Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)
Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: always cloudy, washington
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: SteveG]
      #5740879 - 03/18/13 02:56 PM

Cool. At least there is the chance of company. If the weather report is bad for Thursday, I may wait as well. The extra day off will still help me get ready to shift my sleep schedule from getting up at 3:45am to going to bed around then.

On a side note there is blue sky above me right now. The clouds are thinning. Maybe we will have some good weather...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarkSkys
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/10

Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern ...
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5741894 - 03/18/13 10:01 PM

I might end up haveing to come down Wensday, and leaveing thursday or friday( if I can get friday off). My new job has me working the weekends after mid may.

Quote:

Quote:

We have missed this one the last two years. If work schedules allow, we will be there this year.

Terrific!

Quote:

Anyone thinking about trying a May trip (weather permitting)?

Yes, I'd like to take Minnow down during the May new moon weekend (or maybe later) and leave it for the season but I've made no definite plans. I wouldn't order up a honey bucket.

I remember when we had our first star party there, in a late May, that our friend's dog dish froze all the way to the bottom -- you've been warned!

If a may party happens, I could probably do it.

Cold, Shmold, I've got a huge furnace in my camper.

Edited by DarkSkys (03/18/13 10:11 PM)

groz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/07

Loc: Campbell River, BC
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: DarkSkys]
      #5741934 - 03/18/13 10:20 PM

Quote:

Cold, Shmold, I've got a huge furnace in my camper.

We have upgraded the van since our last run to goldendale, the old hippy van has morphed into a roadtrek 190, so we have a furnace and honey bucket on board now. I upgraded its house battery so we have 140ah of 12v goodness to power telescope gear.

Oh, and we changed out a couple of telescopes too. Chris won't be drooling over somebody else's tak anymore, I bought her a toa-130 last fall.

If we make it down, it'll be the first time out into the field with the new gear.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: groz]
      #5756662 - 03/25/13 05:38 PM

Quote:

I upgraded its house battery so we have 140ah of 12v goodness to power telescope gear.

Please, Mum, may I borrow a cup of electrons?

LenS

Reged: 03/24/13

Loc: Bellevue, Washington
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: Spaced]
      #5756693 - 03/25/13 05:52 PM

I haven't heard of the star party before but am intrigued by the site and easy access to Goldendale (for my wife). If the weather coorperates I may join you all and bring my new 16" Orion GoTo Dob. My 30 year old 17.5" Odyssey is just too big to carry in my truck anymore so I've downsized. Is there a point of contact for this star party?

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: LenS]
      #5756818 - 03/25/13 06:53 PM

Len, welcome to Cloudy Nights!

I hope you and your wife decide to join us at the star party. With good weather we get very good skies -- darker than TMSP but not to OSP standards.

Really, this thread is the best point of contact for most questions; it can be helpful to get more than one person's opinion about an issue. There's no registration or anything similar. If you'd like to talk to me about the event or obtain my email address, just send me contact information in a Private Message - (click on my user name & find the "send message" button.)

groz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/07

Loc: Campbell River, BC
      #5757197 - 03/25/13 11:01 PM

Quote:

There's no registration or anything similar.

Well, there is the potluck, which really isn't a competition....

square_peg
Postmaster

Reged: 03/26/04

Loc: Maple Valley, WA
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: groz]
      #5757317 - 03/26/13 12:49 AM

I was just remembering the wind last year on Saturday. Worst night I've had there out of about a dozen. Sure was nice of Stacy to offer the hospitality of his RV that night for music and drinks.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: square_peg]
      #5758185 - 03/26/13 12:56 PM

Yeah, it was The Howler for sure. Sky time would have been better, but I have to admit that it was kind of fun to deal with salvaging awnings, tents, etc. in the midst of what felt like a hurricane. I hope that was the last time we have to move cars & trucks to create anchor points for tent guy lines. And I was really amused at the sight the next morning, of Steve sound asleep inside his flattened tent.

Remember how a couple of the struts on my EZ-Up were damaged? I ordered replacements (two kinds) last August and I *still* don't have them all! First I received one, probably in Oct., then two more in January, but the final two were the wrong ones. Perpetual back order.

Quote:

Well, there is the potluck, which really isn't a competition....

Yeah, that's what losers always say!

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5758316 - 03/26/13 02:08 PM

Quote:

Yeah, it was The Howler for sure. Sky time would have been better, but I have to admit that it was kind of fun to deal with salvaging awnings, tents, etc. in the midst of what felt like a hurricane. I hope that was the last time we have to move cars & trucks to create anchor points for tent guy lines. And I was really amused at the sight the next morning, of Steve sound asleep inside his flattened tent.

In spite of that, I still had a fantastic time! The July weekend made up for the lack of viewing in June.

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

#5758550 - 03/26/13 04:10 PM

It was fun and exciting taking down the shelters before they were completely destroyed. It is worth the risk to go. One good night in Goldendale is worth a 4 hour drive each way. Two or 3 would be much better.
Did you remember to put in the weather order Mike?

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5758560 - 03/26/13 04:12 PM

Quote:

Did you remember to put in the weather order Mike?

Yeah, but I'm putting it off 'til I order the Honey Bucket.

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

#5761027 - 03/27/13 06:41 PM

I seriously thought Tom, Sean, Mike and I were going for a tent ride across the fields of Goldendale.

HERE is a video of the event. We all escaped serious injury.

square_peg
Postmaster

Reged: 03/26/04

Loc: Maple Valley, WA
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: Stacy]
      #5761609 - 03/28/13 12:44 AM

Quote:

HERE is a video of the event. We all escaped serious injury.

That's a pretty good representation of what happened. I'm grateful for everyone's help which allowed my canopy to survive.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: square_peg]
      #5763045 - 03/28/13 07:36 PM

And here is an actual video from the following morning:
http://youtu.be/ydJ0meVNL4Q

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: LenS]
      #5763951 - 03/29/13 09:16 AM

Quote:

I haven't heard of the star party before but am intrigued by the site and easy access to Goldendale (for my wife). If the weather coorperates I may join you all and bring my new 16" Orion GoTo Dob. My 30 year old 17.5" Odyssey is just too big to carry in my truck anymore so I've downsized. Is there a point of contact for this star party?

Welcome to cloudynights. You should definitely come to this star party. Mike's land in Goldendale has become one of my favorite placesin the state. Nice people who are fun to view with and a large variety of different telescopes and binoculars to check out. Very nice skies as well (except when the eastern half of the state is on fire).

I got a great deal on a 13 ethos yesterday. We'll have 2 for you to try out now Mike. . I couldn't pass it up because I was actually looking for a 13 when I bought the 21. This isn't the right thread for this talk though but, I am excited that we will be able to have it at the star party.

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Reged: 11/07/04

Loc: Loc: Loc:
      #5764362 - 03/29/13 11:37 AM

Quote:

I got a great deal on a 13 ethos yesterday. We'll have 2 for you to try out now Mike. . I couldn't pass it up because I was actually looking for a 13 when I bought the 21. This isn't the right thread for this talk though but, I am excited that we will be able to have it at the star party.

Hey, what about me? Can I try it out too...
You can try my 30mm Meade UWA...this baby is a monster at just a tick under 4" in diamater!

Quote:

(except when the eastern half of the state is on fire).

...and even then, there's fun to be had.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: Sky Captain]
      #5764802 - 03/29/13 02:02 PM

You're going to love the 13, Sean. I've had one for a couple of years now, and it probably gets more use than any of my (few) other EPs. In 2011 I successfully completed OSP's Intermediate Viewing Challenge (or whatever they call it), using Telrad + 13E to find targets, so it makes an excellent finder. I've never looked through a 21E though, and I'm looking forward to comparing it with my other two wide field EPs. (26 T5 and 41 Pan).

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 [Re: Spaced]
      #5765679 - 03/29/13 08:23 PM

Darn it. I thought I was bringing another one you didn't have yet. I thought you had a 6mm (which may be my last one at some point). Anyway, the 21 can go in your focuser and I look forward to the awesome combo of your mirror and that eyepiece. the 26 will probably edge it out because of less glass. Just a prediction, no actual data to support it.

The 21e is absolutely huge. I am going to try rebalancing my dob this weekend for the moonlite and giant eyepiece combo. I don't want to do it out in the field somewhere and I want to be ready.

I am going to really enjoy this trip down. 3 full observing nights and possibly a partial for Wednesday night, if I can get my butt in gear.

Kerry, you can try it too but, you bought the same type last time I let you try one. It could get expensive if you keep trying them :-) Have you used the 8" astrograph visually? How does it do?

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Reged: 11/07/04

Loc: Loc: Loc:
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5765764 - 03/29/13 09:22 PM

Quote:

Have you used the 8" astrograph visually? How does it do?

It works for visual and that's one reason I bought it...grab & go alt/az set up.
But it wasn't what I expected and I just use it for video, which it excells at quite well.
All and all, I don't recommend it for visual use, Toms 8" F6 dob is far better in my opinion for the visual use and transport.

Quote:

It could get expensive if you keep trying them :-)

Well, if that's what has to happen...I'm not gonna complain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7953

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics