Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: guyroch]
      #4886191 - 10/28/11 10:36 PM

Question and maybe an idea.....I am using V2. right now, and think this is the greatest. I can slew to a target with The Sky X, switch to BYEOS,focus with a long cable to my Moonlight focuser and then image, all from my warm room!!

I use the In Camera Noise Reduction and obviously have to wait twice as long for the image. BYEOS has a handy timer, but it doesn't take into account the ICNR (or maybe it does and I haven't got it set correctly). If there is no communication with the camera to enable the counter to reflect how long is remaining until the ICNR is complete, I propose a solution.

If a checkbox were added allowing the Astrophotographer to check ICNR. Enabling the check will cause the counter to count up to it's selected exposure time ie 300 seconds, like it does now, at which time it will count down to 0 and your finished image.

Thank you for a great product!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: PGW Steve]
      #4886344 - 10/29/11 01:05 AM

Thank you Steve... and in a few days (week at most) you'll be able to control your moonlite focuser rigth from BackyardEOS. I'm just about to release the ASCOM plugin in a few days

As for the countdown, the SDK does not expose it... I would have to do it manually; similar to what you have suggested. I'll get it one of these days, it's on my list to do.

Thank you for your support and interest.... and yes Version 2 is quite a gem.

Guylain

Edited by guyroch (10/29/11 07:36 PM)

tma61

Reged: 12/27/11

Loc: Canada
Question about using BYEOS new [Re: guyroch]
      #5197294 - 04/29/12 09:13 PM

Okay i download byeos into my laptop. I set up my OTA and mount. I power up my mount and laptop.I connect my Canon 550d to the laptop.I then connect my hand controller of my HEQ 5 mount to my laptaop as well.My question is do i need a connection to the internet? or am i just running off the software?

Edited by tma61 (04/29/12 09:57 PM)

piaras
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/26/09

Loc: Niagara Region
Re: Question about using BYEOS new [Re: tma61]
      #5197367 - 04/29/12 10:24 PM

The simple answer is NO.

tma61

Re: Question about using BYEOS new [Re: piaras]
      #5197384 - 04/29/12 10:32 PM

Thank you Piaras.You have some nice images on your site by the way.I got some images of the Lanc when it was here in Winnipeg.

Dave

tma61

#5205484 - 05/04/12 12:05 PM

I used the trial edition last night and everything worked fine.I just have to get my focusing issues sorted out.As far as i can tell i will purchase the program.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by tma61 (05/04/12 02:09 PM)

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#5206292 - 05/04/12 08:25 PM

Glad you liked it

Guylain

tma61

Re: Question about using BYEOS new [Re: guyroch]
      #5293473 - 06/28/12 03:32 PM

Hello i have a question for Guy. I know you have exlained this but...I have Canon 550d.I have only the one cable hooked in from small trapazoid on my camera, to usb port on my laptop.Can i use the focus feature of Byeos with just this one link? (i've quoted from earlier post below)

Quote...There is no need to disable or enable the in-camera mirror lock between Frame & Focus and the imaging mode. BYE will automatically use the appropriate cable to accomplish the task for you… but you do need a serial cable in imaging mode if you have mirror lock enabled....Unquote

I have to ask because i'm still a little unsure...

Dave

saemark30
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/21/12

#5293573 - 06/28/12 04:50 PM

What does this program do for the owner of a 350d?

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#5293797 - 06/28/12 07:14 PM

Quote:

Hello i have a question for Guy. I know you have exlained this but...I have Canon 550d.I have only the one cable hooked in from small trapazoid on my camera, to usb port on my laptop.Can i use the focus feature of Byeos with just this one link? (i've quoted from earlier post below)

Quote...There is no need to disable or enable the in-camera mirror lock between Frame & Focus and the imaging mode. BYE will automatically use the appropriate cable to accomplish the task for you… but you do need a serial cable in imaging mode if you have mirror lock enabled....Unquote

I have to ask because i'm still a little unsure...

Dave

Dave,

Yes, just the camera supplied usb cable is required with the 550D. The frame and focus function will work like a charm.. and the image capture mode too

The quote above is re: the in-camera lock. Frame and Focus is not affected by that so your are clear to go with just that on cable.

In the next version 2.1 in-camera lock will work as well with only the usb cable for all DIGIC 4 camera.

Hope this helps.

Guylain

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: Question about using BYEOS new [Re: saemark30]
      #5293805 - 06/28/12 07:18 PM

Quote:

What does this program do for the owner of a 350d?

You'll be able to take pictures of aliens

Seriously though, the 350D has limitations like no live view so planetary and drift alignment features are not enable for this model.

Frame and focus will work just the same by taking pictures instead of live view.

You will need a serial cable for bulb.

Other than that... it's the same as with any other camera.

Guylain

tma61

#5293882 - 06/28/12 08:32 PM

Thank you Guylain, i captured data for 30 images last nite and was unsure at the time about frame and focus so i kind of winged it.
I will metion BYEOS in my postings.

TC

Dave

tma61

#5690331 - 02/20/13 08:07 AM

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me with an issue.I know i have everything set right with my byeos and my 550d. When i plug my usb cable to my cam and laptop and try and start up byeos i do not get a connection. the lcd of my cam says "busy". I am suspecting its my mini 5 trapizoid connection on my camera body. Any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks

Dave

PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
      #5691170 - 02/20/13 03:39 PM

Dave,

Do you have any of the Canon utilities on the computer, do those connect? Even without starting BYEOS, can you connect to the computer and get a window that pops up asking if you want to download the photos? Maybe we can get together and try some different cables/computer/camera combos to see exactly which component is causing the problem.

Steve

tma61

Re: Question about using BYEOS new [Re: PGW Steve]
      #5691572 - 02/20/13 07:21 PM

Hi Steve
if you are whom i think you are i have sent you an email.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#5692436 - 02/21/13 09:52 AM

Quote:

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me with an issue.I know i have everything set right with my byeos and my 550d. When i plug my usb cable to my cam and laptop and try and start up byeos i do not get a connection. the lcd of my cam says "busy". I am suspecting its my mini 5 trapizoid connection on my camera body. Any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks

Dave

Dave,

How-long is your USB cable? All connection issues I've seen so far have all been related to cable issues.

Guylain

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5695656 - 02/22/13 09:16 PM

Using 2.0.9 rev 23794

Feature request. Make the presentation window movable so I can move it to my second monitor.

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: Question about using BYEOS new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5738537 - 03/17/13 12:41 PM

Hello Guylain, my question is not about using BYEOS, I have that excellent piece of software and find it a wonderful tool for Canon AP.

My question is, where are you at this point with BackyardNik? Are you currently working on a viable solution to AP with Nikon equipment, and if so, when can we Nikon users expect to see it?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: Question about using BYEOS new [Re: Astronewb]
      #5738581 - 03/17/13 01:10 PM

Paul,

Yes BackyardNIK is in the works. I aiming to have a beta release towards the end of 2013. I don't have anything to show for at this time.

My inital testing will be with a D90, D5100, and D7000. But I anticipate to support all NIKON DLSR (except the D3### series) right out of the gate.

Thank for your support and interest,

Guylain

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
      #5738724 - 03/17/13 02:20 PM

Thanks so much for the info...I will waiting with great interest, and if it's anything like your Byeos..I will be a first time buyer, no question.

Thanks for the Nikon work..

Paul

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17600

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics