Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: Astronomics]
      #5187950 - 04/24/12 11:57 AM

Quote:

Well Oklahoma in the summer is not something I would want to invite most people. We were over 100 for around 50 straight days last year. October is great weather and really fits the best between all the other events IMO.

But PATS is September 22-23 this year and a month or less between the two would probably hurt you with the vendors. An indoor convention is not that big a deal for the weather, although mid winter with snow might not be that great. I would rather brave the heat. I would think that June would be the best time. A few months after NEAF and a few months before PATS.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
belgrade
sage

Reged: 10/05/07

Loc: Frisco, TX
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: EFT]
      #5188056 - 04/24/12 01:06 PM

I agree with EFT. But count me in for sure no matter when - as long as it's on Saturday or Sunday.

Tarzanrock
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/07/08

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5188058 - 04/24/12 01:07 PM

Mr. Thomas makes a very valid point well worth considering -- especially for those on the West Coast.

EFT

Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: Tarzanrock]
      #5188084 - 04/24/12 01:20 PM

Another good thing about June or July is that most kids are out of school so you might get more paricipation from non-local people who can bring the entire family. You can also take advantage of more people being able to plan to come during summer vacation season. We could use a lot more kids at these events. Too many of us old guys and not enough young blood. My 15 year old daughter is my convention assistant and I have to take her out of school to go to PATS and NEAF. She loves doing it but hates missing school.

AstronomicsAdministrator
Vendor if you must, AKA The Mighty Kong.

Reged: 06/07/04

Loc: Right Here
      #5188318 - 04/24/12 03:38 PM

A. The chance of getting it done this year is slim to none.
B. While I appreciate the input about PATS, knowing of other events in the Summer on the west coast, it doesn't really work for me to have it in the Summer. Also, indoor or not, if it is hot the chance of getting locals out is pretty slim. Going outside for even a few minutes results in discomfort during the summer here.
C. We would try to work a tie-in with Okie Tex star party which is in October as well.

okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #5188464 - 04/24/12 04:46 PM

Quote:

B. While I appreciate the input about PATS, knowing of other events in the Summer on the west coast, it doesn't really work for me to have it in the Summer. Also, indoor or not, if it is hot the chance of getting locals out is pretty slim. Going outside for even a few minutes results in discomfort during the summer here.
C. We would try to work a tie-in with Okie Tex star party which is in October as well.

I would come, regardless of the time of year. As for summer, well, locals like me are pretty acclimated to summer weather. I sure don't let it keep me from getting out. If you were to have it as a tie-in with Okie-Tex, maybe it would help get more vendors to Okie-Tex.

EFT

#5188531 - 04/24/12 05:19 PM

Quote:

A. Good planning would suggest that it would be better to wait a year than to rush it anyways.
B. It's already 105 where I am.
C. Since Okie-Tex covers two weekends it doesn't make a very good tie-in. You would most likely loose vendor to or take vendors from Okie-Tex. Plus it is right before PATS this year, September 8-16.

I would like to see there be a successful mid-country general astronomy show, but competing with the other two primary shows by scheduling too close will only hurt both shows. Even the big vendors are not going everywhere these days since going to a show is an expensive proposition however you do it. There will always be competing events going on, even some shows (e.g., AIC 10/26-10/28, MWAIC/ALCON 7/4-7/7, etc.) but it would be better to schedule a good time for 2013 than to have a potentially limited success in 2012. While I am only one vendor, if I have to choose, then my time and money will go to the established PATS where I already have two booths reserved rather than to a new show very close in time to PATS.

AstronomicsAdministrator

#5188582 - 04/24/12 06:01 PM

That being said, what time is a good time in 2013? The other shows don't have anything posted for next year, so I will just have to throw my hat in the ring and see what happens.

EFT

#5188671 - 04/24/12 06:50 PM

It will always be tough to find a date. PATS in September actually competes to some extent for vendors with IAC in October. RTMC is in May, OPT has it's thing in July. Both are "relatively" small. I would still lean towards June. January might be good if it wasn't that a lot of people aren't thinking about astronomy at that time of year (except for those of us in the south) and the WSP is in February. Tough call, but I think if you take your time and make the tremendous amount of effort it takes to pull this kind of thing off, June 2013 could be a good start.

AstronomicsAdministrator

#5188679 - 04/24/12 06:58 PM

I get the logic, but my heart and my schedule says it is an October date. If it shoots me in the foot, then so be it.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
      #5188731 - 04/24/12 07:32 PM

Mike, you should probably discuss it with potential vendors to get a feel. I think that if it is a show that will have a good amount of the big names represented, people will attend whether it is in June or October.

AstronomicsAdministrator

Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5188755 - 04/24/12 08:00 PM

Another thing to consider that Norman is a college town and we want to have the show when there are going to be plenty of attendees. Summer is not the busiest time around here.

cloudmagnet
sage

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: Georgetown, Texas
      #5188770 - 04/24/12 08:11 PM

October sounds just fine!

knightware
Vendor (Knightware)

Reged: 03/22/06

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: cloudmagnet]
      #5189405 - 04/25/12 08:45 AM

Mike,

I'd like to get on a list of interested vendors if you have one. Dates and costs would be very helpful once you begin to put it together. The facility looks quite nice!

cheapersleeper
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/22/10

Loc: Sachse TX
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: knightware]
      #5189702 - 04/25/12 11:44 AM

Other than club events, Texas seems a little short of Astro events. Considering that many North Texas astro peeps already drive to OK to observe, seems we might be willing to drive a bit further...

Regards,
Brad

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5189714 - 04/25/12 11:50 AM

I think you could count on half a dozen attendees from Ohio...

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5189841 - 04/25/12 01:12 PM

From a non-vendor view point October is a good time for this. Winter travel, once you get out of southern Arizona, can be iffy and cold. I don't mind cold if I'm skiing. Standing around doing nothing is a show stopper.

Humid summers are a no-brainer too, too dang hot and I'm not fond of humitidy or mosquitos.

My logic is probably faulty but working with Okie-Tex seems to be a great idea. Vendors could work both events one weekend at a time and get two shows without leaving the area. Maybe that is too simplistic.

But if you do it up right, attract lots of folks in a thousand mile radius, in due time the show should be large enough that you can not be ignored.

zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5189876 - 04/25/12 01:37 PM

Quote:

I think you could count on half a dozen attendees from Ohio...

Indeed. I would go.

AstronomicsAdministrator

Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: zjc26138]
      #5190147 - 04/25/12 03:56 PM

I was hoping to charge the public nothing. The facility gave me a great quote a few years ago and the city is willing to do about anything to stimulate visitor influx

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5190428 - 04/25/12 06:39 PM

This is a great idea! I would attend. I just can't afford to travel as far as New York. Is there enough hotel/motel room in Norman?
GeneT

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4643

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics