Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
Re: Its sad! new [Re: UND_astrophysics]
      #6130092 - 10/10/13 10:49 PM

Quote:

exactly why I do not attend "star parties" or anything else involving scopes. Nothing more annoying than people blabbing or bothering me while enjoying the solitude of observing through a nice telescope. Add to that the kids messing with equipment, bums walking off with expensive eyepieces, and others asking for the fiftieth time our LAT LONG coordinates. Sounds like they are more trouble than they are worth.

Just curious, are your statements based on your personal experience or based on hearsay? If it's based on your reality then I suggest you attend higher quality star parties. Find those based in remote locations that require effort to get to. This is often a fine filter to cut out the majority of the riff raff. On the other hand as is known, some filters leak. Such is life. If you enjoy observing alone then do so and enjoy it. Star parties aren't for everyone.

99% of the time I observe alone so I attend star parties so that I can meet up with others who like to observe because for the most part I don't find that with my club. On the whole I expect my "hard core" observing to be somewhat disrupted by the star party atmosphere but I think it's a fair trade off. After all party is in the name. It is unfortunate about the OP's story but I won't let it sully my general opinion about star parties.

Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Its sad! new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #6131168 - 10/11/13 01:36 PM

I went to a star party a few years ago. Now that's the only time/place I observe. Far too much LP around my place after being spoiled by dark skies in remote locations. I avoid the crowded ones now, opting instead for our smaller gatherings. Some of our group, observe in silence and we rarely see them. Others are more social. Different strokes...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1600

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics