Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page


Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
ischua
Under the Radar
*****

Reged: 07/17/08

Loc: Below Snow Plop, N Y
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: Gary Honis]
      #5852701 - 05/10/13 08:40 PM

A friend at work lives at the bottom of the hill (44 and 6) says the roads are about the same condition as last year.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
star drop
contra contrail
*****

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: ischua]
      #5852861 - 05/10/13 10:17 PM

That's still far better than my road.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George N
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: Gary Honis]
      #5854264 - 05/11/13 06:55 PM

Quote:

Hi George,

All the local roads are open as far as I know. West Branch road to Galeton is scheduled for more work, but was open yesterday.




Gary, et al

West Branch is important to me, because I live to the northeast of Cherry Springs and arrive first in Galeton. I don't want to get down that road, find it blocked, and then have to back a trailer up 5 miles!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gary Honis
Vendor-DSLR Mods


Reged: 12/15/04

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: George N]
      #5854549 - 05/11/13 11:02 PM

Hi George,

You may want to call the Lyman Run Park office before you are ready to head out. They would know the work schedule for West Branch Rd.

I forgot to mention that we had a pesky bear at Cherry Springs that was suffering with mange. I understand it was put down on Thursday. Images here:

http://home.ptd.net/~ghonis/May6Bear/May6Bear.html


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kreegan99
member


Reged: 05/20/09

Loc: Endwell, NY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: Gary Honis]
      #5854715 - 05/12/13 01:14 AM

Quote:

Hi George,

You may want to call the Lyman Run Park office before you are ready to head out. They would know the work schedule for West Branch Rd.

I forgot to mention that we had a pesky bear at Cherry Springs that was suffering with mange. I understand it was put down on Thursday. Images here:

http://home.ptd.net/~ghonis/May6Bear/May6Bear.html




Well a bear at the Cherry Springs Star Party might have been quite interesting Gary :-). I guess we will have to focus on the sky. :-)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ischua
Under the Radar
*****

Reged: 07/17/08

Loc: Below Snow Plop, N Y
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: kreegan99]
      #5855558 - 05/12/13 02:02 PM

link for road work

http://www.511pa.com/


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gary Honis
Vendor-DSLR Mods


Reged: 12/15/04

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: ischua]
      #5868927 - 05/18/13 08:12 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

A pesky bear with mange was hanging around the observing field during the day at Cherry Springs on May 6. He was put down three days later so he won't be attending the star party. We also saw a red fox at the end of the South field and there is a short clip of it at the end of this video. Best viewed in 1080P:

http://youtu.be/Rk7mLFa7pTs


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
star drop
contra contrail
*****

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: Gary Honis]
      #5869585 - 05/18/13 03:32 PM

^Ursa Manger

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George N
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: star drop]
      #5875689 - 05/21/13 12:00 PM

Quote:

^Ursa Manger




....around my place we have "Ursa Bird-feederisis" and "Ursa Garbagecanus Destructus"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
star drop
contra contrail
*****

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: George N]
      #5878220 - 05/22/13 02:40 PM

That silenced bear might have wanted to be a speaker since there is ONLY one speaker listed for the star party.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George N
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: star drop]
      #5888136 - 05/27/13 11:48 PM

Who's going early? Those long-range forecasts are looking like Wed will be the only clear night of the entire week!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jsines
sage
*****

Reged: 09/06/11

Loc: Berkley. Michigan
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: George N]
      #5892234 - 05/30/13 11:48 AM

I signed up yesterday, and it'll be my first star party! Imaging anywhere besides my white zone is always good, and it'll be even better since I added autoguiding to my setup last week. I went to a dark sky site a few months ago in northern Michigan, and I could only get 3 minutes unguided - the histogram was probably not fully past the left side of the camera either (still got great shots, though).

2 questions -
1. I can't arrive until Friday, anyone know if there will be a problem getting access to electrical outlets or a mount pad?
2. Since I just added autoguiding and PhD, I need to make my computer screen night friendly. Is there a recommended way to do this, either through software a red cover over the screen? It's an older Windows Vista laptop.

Thanks, and I'm really looking forward to this!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George N
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: jsines]
      #5893010 - 05/30/13 06:24 PM

Quote:

I signed up yesterday, and it'll be my first star party! Imaging anywhere besides my white zone is always good, and it'll be even better since I added autoguiding to my setup last week. I went to a dark sky site a few months ago in northern Michigan, and I could only get 3 minutes unguided - the histogram was probably not fully past the left side of the camera either (still got great shots, though).

2 questions -
1. I can't arrive until Friday, anyone know if there will be a problem getting access to electrical outlets or a mount pad?
2. Since I just added autoguiding and PhD, I need to make my computer screen night friendly. Is there a recommended way to do this, either through software a red cover over the screen? It's an older Windows Vista laptop.

Thanks, and I'm really looking forward to this!




AC power and pad: Arriving on Friday, you will very likely have access to power, but I'd bet the pads will all be gone by Wednesday or earlier.

You can get a red plastic screen cover (call one of the vendors and ask them to bring one), but any light at Cherry Springs is reason for a "death sentence", so I suggest getting a cover (cardboard box?) to fully cover the PC, and look at it with some sort of cover, like a towel. Most imagers at CSSP put their PCs inside some sort of "cave".

.....but right now the long-range is mostly clouds and rain after Wed night. Hopefully it will change, and Cherry Springs is famous for weather forecasts being of little value.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
YetAnotherHobby
sage
*****

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Central CT
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: jsines]
      #5893711 - 05/31/13 07:05 AM

Last year I showed up late on Friday afternoon and I was positioned far from an electrical outlet, but the folks nearby were kind enough to let me tap off their multi-outlet connection. Just be sure to bring a long extension cord!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
djpontone
member


Reged: 04/27/08

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: YetAnotherHobby]
      #5893774 - 05/31/13 08:35 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62042743@N07/ may 4/5/2013 first 12 pictures. Had a great time except the skyglow was very disturbing thank u frackers.Hope the weather forecast changes .

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
star drop
contra contrail
*****

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: djpontone]
      #5893935 - 05/31/13 10:14 AM

Quote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62042743@N07/ may 4/5/2013 first 12 pictures. Had a great time except the skyglow was very disturbing thank u frackers.Hope the weather forecast changes .



You got a picture of one of my friends at Cherry Springs. In the lower images is that your astro cat inside the telescope?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George N
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: djpontone]
      #5893936 - 05/31/13 10:14 AM

Long-range weather forecasts are looking a little better, but the best nights still appear to be Mon & Tue before the star party begins.

Right now my plans have a lot of "if's" and "maybe's". I might arrive on Monday, or.....


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jsines
sage
*****

Reged: 09/06/11

Loc: Berkley. Michigan
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: George N]
      #5897035 - 06/01/13 11:37 PM

Quote:


AC power and pad: Arriving on Friday, you will very likely have access to power, but I'd bet the pads will all be gone by Wednesday or earlier.

You can get a red plastic screen cover (call one of the vendors and ask them to bring one), but any light at Cherry Springs is reason for a "death sentence", so I suggest getting a cover (cardboard box?) to fully cover the PC, and look at it with some sort of cover, like a towel. Most imagers at CSSP put their PCs inside some sort of "cave".

.....but right now the long-range is mostly clouds and rain after Wed night. Hopefully it will change, and Cherry Springs is famous for weather forecasts being of little value.




Thanks for the suggestion on the cover for the PC. I was thinking about the blue lights on the computer right after I posted the question. I'll bring a cardboard box and a towel, and a few very long extension cords.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
starneml
member


Reged: 04/30/07

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: jsines]
      #5897491 - 06/02/13 09:47 AM

Get red lens repair tape from auto supply shop or Wally's world.
One or two layers over offending blue, green and yellow laptop LEDs works wonders. And you can still tell if they at on or off.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
djpontone
member


Reged: 04/27/08

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: starneml]
      #5899112 - 06/03/13 07:37 AM

Leaving for cherry spring today two nites better than no nites.Yes ted to astro kat clear skies dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)


Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 7879

Jump to

CN Forums Home




Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics