likely means "Sean will never own one". In reality, I couldn't pull off a d14 without a major battle at home and I am not into battling with my better half. I could pull off a mirror refigure and a scope build though.

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/21/08

Loc: Coupeville, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5790515 - 04/10/13 03:03 PM

I am in your situation Sean. As much as I want a Webster, it is not happening unless it is used. It is not worth getting my purse strings keeper irate. I can go only about half way to the cost of a new one I think. They are worth it I am sure, but just beyond what my wife considers acceptable for a "hobby" need.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Dragonwatcher]
      #5790549 - 04/10/13 03:20 PM

I'm heading to Vegas tomorrow for a family trip (staying with relatives). I have my 8" dob there so I'll head out into the desert at least one night for some warm weather viewing.

You guys have fun at Delany. Maybe next year I can get to that one.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: SteveG]
      #5791641 - 04/11/13 12:23 AM

I hope the weather and other factors treat you well, Steve.

Quote:

As much as I want a Webster, it is not happening unless it is used.

Used equipment is really *the* way to go. If for some reason you don't want to keep what you acquire you can sell it for about the same price, and if you limit your search area to near by you can do a careful, hands-on examination. I'm a believer. My Webster (bought new) was a once-in-a-lifetime purchase for me.

My replacement data connector for my altitude encoder arrived in the mail today, just in the nick of time before tomorrow's departure. Phew!

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

#5793493 - 04/11/13 11:05 PM

Good luck on the weather Steve and hope you get some clear nights Mike! have fun.

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Stacy]
      #5793571 - 04/11/13 11:45 PM

That is great Mike. I hope that fixes the issue.

My company just started offering a stock option program so maybe in 3 years I could have dream scope money. I'll be able to purchase shares at last weeks price 3 years from now. If it goes up between now and then, it could be a significant (for me) amount. Pretty exciting.

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
      #5795324 - 04/12/13 08:21 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Wow, Who in Eastern Washington made a Huge Astro Purchase?

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Reged: 11/07/04

Loc: Loc: Loc:
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: zerro1]
      #5795347 - 04/12/13 08:45 PM

Quote:

Doesn't have to be a "big" purchase around here to screw up the weather.
Just thinking about buying something will bring in the clouds!

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Sky Captain]
      #5795718 - 04/13/13 12:43 AM

Speaking of purchases, there are 2 21 ethos for $650 on AM. If anyone is in the market.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
      #5796523 - 04/13/13 12:15 PM

Been away for a while.

Robert, that is an excellent M51.

Ajay

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Sky Captain]
      #5796687 - 04/13/13 02:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Doesn't have to be a "big" purchase around here to screw up the weather.
Just thinking about buying something will bring in the clouds!

All it takes for me is to wake up or look outdoors. The weather was far nicer before I bought my second telescope. When I just had my 8"f6, it seemed like I was always out at night loving life. Now, it seems like I never get out and if it is clear, the seeing is bad enough that I question my refractor's collimation. This is a very sad area to love astronomy.
Oh well, at least we have nice gear when it is time to go out

square_peg
Postmaster

Reged: 03/26/04

Loc: Maple Valley, WA
      #5797770 - 04/14/13 01:30 AM

Quote:

My replacement data connector for my altitude encoder arrived in the mail today, just in the nick of time before tomorrow's departure. Phew!

I hope the weather cooperated for you guys. Tonight (Saturday) there's supposed to be a pretty good aurora. You'll have to tell us about it.

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: square_peg]
      #5797794 - 04/14/13 02:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I hope the weather cooperated for you guys. Tonight (Saturday) there's supposed to be a pretty good aurora. You'll have to tell us about it.

According to NOAA they've got "partly cloudy" over there tonight. I came down with a Nasty Bug so I'll not even be stepping outdoors to look!! Was off work Wednesday and Thursday with a fever. Worked on Friday...Wasn't a good plan, now it came back with a vengeance

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: zerro1]
      #5800386 - 04/15/13 12:11 PM

Man, I can *highly* recommend the Camp Delaney trip! The ELC is located right in one of the coulees immediately below dry falls. If a guy is at the Dry Falls visitors' center a narrow, long butte is directly in front, across from lakes; the ELC is in the coulee right behind the ridge, next to a spring area from which a sizable creek flows. There are hiking trails that allow ambling from the ELC in several directions, and most of the off-trail landscape is open enough to permit wandering. It's an absolutely unique, fabulous place to spend a few days. It puts the "E" back in ELCs. And spring has sprung there. Many of the desert plants are in their blooming seasons. I saw mule deer, ring neck pheasants, racoons, a rattlesnake (up close & personal), as well as many bird species. Coyotes and at least one great horned owl sang and hooted at night. The landscape is endlessly fascinating.

The weather treated us well, although it was cool and it was windy Thursday and Saturday nights. We had good nights Thursday and Friday; in fact, it was just starting to brighten in the east when I went to bed Saturday morning. Saturday night was a near bust: high haze with holes; seductive enough to keep me out but not good enough for good viewing. No aurora. But we had some excellent views of Panstarrs. It's moved to the north enough that it sets early but rises again in a few hours. Those were my first views of that comet.

I'm happy to report that Sugaree's DSCs have returned to their fine functionality, and it now tracks again. Phew! The job was much more extensive than I expected, however. I thought I'd receive a 4-wire cable with a connector at each end, that I'd just snap out and in from the altitude encoder to wherever it connected. Instead I received a harness that connected both encoders to the Argo Nav box, and to do the job I had to remove the mirror box from the rocker box, for the first time since the scope was new. It took three men and and a boy to get the job done, but -- success! Remaining, however, is the need to tidy up the job. The original cable is still in there, stapled to the box. I need to open it up again, carefully remove the old and replace my duct taped, jury-rigged job with a good stapling of the new cable.

I should add that the people at the s.p. were wonderfully welcoming, friendly and helpful. I expected that I'd be one of the few non-Olympic Astro Soc. attendees, but there is a coterie of folks from Snohomish, Boeing and other clubs, as well as, uh, "independents" such as myself. It's well-organized, well run and an excellent "deal," bucks wise.

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Spaced]
      #5800775 - 04/15/13 02:57 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

Nice report Mike! Sounds like my Fall trip up there once. Great fun,

I saw some stars on Friday night. Jesse Cook was in Seattle and I just happened to stumble upon some front row / center seats for Honey Bunny and I. All I can say was AMAZING!

Mike and I listened to Jesse Cook one night down at Goldendale when we were the only two up there observing. Dark skies and some flamenco wafting through on the warm breeze. A great night for astronomy!

Anyway, this was a night to remember as well.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Stacy]
      #5800959 - 04/15/13 04:35 PM

Stacy, I'm appointing you my ticket acquisition agent. Wish I could have been there!

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: bluedandelion]
      #5801694 - 04/15/13 10:45 PM

Quote:

Been away for a while.

Robert, that is an excellent M51.

Ajay

Thank You Ajay! Now if I could just get some more sky time!! I have a second camera with this chip. I'm thinking of contacting QHY to see if they can put together a camera if I supply the chip... I've heard that they've done that before.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: zerro1]
      #5801737 - 04/15/13 11:09 PM

Mike,

I had a wonderful time at Camp Delaney a couple of years ago when I was on a sabbatical. Its hard to do the spring event now when school is in session. It was there that I wrote the poem I shared with you at Goldendale a couple of years ago. I'll append it below for others to see. Camp Delaney in the spring can be magical even in daytime.

- Ajay

----

The Lightness of Things

On a quest to be nowhere, for no reason
I delighted in the light of things:

A solitary butterfly and an audacious dragonfly
drifted in a pool of grey tufted grass and sage
adorned with false dandelions and sage violets

Swallows cavorted freely on the shimmering air
occasionally locking claws and wheeling

A crow like a glistening velvet scrap of the night sky
soared, surfing the canyon winds like an eagle

Flecks of silver undulated on strands of spider web

And in a gap high up on the crags
a tree bereft of leaves plucked at the silken blue

On a quest to be nowhere
I delighted in the lightness of things.

If God loves us best
why do swallows have wings?

- Ajay Narayanan, April 30, 2011
OAS Star Party, Camp Delaney, WA.

Pages: << 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 70781

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics