Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Reged: 05/01/03

Loc: Germany
New Orthos from Germany
      #5003755 - 01/06/12 06:04 AM

Hello Everybody

this Morning I have had a phone talk with the TMB Mono Manufactur in Berlin/Germany.

Everything we want is now clear understood and they will make a first offer for 10 mm, 25 mm and 34 mm.

The goal is to get the same level of quality as the latest Zeiss ABBE Ortho's II.

They will send me now a offer. if we accept the offer, the designing work takes roughly 8 week for optics, coating, mechanics etc.

We will use my bandnew never used Zeiss ABBE II as reference, they will measure the coating transmission and other things, so we are shure we make a equal quality eyepiece.

Then a prototype will be made and we get it for testing. If we say yes to the prototpye we start first production run.

If you all like that design , we will expand the line

Pricepoint : They asked me abgout price. I told them if it cost the same money as the ABBE sold , we are ok, that should be at current exchange rate ( 1 Euro = $ 1.30) around $ 350 or a bit less.

now lets wait a bit and see what comes out

Edited by APM M.Ludes (01/06/12 06:11 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: APM M.Ludes]
      #5003962 - 01/06/12 09:54 AM

Mak2007
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/24/07

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #5004460 - 01/06/12 03:50 PM

Awesome news!!! Please let us know when they are ready, I am very interested especially in the long focal ones.

ZielkeNightsky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/06

Loc: Denmark
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Mak2007]
      #5004461 - 01/06/12 03:52 PM

Great news

BWAZ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/05

Loc: CA
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: ZielkeNightsky]
      #5004729 - 01/06/12 06:50 PM

I'm in if it works out as planned.

Gord
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: BWAZ]
      #5004967 - 01/06/12 10:04 PM

Very exciting! I like the sound of the details so far.

Clear skies,

Sirius76
Vendor-Dark Skies Apparel

Reged: 05/11/07

Loc: Chicago, Il
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Gord]
      #5005036 - 01/06/12 10:45 PM

Keep us posted! I'm in for a set!!

Moonglum
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/01/08

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Sirius76]
      #5005108 - 01/06/12 11:35 PM

What are the field stops of the 25 and 34's?

Jim Rosenstock
Postmaster

Reged: 07/14/05

Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula
      #5005145 - 01/06/12 11:55 PM

Quote:

Keep us posted! I'm in for a set!!

+1

I'm in, Markus!

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51°N 4°E
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Jim Rosenstock]
      #5005909 - 01/07/12 05:01 PM

Any chance for a 15 mm? For me 10 is too close to the BGO 9.

Aleko

Reged: 08/01/10

Loc: Georgia
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5006250 - 01/07/12 08:38 PM

I would definitely be interested in the 10mm (or less).

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Aleko]
      #5006942 - 01/08/12 09:48 AM

we also running a discussion in Germany about the new eyepieces and they brough up the Idea of a König II modell, which offers a wider field of around 55° and a higher eyerelief then the ortho.
In conjunction we also discussing a real comacorrected barlowlens on top of the excisting TMB barlow for all those owning a newtonian telescope.

The Konig is also a 4 element eyepiece and a cool idea, as i think.

suburbanskies
sage

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New Jersey, USA
      #5007025 - 01/08/12 10:36 AM

Yes cool idea, Markus.

How are the optical aberrations of the Konig II and the ortho different? Do we really get bigger field and more eyerelief for free?

Thanks,
Mark

Sirius76

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: suburbanskies]
      #5007121 - 01/08/12 11:31 AM

Markus,

Keep my name in the hat for the Orthos

Mak2007
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/24/07

#5007166 - 01/08/12 11:51 AM

Quote:

we also running a discussion in Germany about the new eyepieces and they brough up the Idea of a König II modell, which offers a wider field of around 55° and a higher eyerelief then the ortho.
In conjunction we also discussing a real comacorrected barlowlens on top of the excisting TMB barlow for all those owning a newtonian telescope.

I personally think that this is a great, great idea. Here in USA the company University Optics offered years ago a line of Konigs II made in Japan, which were pretty good in long achromats (not popular today) as well as Schmidt-Cassegrain and Maksutov-Cassegrain telescopes. I had some, and I really liked them. I believe that what killed the Konigs from the market was the popularization of fast telescopes with short F ratio like Dobsons, Apos and even Achro refractors; here people started to complain about the performance of the Konigs. Also, the appearance in the market of other wide field eyepieces, some of them cheaper than the U.O. Konigs, made UO (or the manufacturer in Japan) to discontinue them.
If you could design a Konig keeping an on-axis performance of the Abbe ortho, and with a lateral correction usable in up to F/5 scopes, then you should have a winner eyepiece.
Importantly, whatever eyepiece design you use, your new eyepiece must have an on-axis performance identical to a Supermonocentric or a Zeiss Abbe... this is crucial to me and probably to other users as well.
Good luck with this adventure. Count me in (PS. I have bought some of my supermonos from you in the past and I am truly interested in this new German eyepieces. All the best)

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Mak2007]
      #5007502 - 01/08/12 02:35 PM

we will compare the spots before w emake a final decision, but on axis , same good made, they should have identical performance.
The König II is stated to be superior to the Zeiss Abbe, read this article
http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org/BrayObsWebSite/BOOKS/EVOLUTIONofEYEPIECES.pdf

and here the overview
http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org/BrayObsWebSite/HOMEPAGE/PageMill_Resources/PUBLICATIONS/treediag.jpg

there is another idea coming up, mentioned by Uwe Laux of Zeiss

YAG cristall = Yttrium-Aluminum-Granat of the eye lens with superior performance , saves 1 lens in the field group. But this is super hard and maybe much to expensive element

Jim Rosenstock
Postmaster

#5007537 - 01/08/12 03:01 PM

Markus,

I love my old University Optics Konig eyepieces, and would also love to see a high-end German Konig reissue.

There is confusion, BTW, about what constitutes "Konig" and "Konig-II" etc....as you know, Albert Konig created many eyepiece designs, which have also been modified by others.

In any case, I'd support an uber-Konig reissue as well. But I think that a German made uber-Abbe would generate more interest.

As for YAG eyelenses, can you explain the benefits (and possibly quantify the added cost)?

Cheers,

Jim

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51°N 4°E
      #5008513 - 01/09/12 08:34 AM

Quote:

The König II is stated to be superior to the Zeiss Abbe, read this article
http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org/BrayObsWebSite/BOOKS/EVOLUTIONofEYEPIECES.pdf

If you're reading that text, Markus, weren't you intrigued by the description of eyepieces that "have very flat 60° fields at f/4 completely free from rectilinear distortion,
lateral colour, and minimal astigmatism. These eyepieces are highly corrected with extended eye clearance of 1.2Fe."?

sungrazer

Reged: 09/14/07

#5008636 - 01/09/12 10:24 AM

I admit, that I'm not an expert in optics of any kind. But, when I look at the König II design, there are more air to glas surfaces compared to the Abbe Ortho design, isn't it?. I would still vote for the Abbe design...

ThomasM
sage

Reged: 04/19/09

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: sungrazer]
      #5009217 - 01/09/12 04:03 PM

Actually,

the design of the aspheric Abbe ortho (25 mm focal length) with three lenses and 55 degree AFOV is very interesting. It seems that the some of the Zeiss microscope eyepieces follow this direction, e.g.the 10 mm focal length with comfortable 11 mm eyerelief and 55 degress AFOV.
Several years ago Astro Physics has manufactured eyepieces, the Super Planetary with only three lenses and long eye relief (100-140 % of the focal length).

I think this would be very interesting option for a new line of eyepiece. I would be most interested in 6 and 8 mm, but the longer focal length would off course also be interesting.

Thomas

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #5012427 - 01/11/12 03:33 PM

Quote:

Yes 4 elements, but your air-glass interfaces jumps to 6 instead of 4 with an ABBE. Given the almost zero light loss from the glass itself, if you are going to go to 6 air-glass interfaces then there are a host of 5 and more element designs that will stay with the 3 group concept of the Konig II, so it is a 4/3 design whereas the ABBE is a 4/2 design.

Thinking about production, if you are going to use a 3 group design, figure 2 of this partent shows a 3/3 design with good off-axis and good eye relief. Bertele also I believe has a 4/3 design, as do Shultz, Galoc, and Kalliscopic.

eastwd

Reged: 08/21/11

Loc: Nashville
      #5019015 - 01/15/12 02:31 PM

Marcus, I’m late to this thread, and I missed the thread you started back in mid-December where you invited people to answer the question, “what’s the market missing?” with regard to world class planetary eyepieces. I’m fairly new as far as CN membership and don’t post much, but I read the forums avidly, have been an amateur astronomer for about 35 years, and am geeked on planetary eyepieces. From your original post, it sounded like the ship had sailed and that your manufacturer’s going to give you a quote for 50 units of 10mm, 25mm, and 34mm Abbe orthos. But the König discussion makes me think there’s still some flexibility before you decide what to offer to see if enough interest is there for a production run. It also sounds like maybe you're not limited by design costs to copying a specific, discontinued eyepiece.

Now to my point: are you sure the best option is to offer another 10mm? The ZAO-II offering a couple of years ago included a 10mm eyepiece, so many of us already have that focal length covered. (I have a pair of 10mm ZAO-Is.) It seems that if you really want to fill a gap in the market and move some units, you’d do better to offer a world class ortho in a focal length that’s been “under-served” for a long time, like 7, 8 or 9mm. I’m still trying to put together a set of used .965 Pentax SMC orthos in the 7 and 9mm focal lengths for binoviewing, or a pair of 8mm AP SPLs – I’d snap up pairs in any of those focal lengths from your new offering in a heartbeat, and I’ll bet a lot of other folks with full sets of ZAOs would, too. But I just don’t need another 10mm (or 6mm) planetary eyepiece.

One final idea, in keeping with the notion that offering unique but useful focal lengths will expand your market and attract more buyers. What about making the initial offering in these three unique focal lengths: 8mm, 22mm, and 36mm? My needs are already covered in the 25mm focal length, but I’d jump at the chance to own a pair of 22 or 36mms. You could add an option for a high quality Abbe barlow at 1.5x – which would also be a unique accessory. Buyers who purchase just the three new focal lengths, plus the new 1.5x barlow and any high quality 2x barlow would have this range of focal lengths: 4mm, 5.3mm, 8mm, 11mm, 14.7mm, 18mm, 22mm, 24mm, 36mm. Very nice!

Larry

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: eastwd]
      #5020066 - 01/16/12 05:18 AM

Hi Larry

I agree with you, the 10,25,34 came up from the people who replied here and elsewhere, they mentioned this 3 focallength as the most welcome once

suburbanskies
sage

#5020341 - 01/16/12 10:16 AM

Markus,

Later when you have price quotes, you may want to take a vote among your customers who will actually buy. What focal lengths will they want? As you know, the people who post on forums may ask for one thing but then disappear when it comes time to provide money!

Mark

telescopemullet
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/16/09

#5021213 - 01/16/12 05:11 PM

I got the money and I want part of this for sure!!!!

poorman

Reged: 10/08/03

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: telescopemullet]
      #5021428 - 01/16/12 06:55 PM

Since I missed the other great planetary ep sets of the past several years, TMB Supermono, ZAOII, being absent from the hobby: I will be buying these.

Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/18/05

Loc: NorCal
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: poorman]
      #5021881 - 01/16/12 10:51 PM

I'm still hoping for a 5 and 8mm. I don't need anything longer than 10mm.

CarlDD
sage

Reged: 07/23/07

Loc: Serbia
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Alvin Huey]
      #5025849 - 01/18/12 10:44 PM

Hi Markus
I'd like to put my name down for a pair of the 34mm Orthos, how or where can I do that ?
Best Regards
Carl

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: CarlDD]
      #5026543 - 01/19/12 10:57 AM

here is fine, when prices knowns, I will post it here , then we move on with info for pre order

michael_m
sage

Reged: 11/16/10

Loc: Mount Vernon, Wa
      #5027863 - 01/20/12 12:44 AM

I am just getting back into it after many years. I missed out on the ZAO II's. I would go for the 10mm, then depending on the "expanded line", a couple of others.

Tiny
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/02/08

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: michael_m]
      #5029753 - 01/21/12 12:43 AM

Markus thanks so much for your efforts in trying to bring about another premium EP offering. If i may ask though i assume you're using Berliner Glas again? Any possability of tacking on a small order of Super Monocentrics with the orthos at a similar price point [namely in the 12-18mm focal length range] or do you think that would be redundant [performance wise] even if it were possible?

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
      #5029826 - 01/21/12 03:06 AM

That's good news, Markus.

Another potential Ortho purchaser here in Switzerland.
Time is overdue for new reference grade Ortho eyepieces. If really on par with those ZAO-II, I will be very happy to buy some pairs of the new TMB Orthos for my Baader Mk V binoviewer.

I will watch this thread with interest.

Stephan

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Tiny]
      #5030861 - 01/21/12 05:05 PM

Hi Tiny

same maker again, yes , smallest run super monos per focal length is 25 pc but at very high cost, so nobody will buy them.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5030867 - 01/21/12 05:07 PM

they still desiging and calculating, hope for some news this week.

In any case we realive the famous TMB 1.8 barlow, 50 pc, 30 pc are already pre sold, see my barlow add for that here

Levine
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
      #5032925 - 01/22/12 08:37 PM

I'm in, at least for a 34.
Wow.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5032953 - 01/22/12 09:00 PM

Markus:

I'd like to see 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 12mm, 16mm, 20mm, 26mm and 32mm. It'd be great if they had a polish spec better than that used for the ZAO IIs. I'd love the 1mm increment progression in shorter focal length units for double star and planetary use.

Regards,

Jim

Sirius76

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5033178 - 01/22/12 11:12 PM

I have to agree with Jim. Though Id probably buy any orthos you release Markus, I'd definitely purchase the shorter fl versions. 6 thru 12 would be my first choices not for planets and doubles but for galaxies and galaxy groups. I wouldn't hesitate with a few from that range!

Edited by Sirius76 (01/22/12 11:21 PM)

Larry Geary
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/06

#5043651 - 01/29/12 02:49 AM

Mentioning a Konig in connection with Orthos reminds me of the old UO Professional series: 28mm Ortho, 16mm Konig, then 10.2mm, 6.8mm and 4mm Orthos. Maybe you should consider 2 or 3 Konigs mixed in with the Orthos, for example, 16mm, 11mm, 7mm Konigs. The idea of using YAG for a lens is also interesting, but what design would the eyepiece be? What characteristics would it have?

BTW, if at all possible, try to produce eyepieces with a flat field. At my age and with my lack of accommodation, field curvature really bothers me.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Larry Geary]
      #5043680 - 01/29/12 05:15 AM

Hi Larry

Flat Field means what ? A eyepiece can be designed flat field only with a special telescope modell, becauase each scope has a diffrent curvative. So if you design a eyepiece for 1 scope to be flat field, it will not be flat field with another scope

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
      #5059205 - 02/06/12 08:24 PM

I'm interested in the high-end konigs. 55 degrees sounds good, extra FOV is not needed if it's distorted. I like Clave Plossls and the extra FOV they provide over orthos, a modern 50-55 degree 4-element eyepiece manufactured like Zeiss orthos would be fantastic. 16mm would be an ideal focal length for me.

I would really like to see someone license the Astro-Physics SPL design. It does an excellent job of staying sharp to the edge of field and adding more eye relief compared to orthos, plossls, and monos. The 3-element Zeiss microscope "aspheric" ortho also seems like a superior design, would love to see more of these as well.

Levine
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
      #5075588 - 02/16/12 02:03 PM

Quote:

here is fine, when prices knowns, I will post it here , then we move on with info for pre order

Markus, I am in for a 34 mm Ortho / Konig III!

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Levine]
      #5075852 - 02/16/12 05:04 PM

ok, but lets wait till we have a price

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5078353 - 02/18/12 11:03 AM

Are there still 25mm Orthos available in this run or has it sold out already?

houser23
sage

Reged: 10/26/09

Loc: Rocklin, CA
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: russell23]
      #5078453 - 02/18/12 12:23 PM

I would jump all over the 34mm since it's virtually impossible to find a used 34mm ZAO anywhere.

So yea put me on the list.

Jim Rosenstock
Postmaster

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: houser23]
      #5080098 - 02/19/12 12:17 PM

If I might summarize what I've gathered from both of Markus's current threads:

* The factory will gear up for runs of 25 or more. There's a firm order for 25s of the Supermono 4, 5, and 6mm, and people can "pile on" to those orders NOW. They are 295 Euros; expect to pay upfront; Markus is not financially "fronting" these runs.

* A firm order for 25 will revive any other Supermono focal length. Again, plan to front the start-up money yourself.

* Markus currently has his designers working on an Uber-Konig line, instead of the earlier planned Ortho line. 34, 22, and 8mm are proposed. Still waiting on a price; these would also require a deposit or prepayment.

MARKUS--do I have this right??

Personally, as a longtime fan of the old-school UO Konigs (as well as their Orthos, of course) I would be tickled to have an Uber-premium Konig or two.....

Jim

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
      #5081828 - 02/20/12 11:35 AM

They all sound like exciting offerings. I wish you the best of luck with the manufacture.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5085780 - 02/22/12 03:03 PM

Hi €8' , perfect summarize....we also working on a coma correcting zoom barlow by the same german company :-)..... Will be hot product if possible and we ask for no focus shift if possible

AZStarGuy
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/05/08

Loc: Scottsdale AZ
      #5089142 - 02/24/12 03:56 PM

Markus -

Thanks for the additional info. This is very exciting!

houser23
sage

Reged: 10/26/09

Loc: Rocklin, CA
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: ThomasM]
      #5093014 - 02/26/12 09:56 PM

Sorry Markus, a 34mm ZAO just landed in my lap so I will respectfully bow out of your list.
Keep up the good work though I'm sure everyone appreciates your tenacious approach to bring back quality eyepiece lines.

Traveler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/19/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: houser23]
      #5096988 - 02/29/12 06:29 AM

Hi Markus,

Are we able to see these new orthos, or the prototypes, the coming ATT?

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Traveler]
      #5098007 - 02/29/12 04:55 PM

no, got yesterday the info, that quote needs about 2 weeks longer, production will need monthes, so I believe not in ATT, sorry

Sgt
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/17/05

Loc: Under the southern horn of the...
      #5126605 - 03/17/12 07:09 AM

Perhaps edge blacken them if they are going ahead? This suggests it my improve performance

http://www.edmundoptics.com/technical-support/optics/edge-blackening/

suburbanskies
sage

#5137245 - 03/23/12 02:10 PM

Quote:

no, got yesterday the info, that quote needs about 2 weeks longer

Hi Markus, any news?

Thank you,
Mark

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5139313 - 03/24/12 05:54 PM

I have had a little email exchange this week and its going soooo slow , but now they promissed me to work on the offer fast, hope to have news in 1,2 weeks

Moonglum
professor emeritus

#5139379 - 03/24/12 06:50 PM

I think a focal length in 16mm to 12mm for these uber konigs should be considered. This is for purely selfish reasons obviously. A pair of 15mm's would become 5mm's with a 3X glaspath in my apos, and 1.25X glaspath in for my f15 mac would be perfect too. The multiple use of the Focal length would cement my purchase.

saemark30
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/21/12

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Moonglum]
      #5145935 - 03/28/12 06:45 PM

Put me down for the 25mm and 34mm Orthos from Germany.
Make them look like the ZOA IIs!

Might want to add a 12mm and 8mm in there rather than 10mm.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5154815 - 04/03/12 02:31 PM

How many air-to-glass surfaces in the Konig II?

I applaud your efforts to breathe some new life into a very stagnant simple high end eyepiece market.

Regards,

Jim

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5154961 - 04/03/12 04:10 PM

the company in germany makes it really difficult. Actual status is , that they will offe rme a design study of what we can expect .

Hard to understand, while all we want is a excisting eyepiece design making in high quality.

if it continues this way, its maybe better to step back and go with the already excisting ortho design..I want to move on and get something done

HCR32
sage

Reged: 08/27/10

Loc: Australia
      #5155677 - 04/04/12 05:13 AM

Quote:

the company in germany makes it really difficult. Actual status is , that they will offe rme a design study of what we can expect .

Hard to understand, while all we want is a excisting eyepiece design making in high quality.

if it continues this way, its maybe better to step back and go with the already excisting ortho design..I want to move on and get something done

Go for the excisting ortho design Marcus. If their going to be anywhere as good as the tmbs where they will sell out regardless of the wide-field large ER everyone want. I'm in for what ever FL you make above 18mm!!!

suburbanskies
sage

#5155886 - 04/04/12 09:49 AM

At this point Markus, you should wait for the Konig design study. It may surprise us. The ortho option will always be available...

Mark

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5156388 - 04/04/12 04:35 PM

ok we will wait till end of april, then make a decision , fair enough ?

suburbanskies
sage

#5156675 - 04/04/12 07:56 PM

Sounds good!

HCR32
sage

#5157137 - 04/05/12 06:48 AM

yep

BillP
Postmaster

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: HCR32]
      #5157967 - 04/05/12 04:58 PM

Quote:

Go for the excisting ortho design Marcus. If their going to be anywhere as good as the tmbs where they will sell out regardless of the wide-field large ER everyone want.

Agreed.

BillP
Postmaster

#5157989 - 04/05/12 05:12 PM

Quote:

How many air-to-glass surfaces in the Konig II?

I applaud your efforts to breathe some new life into a very stagnant simple high end eyepiece market.

Regards,

Jim

From my reading, Konig-I is 1-2-1 design, Konig-II is 2-1-1 and Konig Wide Field is 3-2-1. the Konig-II offers better orthoscopy and ER than the Konig-I. Trying to get more than 55 degrees out of them would mean a sacrifice to orthoscopy, eyerelief, and/or flatness of field.

Moonglum
professor emeritus

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: BillP]
      #5158106 - 04/05/12 06:51 PM

BGO's are what-95% the performance of ZAO II's?
What could possibly be 95% the performance of an ubered Konig II design? GSO superviews? Naw...oppurtunity is knocking on the Konig II door. More orthos will simply be... more orthos. The best quality sure, but the limited field of view precludes alt/az viewers, and there are more and more of us all the time.

pbsastro
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/21/07

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Moonglum]
      #5189713 - 04/25/12 11:50 AM

I would be interested in pairs of 20 and 32-34. I will keep the pairs of ZAO-II and aspheric triplets, so not interested in 25 and 16. However 20 fits perfectly between with 1.25x progression.
I am only interested in ZAO-II grade or better. Not interested in BGO grade or even SuperBGO grade. I compared BGO 18 to ZAO-16 and they are not in the same league. Off-axis of course. On-axis even ball eyepieces are top...
IMO the goal should be to make it even better than ZAO-II, not how to get it cheaper.
ZAOs ER is perfect starting at 16, no need to improve there. What could be improved is the slight field curvature of the ZAO-II 16. No astigmatism however, unlike BGOs and SuperPlossls.
Like ZAOs, improvements should be achieved by special glass, polish and coatings, not by extra elements. For that we have Ethos, etc.

Edited by pbsastro (04/25/12 07:05 PM)

pbsastro
professor emeritus

#5190356 - 04/25/12 05:59 PM

Quote:

Hi Larry

Flat Field means what ? A eyepiece can be designed flat field only with a special telescope modell, becauase each scope has a diffrent curvative. So if you design a eyepiece for 1 scope to be flat field, it will not be flat field with another scope

Markus, flat means flat with flat field scope, such as EdgeHD, TV NPs, 65EDQ, etc. Medium and large refractors also have insignificant field curvature for narrow field eyepieces as orthos.

Pedro

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: pbsastro]
      #5191905 - 04/26/12 03:25 PM

Hi Pedro

even the scopes you name are not flat field, they have a better field correction, but they are not flat field. Flat field means to me, at edge the same spot as in center

suburbanskies
sage

#5196368 - 04/29/12 11:16 AM

Quote:

ok we will wait till end of april, then make a decision , fair enough ?

OK Markus, it is now the end of April. Shall we switch to the orthos?

Mark

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

#5210428 - 05/07/12 02:56 PM

Still very interested in any news on those new German Orthos with ZAO-II quality level...

Stephan

pbsastro
professor emeritus

#5210853 - 05/07/12 07:14 PM

Quote:

Still very interested in any news on those new German Orthos with ZAO-II quality level...

Stephan

Me too, but at 20mm and above only, to complement the ZAO-II.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5212200 - 05/08/12 02:37 PM

Today I have had a phone talk

1, next week the famous ED Barlow arrives for shipping, a few are left , for those who still want one

2, I was promissed to get the answere before May 22 regards the eyepiece ...some companys are really slowly working :-(

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

#5212258 - 05/08/12 03:11 PM

Quote:

I was promissed to get the answere before May 22 regards the eyepiece ...some companys are really slowly working :-(

That's good news!

Stephan

Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/18/05

Loc: NorCal
      #5212392 - 05/08/12 04:31 PM

Just wanted to put a plug for the TMB ED 1.8x Barlow...if you are looking for a great 1.25" barlow - this is it.

I use it with my ZAO-II's and Delos - amazing!

pbsastro
professor emeritus

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Alvin Huey]
      #5213447 - 05/09/12 10:09 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to put a plug for the TMB ED 1.8x Barlow...if you are looking for a great 1.25" barlow - this is it.

I use it with my ZAO-II's and Delos - amazing!

Is it better than the Zeiss barlow (sold with ZAO-II)?

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5213470 - 05/09/12 10:25 AM

both are perfect as it can be

pbsastro
professor emeritus

#5213472 - 05/09/12 10:26 AM

Quote:

2, I was promissed to get the answere before May 22 regards the eyepiece ...some companys are really slowly working :-(

Markus, I must say I was very surprised when you mentioned initially 8 weeks for production.
Taking so long to reply is not a good sign for the real production time...
In situations like this we realise the value of dealing with APM, with super fast response time and fast delivery time, including parts actually produced by APM like scope tubes.

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

#5213791 - 05/09/12 01:24 PM

Good things come to those who wait (at least sometimes...)

If the final product will be on EXACTLY the same quality level as the terrific ZAO-II, I will be very happy to accept that waiting time.

Stephan

Sgt
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/17/05

Loc: Under the southern horn of the...
      #5234573 - 05/22/12 06:38 PM

Quote:

1, next week the famous ED Barlow arrives for shipping, a few are left , for those who still want one

Well, 22nd May has come and gone in Germany, has Berliner Glas kept it's promise to you?

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Sgt]
      #5235939 - 05/23/12 03:35 PM

I am sorry to report, NO, and I am close to give up at this point, they do not come out with info, they always delay me again and again.

I started to work with Valery Deryuzhin of Aries on a new eyepiece project, he made the AP SPL series as you may know.

I am shure it will be a longer way till we see some

For now I am thinking to order at my own risk some small , expensive runs of Super Monos and sell them singles at the needet high price.

It looks to me some of the best players in the market have to much business, otherwise they would not be so slow

CarlDD
sage

Reged: 07/23/07

Loc: Serbia
      #5238302 - 05/25/12 01:10 AM

Hi Markus
Please don't give up on the new long focal length Orthos.
I'd realy like a pair of 30-something mm focal length orthos for Solar bino viewing.
Best Regards
Carl

suburbanskies
sage

#5238690 - 05/25/12 10:06 AM

OK, Markus I will take the bait What is your new project with Aries?

Regarding the Supermonos, I'm still interested in a pair of 21mm Monos.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5238720 - 05/25/12 10:30 AM

the german company talked yesterday with me, they did not give up, but the Docter Ing who doing the design, wants to do something special and have to check all international patents, that why it takes them so long

we also came up with the Idea to re-introduce the famous 25 mm aspherical Zeiss again , same Body style, interested ?

suburbanskies
sage

#5238814 - 05/25/12 11:32 AM

Markus, I would be interested in the 25mm Aspheric. I sold my pair earlier and regret it!

OK, will wait to see if the designer makes something very spezial.

saemark30
Pooh-Bah

#5239350 - 05/25/12 05:00 PM

Would the 25mm Aspheric work down to f/4.5?

suburbanskies
sage

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: saemark30]
      #5239613 - 05/25/12 07:50 PM

I've been happy with it down to f/6 in a Newt but others with different levels of focus accommodation will feel differently. Most times I used it in a f/9 refractor and it was excellent to my eyes.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5240225 - 05/26/12 04:27 AM

F/4.5 is even hard for eyepieces like Nagler or Ethos, the 25 will be not good at the edge, so I say no

Jim Curry
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/29/07

Loc: STL
      #5240629 - 05/26/12 12:40 PM

Markus:

I think the lesson you can draw from this thread is "If you find someone to make it, it will sell".

Jim

ManuelJ
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/19/05

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Jim Curry]
      #5243334 - 05/28/12 07:17 AM

The problem here is words like "short run", "expensive". I think this kind of eyepieces should be available more comercially, since I think they will sell quite well.

pbsastro
professor emeritus

#5244083 - 05/28/12 02:50 PM

Quote:

the german company talked yesterday with me, they did not give up, but the Docter Ing who doing the design, wants to do something special and have to check all international patents, that why it takes them so long

That is good.

Quote:

we also came up with the Idea to re-introduce the famous 25 mm aspherical Zeiss again , same Body style, interested ?

Markus, what do you mean re-introduce? Don't you still sell the 25mm aspherics on your website?

I think I would prefer 20mm to complement the ZAO-II 16s and the aspheric triplets.

As much as I like the 25mm aspheric triplets (I have 4 of them!), they do not have the edge correction (unbarlowed) of the ZAO-II 16. So an equivalent of the ZAO-II on 20, 25 or 32mm would be welcome. Below that there are already ZAO-IIs and Monocentrics.

Pedro

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5244225 - 05/28/12 04:29 PM

Pedro

years ago we bought from Zeiss the aspherics orthos, Berliner Glas took out the glas and installed it into a eyepiece mechanics matched in apperane to the monos.
This Job can be done again.

Regards a new better corrected design, I can say again, we must wait till the optical engineers come out with here result.

We still have some hope :-)

saemark30
Pooh-Bah

#5245759 - 05/29/12 02:27 PM

I think the ZAO I 25mm and 34mm were amazing eyepieces.
If you can make more, they will sell!

saemark30
Pooh-Bah

#5288895 - 06/25/12 06:26 PM

I guess this is dead with the Supermono announcement.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5289481 - 06/26/12 02:04 AM

not at all !!!

ThomasM
sage

Reged: 04/19/09

#5295876 - 06/30/12 04:55 AM

why not starting a remake of something like the atrophyics super planetary eyepieces, a three lense design, they have excellent performance and much larger eyerelief than plössls and orthos

Thomas

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: ThomasM]
      #5296110 - 06/30/12 09:55 AM

Quote:

why not starting a remake of something like the astrophysics super planetary eyepieces, a three lense design, they have excellent performance and much larger eyerelief than plössls and orthos

Thomas

I always asked, why not a remake of the great ZAO-II's (1:1 on par with Zeiss quality)? Acceptable eye relief in a 4 element 2 groups design, and 43° field of view.

But you are right: Why not a remake of AP SPL's? The SPL's also deliver 43° field of view. But at increased, quite generous eye relief, which varies from 125% (4mm) to 140% (8-12mm) of the focal length.

BTW, the SPL optical components were manufactured under the management of Valery Deryuzhin by Aries in the Ukraine, an old business partner of Markus Ludes / APM Telescopes...

Stephan

suburbanskies
sage

#5296183 - 06/30/12 10:56 AM

Interesting question. Do you simply reintroduce a know design or do you try to introduce something new? Personally I'm waiting to see if the designer at Berliner Glas(?) has a truly new idea...I like to try new things

Mark

saemark30
Pooh-Bah

#5305525 - 07/06/12 02:36 PM

Can you simple copy someone elses design?
There are trade laws if not patents to jump over.

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
      #5417118 - 09/12/12 11:40 AM

Status?

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5417721 - 09/12/12 05:23 PM

Hi There, yes w ehave some news

1, the optical designer at Berliner Glas gave up on the drem eyepiece

2, we could do the already designed Ortho design

but there are news stopping us to go the way to make expensive orthos in germany.

The Multicoated Orthos from Japan coming back, also the wider field extra flat field eyepieces from japan coming back.

Next week we will know the prices, but we know already that orthos made in germany would cost 2 or 3 times more then those multicoated orthos made in Japan.

Right now there is under checking if we can name the optics maker of this multicoated orthos from Japan or not, but what I can tell you is that this maker is famous and everybody know its famous name.

This orthos coming back in middle of october 2012 , next week we will know the firm retail prices, which will be in any case below $ 200

also the Super Mono production 12,14,16 mm have been fully sold out now, so after delivery/shipping of this production run in some weeks, we start a small production run of the super monos 4 mm, 5mm and 6 mm, wait my announcement here

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
      #5418280 - 09/12/12 10:45 PM

Hi Markus. What f/l are the Japan orthos? Are these of any significant difference between the BGO (very nice coatings but sub-optimal design) or Circle T design (optimal volcano design) with better coatings? Also the new Baader Ortho designs will be releasesd later this year unless they are vaporware.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5418519 - 09/13/12 02:22 AM

Brandon, Bob Luffel at Alpine Astro advised me that Thomas Baader was in the final stages of checking the Chinese glass coming out in the new Baader orthos. They do not appear to be vaporware. They supposedly are going to be sold in sets of three with a barlow to make a complete system and will be priced in the $350 USD or less neighborhood for the system. It reportedly was designed to be able to have people without orthos to start off with a complete set right out of the gate. Bob

Edited by Bob S. (09/13/12 03:39 AM)

Ambiorix

Reged: 05/01/11

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Bob S.]
      #5418730 - 09/13/12 08:36 AM

That's great news indeed, 350 bucks for an ordanary ortho, with just a couple of small tiny lenses inside and with a very small eyerelief and very narrow f.o.v. and as a typical ortho, well-corrected for f10 or longer, in a period where even an f9 or so instrument is called long focus.....and also very cheap to produce too! I really wonder how much the profit margin is on these for APM?

I remember some odd 20 years or so ago a Lichtenknecker ortho came at more or less 30 Euro's because of the simple, yet, good design, when the refractors where "all" long focus instruments and when instruments shorter than f10 where called "richfield" telescopes, not to be used for planets:) Lichtenknecker advertised their 125mm f10!!! refractor as a short fl instrument, the perfect "comet catcher":):):)

Than came shorter refractors, more colour corrected, with exotic glass types (still the most sold apo today!) and shorter fl lengths, easier to mount, larger fields etc...

Then we had genious folks like uncle Al, who came to the conclusion that those simple, "cheap" ortho's did not do a very good job in these fine new short apo-refractors, so he invented the Nagler's, more eyerelief(a bit more at least) for a given fl length, much more field of view, much better corrected towards the fieldstop, in a word a perfect match for those short apo refractors, often used on a non-driven mount...
Only disadvantage, they did cost about 10 times the price of a simple Lichtenknecker ortho....which was by the way a very fine eyepiece with long fl scopes!

Now, 2012, 20 years or more later comes Markus Ludes,shouting eureka, with another ortho, like so many others, and just like their forefathers with small fields of views, only sharp in the centre (at least in shorter fl scopes, ....f9 is short!), very short eyerelief etc...etc....great indeed!

Only catch, this time his orthos (like the much too expensive, very good, but much too high prized Zeis orthos...but hey...you pay at least 70% for the name!) come at even a higher price than a Televue...say Type 6 Nagler!

Talking about the world upside down.

But if this is good for business, why the hell not. Sooner or later people, just like they did 20 or so years ago, will realize that those ortho's have too little eyerelief, too small fields, not enough corrected if used with an undriven mount on a short fl scope...etc...and they will sell them again and go shopping for something like Televue Nagler type 6's etc..

Let's only hope that then those Naglers will not cost 10 times the price of Ludes' ortho's, like they did 20 years ago, which would maen a Nagler would cost about $3500:)

Conclusion : A good ortho is welcome for people who have the correct scopes for them and know what they are doing, but NOT at these prices. After all, Ludes' APM does not yet have the Zeiss name nor reputation, to justify asking prices the same as Zeiss did. Wonna bet, that if the Zeiss ortho's would have been sold at the price they were really worth, that Ludes's orthos would now be presented at prices around half the ones he will sell them for, if not less, and he would still be making a profit!

At the prices these are presented right now it is almost the same as if he would say, APM have made a brand new achromat 100mm f 20 with perfect colour correction, and the prices will be around $4000, which is more or less the same as for our 100mm f8 apo's, since these will have more or less the same colour correction......see what I mean? Or it would be something like a car manufacturer advertising that he is proud to present his new 2012 model, which will have an amazing 100BHP for a 3000CC turbo-charged engine, with 165mm tires, no discbrakes, which will drink around 25l per 100km, but which will last for more than 300.000km's, which is something the newer cars with more HP etc.. will not be able to do, so the price of this car will be the same as any other "modern" one....Don't think many people would put their brass on the table for this? Perhaps if this car would cost 1/10th of the more up to date version, but not at these prices:):)

Off course this is my 2 cents, EVERY individual is totally free in thinking and buying what he wants, and shure these ortho's will be good ones, have no fear, but highly over-prices for what they are, in my opinion.

Off course under 200 is "better" but still far away from other ortho's made in the far east!

Edited by Ambiorix (09/13/12 08:42 AM)

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Ambiorix]
      #5418918 - 09/13/12 10:48 AM

Hi Ambiorix

no comment about your personal point of view on orthos , this everybody personals view and accepted.

Nut I have to comment your other words about prices . You talking here empty air , since you have never ever tried your self to organize a small eyepiece production with any western manufactur , otherwise you would see real prices they asking.

A cheap ortho made in China with fancy named coatings cost a few $ in worest case , but you forgot to add " you get what you pay for "

you may need to continue your complain , how can Brandon ask so much for here brandons, how can ask AP so much for here spl, how can pentax ask so much for here orthos , how could baader ask somuch for the japanese orthos...they all make a giant profit in your eyes, right ?

we dont make the orthos in germany , period. we going to sell the japense made orthos , the classic versions have been now discontinued a new multicoated version is coming out.We going to offer and sell them.

My eyepiece case has also orthos, monos, but also naglers , and ethos, the right eyepiece for the right scope for the right visual observation

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5418932 - 09/13/12 10:53 AM

Hi Ain Soph Aur

the new orthos will be 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7 mm, 9 mm, 12 mm and 18 mm

I have no design details, but I know the glas maker which is very famous even in USA

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Ambiorix]
      #5418969 - 09/13/12 11:16 AM

I think he meant $350 for a set of 3 orthos & barlow

BillP
Postmaster

#5419020 - 09/13/12 11:52 AM

Quote:

My eyepiece case has also orthos, monos, but also naglers , and ethos, the right eyepiece for the right scope for the right visual observation

It is always refreshing to hear the voice of experience

BillP
Postmaster

#5419025 - 09/13/12 11:55 AM

Quote:

Hi Ain Soph Aur

the new orthos will be 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7 mm, 9 mm, 12 mm and 18 mm

I have no design details, but I know the glas maker which is very famous even in USA

This is indeed excellent that we'll finally have a 4mm fully multicoated orthos again avaialble. I would also ask, when the timing is correct, to please offer a 25mm and 36mm one as well, the latter focal length being the best appropriate for a 27mm field stop please.

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: BillP]
      #5419089 - 09/13/12 12:29 PM

It looks like Tani Ortho is back.

I saw ads on Japanese site, saying that they will be back in stock in October
Very nice.

Tammy

Ava
sage

Reged: 11/30/11

Loc: Sweden
      #5419113 - 09/13/12 12:43 PM

Quote:

Hi There, yes w ehave some news

1, the optical designer at Berliner Glas gave up on the drem eyepiece

That's a shame! I was really really hoping for a cool, modern Konig adaption. It really could have ended up brig my dream eyepiece.

Quote:

2, we could do the already designed Ortho design

but there are news stopping us to go the way to make expensive orthos in germany.

The Multicoated Orthos from Japan coming back, also the wider field extra flat field eyepieces from japan coming back.

Going on the focal lengths the multicoated orthos sound like the BGOs (except there never was a 4mm, hmm?) but what are you referring to with the "wider field extra flat field eyepieces"?

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Ava]
      #5419156 - 09/13/12 01:04 PM

Quote:

Going on the focal lengths the multicoated orthos sound like the BGOs (except there never was a 4mm, hmm?) but what are you referring to with the "wider field extra flat field eyepieces"?

It is interesting to note that there is a PDF on the web that purports to be BGO specifications and it contains a 4mm as well as 25mm. Hmmm...

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Ava]
      #5419361 - 09/13/12 02:43 PM

Hi Anders

in the 25 mm focal length you have a fanatstic Tele Vue 24 mm widefield, also the Kowa 20x of the Highlander Bino is a fantastic eyepiece and Zeiss West has 25 mm microscope eyepieces of superb quality.
In the long focal length have a closer look to the Brandon 32 mm, some supercritical observers here in germany rate it as a stunning eyepiece, the best of the Brandon series.

there are really great choices out on the market

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5419437 - 09/13/12 03:39 PM

I believe you're talking about the Kasai-Trading website Tammy?

www.kasai-trading.jp

Looks like they found a new manufacturer. Happy days! I saw that too.

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
      #5419489 - 09/13/12 04:19 PM

Here is what I saw about Tani Optics' Ortho information on Japanese web site.

4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12.5, 18, 25mm. Back in stock in October (Sept 10 2012 update).

3 surface single-coated, eye lens inside multi-coated. It isn't fully multi-coated all element surfaces, it seems.

That's what it says but I am not sure this is what Markus is talking about

http://www.starcloud.jp/SHOP/tanior.html

Tammy

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
      #5419721 - 09/13/12 06:39 PM

For me the views in my Ethos, Delos, XWs, WO UWAN and LVW-my top of the heap six-bring to mind the image presented by a very good ortho. My T6s while very sharp with great contrast just don't have that clarity the other eyepieces have and their tones quite a bit warmer. As to the hopefully soon to come new orthos put me down as interested in a 9mm if the optics are high quality. I can hit quite a few lunar-planetary sweet spots of my WO ZS-110 using it in my vast collection of Powermates and barlows. The ZS is on a Voyager and the slomo should make for easy tracking even with a small FOV. My new 9 should also be a good eyepiece for solar system stuff with Lunt 60 and cats. A 9mm ortho's lens is decent sized and the ER works for me provided it has a volcano top. David

Edited by dscarpa (09/13/12 06:52 PM)

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

#5419817 - 09/13/12 07:34 PM

I wonder if these are the volcano tops. Barry at Kokasai Kohai (hope I spelled that right) told me that the owner of the company making the volcano tops was 83 years old and in bad health. He said he didn' know how long they would keep making them.

On the Kasai trading website they specifically talk about the HD Orthos (flat tops).

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5420405 - 09/14/12 04:59 AM

I was now allowed today to lift the secret, the new fully multicoated orthos are made by Masuyama's Optical Factory, first shipments arrive in october

HCR32
sage

#5420452 - 09/14/12 06:11 AM

Sounds great are they going to be limited numbers or supply will be available in small production now and into the future?

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
      #5420829 - 09/14/12 12:15 PM

I was hoping for a volcano top but could go for a flat top 9mm if the lens isn't deep set. Any idea as to price range yet? David

sixela
Postmaster

Reged: 12/23/04

Loc: Boechout, Belgium
      #5425404 - 09/17/12 01:06 PM

Quote:

3 surface single-coated, eye lens inside multi-coated. It isn't fully multi-coated all element surfaces, it seems.

That looks like the formula for the 'regular' Japanese volcano top orthos, not the Baader Genuine Ortho / UO HD ortho / Kasai Or-HC...at least the BGO definitely seemed to have all air-glass transitions multicoated, from the looks of a hastily disassembled 9mm one.

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: sixela]
      #5425562 - 09/17/12 02:27 PM

I agree sixela.

Heavens Above
sage

Reged: 01/25/09

Loc: Bristol, UK
      #5479919 - 10/20/12 05:29 AM

Hi Makus

Any news on those German made Orthos? When available and what focal lengths? A 20mm would be perfect.

Tim

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Heavens Above]
      #5480443 - 10/20/12 02:00 PM

Hi Tim

the Ortho project died. We running the Supermonos again and to my big surprise we getting way more orders, then I ever expected.
The Ortho project died because we wanted to make something with bigger FOV and higher eyerelief and the star up cost has been just crazy ( aover $ 30,000 for tooling), so w egave up.
Now the new MC coated Orthos coming from japan.

But I may will also start first time ever a run of 18 mm and 21 mm Supermono

Heavens Above
sage

Reged: 01/25/09

Loc: Bristol, UK
      #5481894 - 10/21/12 12:43 PM

Hi Marcus

A pair of 21mm Supermono's would be PERFECT for me, please please......

Can you tell me more about the Japanese Ortho's, price, focal length and when available?

Thanks for supplying these low volume quality products.

Tim

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13551

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics