7lx200gps

Reged: 09/11/08

Loc: Lewisberry, PA
Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013
      #5544852 - 11/29/12 12:04 AM

Cherry Springs Star Party 2013
2013 Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013
Presented by the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg

The Cherry Springs Star Party or CSSP will be held at Cherry Springs State Park near Coudersport, PA. Cherry Springs State Park is well known for nice dark skies and we hope you'll enjoy them with us at the Cherry Springs Star Party! The Registration Desk will open at approximately 12 PM on Thursday and will be open at various times throughou t the weekend. We hope to see YOU at the Star Party!

The Cherry Springs Star Party features speakers and vendors from around the country, on-site food vendor with 24/7 food services, and door prize raffles.

Availability for the star party is limited. The earlier you register, the better. Towards the star party, registration fills up quickly. Please complete registration if you plan to attend. Registration forms can be found on our website, or the Facebook page. You can also pay PayPal if you wish. Registration will open sometime in late February or early March.

Getting to Cherry Springs:
Cherry Springs State Park is located on PA 44 in Potter County.

GPS Coordinates:

If you are using a GPS, the GPS coordinates for the Cherry Springs Observing Field are as follows (Coordinate and elevation information retrieved from the United States Geological Survey):
41°39’ 46” N, 77° 49’ 23” W (41.662778 N, 77.823056 W)
Elevation is 2300 feet or 701 meters

For more information regarding registration, food vendors, door prizes and weather, please visit http://astrohbg.org/CSSP/Information.html

Cherry Springs Star Party also has a Facebook page for up-to-date material regarding the star party. You do not need a facebook account to access all the information on the CSSP Facebook page. This page will be updated faster for weather and any news regarding the star party.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cherry-Springs-Star-Party-2013/295858413801517

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: 7lx200gps]
      #5551967 - 12/03/12 12:36 PM

I hope to be there.....

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: George N]
      #5553977 - 12/04/12 01:20 PM

Forcast is for cloudy and rain...

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: bierbelly]
      #5554087 - 12/04/12 02:24 PM

That was my experience at CSSP the year they had me up as a speaker...but...had a great time anyway!

fuzzystuff4ever

Reged: 11/26/12

Loc: Micco, FL
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: rmollise]
      #5554154 - 12/04/12 03:13 PM

Went in 2010; weather was OK but it wasn't quite as dark as I was expecting; had a great time. Say hello to the flies for me....

Brian

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: fuzzystuff4ever]
      #5554352 - 12/04/12 05:50 PM

The weather was great for this year's star party and flies were not a problem. The dark skies of Cherry Springs have been degraded in recent years due to light from gas drilling in Potter and neighboring counties. Drilling has been put on hiatus in Potter County due to the drop in the price of natural gas and the skies have improved a bit as a result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBpP3uxJ3OY&list=UUVfWtdlxmG4Wev9DZsM1SoQ&... (see the SQM reading graph at 2:39)

Dave Mitsky

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5555877 - 12/05/12 03:40 PM

Quote:

The weather was great for this year's star party and flies were not a problem. The dark skies of Cherry Springs have been degraded in recent years due to light from gas drilling in Potter and neighboring counties. Drilling has been put on hiatus in Potter County due to the drop in the price of natural gas and the skies have improved a bit as a result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBpP3uxJ3OY&list=UUVfWtdlxmG4Wev9DZsM1SoQ&... (see the SQM reading graph at 2:39)

Dave Mitsky

Dang! That fast. You'd think that dark skies would be worth more than thousands of cubic feet of natural gas.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5565769 - 12/11/12 11:31 AM

Flies (last year anyway): Mostly gone now that the Gypsy Moth infestation is over. The squawky Blue Herons are still there.

Sky darkness: Has always been variable. High haze seems to reflect more light. If the daytime sky is milky, you can bet on a brighter night. I’ve seen SQM readings from 21.30 to 21.65 in recent years, sometimes on the same weekend. While it might not be as dark as it once was, Cherry Springs is still a great spot for observing, and the club that runs this star party does a great job.

Springtime weather: Hey, it’s the Northeast!! Expect anything from blizzards to tornados, and maybe a clear night or two, or more….

CSSP: I went a day early last year and had 3 good nights, plus one pretty icky one (Saturday – some folks left, but it did improve around midnight). The year before the weather was so bad I didn’t even bother to go, while watching hail hit my truck at home.

June??? I liked this star party better when it was in May. I’d rather have cold weather than shorter nights and less time to view the Virgo galaxies. Last year I also spent 4 nights in May and had better observing (and maybe a 100 people on the field), but of course no star party activities or vendors. I also had to borrow someone’s lawn mower to cut a patch out of the 6+ inch deep grass to set up my scopes.

The best part about Cherry Springs is that the site is perfectly set up for astronomy: large flat field, hardened roads, AC power, water, toilets, safe, and no white lights. The old airfield across the road would be even better for viewing, but lacks any of the amenities. I just wish that there were closer restaurants and small stores. My cell phone will not work there, but the phone built into my Chevy truck works fine.

kreegan99

Reged: 05/20/09

Loc: Endwell, NY
      #5606906 - 01/05/13 04:16 PM

Quote:

George - if you don't go, will your 20" Obsession be going? Please? I plan on going, and plan on being parked right next to you again! Man really excited to get back to Cherry Springs again - what a beautiful place!

Maybe it will be as good as last year!

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: kreegan99]
      #5615374 - 01/10/13 11:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

George - if you don't go, will your 20" Obsession be going? Please? I plan on going, and plan on being parked right next to you again! Man really excited to get back to Cherry Springs again - what a beautiful place!

Maybe it will be as good as last year!

I plan on setting up next to the 30 inch scopes….. so that everyone lines up over there and leaves me and my little 20 alone!

Here’s to 2013 being as good as 2012. We certainly had a large club attendance, (plus the same at Stellafane).

I’m also hoping for a long dark weekend in April or May again this year. It was actually better observing at the 4 nights I spent at Cherry Springs in May last year than at the CSSP…. and that was pretty good.

AutoPilot

Reged: 12/14/12

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
      #5621925 - 01/13/13 11:41 PM

Are there any hotels within driving distance that would be recommended? I'd like to attend a star party or two before I invest in camping gear.

Thanks, Mike

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: AutoPilot]
      #5622109 - 01/14/13 04:49 AM

The Mill Stream Inn in Coudersport is probably the best motel in the area.

Dave Mitsky

AutoPilot

Reged: 12/14/12

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
      #5627036 - 01/16/13 09:18 PM

Quote:

The Mill Stream Inn in Coudersport is probably the best motel in the area.

Dave Mitsky

Thanks for the suggestion. I was waiting for others to chime in, but appears this may be the best choice.

Mike

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: AutoPilot]
      #5627312 - 01/17/13 12:50 AM

You're welcome. Other motels in the area are listed at http://www.bfsp.org/starparty/accommodations.cfm

Dave Mitsky

ischua
Under the Radar

Reged: 07/17/08

Loc: Below Snow Plop, N Y
      #5633489 - 01/20/13 04:13 PM

Mail-in registration is now open

Brett Carlson
sage

Reged: 12/12/11

Loc: Rochester, NY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: ischua]
      #5635010 - 01/21/13 01:48 PM

I just sent out my registration! I'm excited as this will be my first large star party! I hope to get good use out of my freshly re-figured 16" Starfinder!

Any advice for a first time attendee?

ischua
Under the Radar

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: Brett Carlson]
      #5635445 - 01/21/13 05:51 PM

No laser pointers
Stay out of your car after dark unless you know how to turn all lights off before hand or you WILL get yelled at.
Tent camping? Eating in/out? Can be cold wet hot bugs or bears. I'm south of Buffalo so look us up.

Brett Carlson
sage

#5636397 - 01/22/13 08:42 AM

I'll be tent camping....I'll bring some food with me but I'm sure I'll get bored with that quickly enough.

I already got the info about no laser pointers but thanks for reminding me.

I live in Rochester, NY but I grew up in Warsaw NY...I used to shuffle over to Buffalo fairly often. I haven't been there in a while except for a couple Bills Games.

Funny Story...I brought my Bino's to a Bills game. The only pair I have are 20x80's so it was way over-kill for football but provided some great views. The funny part was the reaction of people who have never seen bino's that big before. Quote of the day was from a gut sitting behind me. I let him borrow them for a few plays and he remarked..."man...you can see into the future with these things!". I laughed my *BLEEP* off!

evrimi

Reged: 06/16/05

#5643591 - 01/25/13 11:44 PM

All my attempts to reach the club or event web site are a dead end, where else is the registration form available?

ischua
Under the Radar

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: evrimi]
      #5645208 - 01/26/13 10:19 PM

Quote:

All my attempts to reach the club or event web site are a dead end, where else is the registration form available?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cherry-Springs-Star-Party-2013/295858413801517

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

#5646159 - 01/27/13 02:24 PM

The ASH web site is under reconstruction.

Dave Mitsky

The Ardent
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
      #5647116 - 01/27/13 10:45 PM

I want to go, but June has very late sunsets and early sunrises.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: The Ardent]
      #5650132 - 01/29/13 11:46 AM

Quote:

Ya…. the wimps kept complaining about minor stuff like blizzards, temps in the low 20’s, and such…. So they moved it from April to May and now June. I’m planning on a 3 or 4 day run a month or two before CSSP, plus going to the star party.

CSSP is still a great opportunity for some dark sky observing along with all of the other activities of a very well-run star party. Yes there’s a shorter night, and less time before the spring time galaxies set, but you do get a good shot at “the summer Milky Way” late at night. I always ‘flex’ a day or two early…. or late…. to max out my chances under a clear sky. If the weather is good, you can expect half the field to be filled several days before the star party starts. Of course then you have to pay the camping fee and you are on your own for food.

I get a Galaxy Pass giving free camping for a year. You need 5 non-star party nights to break even, but…. the money is going for a good cause!

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

#5650356 - 01/29/13 01:45 PM

ASH has held the official Cherry Springs Star Party eight times. Three of them were in May, one taking place at mid-month and the others at the end of May. There has never been one in April. In years prior to 2005, there were a number of casual, "no frills" meets at the park that were promoted by ASH.

We also got complaints when the star party was held in May. Temperatures can drop well below freezing at the park in May. The issue of schools still being in session was another factor. Yet another was having the star party fall during the Memorial Day weekend.

I'd personally rather have the star party in July rather than June but people say it gets too hot in July for tent camping under the Sun.

Dave Mitsky

kreegan99

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: The Ardent]
      #5653470 - 01/31/13 12:29 AM

Quote:

That is the bummer part of the Cherry Springs Star Party. I agree with George though. I've had some of the best social observing I've ever experienced at CSSP. Last year we netted three nights of observing, and it was very comfortable. It is a good time to learn new objects, and strike up some amazing conversations.

I've never been there in the mid-May time frame, but like both Dave and George pointed out. That place can get really cold there. I think it hit 45F one of the nights this last year even in June.

Either way - it's really good times, and I highly recommend going!

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5661357 - 02/04/13 09:31 AM

Quote:

That place can get really cold there. I think it hit 45F one of the nights this last year even in June.

And you're from NY?!?!? Bwahahahaha!

Chuck Jennings

Reged: 01/18/11

Loc: Townsend, DE
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: t.r.]
      #5664774 - 02/06/13 08:10 AM

Does anyone know when the ASH website will be updated to allow for online registration via PayPal?

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: t.r.]
      #5665600 - 02/06/13 04:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That place can get really cold there. I think it hit 45F one of the nights this last year even in June.

And you're from NY?!?!? Bwahahahaha!

At least the snow melts at 45°F.

7lx200gps

Reged: 09/11/08

Loc: Lewisberry, PA
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: star drop]
      #5761307 - 03/27/13 09:04 PM

Hello friends:
Registration online by PayPal is now open and ready. You may send in your registration at your convenience if you plan to attend. Mail-in registration is also available and is open as well.

We need to forward to seeing you all at the star party! Clear Skies!

http://www.cherrysprings.org/

ssmith8292

Reged: 07/03/07

Loc: East Aurora, NY
      #5762409 - 03/28/13 01:31 PM

For some reason, their website seems to be a thing of the past for registration and any information about the star party. What a shame. Not all of us are Facebook Fans.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: ssmith8292]
      #5762587 - 03/28/13 03:23 PM

Everything was on it just now when I clicked, make sure you refresh your browser.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: DeanS]
      #5764507 - 03/29/13 12:12 PM

Here's the link to the 2013 Cherry Springs Star Party page.

http://www.cherrysprings.org/

Dave Mitsky

star drop
Snowed In

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: ssmith8292]
      #5764667 - 03/29/13 01:20 PM

Quote:

For some reason, their website seems to be a thing of the past for registration and any information about the star party. What a shame. Not all of us are Facebook Fans.

Hi Scott and welcome to Cloudy Nights. The clubs registration page now has functioning Paypal buttons.

Gary Honis
Vendor-DSLR Mods

Reged: 12/15/04

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: 7lx200gps]
      #5847629 - 05/08/13 12:03 PM

The Cherry Springs Star Party orginizers (ASH) really need to post some rules, regulations and star party etiquette on the new star party home page taking registrations. If not, people will be arriving with green laser pointers, uncovered computer screens and pets. It's tough to enforce field rules if they are not published, not that they've been enforced well by ASH in the past when they were published.

Just came back from Cherry Springs where we had six consecutive nights of clear skies through dawn. That hasn't happened in our area for a long time. I hope ASH does a better job of controlling field lighting issues this year and their lack of any posted rules is not an indication of what we will experience this year.

John Vogt

Reged: 10/26/05

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: Gary Honis]
      #5847844 - 05/08/13 02:02 PM

Hi Gary,

I almost hate to ask for fear of it being even worse, but is it any darker than last year?
I still have delusions that conditions will return to as they were pre-fracking..........

See you guys next month,
John

Gary Honis
Vendor-DSLR Mods

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: John Vogt]
      #5848169 - 05/08/13 04:41 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Hi John,

Tony Donnangelo had a Sky Quality meter and for the four clear nights he was there got readings ranging from 20.5 to 21.7. There was no flaring going on within a few miles of the park. Those readings are in line what we have seen the last few years since the fracking started in PA. See the graphic below. It is included in the YouTube video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBpP3uxJ3OY

Before the fracking began, the only skyglow was in the direction of Coudersport. Remember those days? Now the skyglow continues into the North, East, South and West. The only section of dark sky remaining low to the horizon is in the Southwest. Most of the skyglow is from the many fracking and support facilities that are widespread in adjacent counties, especially to the East. I have a Youtube video using the Google's "Earth At Night 2012" service along with PA fracking sites posted here:

http://youtu.be/EfJ9KwGKKkM

Still, where else in the Eastern US can we get away from worsening light pollution?

Looking forward to spending some time with you under the stars at CS next month.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5848269 - 05/08/13 05:27 PM

Quote:

.....Just came back from Cherry Springs where we had six consecutive nights of clear skies through dawn. That hasn't happened in our area for a long time. ....

I really wanted to do that! However, I had to live with observing from my yard, with SQM readings of 20.0 .....a long way from the Cherry Springs level, where I have gotten SQM readings of 21.7. However, I was still able to get down to mag 12 galaxies with my little 5-inch APO. Seeing was even pretty good 2 or 3 nights.

We had six clear nights in NY too. I don't ever remember observing for 6 nights in a row before.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5848271 - 05/08/13 05:28 PM

Any info on road conditions, or other local "issues" that we should be aware of before heading out to CSSP?

Brett Carlson
sage

#5848503 - 05/08/13 07:16 PM

Looking forward to this...it will be my first large star party!

Gary Honis
Vendor-DSLR Mods

#5848887 - 05/08/13 10:20 PM

Hi George,

All the local roads are open as far as I know. West Branch road to Galeton is scheduled for more work, but was open yesterday.

ischua
Under the Radar

#5852701 - 05/10/13 08:40 PM

A friend at work lives at the bottom of the hill (44 and 6) says the roads are about the same condition as last year.

star drop
Snowed In

#5852861 - 05/10/13 10:17 PM

That's still far better than my road.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5854264 - 05/11/13 06:55 PM

Quote:

Hi George,

All the local roads are open as far as I know. West Branch road to Galeton is scheduled for more work, but was open yesterday.

Gary, et al

West Branch is important to me, because I live to the northeast of Cherry Springs and arrive first in Galeton. I don't want to get down that road, find it blocked, and then have to back a trailer up 5 miles!

Gary Honis
Vendor-DSLR Mods

#5854549 - 05/11/13 11:02 PM

Hi George,

You may want to call the Lyman Run Park office before you are ready to head out. They would know the work schedule for West Branch Rd.

I forgot to mention that we had a pesky bear at Cherry Springs that was suffering with mange. I understand it was put down on Thursday. Images here:

http://home.ptd.net/~ghonis/May6Bear/May6Bear.html

kreegan99

#5854715 - 05/12/13 01:14 AM

Quote:

Hi George,

You may want to call the Lyman Run Park office before you are ready to head out. They would know the work schedule for West Branch Rd.

I forgot to mention that we had a pesky bear at Cherry Springs that was suffering with mange. I understand it was put down on Thursday. Images here:

http://home.ptd.net/~ghonis/May6Bear/May6Bear.html

Well a bear at the Cherry Springs Star Party might have been quite interesting Gary :-). I guess we will have to focus on the sky. :-)

ischua
Under the Radar

#5855558 - 05/12/13 02:02 PM

link for road work

http://www.511pa.com/

Gary Honis
Vendor-DSLR Mods

#5868927 - 05/18/13 08:12 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

A pesky bear with mange was hanging around the observing field during the day at Cherry Springs on May 6. He was put down three days later so he won't be attending the star party. We also saw a red fox at the end of the South field and there is a short clip of it at the end of this video. Best viewed in 1080P:

http://youtu.be/Rk7mLFa7pTs

star drop
Snowed In

#5869585 - 05/18/13 03:32 PM

^Ursa Manger

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5875689 - 05/21/13 12:00 PM

Quote:

^Ursa Manger

....around my place we have "Ursa Bird-feederisis" and "Ursa Garbagecanus Destructus"

star drop
Snowed In

#5878220 - 05/22/13 02:40 PM

That silenced bear might have wanted to be a speaker since there is ONLY one speaker listed for the star party.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5888136 - 05/27/13 11:48 PM

Who's going early? Those long-range forecasts are looking like Wed will be the only clear night of the entire week!

jsines
sage

Reged: 09/06/11

Loc: Berkley. Michigan
      #5892234 - 05/30/13 11:48 AM

I signed up yesterday, and it'll be my first star party! Imaging anywhere besides my white zone is always good, and it'll be even better since I added autoguiding to my setup last week. I went to a dark sky site a few months ago in northern Michigan, and I could only get 3 minutes unguided - the histogram was probably not fully past the left side of the camera either (still got great shots, though).

2 questions -
1. I can't arrive until Friday, anyone know if there will be a problem getting access to electrical outlets or a mount pad?
2. Since I just added autoguiding and PhD, I need to make my computer screen night friendly. Is there a recommended way to do this, either through software a red cover over the screen? It's an older Windows Vista laptop.

Thanks, and I'm really looking forward to this!

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: jsines]
      #5893010 - 05/30/13 06:24 PM

Quote:

I signed up yesterday, and it'll be my first star party! Imaging anywhere besides my white zone is always good, and it'll be even better since I added autoguiding to my setup last week. I went to a dark sky site a few months ago in northern Michigan, and I could only get 3 minutes unguided - the histogram was probably not fully past the left side of the camera either (still got great shots, though).

2 questions -
1. I can't arrive until Friday, anyone know if there will be a problem getting access to electrical outlets or a mount pad?
2. Since I just added autoguiding and PhD, I need to make my computer screen night friendly. Is there a recommended way to do this, either through software a red cover over the screen? It's an older Windows Vista laptop.

Thanks, and I'm really looking forward to this!

AC power and pad: Arriving on Friday, you will very likely have access to power, but I'd bet the pads will all be gone by Wednesday or earlier.

You can get a red plastic screen cover (call one of the vendors and ask them to bring one), but any light at Cherry Springs is reason for a "death sentence", so I suggest getting a cover (cardboard box?) to fully cover the PC, and look at it with some sort of cover, like a towel. Most imagers at CSSP put their PCs inside some sort of "cave".

.....but right now the long-range is mostly clouds and rain after Wed night. Hopefully it will change, and Cherry Springs is famous for weather forecasts being of little value.

YetAnotherHobby
sage

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Central CT
      #5893711 - 05/31/13 07:05 AM

Last year I showed up late on Friday afternoon and I was positioned far from an electrical outlet, but the folks nearby were kind enough to let me tap off their multi-outlet connection. Just be sure to bring a long extension cord!

djpontone

Reged: 04/27/08

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: YetAnotherHobby]
      #5893774 - 05/31/13 08:35 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62042743@N07/ may 4/5/2013 first 12 pictures. Had a great time except the skyglow was very disturbing thank u frackers.Hope the weather forecast changes .

star drop
Snowed In

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: djpontone]
      #5893935 - 05/31/13 10:14 AM

Quote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62042743@N07/ may 4/5/2013 first 12 pictures. Had a great time except the skyglow was very disturbing thank u frackers.Hope the weather forecast changes .

You got a picture of one of my friends at Cherry Springs. In the lower images is that your astro cat inside the telescope?

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5893936 - 05/31/13 10:14 AM

Long-range weather forecasts are looking a little better, but the best nights still appear to be Mon & Tue before the star party begins.

Right now my plans have a lot of "if's" and "maybe's". I might arrive on Monday, or.....

jsines
sage

Reged: 09/06/11

Loc: Berkley. Michigan
      #5897035 - 06/01/13 11:37 PM

Quote:

AC power and pad: Arriving on Friday, you will very likely have access to power, but I'd bet the pads will all be gone by Wednesday or earlier.

You can get a red plastic screen cover (call one of the vendors and ask them to bring one), but any light at Cherry Springs is reason for a "death sentence", so I suggest getting a cover (cardboard box?) to fully cover the PC, and look at it with some sort of cover, like a towel. Most imagers at CSSP put their PCs inside some sort of "cave".

.....but right now the long-range is mostly clouds and rain after Wed night. Hopefully it will change, and Cherry Springs is famous for weather forecasts being of little value.

Thanks for the suggestion on the cover for the PC. I was thinking about the blue lights on the computer right after I posted the question. I'll bring a cardboard box and a towel, and a few very long extension cords.

starneml

Reged: 04/30/07

#5897491 - 06/02/13 09:47 AM

Get red lens repair tape from auto supply shop or Wally's world.
One or two layers over offending blue, green and yellow laptop LEDs works wonders. And you can still tell if they at on or off.

djpontone

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: starneml]
      #5899112 - 06/03/13 07:37 AM

Leaving for cherry spring today two nites better than no nites.Yes ted to astro kat clear skies dan

robinsondd
sage

Reged: 05/28/07

#5902556 - 06/04/13 08:14 PM

Brett,

Weather can be an issue. Be prepared to moisture/waterproof your scope if you cannot get it into your tent/car/trailer. Dew can be bad there too. Hopefully, you have a dew prevention system for your secondary mirror and finder scope. There are no showers at the park but showers are available at Lyman Run (SIC?) State park about 7 miles down the road at $3 a shower. I use them every day I'm there. Other than that it's a great time!!!

robinsondd
sage

#5902567 - 06/04/13 08:23 PM

Okay, Shorter nights leaves more time for socializing, looking at everyone elses equipment, planning/organizing your short but intense night observing list during the day!

I was there for one of the May events and absolutely froze one night when it got below freezing. A new sleeping bag solved that problem. I was the one on the black motorcyle looking through everyone elses scopes.

robinsondd
sage

#5902604 - 06/04/13 08:40 PM

The EP's available for the raffle are outstanding. If it rains I will consider the CSSP a MINI vacation away from the "World" with a better chance of winning since no one else is coming!

P.S. I have a large 8 person tent that feels like a small RV to me...

Brett Carlson
sage

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: robinsondd]
      #5902643 - 06/04/13 09:04 PM

I think i'll be going down Sat night and maybe stay over Sunday night too. Two nights of rain..I've had enough camping trips like that!

Edited by Brett Carlson (06/05/13 12:52 PM)

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/13/04

Loc: Maryland
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: robinsondd]
      #5902749 - 06/04/13 09:57 PM

Quote:

The EP's available for the raffle are outstanding. If it rains I will consider the CSSP a MINI vacation away from the "World" with a better chance of winning since no one else is coming!

P.S. I have a large 8 person tent that feels like a small RV to me...

That's how I managed to win 7 door prizes there about 2 years ago. Rain scares people off, load up on tickets!

I won't be able to make it this year, have fun guys.

caheaton
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: zeldaboy101]
      #5904014 - 06/05/13 02:01 PM

I attended last year for the first time...fantastic weather for the most part (I arrived the Tuesday before and stayed through Sunday). I wasn't able to make it this year and given the forecast I don't feel so bad now .

Hopefully I can make it the Black Forest party (it'll be my first time attending that one).

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: caheaton]
      #5904885 - 06/05/13 10:33 PM

Monday night was quite good, particularly in the beginning. Later on, it did get a bit dewy. The transparency was not the best on Tuesday night but we were nevertheless able to observe until moonrise. Highlights included seeing Methuselah (the oldest known star), quite a few obscure planetary nebulae, and three comets including C/2012 F6 (Lemmon), which looked very good indeed on Tuesday morning.

http://freestarcharts.com/index.php/19-news-and-current-events/166-comet-lemm...

There were multiple bright ISS passes on both nights and a double Iridium flare and a bright tumbling satellite on Wednesday morning.

Due to a family isssue, I had to leave for home today. I hope that the weather forecast takes a turn for the better.

Dave Mitsky

ischua
Under the Radar

#5912091 - 06/09/13 09:31 PM

For me Tuesday was a great night that ended all too soon. The double Iridium flare was incredible. Wednesday we did get to use our scopes before things went to pot. Not much went down after the rains moved in spent way to much time in the vendor tent and spent way too much. I did not win any of the door prizes but still had the best time. The greatest thrill of Saturday was when Al Nagler joined us at our site. He even brought bags of his eyepieces for us to try. It was amazing to be able to sit and talk with him. I have never used that many eyepieces in my life. Al had a huge grin every time we gave someone the WOW,holy **** view in my scope. We were even able to give Al a few holy **** of his own. A once in lifetime All I know is I want some new eyepieces and filters now.

Brett Carlson
sage

#5912822 - 06/10/13 11:11 AM

How was the viewing on Sat? According to Cleardarksky the conditions were going to be iffy.

djpontone

#5912938 - 06/10/13 12:14 PM

Spent monday and tuesday night left wed morning i wish they had one star party a year in the fall. first 15 pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/62042743@N07/

ischua
Under the Radar

#5912979 - 06/10/13 12:34 PM

Quote:

How was the viewing on Sat? According to Cleardarksky the conditions were going to be iffy.

Saturday night started out cloudy but soon cleared out heavy dew was the order of the night but we stayed out till the fog came in.(3:30ish) Views of Saturn were great in the 8mm Delos. It was great night you can't trust the charts as Cherry Springs does have its own weather and can be clear when the surrounding towns are cloudy

Larry Mc

Reged: 09/29/08

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA.
      #5914225 - 06/10/13 10:41 PM

hi all,

I survived the Cherry Springs 2013 Deluge Party!
Actually Monday and Tuesday nights were both very good, along with Saturday evening after 11:30pm.
Spent Tuesday night making a time-lapse video using a low-light security video camera on a tripod.
I've loaded it to my Stellar Journeys YouTube site.

"The Scorpion Rises:"
http://youtu.be/pDJZugwFYRQ
Taken at the 2013 Cherry Springs Star Party on Tuesday 6/04/2013.
Captured using a Samsung SDC435 video camera using a 3mm CCTV lens.
Time-lapse 1 frame every 30 seconds over 6 hours - exposure up to 8 seconds.

Larry
Astronomical webportal: http://home.comcast.net/~lsmch/

star drop
Snowed In

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: Larry Mc]
      #5914235 - 06/10/13 10:50 PM

Hi Larry and welcome to Cloudy Nights.

Drat, I didn't know anyone was taking pictures.

star drop
Snowed In

#5916570 - 06/12/13 09:24 AM

This time the party made me feel like I was at home observing. The contrails were horrible. I wonder if they could establish a no fly zone?

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5916895 - 06/12/13 12:40 PM

Quote:

Spent monday and tuesday night left wed morning i wish they had one star party a year in the fall. first 15 pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/62042743@N07/

Not me. "Springtime galaxies" are my favorite part of the sky. Last year I spent something like 10 clear nights at Cherry Springs between May and June. I also like October there because then I can spend much of the night doing "Fall galaxies" until the winter Milky Way comes up late night. Of course freezing temps and frost can be expected at times, but that's "part of the fun".

Star parties are about more than "just observing". They are social and 'educational' (presentations, etc) events. Cherry Springs State Park is open the rest of the year (except for woodsmen's show) for observing.

I missed Monday night, although I knew it would be great. While Wednesday night had such low transparency that I did not even take my scopes out, Saturday night proved about the same as Tuesday - except for the dew. Dew after a period of steady rain is just a part of observing in the Northeast. The same thing happens to me at observing locations in NY and at Stellafane.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5916907 - 06/12/13 12:47 PM

Link to a "CSSP '13 Report" on the Kopernik Astro Society (KAS) Portal/blog: web page

....not my report, but I'm in the pictures.

There are some more pictures and discussion (might need to scroll down the page) of CSSP '13 on the KAS FaceBook group: FaceBook Group

Larry Mc

Reged: 09/29/08

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA.
      #5917964 - 06/12/13 11:12 PM

hi all,

Here's my full report of the 2013 Cherry Springs Star Party convention.
http://home.comcast.net/~lsmch/sp-reports/spr2013-CS.pdf

Included within the PDF are links to observing field pictures and video-capture images.
Enjoy!

Larry
Astronomical webportal:
http://home.comcast.net/~lsmch/

star drop
Snowed In

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: Larry Mc]
      #5918006 - 06/12/13 11:43 PM

Larry, I thoroughly enjoyed your presentation on the Venus transits. I was the guy near the front who asked afterwards if they could get better measurements using the diameter of Venus.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5918963 - 06/13/13 03:09 PM

Quote:

Larry, I thoroughly enjoyed your presentation on the Venus transits. .....

Me too! Very interesting!

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5918969 - 06/13/13 03:15 PM

Here ( 23 image Flickr photo set ) is a Flickr 'set' of 23 photos I took on Tuesday at the Pre-Party!

Tuesday provided a great night of observing, and Tue & Wed proved nice for daytime solar and planets (Jup, Merc, Venus).

More pics to follow.

star drop
Snowed In

#5919478 - 06/13/13 08:17 PM

How did you take the last picture?
The picture before that was interesting where the jet plane cut through the clouds. No one at our site noticed it until I pointed it out.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5920456 - 06/14/13 12:01 PM

Quote:

How did you take the last picture?
The picture before that was interesting where the jet plane cut through the clouds. No one at our site noticed it until I pointed it out.

Ted,

I had my JumboTron auto imaging system take that last one!

There were several of what I called "anti-contrails" where the plane cleared a path thru existing cloud! ....never saw that before.

As you pointed out before, there were lots of contrails at times that grew into a general cloud cover. It's a part of the "modern world" I guess. However, you can always figure on a good transparent night if the contrails disappear shortly behind the plane.

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/13/04

Loc: Maryland
      #5920804 - 06/14/13 03:39 PM

Quote:

It's called the Black Forest Star Party. Happens on the exact same observing field, but registration is by check only and always fills up weeks to months in advance. The most reliable star party I attend. Register asap.
http://bfsp.org/

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: zeldaboy101]
      #5921505 - 06/14/13 11:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's called the Black Forest Star Party. Happens on the exact same observing field, but registration is by check only and always fills up weeks to months in advance. The most reliable star party I attend. Register asap.
http://bfsp.org/

I’m not sure that all of the griping about the weather at this year’s CSSP is justified. Of the three “official” nights of the star party, two were cloudy/rainy, and one was clear for most of the night. If you add in the 3 nights before the star party, two were clear, and one had at least some observing. That’s a better than 50% percent clear night experience, with some periods of very good seeing and several good days of solar to boot. That was about the same percentage of clear nights as they had this year at the Texas Star Party.

I’ve only been to Black Forest one time, when it was in August (and Stellafane was in July), because I spend the month of September living in the Adirondacks (just as dark and my scopes are just outside the camp ready to go). I came away from that BFSP experience thinking that the CSSP guys do a better job of running a star party.

I also spend about 3 to 8 additional nights per year at Cherry Springs and in some ways prefer the lower on-field scope density of early spring or late fall. I am disappointed that I missed the 6 clear dark-window nights in May this year, but I decided to stay home to observe.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5925938 - 06/17/13 04:49 PM

Friday June 7 was one of the rainy days at the Cherry Springs Star Party 2013 in PA. This Flickr set ( Flickr photo set ) of 4 pictures gives an idea of what was going on. Monday, Tuesday and Saturday nights were clear.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5928388 - 06/18/13 10:51 PM

One more set of images from Saturday showing my friends, the members of the Kopernik Astro Society, setting up for a clear and dark night: Flickr set of 22 photos

Unlike prior years, I did not take any photos while walking around on the observing field or other areas at Cherry Springs.

Despite the clouds in this photos, it cleared soon after dark and was a great night until the fog came up around 3:30 AM.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

#5929421 - 06/19/13 02:36 PM

Quote:

I’m not sure that all of the griping about the weather at this year’s CSSP is justified. Of the three “official” nights of the star party, two were cloudy/rainy, and one was clear for most of the night. If you add in the 3 nights before the star party, two were clear, and one had at least some observing. That’s a better than 50% percent clear night experience, with some periods of very good seeing and several good days of solar to boot. That was about the same percentage of clear nights as they had this year at the Texas Star Party.

Regarding this year's Texas Star Party, Monday, Tuesday, and Friday nights were clear. Sunday night was clear for the first half of the night. Thursday night was partly cloudy, in the form of a couple of relatively long-lasting clearings. It was cloudy on Wednesday and Saturday nights.

Dave Mitsky

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5938795 - 06/24/13 10:04 PM

Wide-field view of Coma Berenices & Canes Venatici ( Flickr image )

Taken with Canon DSLR and 26mm lens, 6 minutes of total exposure, with camera riding on a tracking mount. Taken at Cherry Springs State Park, PA on a very poor night (June 5, 2013)….. still dark, but high cloud lowered transparency. It was so poor that I did not even bother to take my telescopes out, and it clouded up completely shortly after I took this.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5985081 - 07/22/13 08:42 PM

Bob Naeye, editor of Sky & Telescope Magazine, has a great Editorial in the September issue (just got the electronic version): "A Star Party Dear to my Heart" ~ all about the Cherry Springs Star Party! If you don't subscribe, it's worth the news stand price to read this one, at least if you have ever been to CSSP!

I've spent a few cloudy and clear evenings at CSSP with Bob. He's not only a great speaker, he's a great observing companion.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

#5993363 - 07/27/13 05:52 PM

It was a fine editorial. Bob, a long-time ASH member, gave an excellent talk on exoplanets at the July ASH meeting.

Dave Mitsky

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7693

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics