Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

Reged: 02/02/09

Loc: Oregon, USA
Observer Pro is now available on the App Store!
      #4810071 - 09/15/11 10:30 PM

I'm happy to say that Observer Pro is finally available to download from the App Store! Check it out at observerpro.com or on the App Store. Here's a general description of the features in the first release:

Observer Pro is a groundbreaking app for advanced astronomy planning. No more guessing when that galaxy emerges from behind that pesky tree. No more estimating how many hours you'll be able to image an object. Observer Pro gives every astronomer the info they need right at their fingertips!

Exclusive features:

Over 14,000 deep sky objects included, all with closeup reference photos. No need to download anything after install! Advanced sorting and search make it easy to sift through all of them to find which objects belong on your observing list.

Measure your local horizon in minutes with your iPhone 4*!

Unique charts completely take the guesswork out of predicting object visibility. Your house, trees, mountains, or any other obstructions are completely factored in to all visibility charts.

New to astronomy? The Popular List shows trending objects based on observations logged by Observer Pro users. Now you can view a list of the best objects to observe based on actual observations!

Keep a list of your favorite observing sites, each with their own local horizon. Compare object visibility between sites to find the best spot to setup your scope.

There's a lot to observe! Observer Pro gives you a place to maintain a list of your favorite objects as well as an observing list that you can take with you to the eyepiece (red-screen night mode is included). Observer Pro displays easy to see badges next to objects that are favorites or that have been observed.

7Timer! astronomical weather forecasts for your observing sites are viewable without leaving Observer Pro. They give you the outlook on cloud cover, seeing, transparency, and more!

Simple and intuitive interface makes all these powerful features readily accessible. You don't need to be a Certified Astro Geek to use it!

Clear skies!
Josh

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Denimsky
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/21/07

Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: jbury]
      #4811102 - 09/16/11 02:00 PM

Josh.

I bought one for my iPhone.
I played around with it during the day and it looks very good. I'm looking forward to using the local horizon defining feature on my observing sites. That seems to be a killer feature for this app.

Thank you for the good app.

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: Denimsky]
      #4811330 - 09/16/11 04:34 PM

Quote:

Josh.

I bought one for my iPhone.
I played around with it during the day and it looks very good. I'm looking forward to using the local horizon defining feature on my observing sites. That seems to be a killer feature for this app.

Thank you for the good app.

You're welcome. Thank you for the download!

The local horizon feature is really what motivated me to create the app. There's a lot of obstructions in my yard. I have a spot that I always setup at because it seems to have the most sky. After I created and started using Observer Pro I now have three different spots I regularly setup at. I love being able to see definitively which spot will give me the most hours to image a given object and when I'll first be able to see it.

Have a great weekend!
Josh

dkb
sage

Reged: 07/23/08

Loc: Minnesota
      #4811745 - 09/16/11 09:15 PM

Any plans for an iPad version?

Astrosetz
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/05/03

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: dkb]
      #4812361 - 09/17/11 09:32 AM

I'm running it on my iPad now and it works fine, although a version that took advantage of the ipad's larger screen would be most welcome

dkb
sage

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: Astrosetz]
      #4812558 - 09/17/11 11:16 AM

Quote:

I'm running it on my iPad now and it works fine, although a version that took advantage of the ipad's larger screen would be most welcome

I would like to make sure there won't be a separate "HD" version of the app separate from the current version so I wouldn't have to pay another $10 to get the iPad version if I buy the iPhone version now.

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4812796 - 09/17/11 01:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would like to make sure there won't be a separate "HD" version of the app separate from the current version so I wouldn't have to pay another $10 to get the iPad version if I buy the iPhone version now.

An iPad optimized UI is high on the list. Observer Pro will be a universal application, no separate version for the iPad.

Josh

dkb
sage

#4813140 - 09/17/11 05:18 PM

Thanks for the response Josh! Another purchase..

Trombone
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/11/05

Loc: Canadian west (and north!)
      #4813262 - 09/17/11 06:33 PM

Purchased! The horizon definition is the killer aspect of this ap. I look forward to utilizing it.

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: Trombone]
      #4818716 - 09/20/11 05:40 PM

Just sent an update to Apple (1.0.1). Fairly minor but important improvements:
  • Added ability to remove entries from your observing history.
  • Added Satellite and Hybrid options to map view.
  • Fixed bug that caused crash when viewing Open Clusters catalog with sort by name.
  • Disabled editing of 'Device Location' observing site name and location. Wasn't really editable before but the distinction wasn't very clear.
Thanks for the great feedback!
Josh

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
      #4822095 - 09/22/11 02:53 PM

Observer Pro looks useful.

It also looks an awful lot like AstroPlanner for the PC.

Sirius76
Vendor-Dark Skies Apparel

Reged: 05/11/07

Loc: Chicago, Il
Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: Thomas Karpf]
      #4823558 - 09/23/11 11:27 AM

Any plans for an Android version?

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4823991 - 09/23/11 04:41 PM

Quote:

It also looks an awful lot like AstroPlanner for the PC.

It is definitely in the same category. Although not as fully featured as desktop observing planning software, I tried to create a mobile-friendly planning tool that still contains the most important information. Observer Pro is heavily focused on object visibility right now because that was what I wanted most when I started creating it. As I continue to work, Observer Pro will get more capable and extend into other realms of observing (not just DSOs).

Clear skies!
Josh

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: Sirius76]
      #4823995 - 09/23/11 04:43 PM

Quote:

Any plans for an Android version?

Yes, I would like to port Observer Pro over to Android but it probably won't be for a while.

Clear skies!
Josh

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
      #4824037 - 09/23/11 05:14 PM

ITunes is installing Observer Pro as I type...

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4824093 - 09/23/11 05:57 PM

Thanks all for the downloads! I really appreciate your business. Please don't hesitate to leave feedback/suggestions here or direct to me. If you really like the app, feel free to leave feedback on the App Store too

Clear skies!
Josh

Astrosetz
professor emeritus

#4824791 - 09/24/11 07:50 AM

Two suggestions:

1. Ability to sort the observing list like you can with catalogs. If I put a list together I would like to quickly sort in order imshould observe them on a given night.

2. Solar system objects (at least the planets)

Astrosetz
professor emeritus

#4824793 - 09/24/11 07:53 AM

Oh, by the way, I've been showing it to every amateur astronomer I meet. Next week I'm doing the program at our astronomy club and I'm going to show it to about fifty more people then as well!

Traveler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/19/07

Loc: The Netherlands
      #4825232 - 09/24/11 12:47 PM

I'm curious what your club members think about this app, Astrosetz. Please let us know.

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: Traveler]
      #4827610 - 09/25/11 08:41 PM

I have beta tested and even consulted on the design of a number of astronomy apps for iPhone, and have been frustrated that not one programmer jumped at the suggestion to write an app with Observer Pro's capabilities. "Too hard," they all said; "no good way to design such an interface." I am not a programmer, and so was unable to code it myself. I just stumbled across Observer Pro, and am glad to hear Josh has written my dream program. Thanks, Josh! I'll download it and follow this page. Bet it is great, and will only get better!

Trombone
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/11/05

Loc: Canadian west (and north!)
Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #4827726 - 09/25/11 10:02 PM

Just know that to input the local horizon feature easily you need an iPhone, not just the latest iPod touch.

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: Trombone]
      #4827742 - 09/25/11 10:15 PM

Yes thanks, Trombone; perhaps you read in my signature that I have only an iPod, not an iPhone. According the the blurb on the App Store, there is a way to enter the horizon using a protractor and a compass. Presumably with an iPhone, there is some kind of augmented reality function allowing the horizon to be traced with the camera while the compass and GPS render the horizon effortlessly. Can anyone comment on the difficulty of roughing out a horizon manually? I figure it will be worth the effort.

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4827818 - 09/25/11 11:04 PM

Quote:

Two suggestions:

1. Ability to sort the observing list like you can with catalogs. If I put a list together I would like to quickly sort in order imshould observe them on a given night.

2. Solar system objects (at least the planets)

I had a hard time deciding whether to use the same sorting modes with the Observing List or allowing the user to sort manually. Right now you can drag-and-drop to sort manually. What would you think if I supported the other sort modes in the Observing List through the action menu? This would lose any custom sorting you may have set but allows both paradigms to be supported.

Solar System support... I have some great ideas for how I'm going to integrate solar system planning in Observer Pro. Unfortunately they will take a bit of time to implement properly. For the time being I may just add support for the planets with the same visibility charts as the DSOs (I've had lots of requests for this and I'd like to have it too).

I really appreciate you sharing Observer Pro with your club! I have a very limited marketing budget

Clear skies!
Josh

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4827825 - 09/25/11 11:08 PM

Quote:

I have beta tested and even consulted on the design of a number of astronomy apps for iPhone, and have been frustrated that not one programmer jumped at the suggestion to write an app with Observer Pro's capabilities. "Too hard," they all said; "no good way to design such an interface." I am not a programmer, and so was unable to code it myself. I just stumbled across Observer Pro, and am glad to hear Josh has written my dream program. Thanks, Josh! I'll download it and follow this page. Bet it is great, and will only get better!

Wow! Thank you so much for the encouraging words! I have to say, it wasn't exactly easy but I REALLY wanted this type of app for my iPhone.

Clear skies!
Josh

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#4827839 - 09/25/11 11:16 PM

Quote:

What would you think if I supported the other sort modes in the Observing List through the action menu? This would lose any custom sorting you may have set but allows both paradigms to be supported.

Could the first task of any built-in sorting script always be to save the custom sort order for later restoration?

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4827844 - 09/25/11 11:18 PM

Quote:

Yes thanks, Trombone; perhaps you read in my signature that I have only an iPod, not an iPhone. According the the blurb on the App Store, there is a way to enter the horizon using a protractor and a compass. Presumably with an iPhone, there is some kind of augmented reality function allowing the horizon to be traced with the camera while the compass and GPS render the horizon effortlessly. Can anyone comment on the difficulty of roughing out a horizon manually? I figure it will be worth the effort.

It is true that because the iPod touch lacks a magnetometer you will have to manually create and import your local horizon to take full advantage of Observer Pro. The easiest way is to measure your horizon is with a friends iPhone 4 and email the horizon measurement to yourself for import. If that's not possible, you can measure your horizon with either a protractor and compass or your telescope mount. The basic pieces of data that you need are heading values (compass) and the horizon altitude at those headings (protractor, inclinometer, or go-to telescope mount that you can aim and read alt-az values from). You do not need to measure all the way around. The idea would be to measure the critical points (the top corners of your house, the tops of your trees, any low points between trees/house, etc.). Observer Pro will automatically interpolate between the points that you provide. There's some more description of the file format here. Let me know if you have any questions along the way.

Clear skies!
Josh

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4827849 - 09/25/11 11:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What would you think if I supported the other sort modes in the Observing List through the action menu? This would lose any custom sorting you may have set but allows both paradigms to be supported.

Could the first task of any built-in sorting script always be to save the custom sort order for later restoration?

That's an interesting idea. Originally I was going to support multiple observing lists (and I may add it in the future). If there's the ability to maintain multiple observing lists I could add a 'duplicate' function that would effectively be the way you would 'save' your manually sorted list before sorting by magnitude/transit/etc.

Josh

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#4828017 - 09/26/11 04:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's an interesting idea. Originally I was going to support multiple observing lists (and I may add it in the future). If there's the ability to maintain multiple observing lists I could add a 'duplicate' function that would effectively be the way you would 'save' your manually sorted list before sorting by magnitude/transit/etc.

Josh

Could do both. Allow not only creating, but saving and naming custom sorts for use across all custom lists. Also, upon invoking a built-in sort, first save the current custom sort to prevent frustration from accidentally lost sorts. Cool thing is, saving just the parameters (not the sorted list) would occur so quickly as to cause essentially no hit to performance.

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4828739 - 09/26/11 01:59 PM

Quote:

Could do both. Allow not only creating, but saving and naming custom sorts for use across all custom lists. Also, upon invoking a built-in sort, first save the current custom sort to prevent frustration from accidentally lost sorts. Cool thing is, saving just the parameters (not the sorted list) would occur so quickly as to cause essentially no hit to performance.

These are some great ideas. I'm definitely going to do some thinking about how to facilitate more complex observing list management as Observer Pro grows. Thanks for the feedback!

Josh

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#4830367 - 09/27/11 12:29 PM

Busted! But only temporarily. In my excitement, I forgot to check the system requirements. Observer Pro will not run on my older iPod. Funny thing is, had I tried to download it from the iPod, I may have gotten a warning that it was too old; but, when downloading from my Mac's desktop, iTunes gives no such warning, despite knowing the type of iPod I have. Apple, thy name is Redmond! Thou ought to know better.

No worries. I have been planning to upgrade my iPod at the next release of new hardware, which may be early October. I'll continue to follow this thread, and report back after my upgrade.

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4830426 - 09/27/11 12:52 PM

Quote:

Busted! But only temporarily. In my excitement, I forgot to check the system requirements. Observer Pro will not run on my older iPod. Funny thing is, had I tried to download it from the iPod, I may have gotten a warning that it was too old; but, when downloading from my Mac's desktop, iTunes gives no such warning, despite knowing the type of iPod I have. Apple, thy name is Redmond! Thou ought to know better.

Bummer! Which generation iPod touch do you have?

Josh

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#4830494 - 09/27/11 01:30 PM

iPod Touch Gen 2 running iOS 4.2.1. Got a build for antique iPods, even if not all the features worked?

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4830514 - 09/27/11 01:42 PM

Quote:

iPod Touch Gen 2 running iOS 4.2.1. Got a build for antique iPods, even if not all the features worked?

I'm not actually sure why it won't work. The only requirement I set before I sent it off to Apple was iOS 4.2. In any case, I'm not sure how well it would run on a 2nd gen iPod touch, it does a lot of calculations 'on the fly' and may be on the slow side (same for iPhone 3G, works fine on 3GS though).

Josh

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#4830581 - 09/27/11 02:20 PM

Newer iPods use a different graphics engine. I forget what it's called. "OpenGL?" The Gen 2 can not run these new graphics, a likely reason for the bust.

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4830642 - 09/27/11 03:04 PM

That is most likely the issue . I'll see if there's anything I can do on my end to increase compatibility.

Josh

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#4830723 - 09/27/11 04:00 PM

Increasing compatability with older hardware may be worthwhile. All but two of the (well-written) astronomy apps run fine on iPod Gen 2. Only Distant Suns 3 and SkySafari Pro lock up. Not a crash from bad coding, but likely running out of enough RAM for smooth operation. DS3 may load too many functions and SkySafari Pro too much data for the Gen 2's RAM. With only 14,000 objects but lots of calculations on the fly, a version of Obersvation Pro may be fine if written for older hardware.

Of course, it really is getting on time to replace my Gen 2, but support for newer old iPods may boost sales.

Thank you!

Astrosetz
professor emeritus

#4839474 - 10/02/11 02:39 PM

Hi Josh,

Sorry I've been away from CN for a while -- the ideas for sorting the observing list that I've seen are all good ones. Just being able to sort the list like the others would be a welcome start in my book. BTW, having multiple observing lists would be a great enhancement too!

In terms of the planets, the visibility charts would be the most useful anyway (for me, at least). In terms of planning, I'm looking for the answer to "when is Saturn around at 9pm" because I do a lot of outreach events

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4841536 - 10/03/11 02:28 PM

Quote:

Hi Josh,

Sorry I've been away from CN for a while -- the ideas for sorting the observing list that I've seen are all good ones. Just being able to sort the list like the others would be a welcome start in my book. BTW, having multiple observing lists would be a great enhancement too!

In terms of the planets, the visibility charts would be the most useful anyway (for me, at least). In terms of planning, I'm looking for the answer to "when is Saturn around at 9pm" because I do a lot of outreach events

Thanks for the feedback Jeff! Good to hear that multiple lists would be desirable, I was on the fence about that.

Clear skies!
Josh

silverking

Reged: 03/11/08

Loc: Canada
      #4873616 - 10/21/11 11:51 PM

IPad please........that's all that's making me hesitate to press "BUY"

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: silverking]
      #4873649 - 10/22/11 12:11 AM

Quote:

IPad please........that's all that's making me hesitate to press "BUY"

I can't give you an ETA on iPad support but I can say that it will be a free update (universal app). The current version runs pretty well on the iPad if you don't mind the iPhone-sized view or the iPad '2x' mode

Josh

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #5200942 - 05/01/12 10:26 PM

I just bought sky safari and I would like to buy your program as well, it's been 6 months since it was last asked, but what is the timing on the iPad version?

Thanks

P.s. I will prob just buy it anyhow, but as I don't have an iPhone, an iPad version compatible with the horizon import/calc feature seems critically important

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5201100 - 05/01/12 11:50 PM

It has taken much longer than I expected to finish the next big update (version 2.0, which includes full iPad support). Fortunately, many of the things that have been preventing me from making progress are winding down and I'll be able to dedicate much more time to Observer Pro. My plan is to release the update by mid-summer (at the latest!). The trouble is I have so many great features planned that I'm going to have to discipline myself to save some of them for future updates...

In the mean time, you can measure your horizon while running Observer Pro on your iPad (iPad 2 or new iPad). Not ideal, but I can tell you that the iPad interface for Observer Pro is going to be worth the wait!

Josh

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
      #5201103 - 05/01/12 11:53 PM

"I can tell you that the iPad interface for Observer Pro is going to be worth the wait!

Sounds good Josh, can't wait!

bilgebayModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmari...
Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5201242 - 05/02/12 03:14 AM

Take your time Josh. OP is already a terrific app and is very useable on iPad as is!

Best wishes

Sedat

silverking

Reged: 03/11/08

Loc: Canada
Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5264571 - 06/10/12 11:14 AM

Josh,
Can you please confirm your intention to still offer a free upgrade to .v2 for iPad?

I despise iPhone apps on the iPad, but could use, and would purchase your app now (with good weather here!) as long as the upgrade is part of the current purchase price.

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: silverking]
      #5264846 - 06/10/12 02:37 PM

Hi Silverking,

Yes, version 2 (which is going to be a universal app with a fully optimized iPad interface) is going to be a free upgrade to the current version.

I'm actually taking this week off from my day job to make some headway on it

Clear skies,
Josh

David81
sage

Reged: 05/17/10

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5299514 - 07/02/12 05:45 PM

I'll toss in another vote for an Android version. This looks like a great app. I'd love to have a chance to try it out once my new observatory is built this summer

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: David81]
      #5300913 - 07/03/12 04:33 PM

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to create an Android version any time soon. I am considering creating a desktop version though (Windows and Mac)

Josh

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

#5308975 - 07/08/12 09:05 PM

hey uh... this app is great! i just left a 5-star review.

yer website still says it's half-off right now... unless it used to be $20, that info is stale...?

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: pfile]
      #5309009 - 07/08/12 09:37 PM

Doh! Thanks, I forgot to change that part of the home page back to normal

Glad you like it. I really appreciate the reviews!

Josh

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

#5309156 - 07/08/12 11:58 PM

good lord, i really like how it computes the 'green line' including the moon phase and moonrise time. brilliant.

just about the only criticism i might have is that the horizon mapping feature is slightly janky. i am really boxed in and i have to hold the iphone at some pretty extreme angles, and it seems like the gyros/compass don't like that too much. i wonder if it might make more sense to take something like a panoramic photo and binarize it to capture the horizon?

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: pfile]
      #5309172 - 07/09/12 12:15 AM

I'm definitely not happy with how finicky the horizon measurement can be. I blame it on the compass readings. I weight the compass readings with the gyro readings but sometimes the compass has a mind of its own and throws everything off. I've definitely thought about an image-based approach and will probably adopt that in the future for improved accuracy.

Not a day goes by that I don't wish that I could work on Observer Pro full time, there are so many improvements I want to make!

Josh

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

#5324809 - 07/19/12 11:02 AM

Josh-

What is the ETA on the ipad version? Also wanted to know, can i use the horizon feature using an IPAD 3 now? Or does it have to wait until the v2.0 is out?

Thanks!
Al

P.S. when you release the new one, i would suggest 2 tiers of pricing. $4.99 for the basic and maybe $14.99 for the version with the enhanced catalogues. Generally, I think you can make more $ by attracting wider adoption and then offering 'upgrade' to basic users for $9.99 to pro version... just my 2c...

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#5325651 - 07/19/12 07:15 PM

Hi Al,

I'm still planning on releasing the v2 update sometime this summer. There's still a lot of work to do though. Pretty soon I'm going to post some screens of the new sky map that will be part of the next version to give everyone an idea of what's on the way.

However, you don't have to wait to do your horizon measurements. It works great on the iPad 2 and the new iPad

That's an interesting idea for pricing. I have been thinking of ways to lower the barrier for new users. Right now I'm planning on releasing a much simpler free app that shares some features with Observer Pro. Sort of an 'observing outlook' app that will give you a quick look at what's up and which parts of the sky are going to be best for observing/imaging. Of course the free app will be designed such that you'll definitely want Observer Pro to go with it!

Josh

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

#5326786 - 07/20/12 11:59 AM

I am going to download your app tonight and will do the horizon measurement using my wife's ipad 3. (my ipad is the old v.1 )

I look forward to the full Ipad version!

-Al

bilgebayModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmari...
      #5620212 - 01/13/13 06:07 AM

Every time I use OP, I feel grateful to you Joshua. Version 2 will be the icing on the cake.

Will it be possible to import from Sky Tools 3 ? Sorry if this has been asked and answered before.

Greetings.

Sedat

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5624377 - 01/15/13 01:08 PM

Sedat,

Thank you for the encouragement! It's just killing me not having time to finish version 2 right now...

I think what I'm going to do for supporting various formats is provide web-based conversion tools. Yes, at the moment I have a terrible track record with that (I still haven't figured out how to get Sky Safari horizon converter working again...) but at least the other conversion tools won't require any custom settings on my web server (the horizon converter required a custom build of php do be able to do the graphics). Speaking of php administration, anyone out there have any experience with that?

Clear skies,

Josh

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#5646469 - 01/27/13 05:17 PM

Good news! I finally have a solution online for converting Observer Pro horizon files into SkySafari panoramas. Head over to http://observerpro.com/converters to download the converter script.

Feel free to send feedback my way if you have improvement suggestions. Thanks for all your patience!

Josh

kkokkolis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Piraeus, Greece
      #6017864 - 08/10/13 03:59 PM

I would love to have an upgrade after one year of ownership.

Amaranthus

Reged: 02/01/14

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: kkokkolis]
      #6352949 - 02/03/14 10:40 AM

Hi Josh - now Feb 2014, about a year on from your previous posting about Observer Pro - any chance of an update on progress towards v2?

demiles
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: Amaranthus]
      #6354002 - 02/03/14 06:59 PM

I hope it gets an up date, it's only second to Sky Safari as being my most used app.

Amaranthus

Reged: 02/01/14

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: demiles]
      #6354785 - 02/04/14 02:35 AM

I agree - the two apps you mention demiles are highly complementary (I have Sky Safari Pro 4 on my iOS, used mostly on my iPad due to the extra screen real estate). At the scope, Observer Pro is my #1 planning/logging tool - I love the fact that I have a perfect representation of my horizon!

If Josh is looking for suggestions for v2 (or feedback on how I use v1 lists etc.), then I'll be happy to supply!

wboeck

Reged: 12/01/04

Loc: Nebraska
      #6629617 - 07/12/14 10:31 AM

Are there still plans on making an Android version of this? I have a version on my iPod but would prefer to use it on my Android Galaxy. thanks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6171

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics