Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
leartech

Reged: 11/14/10

Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: MRD]
      #5521095 - 11/15/12 12:06 PM

We need a Droid AND a PC Desktop version!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Benjamin B
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/21/04

Loc: Sweden
Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: leartech]
      #5522125 - 11/15/12 11:43 PM

Why not make an Android version first? There are more Android mobile phones than Iphones.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: Benjamin B]
      #6097395 - 09/23/13 08:47 PM

Martin,

I have had this app for a few months now and have been quite disappointed in it. The predictions are not just slightly off for my location: they are completely inaccurate. Just for example tonight Scope Nights shows rain at my location but the sky is 90% clear and only a few clouds are in the sky. Last week it called for thunderstorms for 7 days straight. We had one day of thunderstorms and it rained the next day. How is Scope Nights computing this weather report which doesn't even match up with the predictions from 5 other weather services?

obin

fetoma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/26/06

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: obin robinson]
      #6097662 - 09/23/13 11:24 PM

I am also quite disappointed at the inaccuracy of this app too!

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: fetoma]
      #6097685 - 09/23/13 11:43 PM

I have been very happy with the app......although not perfect, it seems to be pretty close for me.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: budman1961]
      #6101808 - 09/26/13 07:55 AM

Does anyone know what formula is being used to compute these reports? This morning it showed "fair" and it predicts rain tomorrow. The sky this morning was absolutely 100% clear. The weather radar is TOTALLY CLEAR and the weather report is bright, sunny, and clear at night.

What gives? This thing is about as accurate as flipping a coin. I want my money back!

obin

nevy
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/07/12

Loc: UK
      #6102418 - 09/26/13 01:55 PM

I think it's a very nice app, it's usually quite accurate for the UK , it is wrong sometimes but that's not the fault of the app because it gets it's information from the met office & although the met office is usually spot on ,sometimes the weather don't do what it's predicted to do , so occasionally the information the app gets is wrong , I use it all the time & I like it.

Gil V
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: nevy]
      #6103708 - 09/27/13 09:17 AM

Wanted to relay my experiences. It has been great here for be past week. Two nights ago, it looked like another great night. Television weather forecast says clear. I set up my Newt, even though the app says overcast.

I go out two hours after sunset, and it's completely overcast.

The next night, the app says clear until 11:00 PM, and then clouds. I set up again, and observe from 9-10PM. I come back in, watch the end of the football game, and go back outside at about midnight. Completely overcast.

I think the app is a keeper. It seems to do some things very well, but like the weather, it's unpredictable! There have been occasions where it is dead on - even when broadcast weather forecasts indicate otherwise.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: Gil V]
      #6117303 - 10/04/13 01:37 PM

I understand the weather can be variable. What I wonder is why the cleardarksky.com website is so much more accurate than the Scope nights app? I am in League City but Scope Nights looks like it is pulling the weather report for somewhere else. I have checked the configuration a dozen times and it is simply not generating an accurate forecast. I literally can say that flipping a coin for the weather report is about as accurate as Scope Nights. I might as well say "heads it is cloudy and tails it is clear" and I will be forecasting with the same precision as Scope Nights.

obin

Mike Harvey
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/01/04

Loc: Orlando, FL.
      #6121164 - 10/06/13 07:23 PM

BILLIONS of dollars are spent on government and private weather forecasting and reporting and it's still not much more accurate than using a dart board!
So I guess we shouldn't be too hard on ClearSky Clocks/ScopeNights, et. al.
BUT- it IS frustrating to be under totally clear and dark skies (as I was this weekend) and see Scope Nights showing "POOR" conditions and even lightning and rain!
I get much more reliable info from a Weather Channel app on my iPhone that shows near-real-time satellite images. Amazingly - even THAT is not 100% dependable.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: Mike Harvey]
      #6121314 - 10/06/13 09:05 PM

It can be frustrating trying to plan things on the basis of weather forecasts that prove to be wrong, but it really does seem that forecasts on the whole are much better than they used to be. Case in point: yesterday morning the Clear Sky Clock for Chiefland predicted some clouds for early Saturday evening, but then getting clear for the rest of the night. My friends and I knew we were taking a chance but we decided to trust the forecast and go for it, even though it was a long drive. We're sure glad that we did because the forecast was spot on, with the clouds going away pretty much as predicted. Last night was pretty darn good. Thank you Clear Sky Clock. :-)

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6122105 - 10/07/13 10:41 AM

Quote:

I understand the weather can be variable. What I wonder is why the cleardarksky.com website is so much more accurate than the Scope nights app? I am in League City but Scope Nights looks like it is pulling the weather report for somewhere else. I have checked the configuration a dozen times and it is simply not generating an accurate forecast. I literally can say that flipping a coin for the weather report is about as accurate as Scope Nights. I might as well say "heads it is cloudy and tails it is clear" and I will be forecasting with the same precision as Scope Nights.

obin

That hasn't been my experience with the app. If anything, Scope Nights consistently equals or betters CSC. HOWEVER...as you observe, weather is a complex thing and a small change in location can make a huge difference.

Bottom line for me? If I'd listened to the CSC at the Deep South Regional Star Gaze Spring Scrimmage back in May, I'd have packed up and gone home Saturday morning and would have missed the only good night of the star party.

Scope Nights nailed it.

Edited by rmollise (10/07/13 10:51 AM)

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: rmollise]
      #6122496 - 10/07/13 01:38 PM

Seeing how it's accurate for some and inaccurate for others I think the solution would be a trial version that expires after a week. That way you would be able to see if it's accurate for your locality. That way you won't end up with a totally useless app like I did.

obin

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
      #6123463 - 10/07/13 07:39 PM

Really?.....Al this wringing of hands over $2.99?

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #6124648 - 10/08/13 11:19 AM

I have it, and for the nominal price of $2.99 I like it.

rmollise
Postmaster

#6125718 - 10/08/13 07:28 PM

Quote:

rmollise
Postmaster

#6125720 - 10/08/13 07:29 PM

Quote:

Seeing how it's accurate for some and inaccurate for others I think the solution would be a trial version that expires after a week. That way you would be able to see if it's accurate for your locality. That way you won't end up with a totally useless app like I did.

obin

You need a trial version of a three dollar program?!

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

#6126714 - 10/09/13 10:38 AM

Quote:

That hasn't been my experience with the app. If anything, Scope Nights consistently equals or betters CSC.

I can believe that. See my CSC in my sig? Yeah, it's completely overcast right now and has been since 10:00 last night. If I had an iPhone (another six months with this Android phone) I would gladly pay the $3 for this app.

fetoma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/26/06

Loc: Southern New Jersey
      #6127455 - 10/09/13 05:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, if you guys, and any others, are not worried about wasting $2.99, then I'd like to ask you all to please make a donation to one of the charities that supports our wounded military folks.

esd726
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/30/04

Loc: Rochester, IN
Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: fetoma]
      #6127965 - 10/09/13 09:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, if you guys, and any others, are not worried about wasting $2.99, then I'd like to ask you all to please make a donation to one of the charities that supports our wounded military folks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3897

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics