Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Cherry Springs, PA new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #6136919 - 10/14/13 12:56 PM

Quote:

CSSP regular Gary Honis recently posted an aerial video of the park shot from a remotely-controlled helicopter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Vw-OGr0z_9I

Dave Mitsky

That's really neat!

For anyone who has not been to Cherry Springs, what is not shown in the video is: the CCC era log pavilion where the presentations are given during the 2 star parties, and the camping sites along the south edge of the old airfield. Both of these are under the trees.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Daniel8802
sage

Reged: 04/11/07

Loc: Sewell, NJ, USA
      #6141938 - 10/16/13 10:15 PM

That was an awesome video and great tour of the park!! I'm hoping for a CME now when I get there to see the auroras. I've never really had a good view of them, so that's something to look forward to as well!

Daniel8802
sage

Re: Cherry Springs, PA new [Re: Daniel8802]
      #6141952 - 10/16/13 10:19 PM

Also, does anyone know what the power is like in observatories? How much can it draw and what kind of devices can I plug in? If I wanted to plug in my goto, an occasional hair dryer (dew build up) as well as a coffee pot perhaps would that over load the system?

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#6142072 - 10/16/13 11:48 PM

Quote:

Also, does anyone know what the power is like in observatories? How much can it draw and what kind of devices can I plug in? If I wanted to plug in my goto, an occasional hair dryer (dew build up) as well as a coffee pot perhaps would that over load the system?

You better call the park and ask. You have to call to reserve one anyway. I've heard rumors that there are problems with one or more of the domes.

All of the AC on the field is suppose to be for astro gear only, but if you ask nice, they might agree to a coffee pot.

Daniel8802
sage

Re: Cherry Springs, PA new [Re: George N]
      #6142713 - 10/17/13 11:11 AM

I do have an observatory reserved already so no worries there. I sent them an email so we will say what they say. Maybe I can find a DC power coffee pot and plug it into a portable battery pack hah!

Skywatchr
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/03/06

Loc: North-Central Pa.
      #6143287 - 10/17/13 04:32 PM

Don't worry, the circuits can handle a coffee pot.

AsleepAtTheScope
journeyman

Reged: 11/22/10

#6143834 - 10/17/13 09:57 PM

I notice in the video that pretty much no one is set up over by the observatories. I came early to the 2013 Black Forest star party and noticed the same thing. Is there some reason to avoid being closer to the park entrance?

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Cherry Springs, PA new [Re: AsleepAtTheScope]
      #6143867 - 10/17/13 10:17 PM

Light spillover from vehicles leaving the area across the street, inability to see a good chunk of the northern sky and the high traffic in the area is why we don't set up there.

AsleepAtTheScope
journeyman

Reged: 11/22/10

Re: Cherry Springs, PA new [Re: star drop]
      #6143908 - 10/17/13 10:45 PM

Quote:

Light spillover from vehicles leaving the area across the street, inability to see a good chunk of the northern sky and the high traffic in the area is why we don't set up there.

Ah! Thanks

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cherry Springs, PA new [Re: star drop]
      #6145610 - 10/18/13 09:02 PM

Quote:

Also, during the daytime, the public has "discovered" the bathrooms, and there can be frequent drive-ins to use the bathrooms from folks going by on the highway. Although they are not a problem, all of this driving can kick up dust during dry periods.

On the other hand, you are closer to the bathrooms when you set up there, and people leaving their scopes on the field, but staying in a local motel or B&B, can get to their car across the road with a shorter walk.

Personally, I prefer to set up my scopes around the middle of the field, but put my tent under the trees along the west side of the field. That gives the best sky coverage, and is usually the driest part of the field.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#6145616 - 10/18/13 09:06 PM

BTW, I'm still thinking of going to CSSP for one more 3 or 4 night run when the moon goes away. However, the weather guys are saying our warm weather is going away too, and we might start seeing the first wet snowflakes of the year next week, so I need to find my long underwear and winter sleeping bag!

Daniel8802
sage

#6146199 - 10/19/13 08:27 AM

I'm kind of excited that it will be cold when I go up, and a chance of snow would be nice too! I will be staying in a cabin so I'm not totally roughing it at least. I'll be staying in kenshire campground and the cabins have heat, electric and hot water.

Those are good points you made about the observatories. Maybe I'll setup one scope in and one scope out of it. But if it we do end up having a nice coating of snow on the ground I'll be glad I reserved one!

ischua
Under the Radar

Reged: 07/17/08

Loc: Below Snow Plop, N Y
      #6154326 - 10/23/13 07:56 PM

From the PA DCNR they are showing these dates for next year

Cherry Springs Star Party
6/26/14 THU 6/29/14 SUN

Black Forest Star Party
8/22/14 FRI 8/24/14 SUN

Daniel8802
sage

Re: Cherry Springs, PA new [Re: ischua]
      #6157937 - 10/25/13 05:54 PM

How have things been up there for people who go when there is not a schedule star party? I am worried that I may have a washed-out sky due to the natural gas drilling. My only hope maybe that (the new campground) I made a reservation for is 40 minutes south of CSSP.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cherry Springs, PA new [Re: ischua]
      #6159406 - 10/26/13 03:47 PM

Quote:

From the PA DCNR they are showing these dates for next year

Cherry Springs Star Party
6/26/14 THU 6/29/14 SUN

Black Forest Star Party
8/22/14 FRI 8/24/14 SUN

Going......

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#6159419 - 10/26/13 03:56 PM

Quote:

How have things been up there for people who go when there is not a schedule star party? I am worried that I may have a washed-out sky due to the natural gas drilling. My only hope maybe that (the new campground) I made a reservation for is 40 minutes south of CSSP.

I've not been to Cherry Springs, other than a major star party, since last year - when I did two non-party observing runs. However, it's my understanding that, thanks to the low gas prices, drilling in Potter Co is currently close to, or at, nil. Beyond that, any impact would only be a noticeable but limited light pillar near the horizon - certainly not anything like "a washed out sky". You will be hard pressed to find better skies in the eastern half of North America, and a friend who recently went to Oki-Tex told me that in some whys he thinks Cherry Springs is better.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1367

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics