Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: << 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | (show all)
poita

Reged: 07/25/11

Re: Pedestal value new [Re: hycheng]
      #5635460 - 01/21/13 06:04 PM

Quote:

Robert,
Do you still have any of the Electro-mechanism 6V PO-50 pull solenoid ? I could use one if you can spare one.
Please PM me.
Thanks in advanced.
Chris

What are you using as a housing to mount your solenoid? I still need to get mine up and running.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Quantix Camera Help Thread. new [Re: poita]
      #5635854 - 01/21/13 10:29 PM

The shutter that I have actually has holes drilled for attaching the solenoid. The picture shows my shutter mounted on the thicker machined quantix shutter mounting plate.

(Ignore the 6v, 4v is actually the correct voltage for the camera's shutter circuit)

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Quantix Camera Help Thread. new [Re: zerro1]
      #5668348 - 02/08/13 05:12 AM

hi all,

so AITech still has a few of these, albeit at $1000.

I already have MaximDL so I am spared the cost of that..

What else must I add to make it usable? is the interface to the PC pure SCSI? or is the PCI card something special that cannot be replaced?

What sort of shutter can I use?

At the end of the day.... how reliable are these? seems to be a lot of jury-rigging involved. I started another thread on this and one user said he ended up spending $1.6K - including Maxim.

So on top of the camera, realistically another $600-ish must be spent? I know these cameras are really inexpensive for what you get, but the price of the camera plus custom work is pretty close to the price of a used ST8300M.

I know its 85K e- full well as opposed to 20K e- and the sensor is much bigger, and the pixels are 4X the area. But for someone looking to get into mono imaging, is this a good bet? I do have the technical background to get this working, but all my past DIYs turned out to be less reliable than buying integrated up front.

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Quantix Camera Help Thread. new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5670729 - 02/09/13 01:13 PM

First off: MaximDL Pro is the version that supports PVCAM.

I've not seen any real complaints on the PCI card - no they are not pure SCSI.

What shutter depends on How much of a DIY project you want it to be. You can buy shutters that are capable of being installed and ready to go, but they run in the $500 range from Uniblitz and Melles Griot.

Reliability- I've got a cam that has a flaw on the shutter circuit, but I bought it that way just to get the shutter.
Since these were Labratory Grade cameras, I'm sure that life expectancy might depend on the life they already lived. (and we don't know that info) Again the "jury rigging"/custom work is 99% on the shutter so is really not reflected on the main system involved.

An 8300 camera is a noisy DSLR on a hot night in comparison the the KAF6303E

Image thread from early last month here No Calibration frames of any kind were used. Could they have been better if I did calibrate? Certainly! but for just practice and fun I didn't find it required. I get '0' vignetting on my AT65EDQ with this camera, and didn't notice any when used on my AT66ED when I used a TRF2008 FF/FR.

They are blooming sensors, so it takes a little experimentation to find the happy spot, and technique for eliminating. Not as much of a problem with Narrow band filters, but with LRGB it happens pretty fast.

For an all around use camera, I wouldn't suggest it, but if you want to do some narrow band imaging I would definately choose this over an 8300!

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5672240 - 02/10/13 12:06 PM

Robert, my question on reliability is how reliable it is when you take it out to use it.

Analogous to going out with my CGEM vs with my Mach1. The CGEM requires all sorts of fiddling, watching the balance, etc. The Mach1 just chugs out round stars all the time without fuss.

So this camera, how consistent is it to use? I already have a QHY8, and it is not that consistent/reliable - I have to watch out for frost on the front glass, frost on the sensor... etc. etc. A sealed 8300M camera would enable me to get rid of all those headaches. But of course it is a noisy DSLR sensor.

zerro1
Postmaster

#5672581 - 02/10/13 03:48 PM

It's been rock solid for me. I had one instance when I canceled a series on shots, I had to "disconnect" in MaximDL anf then reconnect, but I've had to do that with any camera aside from my DSLR.

The KAF6303E is sealed in a chamber. The Tec cooling drops to -30 in an very rapid fashion with no signs of frosting anywhere. I also have a QHY8 and a QHY9C (8300) to choose from when I do Image, and find I'm really more pleased with the larger sensors. In the realities of my imaging oportunities, (cloudy most of the time, rarely two nights clear that rub together) Hybrid imaging is the path I've chosen. The QHY8, or my Canon 1000D account for the RGB, and then the Quantix for L. I use Registar to transform/align the stacks of data from the different sensors.

I honestly expected Vignetting to be an issue with this large sensor but It hasn't even when used with a focal reducer on my AT66ED. I have not had much opportunity to plug it into my AT6RC or my 8" SCT, hope to do that this year.

I think a lot of the "guy's"/People that got into these cameras do so with a clear understanding that this is "my shot at using a High End camera", with some effort(as part of the deal). I want to make mine mobile(in reference to the power requirements) but it's going to cost me a bit in Batteries to make that a reality. I started down that path but held off(due to lack of disposable income).

I put some time into considering the Quantix and absolutely wanted something a little less "imposing", once I fired it up and shot my first image through a Ha filter I was hooked hard.

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5673438 - 02/11/13 02:19 AM

Hmmmmm.

I've had my share of jury-rig setups you see. Like my GoTo-ized AP600E QMD. It works, yes, but I ended up getting a Mach1.

Getting the 600E and putting a Littlefoot GoTo on it was not an inconsiderable cost (over $3000). So I've gotten wary of these types of projects... am still hoping to recover the 600E (fix DEC stiction) but right now it's a dead weight.

The cheapest (new) 6303 is about $6K (SBIG) I believe. That's a long way from $1600 but $6K of something may end up better than $1.6K of nothing..

zerro1
Postmaster

#5674972 - 02/11/13 11:17 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

Well my experience with this camera has been fantastic. course if I had 6g to throw at a camera, the SBIG version with this chip would be at the top of my list. I can certainly understand your sense of caution. It's a decision you have to make for yourself. I'm not trying to convince you to... or not to.

here is my reason for my own involvement..
It's the sensor! Here is a direct size compared to an 8300. It has twice the acreage as an 8300. That's my QHY9 sitting next to it(I copied, rotated and pasted the sensor from the QHY9 so you can see clearly what it's really all about for me(a mono sensor that is huge).

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5675234 - 02/12/13 04:09 AM

Hmm. Yes you are right it is quite tempting.

So the $32 Ilex shutter on ebay.. will that fit? or does it have to be the Prontor?

Also I am concerned about the machining work required..

zerro1
Postmaster

#5676551 - 02/12/13 08:35 PM

Read through the thread, the people that did machine/manufacture their own shutter housings did so to allow specific shutter's to be used.

My own thought(and you're welcome to agree or not)would be to consider a couple other approaches.

1. on ebay there are often some other cameras with Melles Griot shutters on them. Size does matter though: at least a 35mm opening would be best. So if you can get a seller to measure it, could save a lot of the DIY stuff.

2. consider getting a new shutter from Uniblitz, or Melles Griot. (this is what I would have done had I not found the second camera that had the shutter)

Here is one($500) that looks almost exactly like mine that fits inside the front of the camera. it would need the solenoid changed to a 4v from the 24v that's in it. Might try to see how big it is ?? Just do a little research before you commit to one path.

Melles Griot Shutter

zerro1
Postmaster

#5676696 - 02/12/13 10:12 PM

OK... see what happens when I get into these discussions -> looking through the stuff on ebay, I bought a small sensor Quantix KAF1401E NABG camera. Came with the capture card and power supply(pinout and voltages look the same) $150. It's got the identicle QE curve as the KAF6303E and 6.8um pixels. 1317 X 1035 array. AND of course, now I need a shutter(I'm working on it ) I figured it might be fun to try out on some camera lens's... everyone in the Pacific North West is going to blame me for the horrible weather thats on the horizon

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5676964 - 02/13/13 02:32 AM

Yeah I saw those KAF 1401s.... the chip is tiny though. Do tell how it works out. I'm more inclined to experiment with something of that cost.

zerro1
Postmaster

#5678544 - 02/13/13 11:01 PM

Quote:

Yeah I saw those KAF 1401s.... the chip is tiny though. Do tell how it works out. I'm more inclined to experiment with something of that cost.

it'll be a challenge for sure. I found a shutter; hope to have it all by next week. then need to figure out a nose piece.

Will let you know what happens

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5678663 - 02/14/13 12:39 AM

I realized that an easy way to get a nose piece is to get one of those M42 to EOS adapters off ebay. They are dirt cheap (under $5).

of course you end up with an M42x1 thread, which is not T-mount. So you'd need to then get a T-mount to M42 converter to screw into the adapter.

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/08

#5680336 - 02/14/13 10:30 PM

Robert,

Excellent California Neb! I have been preoccupied with the solar project and have not stopped by for a while. Robert's advise is sound and I agree in all aspects. My cam is also rock solid and performing as expected. I have yet to get my second up and running. As you know, I have too many irons in the fire. Disposable income (whatever that is) is usually the issue.

IMHO these cams are worth the buyin and effort to get running.

Orlyandico,

Good luck in your efforts and I wish you a sucessfull outcome. I think you will be pleased.

Robert, thanks for taking care of the thread. I hope to rejoin my colleauges on the dark side soon.

Joe

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Quantix Camera Help Thread. new [Re: sullij1]
      #5680455 - 02/14/13 11:57 PM

Thanks Joe, I try to visit the thread once a day. I'm struggling with this horrible weather pattern in the NW. I'm hoping to get down to some real Hybrids this summer season. I have desire to spend some quality time in Sagitarius

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5685243 - 02/17/13 01:35 PM

Robert... OT. But I lucked out.

There is an Apogee KX32 on ebay and I snagged it for $350 best offer. Includes the camera head and PCI card. Directly supported by MaximDL. And it has a T-thread.

Chip is a Kodak KAF-3200E (or ME, not sure). Problem is the shutter, I don't know if it has one.

zerro1
Postmaster

#5685303 - 02/17/13 02:08 PM

That's the same sensor that is in the SBIG ST10XME.Cool! It's a very sensitive unit, with high QE. I tried to look up the listing to see if I could determine anything about a shutter but couldn't locate it...

I recieved the (untested thought to be dead)Quantix KAF1401E camera with the shutter, now waiting on the "good" camera that needs the shutter. This one has the Uniblitz shutter. The KAF1401E is a 9mm X 5mm sensor... This should be fun! Trying to figure out the "adapter"/thread size and pitch that I will need to make the connection to a scope a reality. It's around a 37mm hole in the plate.

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5685326 - 02/17/13 02:19 PM

ah so the quantix 1401 cameras have a shutter?

i think the apogee has a shutter, because the extensive documentation they have for driving it with maxim only mentions two cameras - the LIS and KX85 - which are interline and have electronic shutters.

anyway it seems this apogee has a PCI card. i hope! but if i'm unlucky it will have an ISA card... and i'll have to bolt together a truly ancient PC to drive it.

the 3200 chip was one of those i've wanted because i'm not too enthralled with the 8300. it is still used in current cameras like the ST-3200 and QSI 532 / 632. so should be a good one. if i got the E version (no micro-lenses) then it will only have 55% QE at H-a (instead of close to 80%) but.... that's still better than my QHY8 OSC.

and for $366 (with shipping) i ain't complaining. if it's broken... well that's what paypal is for.

zerro1
Postmaster

#5686716 - 02/18/13 10:05 AM

YESSSS. Just got confirmation from photometrics... The data cables are interchangable

Edited by zerro1 (02/18/13 08:28 PM)

Pages: << 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 40220

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics