Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Brian RisleyModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/04/06

Loc: SW Florida
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5209122 - 05/06/12 05:04 PM

No, we need to get him an ethos air cannon, so he can shoot them to us!

(Now only if they cost as little as a hot dog at a sporting event! Oh wait, they do cost less don't they! )

Brian

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jason B
Proud father of 5!!

Reged: 06/21/04

Loc: Mid-Michigan
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: Brian Risley]
      #5209127 - 05/06/12 05:10 PM

Sounds fun Mike, but unfortunately that is during my son's football season so I couldn't make it this year. After a few years of NEAF, I feel bad for not being there!

GaryJCarter
sage

Reged: 06/06/09

Loc: Fairview, Texas
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: Jason B]
      #5232886 - 05/21/12 05:20 PM

This has been a long time coming. A great idea Mike! I look forward to seeing it come to fruition!

Unknownastron
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Sout...
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: GaryJCarter]
      #5248083 - 05/30/12 10:06 PM

I just checked and Sept. 15 2012 is the final day of Okie-Tex this year, so a number of 'local' stargazers would be there instead of your grand opening. I understand one has to set dates with all things considered and not trying to tell you how to run your grand opening, just sayin'.
BTW, this December will be the 30 year(!!!)anniversary of my purchase of a C-8 from you. Still have it, still love it.
Clear skies and clean glass
Mike

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: Astronomics]
      #5459543 - 10/07/12 04:33 PM

Quote:

We have talked about putting a one day NEAF like convention in Norman. I know there are plenty of people that can't make the trip to New York and would like to see what manufacturers have to offer as well as great speakers. I am just trying to find out the actual interest in this.

I would always shoot for an October date.

We have a facility here.

The airport is literally 18 minutes away. If you have a private plane of some sort there is a small local airport two minutes away. The facility is attached to a hotel and the whole thing is 1/2 a mile off I-35.

Any interest?

Now that the grand opening has come and gone, did the turnout there give you any indication of how a convention might go over in Norman? I realize it is probably pretty hard to have any conclusive idea, but is seemed to me that attendance was pretty good, given how crummy the weather was.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5459599 - 10/07/12 05:17 PM

I presume that, now that the NEAF people are going to put on a show in Tucson, starting this year, and there is already a west coast show in Pasadena (PATS), a show in Norman might be a bit too much in the way of shows?

The bicycle business went through a phase of having tons of regional shows, but eventually settled on one giant show in Las Vegas each year. Not only does that increase attendance by vendors, it also attracts people from more than just the US.

The astronomy industry should learn from that model:
--one giant show with nearly every vendor in the US & Canada represented, and maybe some international vendors (like Officina Stellare, etc.)
--a place with tons of flights into and out of each day.
--lots of local hotel space
--fairly inexpensive spaces in the show (no doubt due to attendance--over 900 exhibitors)
--new product introductions coinciding with the show.
--inexpensive entry for the public (it cost me more to see 30 vendors at PATS this year than 900 vendors at InterBike)
--lots of lectures and talks during and after the show hours
--lots of local activities outside of show hours.

Just a thought.

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5459639 - 10/07/12 05:49 PM

Would be fun and even doable from up here in MN.

maltydog

Reged: 09/13/12

Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: Mary B]
      #5461712 - 10/09/12 08:17 AM

for my own personal selfish reasons i would love to see a show in Normon since it is close enough i could drive up there in a couple hours. i thoroughly enjoyed the open house at astronomics; would be great to see a big show with lots of vendors (selling stuff). would give me a good reason to buy my next scope or some other un-needed accessory. you know how it is with a exhibit/show atmosphere.

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: Any interest in a Convention in Norman? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5462048 - 10/09/12 12:37 PM

I understand your point, Don. I spent several years as a road rep in the bicycle inductry and remember the travelling circus around the country.

The biggest difference between the bicycle industry and astronomy is scale. I had about 100 dealers in Virginia to visit and sell my bicycle goods. I don't know of a single astronomy shop here in the Commonwealth.

I for one, would not want to sacrifice NEAF for a single show in Las Vegas. It would be great to meet more west coast folks every year at such a venue, but with the amount of information available on the internet, I'm not sure I would spend the money to fly out to a big show every year unless I really had to touch something before I bought it.

You have a good idea. Let's see if our hobby grows enough to support it.

Thanks,

Ron

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4747

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics