Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Lockwood Custom Optics new [Re: AllanDystrup]
      #5529447 - 11/20/12 06:35 AM

Ohh, so you, too, have got a rich uncle in America! Those tend to be awfully quiet and you never hear from them...

I prefer a classic dob, which will offer better balance with my binoviewer setup. I already have the 12" and it sure doesn't take long to set up, though it is much heavier than my Telemator and takes a bit of grunt work to move. Funny enough, I often observe with the two side by side. It's fun to compare the views and I've got something to do while waiting for the dob's secondary mirror to heat up inside, when it has dewed up for the nth time. Yeah, I need a heater for it, I know.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jarad
Postmaster

Reged: 04/28/03

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Lockwood Custom Optics new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #5529568 - 11/20/12 08:16 AM

I like that 30" prime focus design. I've wondered why that hasn't become more popular - with CCD cameras around 4"-5" in diameter, it seems like an obvious way to get a nice wide field camera with 100% field illumination while keeping CO down well under 20% in scopes of 20" or larger, not to mention simpler collimation and fewer reflective surfaces.

Jarad

Mike Lockwood
Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

Reged: 10/01/07

Loc: Usually in my optical shop
Re: Lockwood Custom Optics new [Re: Jarad]
      #5530816 - 11/20/12 06:52 PM

Quote:

I like that 30" prime focus design. I've wondered why that hasn't become more popular - with CCD cameras around 4"-5" in diameter, it seems like an obvious way to get a nice wide field camera with 100% field illumination while keeping CO down well under 20% in scopes of 20" or larger, not to mention simpler collimation and fewer reflective surfaces.
Jarad

Well, most imaging scopes aren't big enough to justify it, but maybe people haven't thought about the advantages.

Also, they may also want to look through their scopes, and you can't do that with this one unless you stick your head in the tube. (I did this on Bob's 32" f/4 for first light.)

I agree that it's a good idea, and it does make the setup and structure of the telescope simpler. The extra 5-10% of light is a benefit, especially when faint space rocks are the target.

Oh, and on another topic, a 1.25"-thick, 20" mirror will outperform a 2"-thick, 15" mirror, purely for reasons of equilibration, because the 20" will cool several times faster and the 20" actually weighs slightly less.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Lockwood Custom Optics new [Re: Jarad]
      #5537939 - 11/24/12 10:11 PM

Quote:

Jarad

I have a friend who has made two astrographs using that design: a 10-inch and a much nicer 12.5 inch (all metal made using anodized aluminum slats for the truss tube). He mounts the scopes on a Losmandy Titan for imaging with Starlight Xpress cameras. Ive also seen nice results from a fellow using this design with an Obsession 25. He just made a second imaging UTA that holds the focuser, camera, comma corrector and an Optec field derotator in place of the secondary. He uses SBIG cameras and they feed guiding corrections right into his StellarCat drive (which also controls the field derotator). His biggest problem: collimation.

Mike Lockwood

18" f/3.7 mirror available in a Starmaster FX new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #5576461 - 12/17/12 09:30 PM

Just in time for Christmas....

Once in a while I have an extra piece of glass and the opportunity to fit it
into my schedule.

This time it's an 18" f/3.7 for a Starmaster FX telescope. The mirror will be
finished in a few weeks and the scope is mostly done, so it should be ready for
delivery around the end of January to mid-February of 2013. This particular
mirror is only for sale in a Starmaster telescope, and the wait time for this scope is much less than it normally is.

The listing is here:
http://www.starmastertelescopes.com/in-stock.htm

If you're interested, don't wait to give Rick a call. These usually sell
quickly, and it is being announced first on the Starmaster group and here.

Mike Lockwood

10" f/5.8 available immediately new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #5603140 - 01/03/13 02:38 PM

I had some time on one of my small machines, so I pulled a blank out of my glass pile and now have one finished 10" f/5.8 mirror ready for coating.

This is a 1.7"-thick mirror, from Pyrex. The figure more than meets my standards for correction, polish, and figure of revolution. It has scribed center spots to aid with precise centering of a ring, triangle, etc.

Price is $1,200 including enhanced aluminum coating and shipping within the US.

Please send me an email (mirrors at loptics dot com) if you are interested or have questions.

Mike Lockwood

Re: 18" f/3.7 mirror available in a Starmaster FX new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #5619826 - 01/12/13 09:24 PM

The 18" f/3.7 Starmaster telescope is now sale pending, but the 10" f/5.8 mirror is still available immediately.

Mike Lockwood

New article new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #5959225 - 07/07/13 04:33 PM

Some time ago I posted an article on my web page about my recent trip to the New Mexico Astronomy Village, but I forgot to post it here.

So, here's the link: NMAV Article

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: New article new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #5959327 - 07/07/13 05:40 PM

Great story and photos, Mike. Looks like you had a great time. Tom Clark is certainly in an enviable situation.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: New article new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5959740 - 07/07/13 10:26 PM

That's good stuff, Mike! Talk about dark sky envy...

David

Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
Re: New article new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5960104 - 07/08/13 07:33 AM

Simply incredible and a most awesome read. Great pictures too!

Mike Lockwood

Re: New article new [Re: Chucky]
      #5966103 - 07/11/13 05:36 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.

Here's one more link I forgot to post - my projects page that shows some of the highlights of the projects I've worked on: LCO Projects Page

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: New article new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #5968229 - 07/12/13 10:36 PM

That's good stuff, Mike!!

David

Mike Lockwood

Another new article new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #6061590 - 09/03/13 08:19 PM

I've posted an article about a trip that I took to the Three Rivers Foundation Astronomy Campus in northwest Texas. You can read it here: Three Rivers Foundation Astronomy Campus

Hope you enjoy it, it's is great facility.

Mike Lockwood

Another new article new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #6301094 - 01/08/14 11:18 PM

I've posted an article, written by a friend, about the Rocky Mountain Star Stare. You can read it here: 20" f/3 at RMSS

nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
Re: Another new article new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #6302276 - 01/09/14 03:06 PM

That is my dream scope right there. 20 inches and seated - Lord Rosse would wet himself.

Mike Lockwood

22" f/3.3 Super-FX Starmaster available new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #6318643 - 01/17/14 01:20 PM

Every now and then I have an opening on a machine, so I fill it with a blank that I have in stock. I have an extra 22" f/3.3 mirror coming into figuring now, and it will go in a 22" f/3.3 Starmaster Super FX telescope. This telescope should be available in ~90 days, which is significantly shorter than the normal lead time.

Contact Rick Singmaster at (620) 638-4743 if you're interested in the telescope. I don't recommend waiting, these usually sell fairly quickly.

The 22" f/3.3 is, for most, a one-step telescope - that is, you only need about one step to observe at zenith, and an observing chair for much of the rest of the sky! Some more information is available here:
http://www.starmastertelescopes.com/superFXscopes.htm
--
Mike Lockwood
Lockwood Custom Optics

Mike Lockwood

Re: Another new article new [Re: nirvanix]
      #6360862 - 02/06/14 10:36 PM

Quote:

That is my dream scope right there. 20 inches and seated - Lord Rosse would wet himself.

Yes, I enjoy it very much, and John Pratte of JPAstrofast.com has built a 20" f/3 for a client, too. (Never considered the possibility of an incontinent Lord Rosse.)

By the way, the 22" f/3.3 was sold about a week ago.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/05

Re: Another new article new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #6361046 - 02/07/14 12:23 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

It sort of Depends??? They work better than an OIII filter from Lord Rosse's hand with my 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft. Here is a picture of the scope in development, with Johh, Bob (owner), Bob, and Mike Lockwood in John Pratte's shop in Illinois. It IS my dream scope as well. Works like a charm and you can sit all you want to see whatever you want.

Edited by Bob S. (02/07/14 12:58 AM)

Mike Lockwood

Two 8" mirrors available new [Re: Bob S.]
      #6374362 - 02/13/14 03:48 PM

I have two 8" mirrors available immediately.

Mirror #1 is f/5.8, focal length = 46.5". It is a molded blank, ~1.3" thick Pyrex, with a good anneal. The back has not been ground, but is fairly flat and smooth out of the mold, as is the edge.

Mirror #2 is f/5.9, focal length at 47". It is also 1.3" thick, with good anneal. The back is fairly smooth and flat, but there is a raised rim around the edge about 1/8" inch high and 1/4" wide. (In most cells this will not interfere with anything.) The edge of the mirror tapers - the mirror is slightly wider at the front than the back. With proper edge support, this is not an issue.

I have good 1.5" m.a. flats for both of them. I am selling a primary and a secondary as a set, each set for $1,000 including OMI coating and shipping.

Both have precisely centered center spots that are scribed into the glass itself and are permanent. This makes adding an adhesive spot or centering a laser beam on the mirror quite simple.

Email me at the address on my company info page if you are interested. I check Yahoo email and CN PMs occasionally too, but prefer email.

These are first come, first serve, and I don't plan to make any more of this size for a while. They are boxed and ready to ship.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10943

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics