Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: << 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | (show all)
poita

Reged: 07/25/11

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: sullij1]
      #5151159 - 04/01/12 05:26 AM

Thanks, I didn't realise that was the one.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/08

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: poita]
      #5152334 - 04/01/12 08:32 PM

Dis-assembly down to the needed parts is easy, takes about 5 minutes

macona
sage

Reged: 05/18/11

Loc: Beaverton, OR
      #5160208 - 04/07/12 06:43 AM

I was thinking of building a 12v input DC/DC converter power supply to drive the quantix. Anyone else interested? A can say they won't be cheap, the odd voltages make me go about it differently.

Oh, I got another new toy, a Gamma Scientific Spectroradiometer. It is basically a standard optical spectrometer but can do radiometric (power) measurements as well. Good for checking coatings on filters and stuff. I got it for figuring tooling factor when I get into making dielectric coatings.

Gamma Scientific Radoma Spectroradiometer by macona, on Flickr

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: macona]
      #5172615 - 04/14/12 07:42 PM

hooray!! My shutter works! The new 4v solenoid and some spring adjustments and it works like a champ!

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: zerro1]
      #5175339 - 04/16/12 02:14 PM

Good News!

zerro1
Postmaster

#5176389 - 04/17/12 02:21 AM

now it would be nice to get some sky for a real first light...

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

#5179018 - 04/18/12 06:12 PM

Forgoing any eletronics failure, You won't be disappointed.

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

#5185605 - 04/22/12 11:38 PM

zerro1 is up and running under Maxim DL with great success see here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5184886/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Hopefully he will drop by and give us a rundown on his experiences with Maxim and the Quantix when he has had more time to play with it. Kudos Robert!

zerro1
Postmaster

#5192793 - 04/27/12 01:35 AM

Thank's Joe

I had high expectations of my trip to Winthrop, so I decided since MaximDL "pro" supported the camera I would break my oath never to spend that much on software. I'm not very good at reading the "getting started" stuff, but figured out getting it started before I packed the car. I can see things in MaximDL that I don't really care for, but maybe it's just my own perception that needs to change.

maybe this weekend I'll get another shot...

zerro1
Postmaster

#5196752 - 04/29/12 03:18 PM

I got another shot this weekend... this time on my AT65EDQ with a UV/IR cut filter in place. Looks like at 2 minutes I start to get a little bloom on the brighter stars.

guiding was horrible(bad ballance)
27 X 2 minutes of IC1396
No Claibration frames "again" (but I'll get to it next time)

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: MA
      #5197446 - 04/29/12 11:13 PM

Very nice! Are you supporting the camera with something more than the focuser? I plan on making a plate to extend out from the dovetail to support the camera to make things more stable. When it's done I'll post pix. --Keith

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: kw6562]
      #5197552 - 04/30/12 12:47 AM

Quote:

Very nice! Are you supporting the camera with something more than the focuser? I plan on making a plate to extend out from the dovetail to support the camera to make things more stable. When it's done I'll post pix. --Keith

Thanks!

I'm looking at a different mounting configuration to move thw whole assembly forward on the mount head. Just got too much behind the axis. Got to say again, I love this sensor!, I could see the outline for the elephant trunk, in the individual subs on the capture screen.
I sure got a lot to learn about MaximDL..

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: MA
      #5257239 - 06/06/12 12:14 AM

Bumping this thread back up...Some of you might be interested in a project I've been working on to support and focus the camera that I posted in the ATM forum - link - please let me know what you think - so far its seems to be working well. --Keith

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: kw6562]
      #5262125 - 06/08/12 03:39 PM

Keith,

Good to see you have been hard at work. The device looks like an excelent solution. I too have been thiking about this ever since you mentioned it a few months back. I like the idea of the aluminum extrusion. That is truly trick!

Is the rear plate holding the camera attached to the rail or is it floating? how does it stay center? How is the extrusion attached to the saddle? Can you PM me details and pics?

Dude the rig is awesome! Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

I have constructed a home brew Halpha system that uses spacers to hold the Ha filters. This of course adds ~60mm of stuff to hang a camera from. Currently I use the small machine cams to image with but at some point I will want to put the Quantix on for some high res imaging. A set up like the one you have created will do the trick without causing problems in the filter stack.

That rig is really an example of some fine Yankee ingenuity!

poita

Reged: 07/25/11

#5276112 - 06/17/12 07:55 PM

I'm looking at getting a new nosepiece and spacer machined from scratch to house the shutter and be able to attach to the scope via a standard thread.

I can get a bunch made at the same time if anyone is interested, drop me a line. I will only charge costs plus postage. Not sure what the cost will be at this stage, but the more made the less it will be.

It is to hold this shutter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ilex-Electronic-Shutter-110-Volts-for-custom-experimental-work-/200742371401?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2ebd2d8049

macona
sage

Reged: 05/18/11

Loc: Beaverton, OR
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: poita]
      #5313732 - 07/12/12 03:53 AM

The weather has finally gotten better. One thing that has been bugging me is with all the stuff I have added to back like the off axis guider, filter wheel, and focuser, I was wondering if the darn thing would even focus. So I set it up and gave it a try. Yep, I can focus. Even with short 4 second exposures in focus mode I had star trails going across the image.

So the next thing is to figure out a way to balance it. It looks like I will need about lbs at the front to balance it out. Ouch!

Second issue, since this is a fork mount LX200 getting the thing polar aligned is going to be a pain. Not much space between the visual back and the base of the fork when I am pointing north. That means I will loose access to a chunk of sky too. Maybe I will start thinking about building an GEM for it.

Meade 10&quot; LX200 with the Quantix by macona, on Flickr

shurik

Reged: 10/07/07

Re: QUANTIX HELP.........Filters wheel new [Re: macona]
      #5317389 - 07/14/12 12:37 PM

Hi guys, has anyone figured the filter wheel options to go along with Kevin's housing? Could please post any details and pictures.... I had my first try with 7nm Ha yesterday that I attached to the top plate of the Kevin's housing, the camera could still focus but very bright stars had big bloats arond them and looked completely out of shape ...I guess it's because filter is too far away from the sensor...

Thanks, Alex

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Re: QUANTIX HELP.........Filters wheel new [Re: shurik]
      #5319443 - 07/15/12 09:35 PM

Hi Shurik,

Here is the link for others to see Robert's rig and mine up close.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5319421&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&fpart=1&vc=&PHPSESSID=

As far as the bloating and spiking stars, that has to do with exposure time and processing. I have a step by step tutorial on how to get rid of that with DSS in this thread somewhere. DSS will fix the spikes. Bloating will be a function of exposure time and binning. The photos I shot have been up to 10 minutes long with no real bad problem with bloating. On very bright stars you might get some but not a lot. I have some Horse Heads (I did not post) that are 5 and 10 minute long exposures. I will post up later so you can see what I am talking about. You will see that this should not be too much of a problem and can be taken care of by combining short and long exposure stacks or shooting more shorter exposures.

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Re: QUANTIX HELP.........Filters wheel new [Re: sullij1]
      #5319682 - 07/16/12 12:36 AM

Hi Alex,

Here is a Horsehead from Dec. This is the Baadder 7nm. I have some RGB but i don't know what I did with them right now. this is 10x10min, bin1x1 stacked in DSS. I did not tell DSS too fix spikes so you can see the minor spikes on bright stars. Bloating is minimal as you can see by the star between the flame and the Horsehead. This star normally bloats so bad it seperates the two in most images. This is not happening. Alll the spiking and the colum error on the far left will be fixed by DSS when you tell it to.

QUANTIX Ha by Sullij1, on Flickr

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: QUANTIX HELP.........Filters wheel new [Re: sullij1]
      #5319694 - 07/16/12 12:47 AM

after a lot of trial, no make that; "A" "LOT" of trial and error in MaximDL Pro... attempting to take flats, I went to Rsimage and tried. I'll say that I feel closer to success, but have yet to create a satisfactory flat frame. I was encountering black frames in MaximDL(yes, I checked, the shutter was open) near as I can tell, when every pixel is maxed out...you don't get a white image. I = 4095.

I'd like to pick your brains a little. gain settings most often used? are you using a lower gain setting for flat frames and so calibrating your flats separately, matching flat_darks or bias frames to that lower gain?

where I started to get somewhere was when I opened the shutter in the camera control in rsimage, then triggered the capture. I can't find a way to do that in MaximDL.

Pages: << 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 39923

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics