Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
Re: 2013 Staunton River Star Party Dates new [Re: zeldaboy101]
      #5710724 - 03/03/13 02:11 PM

I've been following the changing forecast too and I will wait a couple of days before making anything final. Last year there were a few wet areas, but most of the field was firm and dry.

Charlie B

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/13/04

Loc: Maryland
Re: 2013 Staunton River Star Party Dates new [Re: Charlie B]
      #5711990 - 03/04/13 06:51 AM

Would large amount of snow cancel the event and/or close the park?

spacenuut

Reged: 04/08/10

#5713326 - 03/04/13 08:38 PM

Observing field updat:
I went out to the observing field yesterday, Sunday, and it was in fairly good shape. There are a couple of wet areas but these are the usual spots. All in all the field is in good condition.

Of course it will change tomorrow night into Wednesday but the forcast is calling for the weather to clear out by Wednesday night. With luck, there will be little rain or snow and it will soak in by noon Thursday.

The park does NOT close because of snow. Fallen trees and lose of power will close the park but not snow.

I also wanted to let folks know that there is a swap meet on Saturday morning until noon. So bring your items that you may want to sell or swap.

If any thing changes I will post it here.

Jayme

spacenuut

Re: 2013 Staunton River Star Party Dates new [Re: spacenuut]
      #5716201 - 03/06/13 11:22 AM

Well, with all the best layed plans, we have no control over the weather. It's in the hands of a much higher authority.

The star party is still on have no doubt. However, do be careful if you are coming from a snow covered area. The most important thing is that everyone is safe.

The weather has pretty much wiped out our vendors. AstroGizmos is snowed in with 6 to 8 inches of snow and it's still coming. Hands on optics wasn't going to come do to a miss understanding but Gary probably couldn't make either.

Sorry folks.

I just wanted to let you know.

The park says they are getting some snow, but it's not sticking. At least it wasn't at 10am. The park is ready for us to show up.

I'll see you either tomorrow or in the next few days.

Jayme

The Ardent
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
      #5716208 - 03/06/13 11:26 AM

I will be there Friday at the latest.

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Re: 2013 Staunton River Star Party Dates new [Re: The Ardent]
      #5716288 - 03/06/13 12:22 PM

We're just getting 75% rain in the mixed precip right now east of DC. It's supposed to switch to heavy snow later but I think leaving thursday late morning is totally doable. I'll probably be there thursday afternoon, especially since we have 3 clear nights in a row after this storm!

spacenuut

#5727976 - 03/12/13 11:53 AM

Well it's in the record books for the Spring Star party. Three great nights of observing. We had some new faces but it was great seeing many returning friends. It seems that Pepper the squealing pig stole the show. A memory that will live in infamy.

Catapoman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/06/03

Loc: VA
      #5728884 - 03/12/13 07:53 PM

Jayme, you and the other CHAOS members did an excellent job organizing this event along with the superb Park's staff. IMO, the informal format was great in that it didn't make you feel as though you had to adhere to a schedule constantly.

Pepper should probably become the event's mascot.

eklf
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/12/07

Loc: Carrboro, NC
Re: 2013 Staunton River Star Party Dates new [Re: Catapoman]
      #5731733 - 03/14/13 07:50 AM

Quote:

Jayme, you and the other CHAOS members did an excellent job organizing this event along with the superb Park's staff. IMO, the informal format was great in that it didn't make you feel as though you had to adhere to a schedule constantly.

robinsondd
sage

Reged: 05/28/07

Re: 2013 Staunton River Star Party Dates new [Re: eklf]
      #5732663 - 03/14/13 06:06 PM

DITTO!!!

Quote:

Quote:

robinsondd
sage

Reged: 05/28/07

#5732669 - 03/14/13 06:14 PM

Jayme,

Awesome star party. I too enjoyed the low key event. I did not attend the October event due to my frustrations with the heavy vehicle traffic at your inaugural event. Decided to give the event another try this spring and enjoyed it. I'm impressed again with the Park's very friendly and co-operative staff (tractor drivers!). Hope to attend for years to come.

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Re: 2013 Staunton River Star Party Dates new [Re: robinsondd]
      #5741656 - 03/18/13 08:24 PM

It was a fantastic star party despite being a little muddy in the beginning. My only complaint would be the numerous incidents with white lights, people repeatedly locking/unlocking their car, and the kid with the light up shoes that were insanely bright and really annoying our group when we were trying to bag mag 16 galaxies.

I did manage to get a couple of hickson compact galaxy clusters in my 16, including Hickson 55, with at least mag 16.6 being visible, potentially a 16.8 and 17.0 as well.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2334

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics