Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Winter Star Party 2014
      #6257729 - 12/17/13 09:24 AM

It's cold, snowy and cloudy here again and winter hasn't even started yet!! Temps have been below average all across the continent...

I know it is something like 10 weeks away but I really need to get my mind off the local weather...

So......

Who's going to WSP 2014? What scope will you bring? What observing goals do you have for those steady Florida skies? How many shorts-and-a-Tshirt days will there be?

Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: Cotts]
      #6257881 - 12/17/13 10:46 AM

Cabin fever already????

Cotts
Just Wondering

Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: DeanS]
      #6258143 - 12/17/13 01:06 PM

Ye gods, yes. I'd tear my hair out if I had any.

You goin', Dean? Or are you just rubbing it in?

Dave

DeanS
Post Laureate

#6258205 - 12/17/13 01:47 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

I am going again, need my Feb fix of sunshine and margaritas.

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
      #6259944 - 12/18/13 11:55 AM

Livin' in the wrong part of Canada I guess. ' )
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/14-day-weather-trend/canada/british-columbia...
Planning on some solar observing on lunch break today.

Bill

FarrOut
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Tampa
Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #6260169 - 12/18/13 02:03 PM

Gosh Dave, I'll bet it costs a TON of money to go to the Florida Keys. Isn't there a better use for that money?

Alvan Clark
sage

Reged: 03/13/10

Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: FarrOut]
      #6260366 - 12/18/13 03:41 PM

Quote:

Gosh Dave, I'll bet it costs a TON of money to go to the Florida Keys.

From New England I've done it for about $200 to stay, several hundred for gas and tolls, plus a $100 or a little more for a couple cheap motel stops. Not a ton for a week in the Keys.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: FarrOut]
      #6261095 - 12/18/13 11:40 PM

Quote:

Gosh Dave, I'll bet it costs a TON of money to go to the Florida Keys. Isn't there a better use for that money?

Looking up last year's costs, It was just under $1000 for gas, food, motels and Star Party fees. Not so bad really?

As for what I could get for $1000 that would give me more use/pleasure than going to the WSP -- nothing comes to mind...

Dave

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
      #6281458 - 12/30/13 03:39 PM

It's a very reasonable place to stay in the Keys during high season. But watch out for fire ants and Key West. The latter will blow your budget...happily I might add.

stevenwav
sage

Reged: 02/06/12

Loc: New England
      #6281600 - 12/30/13 04:42 PM

I am thinking of attending, had a great time last year. I can only take a week off of work, so driving two or three days each way from MA is problematic. Without my own vehicle, bringing a scope/mount/tripod and ep's is also problematic. I may have to mooch off of others for views. That is fine I guess but would I really would like to have a scope of my own to use. I have large scopes -except for my TMB 100 f/8. If I had my druthers, I would bring my Dall Kirkham as it is my largest aperture. Large aperture rules down there from what I found. I suppose any scope I bring would bring in better views than what I am getting up here though - even a 4" refractor. Still weighing possibilities.

bierbelly
Postmaster

Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: stevenwav]
      #6281650 - 12/30/13 05:07 PM

Quote:

I am thinking of attending, had a great time last year. I can only take a week off of work, so driving two or three days each way from MA is problematic. Without my own vehicle, bringing a scope/mount/tripod and ep's is also problematic. I may have to mooch off of others for views. That is fine I guess but would I really would like to have a scope of my own to use. I have large scopes -except for my TMB 100 f/8. If I had my druthers, I would bring my Dall Kirkham as it is my largest aperture. Large aperture rules down there from what I found. I suppose any scope I bring would bring in better views than what I am getting up here though - even a 4" refractor. Still weighing possibilities.

Check into driving down here to Lorton, VA and taking the AutoTrain down to Sanford/Orlando. It's about an 8 hr drive from there to Scout Key, where the WSP is. Still best to find a place in the Keys to spend the night before WSP. Eh, drive fast?

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: bierbelly]
      #6281868 - 12/30/13 07:05 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

I wish we had the car/train option down I-75. Oh well, two long days drive for five possible night observing in February sounds really good to me.

I'll be arriving early Sunday morning to wait in that line. At least I'll be able to sack out till noon in style this year as I'll be dragging my little teardrop trailer down to it's second star party. No tent or red ants for me, although if you have some Amdro you'll be fine as long as you don't set up next to an anthill.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: JimMo]
      #6282125 - 12/30/13 08:59 PM

Cool looking teardrop. Looks retro.

stevenwav
sage

#6282151 - 12/30/13 09:06 PM

I will look i to the car/train AND driving fast. A quick stop at Joe's Stone Crab wouldn't be a bad idea either I suppose!

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
      #6282260 - 12/30/13 09:52 PM

A stop at Joe's will definitely blow your budget. I suggest checking out Key's Fisheries in Marathon, Fl (close to WSP). They supply the Stone Crabs for Joe's but are only $2 a piece at the bar.

stevenwav
sage

Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: crazyqban]
      #6282319 - 12/30/13 10:22 PM

I love it! Thanks for the tip- this is what the CN site is all about. All of this talk is really getting me psyched for the trip. I need to figure out how to get there with a scope.

Cotts
Just Wondering

#6283245 - 12/31/13 11:22 AM

Quote:

I wish we had the car/train option down I-75. Oh well, two long days drive for five possible night observing in February sounds really good to me.

I'll be arriving early Sunday morning to wait in that line. At least I'll be able to sack out till noon in style this year as I'll be dragging my little teardrop trailer down to it's second star party. No tent or red ants for me, although if you have some Amdro you'll be fine as long as you don't set up next to an anthill.

Hi, Jim. You won't be hard to find in that little firetruck...

I avoid the ants by staying in the chickees at the west end of the property.... I have avoided the 'berm' and its debilitating wind (every year there have been perfectly clear nights when those on the berm are completely shut down by wind while those of us in Chickee land are observing happily....) - the chickee end is well sheltered...

As for that line-up - don't believe the "you can't line up until 6am" business. The first dozen or so cars in the line get there at sunset the night before - I've talked to these guys and they tell me that the police don't mind as long as your car is well off the road. The WSP folks won't tell you this, though....

Looking forward to seeing 'the usual suspects' in a few short weeks....

Dave

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#6283451 - 12/31/13 01:08 PM

Quote:

As for that line-up - don't believe the "you can't line up until 6am" business. The first dozen or so cars in the line get there at sunset the night before - I've talked to these guys and they tell me that the police don't mind as long as your car is well off the road. The WSP folks won't tell you this, though....

Due to legal issues the WSP folks CANNOT tell you to park on the road ahead of time. If the cops let you then that is one thing but WSP has to follow the rules that have been established for the event by Monroe County.

Cotts
Just Wondering

#6283505 - 12/31/13 01:32 PM

Hey, Sergio! I know the SCAS folks have to report the 'party line' on their website. The first three times I went for the lineup I was always amazed that no matter how early I showed up (5am, 4am....) there were always 10-20 cars in line and the Police Car on duty, ignoring them. So i asked the fellows in those first few cars and that's when I found out that the 'rule' is not enforced.....

But I totally understand why the WSP website says what it says....

I don't bother getting there early now since my place in a chickee is guaranteed. I spend the 'night before' in Homestead and drive in after a nice breakfast....

See you in 8 weeks!

Dave

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

#6287220 - 01/02/14 10:28 AM

Sssshhhh. Don't let everyone in on the secret or they really will make us wait till 6 AM to line up.

Dave do folks camp near the Chickees and how low is the southern horizon there over the trees? Can you see Omega Centauri over them? I now have a good pair of binos so I can walk over and check out the really low stuff on the berm.

Cotts
Just Wondering

#6287529 - 01/02/14 12:40 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

Jim, there are plenty of people in tents in Chickee-land. Have the WSP folks determined your trailer to be an"R-VEE"? If they do, they'll be telling you exactly where you can park it.....

As for Omega, where I have been setting up the past few years I have to view it between the palm fronds...

I've put together a map which shows what I remember about where things go. It seems small RV's like your trailer, campers on pickup trucks can go in some parts of the area labelled 'tents' but you'd best ask the WSP folks for definitive rulings.....

The Chickee area has had small RV's, Chickee residents and tenters all mixed together in the past. Those trees along the shore are the windbreak...

Hope this helps.

Dave

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

#6287658 - 01/02/14 01:41 PM

Thanks Dave, I paid for an RV ticket but my trailer is smaller than some tents.

I'll send a post out to the organizers to confirm where I can set up.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#6288440 - 01/02/14 08:38 PM

If the weather keeps on going like it has been this winter, get ready for a scorcher!!! Today was a balmy 85F!!! Tee shirt, sandals and shorts kind of weather. We haven't had a "winter" down here in 3 years.

Cotts
Just Wondering

#6288456 - 01/02/14 08:46 PM

It's been -19C here in Toronto since last night. (-2.2F) I'm quite ok with the concept of 'scorcher'.....

Dave

bierbelly
Postmaster

#6289827 - 01/03/14 02:45 PM

Quote:

If the weather keeps on going like it has been this winter, get ready for a scorcher!!! Today was a balmy 85F!!! Tee shirt, sandals and shorts kind of weather. We haven't had a "winter" down here in 3 years.

Oh yeah? How about today? I saw it's 67 degrees in KW...brrrrrrr!

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#6290328 - 01/03/14 07:24 PM

We had a mild cold front go through. Sun.Mon we will be back in the 80s the we will have a cold blast on Monday night bringing temps down to 49F!!! Bring out the parkas!!! LOL.

stevenwav
sage

#6290385 - 01/03/14 08:02 PM

OK! I reserved my spot. I am bringing my TMB 100mm f/8. I have decided not to drive and to ship all my equipment to FL. That way, I can be at WSP for the entire duration, not missing any nights because I have to drive two or three days to get there or get home.
Even though I have larger scopes, and aperture certainly rules at WSP, I am only shipping my smallest scope for a number of reasons. First of all, I only need a small mount. Shipping or lugging my Losmandy tripod, ap900gto mount and counterweights would require me driving. Shipping a large refractor or my Dall Kirkham is a scary thought, although possible. No, I am going to purchase a grab and go tripod AND compare and purchase a DM4 or DM6 from Tom of Discmounts while I am there. That saves me shipping the mount one way anyway.
The other reason I am bringing what may end up being the smallest scope on the field is that there is no reason to to lug anything bigger. There will be 20/25/30" dobs, 14" SCT's, DK 's and large refractors there already - owned by terrific folks eager to share the views. That's what the Star Party is all about anyway- making new friends. I look forward to meeting as many as possible. I attended last year and met many wonderful folks. I hope they enjoy the fantastic wide field views I can provide to them as well.
I can't wait to see for myself what a small scope can do under dark and stable skies. So, star fields are high on my object list as well double star splitting. I also must see Omega Centauri - will a 4" scope do it justice?

Here is a question - I will be tenting in a small tent. The fire ant notes give me pause, any location suggestions to avoid them? Anyone want a tenting neighbor who has a terrific finder scope for their large dob?

stevenwav
sage

#6290417 - 01/03/14 08:23 PM

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention that I am also bringing my best eye-candy... Mark V binoviewers and ZAO pairs! I fully intend to max out on planetary detail through some of those big guns! Also, my Nikon HW and Leica ASPH Zoom as view-mooching bait.

Edited by stevenwav (01/03/14 08:29 PM)

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#6290636 - 01/03/14 10:29 PM

Hi steve, the fire ants aren't too bad, I have never had a probem with them. Just buy a bag or two of this ( Link ), sprinkle it around your campsite before setting up your tent and you should be OK. Also, you are more than welcome to view through my scope if you'd like. I plan to be there on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights. If the nights are really good then I might also stay on Thursday night.

stevenwav
sage

#6290811 - 01/03/14 11:51 PM

Sergio thanks! I will definitely look you up at WSP, I appreciate it. Thanks for the link as well. Just curious - as one who lives in the area, I am wondering if you have any special objectives you like to accomplish at WSP. Is the seeing very much better in the keys than on the mainland? I saw absolutely astonishing views of Jupiter last year from all sized scopes. I was especially floored by a transit of a Jovian moon across the face of Jupiter that I saw through an AP 178. Even in that sized scope, it was like a Voyager view. The most unbelievable view I ever had was through a 24" dob that same night last year. Does that level of transparency and stability happen in other parts of FL?

Edited by stevenwav (01/03/14 11:51 PM)

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#6291062 - 01/04/14 04:07 AM

Steve, I ususally observe at Anne's Beach which is between mile markers 73 & 74. In comparison, the WSP is at about mile marker 35. It is about a 70 mile drive from my home in southern Mimai-Dade county but the skies there are a whole lot darker than in Miami. Actually, I would venture to say that the skies there are darker than at WSP because the light domes are not so prominent but if there is heavy traffic, the headlights can get annoying. It might be worth checking it out the night before if you have some time. The seeing is pretty steady al over the South Florida area even out in the west coast. Lunar and planetary viewing do not need a dark sky so during outreach events or just hanging out with friends it is fun to crank up the power on the moon and planets if the seeing is good. We once had Mars at about 800X in my friend's 14.5" Starstructure with a pair of Mark V binos and the detail was just amazing. Saturn usually puts on a nice show at WSP. I really don't have any particular targets to view at WSP since I go doen to the Keys to observe all the time but I really enjoy observing with old and new friends and checking out other scopes. A great time for sure.

Mark Radice

Reged: 01/03/14

Loc: Salisbury, UK
      #6291101 - 01/04/14 04:54 AM

I am looking forward to leaving wet and windy England and doing some warm-weather observing. I really can't wait as the rain is lashing down as I type this. I'll be bringing my new-to-me Skywatcher ST102 in my hand luggage while the alt-az mount and camping gear is in the aircraft hold.

Only a few weeks to go now!

Best regards,

Mark

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

#6292471 - 01/04/14 06:22 PM

Quote:

I ususally observe at Anne's Beach which is between mile markers 73 & 74.

Thanks for that tip Sergio. If it's clear I'll stop there on Saturday night. Do they usually allow folks to observe there all night?

On a more important note, are there any good cuban food carry outs along either I 95 or the turnpike for my dinner on Saturday?

Looking forward to seeing you. Looks like we have a good contingent from Cloudy Nights that are going to be there.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#6292979 - 01/04/14 11:29 PM

Jim, I forgot to mention, the mosquitoes can be pretty intense there so if you decide to observe there, make sure that there is a good breeze. The police don't give any problems to people observing at Anne's Beach (they actually take a peek every now and then) but there is no camping or sleeping allowed there. As far as Cuban food, I highly recommend checking out Casa Larios which is off of the 826 on Flagler Street. The best way to get there is to go down I-95 and head east on the 836, then south on the 826 and exit at Flagler. It is in the large shopping center on the right hand side. The vaca frita is really good as is everything else. You can then hop back on the 836 westbound and catch the Turnpike south.

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

#6293876 - 01/05/14 01:01 PM

Cool, that sounds easy enough and if I'm making good time I'll definitely stop. My mouth us already watering!

I know all about mosquitoes living here in Michigan, the DEET spray is permanently packed in my teardrop. I just wanted a good place to stop and observe with the binos before I get in that silly line. I tried to find somewhere around Big Pine Key last time with no luck. Not a lot of vacant land in the Keys. I tried to find Alice Beach on the map(s) and couldn't pinpoint it.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#6294331 - 01/05/14 04:34 PM

Jim it's Anne's Beach no Alice. Easy to find, type Anne's Beach in Google. When the results come up select "maps" and it takes you to it.

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

#6294778 - 01/05/14 08:44 PM

Quote:

Jim it's Anne's Beach no Alice. Easy to find, type Anne's Beach in Google. When the results come up select "maps" and it takes you to it.

That's what I get for trying to read forums in a hurry while eating lunch.

Been busy at my store, snow storm and all.

Not that you'd know anything about that.

steveastrouk

Reged: 08/01/13

Loc: Rochdale, UK
Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: Mark Radice]
      #6299373 - 01/08/14 05:53 AM

Hey Mark, Another Brit! I'm coming across from Manchester, with my family and camping on site too. Theres usually a few British residents ,and a couple of expats too. Whole lot if fun, and the weather is fantastic.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: steveastrouk]
      #6301422 - 01/09/14 07:11 AM

Mark and Steve. Be sure to put up a Union Jack on your site so we can all drop by and say hello!!

Dave

steveastrouk

#6301438 - 01/09/14 07:28 AM

Will do !

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

#6301470 - 01/09/14 07:58 AM

Hi Steve,

Long ago when I was in college my two roommates and I were camping in the keys at Long Key State Park. Camping next to us were three fellows from England who were over touring the states. On our last day before heading for home we all went to Sloppy Joe's in Key West. I only remember one of their names, a guy named Ian, whom his friends called Wee Ian. He was a little guy and as we were served our first beer of the day he complained that the american beer tasted like water. We used Sloppy Joe's as a base and we'd go off for a while and shop or look for girls and Wee Ian just sat quietly in the bar downing one beer after another. He must have drank 18 beers over the course of the afternoon and appeared to be just fine sipping his beer. A bit later we had to get going and we left him and his friends in the bar. In all my years I never saw anyone that small drink so much with little or no effect. Myself, I'm a light weight and I always joke to my wife that she can have her way with me after one or two.

Anyway, safe travels to Florida and here's to clear skies and warm nights for the star party.

Cheers, Jim M.

steveastrouk

#6309601 - 01/13/14 06:34 AM

Jim,
I should say in defence of my fellow countrymen that the guy you met was probably either Scottish or a medical student ;-)

Good grief, what if he was BOTH

Steve

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

#6310616 - 01/13/14 04:31 PM

Quote:

Jim,
I should say in defence of my fellow countrymen that the guy you met was probably either Scottish or a medical student ;-)

Good grief, what if he was BOTH

Steve

Then you couldn't understand what he was saying OR decipher what he was prescribing.

Mark Radice

#6312813 - 01/14/14 05:18 PM

I'll bring a teapot too!

steveastrouk

#6318624 - 01/17/14 01:12 PM

Tea is always acceptable. The lady that runs the cafe is very fond of English blends.

steveastrouk

#6323563 - 01/20/14 06:56 AM

Is anyone on here planning on doing any stellar spectroscopy at the WSP ? Last year I met a guy packing his kit away on the final morning, and I would have dearly loved to see the stuff being used :-(

chuck p
sage

Reged: 07/18/06

Loc: Cape Coral, Florida
      #6344772 - 01/30/14 09:40 AM

Hello,
My son had to cancel so I have a extra ticket for the winter star party. If anyone is interested send me a private message.Thanks
Chuck

chuck p
sage

Reged: 07/18/06

Loc: Cape Coral, Florida
Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: chuck p]
      #6350670 - 02/02/14 06:52 AM

Winter star party ticket is sold.
Thanks Steve

DeanS
Post Laureate

#6356190 - 02/04/14 07:18 PM

Quote:

Is anyone on here planning on doing any stellar spectroscopy at the WSP ? Last year I met a guy packing his kit away on the final morning, and I would have dearly loved to see the stuff being used :-(

Was this guy over near the chickee's? If so I bet he will be there again. He goes to most of the major star parties.

steveastrouk

#6357661 - 02/05/14 12:52 PM

That's right, by the barbecue iirc.

DeanS
Post Laureate

#6358286 - 02/05/14 06:37 PM

Can't remember his name but I see him at all the major star parties I attend. He will likely be there again.

stevenwav
sage

#6362331 - 02/07/14 04:22 PM

Hi - Can any WSP vets recommend a decent tenting spot? I understand wind may be a factor and the competition is keen at either end of the berm, where are other good spot reccos or insights to be aware of? I would like to be amongst friendly CN'ers if possible. Thanks in advance -Steve

Cotts
Just Wondering

#6363881 - 02/08/14 11:48 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

The central part of the berm is 'scopes only' so either end gets pretty stuffed with tents. If you are keen on being on the berm you'll need to get into the lineup early or even the night before (not officially allowed but folks have been doing this for years).

The berm can be a windy place - windy enough to shut down observing for most people. The reward of the berm is the unobstructed view to the southern horizon with glimpses of Eta Carina, Alpha Centauri, etc. possible.

If you wish to avoid the worst wind you need to go to the west end of the property past the vendor area or in the chickee area. There you will contend with some trees. However, I have been happily observing in the chickee area while 95% of those on the berm are shut down by wind....

I've made a wee map.

Dave

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#6364765 - 02/08/14 07:47 PM

Excellent map Dave!!!

stevenwav
sage

#6365605 - 02/09/14 08:53 AM

Great- thanks very much Dave! I will have a 4" scope with me so I think I will find a protected spot in the West. If conditions are good, I could just carry the scope to the berm for Southern views.
Time to start planning in earnest now, I will be shipping my camping gear and some of the more robust equipment. I noticed on the WSP FB page that their is a reference to a UPS store on Marathon where I can ship to.
Looking forward to meeting you guys!

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#6367232 - 02/09/14 09:41 PM

Steve, there will be plenty of big dobs on the berm and the folks there don't mind sharing the views. Wait until you get to see Onerga Centauri through a big dob, MAGICAL!!!! Even better with binoviewers.

steveastrouk

#6367810 - 02/10/14 07:49 AM

Doesn't the "wheelhouse end" get occupied by SCAS pretty early ? Hedge your bets and head West, into chickee-dom....

You wouldn't believe a.) the queue or b.) How fast it moves in to the camp.

stevenwav
sage

#6368022 - 02/10/14 10:32 AM

Thanks guys - I will head West - to Chickeedom!

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/10

Loc: Chicagoland
      #6375594 - 02/14/14 08:50 AM

Tree Chicago People be dere: Darren Dwake, Dan Joy, und Ich with a 6" AP f12

Cotts
Just Wondering

Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: Napersky]
      #6375976 - 02/14/14 12:26 PM

Quote:

Tree Chicago People be dere: Darren Dwake, Dan Joy, und Ich with a 6" AP f12

Vere vill youse set up?

Dave

Cotts
Just Wondering

#6375998 - 02/14/14 12:35 PM

GROUP PHOTO!!!! All CN'ers at the WSP

Friday, 1pm at the firepit. This is immediately after the door prize draw according to this year's schedule so we should all be there!!!

Dave

Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/02

#6376139 - 02/14/14 01:44 PM

I'm all for that Dave. I just hope my CN tee shirt gets here in time

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: Darren Drake]
      #6377005 - 02/14/14 10:55 PM

You kids have fun.

stevenwav
sage

Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: Napersky]
      #6377120 - 02/15/14 01:02 AM

Hey Mark! Make sure you bring that CZJ 4mm you got from me. It should sing in that f/12 AP down there. you guys will be easy to spot once you set that bad boy up.

stevenwav
sage

#6377122 - 02/15/14 01:02 AM

Looking forward to it!

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/01/08

#6380778 - 02/17/14 09:58 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

Here is a pic from last years party

Mark Radice

Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: kfrederick]
      #6381446 - 02/17/14 05:22 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

Well I've started packing.

Cotts
Just Wondering

#6383770 - 02/18/14 10:54 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Of interest to all.....

DeanS
Post Laureate

#6383776 - 02/18/14 10:59 PM

Whats that in English?

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
      #6383808 - 02/18/14 11:16 PM

Quote:

Whats that in English?

It is english, in fact it's the scale the whole rest of the world uses. That is except scientist like astronomers, they use kelvin, so just add 273 to anything celsius and you've got it.

It means nice. ; )

Have fun whoever is going and I hope the wind gods behave.

Bill

stevenwav
sage

#6383851 - 02/18/14 11:43 PM

Woah! That's only a few degrees warmer than MA!
Seriously though - that looks fantastic! A couple of days ago it read cloudy for most of the week - thank goodness it has been revised. I am getting really stoked now and I hope the forecast comes true.

I am bringing my TMB 100 and a bunch of high quality ep's. Of course, I like to share so let me know where you guys are. I intend to purchase a DM-6 while I'm down there. Saves me shipping costs!

Edited by stevenwav (02/18/14 11:44 PM)

stevenwav
sage

#6389440 - 02/21/14 08:11 PM

At the airport - waiting to board. Super psyched - where is everyone else?

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#6389478 - 02/21/14 08:34 PM

Right now I'm at work but I am literally up the street from the star party. I'll be there on Sunday after the mad rush, probably at about 4pm. Gona stuff my face with stone crabs first though =)

Mark Radice

#6389938 - 02/22/14 07:00 AM

I'm at London heathrow waiting to depart to Miami. Thanks for the forecast, Cotts, it looks fantastic. See you tomorrow.

Mark

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#6391091 - 02/22/14 07:15 PM

Have a good flight Mark.

stevenwav
sage

#6393508 - 02/24/14 12:44 AM

Are you kidding me?
I am here at WSP and I spend a few hours with Tom Peters as he personally walks me through putting together my new DM-6. While I talk with him, Alan French stops by to say hi. Mathius Wirth comes over with his new 18" Cass and mentions that he is waiting for the mirror Mile Lockwood is bringing. Lockwood comes by and they seat the mirror. Howie Glatter shows up as well as Steve Keene. We all take a look through Tom Back's personal TMB 100/800 - aimed at Jupiter. We have Leica, Zeiss, TV and Vernonscope Brandon ep's. i am treated to spectacular views of Jupiter better than i have ever seen it at home. I conclude that i would be content with only a four inch refractor - if only. If only i lived in the Keys! What a dream line up of astro celebs, all star scopes and all star views. And its only the first night! Hope to catch up with CN buddies tomorrow. Cheers!

Edited by stevenwav (02/24/14 05:18 PM)

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #6393712 - 02/24/14 06:34 AM

Heck of a first night! Enjoy the rest of the week. Cloudy and cold here in Indiana. Say hi to the Southern Cross for me.

Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: rockethead26]
      #6394111 - 02/24/14 11:33 AM

The best view of Jupiter last night was had by john pratte
25 inch f 4. Most agreed it was the best view ever seen in their life

Edited by Darren Drake (02/24/14 11:35 AM)

Bigstar

Reged: 03/08/11

Loc: Naperville, IL
      #6394779 - 02/24/14 06:44 PM

Darren
Don't hurry back to IL. More cold and snow. Sounds like a great time.

Ron

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: Bigstar]
      #6398176 - 02/26/14 11:56 AM

Wow, four good nights in a row. Last night wasn't as good as Sunday and Monday and Saturday I observed with my binos at Anne's Beach until the line up to get in.

Tonight is supposed to be good until midnight with a front moving through. I'm probably leaving tomorrow as I have to leave on Friday anyway and might as well get a jump on it if it's finally going to be cloudy.

Great trip so far, I've seen a lot of CN folks. I've been observing next to the Raleigh astronomy club members and have had a lot of fun. Great group of guys.

The Florida Keys are one of my favorite places and having a star party there in February is great. I don't want to return for the remainder of Winter up north and wish I could just stay here.

Cotts
Just Wondering

#6402066 - 02/28/14 02:14 PM

Quote:

GROUP PHOTO!!!! All CN'ers at the WSP

Friday, 1pm at the firepit. This is immediately after the door prize draw according to this year's schedule so we should all be there!!!

Dave

The group photo was a success. I will post it here when I get decent bandwidth and we can all point fingers and tell tall tales...

Dave

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#6402494 - 02/28/14 07:42 PM

Too bad I missed it. I had to leave on Wednesday because I had to get back to work, bummer. Maybe you can photoshop me in there??? LOL.

Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

#6403254 - 03/01/14 07:25 AM

I also gotta nice pic and may post after I get back.

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

#6403421 - 03/01/14 09:46 AM

Sorry I missed it, too. I had to leave Friday morning regardless and due to the weather decided to leave Thursday to get a jump on the drive. No problems and I got home late last night.

Did you guys get in any observing on Thursday or Friday? I had a great time and looking forward to the time I don't have to hurry back to my business(if that ever happens).

stevenwav
sage

#6404106 - 03/01/14 04:14 PM

Thursday was cloudy with passi g showers but Friday night cleared and turned out to be really spectacular. The South was clear to very close to the horizon. The Southern Cross was fully visible with blazing stars. The Jewel Box looked great but Omega Centauri was "da bomb"!!! Unbelievable. We did an A-B comparo between it and M13 - M13 is about 1/4 the size. Looked the best through my Nikon HW 17mm in a 12.5 dob and in a 25". Eta Carina gets honorable mention. The planets were not good however we spent a ton of time on Mars with various filters. We could see clouds as well as the polar caps. Best filter was the Baader lunar/planetary. Also saw countless galaxies through the 32" dob. Finally, Alpha and Beta Centauri were blazing so brightly, they left reflections on the ocean - like the moon on a lake. As we say in New England - wicked cool!

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

#6404439 - 03/01/14 07:24 PM

I'm glad you guys had a great night. I would have left after the door prize drawing anyway so I made the right choice to bug out when I did. A few raindrops were falling as I left at 9 am.

Anyone win any good door prizes? I don't want to know if they called #545 but if they did whoever got the ka ching your're welcome.

Today was a balmy 32F here so I put a pork butt in the smoker while I unloaded the car.

Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

#6405947 - 03/02/14 04:23 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

I'm the one in the CN t shirt. I also won a door prize a paralizer from Howie who I'm standing next to and a ticket with camping to next years wsp. The grand prize was an Explore 127 Apo ota.

Edited by Darren Drake (03/02/14 04:27 PM)

Cotts
Just Wondering

#6406520 - 03/02/14 08:58 PM

I'm in red at the back. I won a tshirt, a hat and a free day pass to NEAF....
My first Wsp prize in 8 years......

Dave

steveastrouk

#6407206 - 03/03/14 10:01 AM

Me on the left of the flamingo.

You home now Dave ? We fly out tomorrow.

stevenwav
sage

#6407504 - 03/03/14 12:56 PM

I am the bald guy kneeling in the front. Had a terrific time and enjoyed meeting some CNers! I bought a DM-6 mount with encoders. Tom Peters of Discmounts was incredibly helpful and just a great guy. Many incredible views including my first look at Omega Centauri. The Southern Cross was amazing on Thursday night and had some memorable views of Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. Also, using the 32" to see myriads of galaxies was truly awesome. Looking forward to next year hopefully!

Cotts
Just Wondering

#6408433 - 03/03/14 10:15 PM

Home Monday night 10pm. Two 12-hour days. Quite a bit of snow in West Virginia - two hours of 50kph (30mph...) otherwise 120kph (75mph all the way...

Great to meet the CN crowd - next year let's have a potluck dinner together....

Dave

Howie Glatter
Vendor

Reged: 07/04/06

#6410234 - 03/04/14 08:27 PM

"Me on the left of the flamingo."

That flamingo is holding Gary Hand.

While I have my mouth open, let me observe that the seeing at WSP this year, particularly on opening night, allowed visual observations of Jupiter that approached the detail that planetary imagers are getting lately.

Vic Menard
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/21/04

Loc: Bradenton, FL
Re: Winter Star Party 2014 new [Re: Howie Glatter]
      #6410339 - 03/04/14 09:25 PM

Of the three guys wearing sunglasses, I'm the one in the middle...

(That's John Pratte of JP Astrocraft in front of me.)

Interesting, Howie's post was his 765th (descending), and mine was my 4567th (ascending)...

Edited by Vic Menard (03/04/14 09:34 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4895

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics