Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: Stacy]
      #6156122 - 10/24/13 06:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am available! I can do Friday and Saturday.

Ok looks like a "go" for me as well. I am looking at a Friday 6pm or so arrival and departing on Sunday.

Anybody else?

Looks like I'm going to have to bag my "wild hair" Goldendale trip. Too many projects as it is and now I find out the landscapers are coming this weekend. We need to move our plants, including a medium evergreen tree, back about 3 feet to make room for the new road in front of our house.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stacy
Star Partyer

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: astronomania]
      #6156208 - 10/24/13 07:26 PM

Quote:

Man, I wish I could!!
My wife wrecked her truck this morning, so no trips for a while.

Looks like I missed this one! Hope everybody is ok.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: SteveG]
      #6156554 - 10/24/13 11:06 PM

Quote:

Ron, great sun pic, and so sorry about your wife's misfortune!
I might do Rattlesnake Lake Sunday night.

Mike - Congrat's on getting your Megrez 80 sold!

I will most likely do Rattlesnake lake on Sunday, assuming that it's clear. It will be an early night but if I start right around 8 I can get ~4 hours of imaging.

BradleyB
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Olympia, WA
      #6156563 - 10/24/13 11:15 PM

Well there isn't really a good spot picked out here in the Black Hills near Olympia. But there ought to be. The hills have been poking up through the fog the whole time. I actually got up out of it just barely on my walk today, which takes me about 400 ft more elevation than I am here at 400ft (so up to about 800ft).

Tom (Square Peg) and I ventured up Capitol Peak and Rock Candy Mtn a few years ago. There are good views from Rock Candy, but no place to camp, and barely any place to set up, it's sort of a rocky outcrop. It would be a good place to see something at sunrise or sunset (like comets) and then vamoose.

What I'd really like to do is reconnoiter the area to see if there isn't a good place we can sort of take over with space to camp and good views. Even without fog in the low lands it's pretty dark so long as one is not on the town side of the hills.

However this weekend is not looking very clear now. So a good time to explore, but maybe not for viewing. If we find a good spot, then we can be ready to pounce when the conditions are good.

Brad

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: BradleyB]
      #6156622 - 10/25/13 12:13 AM

Okay here's a new one for me. One of my students who has volunteered for the forest service suggested Suntop Firewatch tower, East of Enumclaw:

Quote:

Suntop
Perched on a 5,271-foot open knoll just to the north of Mount Rainier National Park, is the restored 1934-built Suntop fire tower. Reached by FR 7315 (off of FR 73 near The Dalles Campground on SR 410) Suntop is a popular family picnicking and sightseeing spot. Hikers and mountain bikes can access it by following a 7.5 mile trail from Buck Creek off of SR 410. And snowshoers and cross-country skiers follow the closed road in winter to the lookout. ref: http://www.visitrainier.com/pg/fire_lookouts_pg2/Fire-Lookouts-of-Mount-Rainier

According to my student its got dark skies, and only 45 minutes from Auburn. He said that when he volunteered there, people went up with scopes to observe from time to time. I cannot make it this weekend as I am helping my students test out a monster trebuchet.

If all goes well we'll be chucking pumpkins the following weekend

Ajay

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: bluedandelion]
      #6156781 - 10/25/13 03:40 AM Attachment (9 downloads)

well, I made it to Winthrop. got here a little later than I wanted so decided to lounge this evening and set up tomorrow. as luck would have it, it turned out to be a good plan since the power went off a while ago. Twisp looks completely dark, and Winthrop just has a few lights probably connected to Generators.

15 second exposure

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: zerro1]
      #6157384 - 10/25/13 12:34 PM

Quote:

Mike - Congrat's on getting your Megrez 80 sold!

Thanks, I think. I'm waiting for payment. I'm a little goosey about the buyer; he was a bit too cryptic about his name and phone number for my comfort level and he wanted me to send the scope before receiving the bucks, but it's probably OK. It's all boxed up and ready to hit the UPS store.

So a little investigation and a couple of phone calls tells me this:

-- Brad bore bad news from the weather guesser and I don't think I'll expect astronomy this weekend. I might consider Sunday night if the timing of the expected clearing is right.

-- I spoke to a ranger at the Enumclaw Forest Svc. office. He told me that the road to Suntop is open and he enthused about its suitability as an observing site. I think I'll drive up there tomorrow during the day, just as an excursion to check it out.

-- The roads to Sunrise & to Mowich are closed for the season (although Sunrise Rd. is open to hikers & bikers.)

And Robert, I really like the photo!

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: Spaced]
      #6157411 - 10/25/13 12:52 PM

Thank You Mike

Just my opinion, but "no money, NO SEND"... it's not customary in any way to ship to an unknown prior to payment. I buy a lot of stuff(pretty much all my astro gear)used and never have an expectation to take posession prior to payment.

Again, thats just MHO

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: zerro1]
      #6157677 - 10/25/13 03:28 PM

That's always been my attitude too, Robert. But I was pleasantly surprised when the seller of the NP 101 sent it off as soon as I told him the check was in the mail. He offered, I didn't ask.

The mount for that scope was waiting for me at the office this morning. Haven't peered beneath the padding yet. So that's a bit of a relief.

Spaced
Post Laureate

#6157754 - 10/25/13 04:25 PM

Hey, you talented imagers . . . my S & T newsletter today has a link to a Comet ISON photo contest: right here.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#6158007 - 10/25/13 06:32 PM

Hey folks I am heading to Cle Elum tonight for imaging. Just thought to let the group know if anyone was interested in joining me.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

#6158208 - 10/25/13 09:04 PM

Quote:

-- I spoke to a ranger at the Enumclaw Forest Svc. office. He told me that the road to Suntop is open and he enthused about its suitability as an observing site. I think I'll drive up there tomorrow during the day, just as an excursion to check it out.

And Robert, I really like the photo!

I am very interested in your scouting report Mike. If this works out, we'll have a nice spot close by for a quick outing.

I agree that last image by Robert is a very nice nightscape.

Ajay

Spaced
Post Laureate

#6158516 - 10/26/13 12:44 AM

Yes, I'm looking forward to it. I think I'll probably leave in the 11:00 - 1:00 time frame, probably in the second half of it, after some chores. I figure round trip from Tacoma about 4 hours, including some dallying time at the top. Anyone want to go? Enumclaw would be a good rendezvous point for people from the far north (such as Auburn.) We could consolidate to just my Exploder and pick up your car on the way back. I expect a very bad road for a couple of miles.

I may take some pictures and I'll certainly let you know what I see.

Incidentally, the Gibraltar tripod/mount is absolutely succulent. They're just beautiful walnut legs and the hardware is without sin. The seller spoke of some minor scuffs; I haven't seen it in the sunshine yet but so far the legs just look perfect. I feel lucky.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

#6159038 - 10/26/13 12:08 PM

Far North? I feel like Nanook.

Hope you like what you see Mike. I am off to test the Pumpkin Chunker. If all goes well, you are all invited to our event next weekend.

Ajay

Spaced
Post Laureate

#6159200 - 10/26/13 01:35 PM

Quote:

If all goes well, you are all invited to our event next weekend.

I'll wear my Prussian spiked helmet and try to catch one.

Slight change of plans: I'm going to drive up to Suntop tomorrow, not today, still leaving mid-day. Anyone?

Edit: I just spoke with a friend who knows Rob. Rob & his wife haven't moved yet.

Edited by Spaced (10/26/13 01:56 PM)

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

#6159692 - 10/26/13 07:34 PM

Quote:

Incidentally, the Gibraltar tripod/mount is absolutely succulent. They're just beautiful walnut legs and the hardware is without sin. The seller spoke of some minor scuffs; I haven't seen it in the sunshine yet but so far the legs just look perfect. I feel lucky.

I love the look of those dark, walnut legs! I'm definitely a leg man

Stacy
Star Partyer

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: andysea]
      #6160146 - 10/27/13 02:45 AM

Quote:

Hey folks I am heading to Cle Elum tonight for imaging. Just thought to let the group know if anyone was interested in joining me.

Thanks for the heads up Andy. Maybe next time.

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
      #6160638 - 10/27/13 12:05 PM

I talked with Robs wife at the commissary yesterday and they have had no call back and are not able to get in touch with anyone and thus have NOT moved to Texas, yet. FYI.

Stacy
Star Partyer

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #6161587 - 10/27/13 10:18 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Meet the new "Baby". Maybe I'll call it "Vader" since it looks like it was made on the "dark side" of Stellarvue. I love it.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens Eterna Thread Pt 7 [Re: Stacy]
      #6161639 - 10/27/13 10:55 PM

Very nice Stacy! I hope you bring it with you the at the next outing so that i can look through it:)

Andy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15828

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics