Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: APM M.Ludes]
      #5012427 - 01/11/12 03:33 PM

Quote:

we also running a discussion in Germany about the new eyepieces and they brough up the Idea of a König II modell, which offers a wider field of around 55° and a higher eyerelief then the ortho.
The Konig is also a 4 element eyepiece and a cool idea, as i think.

Yes 4 elements, but your air-glass interfaces jumps to 6 instead of 4 with an ABBE. Given the almost zero light loss from the glass itself, if you are going to go to 6 air-glass interfaces then there are a host of 5 and more element designs that will stay with the 3 group concept of the Konig II, so it is a 4/3 design whereas the ABBE is a 4/2 design.

Thinking about production, if you are going to use a 3 group design, figure 2 of this partent shows a 3/3 design with good off-axis and good eye relief. Bertele also I believe has a 4/3 design, as do Shultz, Galoc, and Kalliscopic.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eastwd

Reged: 08/21/11

Loc: Nashville
      #5019015 - 01/15/12 02:31 PM

Marcus, I’m late to this thread, and I missed the thread you started back in mid-December where you invited people to answer the question, “what’s the market missing?” with regard to world class planetary eyepieces. I’m fairly new as far as CN membership and don’t post much, but I read the forums avidly, have been an amateur astronomer for about 35 years, and am geeked on planetary eyepieces. From your original post, it sounded like the ship had sailed and that your manufacturer’s going to give you a quote for 50 units of 10mm, 25mm, and 34mm Abbe orthos. But the König discussion makes me think there’s still some flexibility before you decide what to offer to see if enough interest is there for a production run. It also sounds like maybe you're not limited by design costs to copying a specific, discontinued eyepiece.

Now to my point: are you sure the best option is to offer another 10mm? The ZAO-II offering a couple of years ago included a 10mm eyepiece, so many of us already have that focal length covered. (I have a pair of 10mm ZAO-Is.) It seems that if you really want to fill a gap in the market and move some units, you’d do better to offer a world class ortho in a focal length that’s been “under-served” for a long time, like 7, 8 or 9mm. I’m still trying to put together a set of used .965 Pentax SMC orthos in the 7 and 9mm focal lengths for binoviewing, or a pair of 8mm AP SPLs – I’d snap up pairs in any of those focal lengths from your new offering in a heartbeat, and I’ll bet a lot of other folks with full sets of ZAOs would, too. But I just don’t need another 10mm (or 6mm) planetary eyepiece.

One final idea, in keeping with the notion that offering unique but useful focal lengths will expand your market and attract more buyers. What about making the initial offering in these three unique focal lengths: 8mm, 22mm, and 36mm? My needs are already covered in the 25mm focal length, but I’d jump at the chance to own a pair of 22 or 36mms. You could add an option for a high quality Abbe barlow at 1.5x – which would also be a unique accessory. Buyers who purchase just the three new focal lengths, plus the new 1.5x barlow and any high quality 2x barlow would have this range of focal lengths: 4mm, 5.3mm, 8mm, 11mm, 14.7mm, 18mm, 22mm, 24mm, 36mm. Very nice!

Larry

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Reged: 05/01/03

Loc: Germany
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: eastwd]
      #5020066 - 01/16/12 05:18 AM

Hi Larry

I agree with you, the 10,25,34 came up from the people who replied here and elsewhere, they mentioned this 3 focallength as the most welcome once

suburbanskies
sage

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New Jersey, USA
      #5020341 - 01/16/12 10:16 AM

Markus,

Later when you have price quotes, you may want to take a vote among your customers who will actually buy. What focal lengths will they want? As you know, the people who post on forums may ask for one thing but then disappear when it comes time to provide money!

Mark

telescopemullet
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/16/09

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: suburbanskies]
      #5021213 - 01/16/12 05:11 PM

I got the money and I want part of this for sure!!!!

poorman

Reged: 10/08/03

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: telescopemullet]
      #5021428 - 01/16/12 06:55 PM

Since I missed the other great planetary ep sets of the past several years, TMB Supermono, ZAOII, being absent from the hobby: I will be buying these.

Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/18/05

Loc: NorCal
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: poorman]
      #5021881 - 01/16/12 10:51 PM

I'm still hoping for a 5 and 8mm. I don't need anything longer than 10mm.

CarlDD
sage

Reged: 07/23/07

Loc: Serbia
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Alvin Huey]
      #5025849 - 01/18/12 10:44 PM

Hi Markus
I'd like to put my name down for a pair of the 34mm Orthos, how or where can I do that ?
Best Regards
Carl

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: CarlDD]
      #5026543 - 01/19/12 10:57 AM

here is fine, when prices knowns, I will post it here , then we move on with info for pre order

michael_m
sage

Reged: 11/16/10

Loc: Mount Vernon, Wa
      #5027863 - 01/20/12 12:44 AM

I am just getting back into it after many years. I missed out on the ZAO II's. I would go for the 10mm, then depending on the "expanded line", a couple of others.

Tiny
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/02/08

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: michael_m]
      #5029753 - 01/21/12 12:43 AM

Markus thanks so much for your efforts in trying to bring about another premium EP offering. If i may ask though i assume you're using Berliner Glas again? Any possability of tacking on a small order of Super Monocentrics with the orthos at a similar price point [namely in the 12-18mm focal length range] or do you think that would be redundant [performance wise] even if it were possible?

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
      #5029826 - 01/21/12 03:06 AM

That's good news, Markus.

Another potential Ortho purchaser here in Switzerland.
Time is overdue for new reference grade Ortho eyepieces. If really on par with those ZAO-II, I will be very happy to buy some pairs of the new TMB Orthos for my Baader Mk V binoviewer.

I will watch this thread with interest.

Stephan

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Tiny]
      #5030861 - 01/21/12 05:05 PM

Hi Tiny

same maker again, yes , smallest run super monos per focal length is 25 pc but at very high cost, so nobody will buy them.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5030867 - 01/21/12 05:07 PM

they still desiging and calculating, hope for some news this week.

In any case we realive the famous TMB 1.8 barlow, 50 pc, 30 pc are already pre sold, see my barlow add for that here

Levine
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
      #5032925 - 01/22/12 08:37 PM

I'm in, at least for a 34.
Wow.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5032953 - 01/22/12 09:00 PM

Markus:

I'd like to see 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 12mm, 16mm, 20mm, 26mm and 32mm. It'd be great if they had a polish spec better than that used for the ZAO IIs. I'd love the 1mm increment progression in shorter focal length units for double star and planetary use.

Regards,

Jim

Sirius76
Vendor-Dark Skies Apparel

Reged: 05/11/07

Loc: Chicago, Il
Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5033178 - 01/22/12 11:12 PM

I have to agree with Jim. Though Id probably buy any orthos you release Markus, I'd definitely purchase the shorter fl versions. 6 thru 12 would be my first choices not for planets and doubles but for galaxies and galaxy groups. I wouldn't hesitate with a few from that range!

Edited by Sirius76 (01/22/12 11:21 PM)

Larry Geary
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/06

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Sirius76]
      #5043651 - 01/29/12 02:49 AM

Mentioning a Konig in connection with Orthos reminds me of the old UO Professional series: 28mm Ortho, 16mm Konig, then 10.2mm, 6.8mm and 4mm Orthos. Maybe you should consider 2 or 3 Konigs mixed in with the Orthos, for example, 16mm, 11mm, 7mm Konigs. The idea of using YAG for a lens is also interesting, but what design would the eyepiece be? What characteristics would it have?

BTW, if at all possible, try to produce eyepieces with a flat field. At my age and with my lack of accommodation, field curvature really bothers me.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New Orthos from Germany new [Re: Larry Geary]
      #5043680 - 01/29/12 05:15 AM

Hi Larry

Flat Field means what ? A eyepiece can be designed flat field only with a special telescope modell, becauase each scope has a diffrent curvative. So if you design a eyepiece for 1 scope to be flat field, it will not be flat field with another scope

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
      #5059205 - 02/06/12 08:24 PM

I'm interested in the high-end konigs. 55 degrees sounds good, extra FOV is not needed if it's distorted. I like Clave Plossls and the extra FOV they provide over orthos, a modern 50-55 degree 4-element eyepiece manufactured like Zeiss orthos would be fantastic. 16mm would be an ideal focal length for me.

I would really like to see someone license the Astro-Physics SPL design. It does an excellent job of staying sharp to the edge of field and adding more eye relief compared to orthos, plossls, and monos. The 3-element Zeiss microscope "aspheric" ortho also seems like a superior design, would love to see more of these as well.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13553

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics