Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
ukcanuck
Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: London, UK
Re: Project: Skylight F15m (mini): launching at NEAF! new [Re: ukcanuck]
      #4327783 - 01/20/11 03:54 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

Hi Max, welcome...I value your opinion here. I noted you mentioned the Telementor. There's a particular design feature on that particular scope that I've always liked which I'm spending some time on.

I also like the idea of a solid brass ota...I've always had the idea in mind of an all-brass F15, but it would weigh a ton, and with the cost of the brass tubing, would cost a fortune before I even drilled the first hole!

Ok...thanks to everyone for throwing their thoughts into the ring, it has certainly given me alot to think about!

Here's my plan at this point.

Once I start actual work on this, I figure I have 3-4 weeks to build a prototype, and then another 4-5 weeks to build the first batch. To put this in perspective, it took two years to take the 100mm F15 from the idea state to finished product!

My thinking for the F15m is to have a base model, which will have the same powder coated black tube as my 100mm, long brass dew shield, a brass finder, and a focuser of some kind . It's important that I keep this core model to an affordable level, but I recognize that it will not please everybody . To help please everyone (or as many as I can). I'm also considering offering a couple of available upgrade options. While the standard model F15m will be a beautiful (and hopefully affordable) instrument, these upgrade options would inevitably raise the price, but it could then be up to the individual whether it was worth the extra cost.

One of these options could likely be a premium finder: I recently finished the first example of a new finder for the 100mm F15 which could possibly be offered on the F15m. It's a modern 8x40mm optic, contained within a suitable casing.

Picture here:

Edited by ukcanuck (01/23/11 07:07 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ukcanuck

#4327799 - 01/20/11 04:02 PM Attachment (48 downloads)

So...I will have 10 weeks to design, build a prototype, and build the first run of a telescope that only exists in my head at this point, and yet for which (upon request) I have already started a notification list!

Here's the new finder installed on the first 100mm/F15:

Edited by ukcanuck (01/23/11 07:09 AM)

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Reged: 05/20/07

Loc: Lancashire England
      #4328074 - 01/20/11 06:01 PM

Richard,

With you being a perfectionist I'm sure the new OTA will be of heirloom quality. The price point will be very interesting.

Wes James
Postmaster

Reged: 04/12/06

Re: Project: Skylight F15m (mini): launching at NEAF! new [Re: GlenM]
      #4328477 - 01/20/11 08:35 PM

Your reference to the Telementor is interesting- I recently acquired one, a Ty.1- and am in love with the simplicity of it- yet built-like-a-tank build quality. I love the helical focuser in it. Some Zeiss influence certainly couldn't be a bad thing for our new premium 60mm refractor! (Yes, I'm already planning ahead!! You DO have me down for one, right?? *s*)
Wes

Wes James
Postmaster

Re: Project: Skylight F15m (mini): launching at NEAF! new [Re: Wes James]
      #4328579 - 01/20/11 09:30 PM

Thinking about this.... a comment- and a question.
Comment: To avoid the issue of baffling- and keep it easy to build- what about a felt liner inside- like Protostar flocking?? This would give the desired reflection rejection characteristics, not require baffling- and keep it simple.
Question: I haven't heard the optics discussed?? Outsourcing them? Any thoughts in that direction? Have you firmed up a focal length at f/15 yet?
Wes

Max Lattanzi
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/27/07

#4329117 - 01/21/11 06:01 AM

Quote:

I noted you mentioned the Telementor. There's a particular design feature on that particular scope that I've always liked which I'm spending some time on.

Hi Richard,

Which particular design feature, if I may?
Telementor-I or T-II...?!

Since I opened up *many*, maybe I could help...

-- Max

Max Lattanzi
professor emeritus

Re: Project: Skylight F15m (mini): launching at NEAF! new [Re: Preston Smith]
      #4329122 - 01/21/11 06:07 AM Attachment (35 downloads)

Quote:

Sometimes you just have to break away from tradition....

Hi Preston,

Mmmm, let's see... maybe something like a fully refurbished Brandon 94mm, hand-polished and fitted with Unitron hardware...?!
And maybe sitting on a weight-driven 160 mount...?! Something like 'the' "Classic US Apo"...?!

PS/ Richard, sorry for hijacking for a few secs the thread...

Preston Smith
The Travel Scope Guy

Reged: 04/24/05

Loc: Eureka, Pa
Re: Project: Skylight F15m (mini): launching at NEAF! new [Re: Max Lattanzi]
      #4330376 - 01/21/11 05:54 PM

Wonderful Max!

I'm sure Richard's new scope will also be a "head-turner!"

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Project: Skylight F15m (mini): launching at NEAF! new [Re: Max Lattanzi]
      #4330389 - 01/21/11 06:00 PM

Max, I don't hope you do solar observing with that... The reflections and glints could blind a man. There must be a big warning sign on it somewhere, advicing people within 10 meters to use special sunglasses.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Max Lattanzi
professor emeritus

Re: Project: Skylight F15m (mini): launching at NEAF! new [Re: Preston Smith]
      #4331323 - 01/22/11 05:07 AM

Quote:

Wonderful Max!

...hard work, Preston, hard work...

Quote:

I'm sure Richard's new scope will also be a "head-turner!"

We all hope this...

Max Lattanzi
professor emeritus

Re: Project: Skylight F15m (mini): launching at NEAF! new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #4331331 - 01/22/11 05:13 AM

Quote:

Max, I don't hope you do solar observing with that... The reflections and glints could blind a man. There must be a big warning sign on it somewhere, advicing people within 10 meters to use special sunglasses.

Actually it works *wonderfully* with a Coronado 90. This being said, a shiny alu telescope is definitely a nightly animal. Thermally speaking, during the day pure white works much better... but if you're pointing at the Sun (and add a diaphragm around the lens cell) the whole scope is in the shadow and releases any heat in a twinkling...

Cheers,

-- Max

Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Refractor Heaven
      #4334660 - 01/23/11 03:16 PM

Richard, my last comments on this project.
1) Make it a true mini version of the 100mm.
2) IMO your best choice is a 1.25" focuser, and none are better than the Crawmach, as Thomas and Eric have already confirmed.
3) Offer the finder in RA and ST, and I find a wide field 6x30 the perfect size for a 60mm scope. It's what I use on my 60mm's.
4) If you are able to price it right, look for me to own one. I don't know your optics source, but I find a 60/1000 lens the near ultimate, and have found none better than those from Carton. Whether you use them or not, I'd like to have the option on my own to replace it with the Carton optic.

croys
journeyman

Reged: 06/03/07

Re: Project: Skylight F15m (mini): launching at NEAF! new [Re: Doug76]
      #4348821 - 01/29/11 04:02 PM

Richard,

It took some considerable will power to avoid getting the 100mm f/15, mainly by convincing myself that I'd get one "later". And now you do this.
Put me on the list.

ukcanuck

Re: Project: Skylight F15m (mini): launching at NEAF! new [Re: croys]
      #4356109 - 02/01/11 04:39 PM Attachment (34 downloads)

Quote:

Richard,

It took some considerable will power to avoid getting the 100mm f/15, mainly by convincing myself that I'd get one "later". And now you do this.
Put me on the list.

No problem. Please contact me, or send me a pm with your e-mail and you'll be one of the first to see it when it's ready.

Right...still here.

I'm snowed under with work getting ready for Astrofest in London which is this weekend, and then actual hands on work of the F15m will begin. In the meantime, my head has been churning around all the points mentioned on this thread, and pieces of the puzzle are beginning to fall into place...which leaves me still optimistic that there will be 3 (three) Skylight refractors on display at NEAF this April.

I finished the 2nd one this afternoon:

ukcanuck

#4356115 - 02/01/11 04:43 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

The Skylight F13 will have its' public debut at London's Astrofest this weekend. I will post a separate thread later this week with details on a 2-day pre-order opportunity (a deeply discounted one) to coincide with Astrofest.

Seems a shame to hide that wonderful lens, really. So, if it must be covered up, covered it with something special:

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Reged: 05/20/07

Loc: Lancashire England
      #4358480 - 02/02/11 03:44 PM

Another beautiful scope Richard

Wes James
Postmaster

Re: Project: Skylight F15m (mini): launching at NEAF! new [Re: GlenM]
      #4358632 - 02/02/11 04:34 PM

Beautiful, Richard- have been anxiously awaiting further information- so your post was most welcome!! I am anxious to hear more about the 60mm.... and certainly anxious to own one!!

Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Refractor Heaven
Re: Project: Skylight F15m (mini): launching at NEAF! new [Re: Wes James]
      #4362461 - 02/04/11 09:11 AM

That cell front(with aperture/focal length labeled) and lens looks just like my Carton 100mm/1300mm. If it is that lens, you have a real winner on your hands.

ukcanuck

Re: Project: Skylight F15m (mini): launching at NEAF! new [Re: Doug76]
      #4401877 - 02/21/11 03:51 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

Ok...

Astrofest in London is over. The F13's are sold out (for now), a week and a half spent sourcing material and making some decisions, a few days spent with a flu-buggy thing, and now finally some time spent on the F15m.

I have come to a compromise with myself on the tube diameter...but more on that later.

Please note that in the pictures to follow, this refractor is simply placed together in a push fit manner and nothing is fixed in place.

I've now completed the first cell/countercell for the Skylight F15m. As promised (and I wouldn't have it any other way anyway), it will be a collimateable cell. A modern 60mm optic with a collimateable cell does not exist (as far as I'm aware), so I've made one (holes are not drilled or tapped yet):

ukcanuck

#4401891 - 02/21/11 03:54 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

At 160mm in length, the dew shield is a long one. I think this is suitable. It's in keeping with the design, and effective. But perhaps it's too long?

Thoughts welcome here please...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13560

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics