Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NHRob
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: STARSTRUCTURE TELESCOPES new [Re: michael]
      #5358771 - 08/08/12 08:43 PM

Wow!
When will details be on the web site??

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
plyscope
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Perth, West Australia
Re: STARSTRUCTURE TELESCOPES new [Re: NHRob]
      #5358786 - 08/08/12 08:54 PM

website web page

michael
Vendor (Starstructure Telescopes)

Reged: 01/24/04

Loc: Trinity Florida
Re: STARSTRUCTURE TELESCOPES new [Re: Albert]
      #5358850 - 08/08/12 09:32 PM

Albert,
First, let me apologize for that first sentence, it was a joke. I should have included a LOL...

I respect what your saying , I really do, but I have to submit that your not familiar with the way the scope assembles. My problem with your math is that you are taking your equations and applying the movement directly to the UTA, this is simply not the case. As I stated, the majority of this differential between trusses will be absorbed in the attachment points of the trusses.

For example...on the upper attachment points we have two trusses that mount to a triangular plate to complete the connection to the UTA.

During fabrication, the trusses are bolted to the plate and then install on the scope. Once the upper plate is aligned correctly the bolts are tightened and the trusses are removed. Next I weld ONE of the trusses to the plate which holds the plate at the correct angle when installed on the scope. The other truss is mounted in the following order: Bolt / SS flat washer / triangle plate / nylon washer / truss / SS washer / locknut. The locknut is tightened to a point that allows the truss to collapsed for transport. In this attachment there is probably .003 to .005 amount of play. This would also hold true for the lower attachment points, at the mirror box, which are installed on the scope in a similar way.

So right here...before this differential is going to put LOAD (and lets be clear that the UTA and mirror box assemblies are very rigid pieces) on the UTA / mirror box, there is going to an allowable movement at these connection points that will have a minimal effect on UTA orientation.

I want to be clear, when the scope is assembled and NEUTRAL there is no noticeable movement, but before a length differential in trusses as a result of temperature change is going to actually TWIST the UTA assemble, (a result of direct LOAD) these points will give first.

I think the most important statement you made was that most (if any) will even notice on a visual instrument.

If this was an imaging scope well then your comments would definitely have merit.

One more point I would like to submit, is that the example we are giving here is on the extreme end.

Sincerely,
Mike Z.

Edited by michael (08/08/12 09:53 PM)

michael
Vendor (Starstructure Telescopes)

Reged: 01/24/04

Loc: Trinity Florida
Re: STARSTRUCTURE TELESCOPES new [Re: NHRob]
      #5358872 - 08/08/12 09:47 PM

Hi Rob,

I'm trying to hire someone to build me a pro site, so this may be a little while. I do have all the specs and pricing for all sizes from 8" to 30" ready to go. If anyone wants info on a specific size just drop me an e-mail. Please be patient with me as Im being hammered with e-mails. I may take a few days to get back with you.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/05

#5358887 - 08/08/12 10:09 PM

Quote:

Hi Rob,

I'm trying to hire someone to build me a pro site, so this may be a little while. I do have all the specs and pricing for all sizes from 8" to 30" ready to go. If anyone wants info on a specific size just drop me an e-mail. Please be patient with me as Im being hammered with e-mails. I may take a few days to get back with you.

Mike, As you know by now, there are some diehard scope owners from other brands that are just mesmerized by your new Horizon telescope. They told me this afternoon that they have been calling you and figuring out ways to get one of your new scopes into their arsenals. What a fun problem to have. Bob

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5360331 - 08/09/12 05:25 PM

I am glad to see that Starstructure is innovating, offering change and not resting on its laurels--like some Dob manufacturers.

UmaDog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/15/10

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Re: STARSTRUCTURE TELESCOPES new [Re: GeneT]
      #5360848 - 08/09/12 10:58 PM

Looks like a winner to me!

NHRob
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: STARSTRUCTURE TELESCOPES new [Re: UmaDog]
      #5361403 - 08/10/12 10:02 AM

Mike -
Do you do free samples ??

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: STARSTRUCTURE TELESCOPES new [Re: GeneT]
      #5362660 - 08/10/12 11:24 PM

Quote:

I am glad to see that Starstructure is innovating, offering change and not resting on its laurels--like some Dob manufacturers.

+1

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: STARSTRUCTURE TELESCOPES new [Re: turtle86]
      #5366683 - 08/13/12 03:25 PM

Congrats Michael - the more I look at this scope the better it gets! Wow! LOTS of advantages to this design... good luck!

Mike Harvey
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/01/04

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Re: STARSTRUCTURE TELESCOPES new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5367323 - 08/13/12 09:06 PM

I'd just like to embarrass Mike Z. a bit with a "testimonial" to his (1) commitment to SS owners, (2) continuing desire and efforts to improve his (already 'best on the market') designs and almost uncanny vision as to what might be possible with telescope design.

Mike just recently "upgraded" my seven year old 28" SS with the new transport system and adjustable (for imaging) UTA...gave it a fresh paint job and made it "like new" again. He didn't have to do that. But he WANTS his 'works of art' (my phrase, not his) to all be at their best.

Ordering a 28" SS "Horizon" was a no-brainer for me. I have no doubt it will, once again, raise the bar for large-scope quality.

Mike Harvey

FrankG

Reged: 07/13/04

Loc: Richmond, Va.
Re: STARSTRUCTURE TELESCOPES new [Re: Mike Harvey]
      #5367867 - 08/14/12 08:14 AM

Quote:

I'd just like to embarrass Mike Z. a bit with a "testimonial" to his (1) commitment to SS owners, (2) continuing desire and efforts to improve his (already 'best on the market') designs and almost uncanny vision as to what might be possible with telescope design.

Mike just recently "upgraded" my seven year old 28" SS with the new transport system and adjustable (for imaging) UTA...gave it a fresh paint job and made it "like new" again. He didn't have to do that. But he WANTS his 'works of art' (my phrase, not his) to all be at their best.

Ordering a 28" SS "Horizon" was a no-brainer for me. I have no doubt it will, once again, raise the bar for large-scope quality.

Mike Harvey

Mike, fresh paint? Nothing like that new telescope smell!

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: STARSTRUCTURE TELESCOPES new [Re: FrankG]
      #5440415 - 09/25/12 06:36 PM

The prototype looks cool. I am looking for a 16" dob solution that is easy to deal with. I am thinking some handles for picking it up and loading it into the car would be nice. Hope to see more details on web site soon.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4103

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics