Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Table Mountain Star Party, Washington
      #5428448 - 09/18/12 11:20 PM

I am saddened to report that the location of TMSP has been burned! I am told the trees in the center of the meadow survived! The TMSP website has more details! The TMSP board will head up and evaluate the site as soon as the roads are open

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Table Mountain Star Party, Washington new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5428455 - 09/18/12 11:26 PM

that "is" very sad...

rainycityastro
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/29/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Table Mountain Star Party, Washington new [Re: zerro1]
      #5428604 - 09/19/12 01:22 AM

Oh,no! This is indeed quite sad.

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Table Mountain Star Party, Washington new [Re: rainycityastro]
      #5428635 - 09/19/12 01:46 AM

based on the map the lion rock campground is fire central and it covers the entire area surrounding it.

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3269/

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

#5428651 - 09/19/12 02:11 AM

Hard to be upset. Fire is as natural to a forest as wind and rain. Nature will eventually replenish anything that is lost.

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Table Mountain Star Party, Washington new [Re: Stacy]
      #5428692 - 09/19/12 03:32 AM

for future generations. not in my lifetime

DarkSkys
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/10

Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern ...
      #5428699 - 09/19/12 04:05 AM

Atleast the tree's in the middle of the feild survived. Sucks, it was pretty up there.

I did notice how many dead tree's you could see in the woods when I was up there a few years ago. Hopefully the forrest will comback healthy and strong after this.

Edited by DarkSkys (09/19/12 04:11 AM)

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Table Mountain Star Party, Washington new [Re: DarkSkys]
      #5428889 - 09/19/12 09:15 AM

Last time I was at Table I saw the same thing as DarkSkys, deadwood everywhere. It was bound to happen with all the fuel. Just sorry to see it go up in smoke. TMSPA has been making noises about moving to another location because the Ellensburg light dome is getting problematic. We will see what the future holds.

Stacy
Star Partyer

#5429166 - 09/19/12 12:43 PM

In many situations, fighting forest fires can be extremely detrimental to the natural forest ecosystem.

Natural forest fires, sparked by lightning for example, serve to clear out a lot of underbrush. These fires burn fast and sweep through the forest quickly, doing minimal "damage" and allowing certain plants and animals to thrive. Most trees will survive this type of fire and they can actually be a benefit by opening cones and allowing more sunlight to get to the floor to feed the new saplings. The natural mosaic patterns created serve a much broader ecosystem.

When an area is "protected" from fire, the underbrush accumulates over many years. It chokes off many plants and animals and creates a thick tangle that when it finally does catch fire, burns EXTREMELY hot, charring everything and killing many, many more trees.

So many houses being built in dry forest areas prone to fire, and the people who choose to live there, is the bigger problem in my opinion. However, controlled burns and other measures can reduce the instance of a "killer" fire. Pretty basic stuff. Table Mountain on fire is Table Mountain doing what it's supposed to do. Nature WILL have it's way eventually.

Stacy
Star Partyer

#5429242 - 09/19/12 01:36 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Love this place....

DarkSkys
professor emeritus

#5429673 - 09/19/12 06:27 PM

Quote:

In many situations, fighting forest fires can be extremely detrimental to the natural forest ecosystem.

Natural forest fires, sparked by lightning for example, serve to clear out a lot of underbrush. These fires burn fast and sweep through the forest quickly, doing minimal "damage" and allowing certain plants and animals to thrive. Most trees will survive this type of fire and they can actually be a benefit by opening cones and allowing more sunlight to get to the floor to feed the new saplings. The natural mosaic patterns created serve a much broader ecosystem.

When an area is "protected" from fire, the underbrush accumulates over many years. It chokes off many plants and animals and creates a thick tangle that when it finally does catch fire, burns EXTREMELY hot, charring everything and killing many, many more trees.

So many houses being built in dry forest areas prone to fire, and the people who choose to live there, is the bigger problem in my opinion. However, controlled burns and other measures can reduce the instance of a "killer" fire. Pretty basic stuff. Table Mountain on fire is Table Mountain doing what it's supposed to do. Nature WILL have it's way eventually.

Theres acutaly quite a few houses i've seen built that would be impossible to burn. The big problem is the expence and getting people to build them.

The "concrete log" cabins's i've seen and read about, as long as they have the right kind of metal roof, are almost impervious to fire's.
I'd build one if I find myself liveing in the woods.

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Rainy WA
      #5429714 - 09/19/12 06:49 PM

Quote:

There's actually quite a few houses i've seen built that would be impossible to burn. The big problem is the expense and getting people to build them.

The "concrete log" cabins i've seen and read about, as long as they have the right kind of metal roof, are almost impervious to fire's.
I'd build one if I find myself living in the woods.

But it'd seem to me there's a good chance of the thing turning into a Dutch Oven for the unfortunate occupants inside?

zerro1
Postmaster

#5429898 - 09/19/12 08:47 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Quote:

Love this place....

may only be a fond memory now...

Rich

Reged: 01/21/06

Loc: Seattle
      #5430339 - 09/20/12 04:36 AM

I drove up last Saturday for new moon time. Was hoping the Wenatchee complex would be blowing east enough to make Table usable. Stopped in Cle Elum and heard about the Liberty fire... drove out 97 a ways and quickly saw that smoke was blowing east right up over Table from 3 smaller fires. I drove around some to see the effects of the Taylor Bridge fire, including seeing the bridge itself. Amazing how the fires can torch one area and leave sections around green and happy.

Well I guess now those Liberty area fires have spread big time and the whole area around Table is under seige. We can only hope that some areas may be left less damaged.

I do agree that fires are natural and can even enhance the forest, but a major one where we like to congregate will likely impact it for years to come and may make it uninhabitable. I've certainly noticed that the forest up there has not looked healthy, and of course growth is very slow at 6400 ft elevation so it could be a prolonged regrowth time.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5430695 - 09/20/12 11:01 AM

Quote:

I am saddened to report that the location of TMSP has been burned! I am told the trees in the center of the meadow survived! The TMSP website has more details! The TMSP board will head up and evaluate the site as soon as the roads are open

I've always heard about this great location, and am saddened about the fire. This has been a terrible fire season. I've not viewed for a couple of months because of the smoke from (now) 28 ongoing wildfires in Montana.

I've been very fortunate to drive thru & visit many of the Wa. areas most of you live in.

bper

Reged: 02/22/08

Loc: Yakima Washington
Re: Table Mountain Star Party, Washington new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5431111 - 09/20/12 02:56 PM

This is a terrible tragedy. I started going to Table Mtn in 1982 and have attended many of the star parties from the small early ones upto the bigger ones. I have more recently attended the Orion Nebula Star Parties at the Table Mtn site held in September and we were all packed and ready to go for this new Moon when all hell broke loose.

For anyone interested, here are a couple of links that have not appeared yet. Click on the Interactive Fire Map to get the latest. It does not look good at all, but I won't speculate. Click the + on the map and look for NF-3400-124 Rd. This is the road that goes by the TMSP site to Lions Rock.

http://www.co.kittitas.wa.us/response/20120915-fire/default.asp

The second link is to an article this morning in our local paper online. Be sure to view the slideshow of 10 pictures mostly of Table mtn.

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2012/09/19/table-mountain-complex-consuming-nearly-12-000-acres

I don't know how this is all going to shake out in a week or two, but it does not look good at this time. The last time I was at the Table mtn site was a year ago and we had planned to go for new Moon August, but the Taylor Bridge fire had all the roads closed to it and now this fire in September. Yakima has been smoked in for two weeks now - Bruce

Gregg Lobdell
sage

Reged: 01/20/06

Loc: Covington, WA
Re: Table Mountain Star Party, Washington new [Re: bper]
      #5431183 - 09/20/12 03:34 PM

Based on the latest maps, it would appear that the meadow and all the trees have been burned. See the 9/20/2012 map on the kittitas.wa.us site that bper posted, and also at http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3269/ that zerro1 posted above.

Yes this is sad, but it is natural. From an astronomer's perspective, this will improve the horizon view lines, though that may include more skyglow. Depending on how the re-growth happens, it may be possible to use the very top of Table Mountain for observing in addition to the traditional meadow just to the south of the high point. On the downside, it was always nice to be able to set up in the shade of the trees on the meadow.

Meadow grass grows back much faster than trees. It's been several years since I drove up to Table Mountain, but the last time I did, the low scrub sagebrush was becoming a problem. Hopefully this fire burns out the sagebrush and encourages the grasses.

I live in western Washington, and we can see the smoke plumes from the fires about 70 miles away.

Jack Day

Reged: 03/04/05

Re: Table Mountain Star Party, Washington new [Re: Gregg Lobdell]
      #5431372 - 09/20/12 05:29 PM

Hi all,

Living in Wenatchee, WA and being the program director for the Student Telescope Making Program at TMSP I also have been following these events closely. Bits of TM are falling on the ground outside my window as I write this. I have been going up to Table Mountain since 1985, this is a very sad time for myself, the other directors at TMSP and I know it has been VERY tough on Thom Jenkins. I don't know what TMSP will look like next year, but I am sure it will be memorable. I would guess from folks I have spoken with that the mountain may remain closed until next spring. Hopefully once the fires are out we can at least get a better idea of the impact on the site. This is one time I would ask everyone to pray for rain...

Clear skies,

Jack Day

Edited by Jack Day (09/20/12 05:36 PM)

DarkSkys
professor emeritus

Re: Table Mountain Star Party, Washington new [Re: Gregg Lobdell]
      #5431402 - 09/20/12 05:52 PM

Quote:

Based on the latest maps, it would appear that the meadow and all the trees have been burned. See the 9/20/2012 map on the kittitas.wa.us site that bper posted, and also at http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3269/ that zerro1 posted above.

Yes this is sad, but it is natural. From an astronomer's perspective, this will improve the horizon view lines, though that may include more skyglow. Depending on how the re-growth happens, it may be possible to use the very top of Table Mountain for observing in addition to the traditional meadow just to the south of the high point. On the downside, it was always nice to be able to set up in the shade of the trees on the meadow.

Meadow grass grows back much faster than trees. It's been several years since I drove up to Table Mountain, but the last time I did, the low scrub sagebrush was becoming a problem. Hopefully this fire burns out the sagebrush and encourages the grasses.

I live in western Washington, and we can see the smoke plumes from the fires about 70 miles away.

Though i'm not sure if they ( the forrest service) will allow anyone up there after the fire goes out.

I hope we get some rain soon. The fire fighters had said the fire could burn for weeks if we don't get a good rainstorm. I hope liberty is spared.

square_peg
Postmaster

Reged: 03/26/04

Loc: Maple Valley, WA
      #5432040 - 09/21/12 01:35 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

I drove by on I-90 yesterday. Table Mtn. reminded me of the Mt. St. Helens eruption. The plume reached 40,000'. Dark smoke was billowing up off the mountain in several places. Lighter smoke was coming up everywhere. I knew just from driving by that the observing area was toast.

Just sad, sad, sad.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4395

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics