Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #5495156 - 10/29/12 06:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh well, thanks for checking Carol! I would be honored for you to use a HALO in your observatory simply because your mega-thread has inspired so many members to embrace setting circles.

David, thank you! I haven't given up; still tossing some ideas around; as I would love to have a Halo residing in my observatory.

Well, just let me know if you come up with a workable idea.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

David, I surely will; and will keep following the threads, to get more ideas!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #5496457 - 10/30/12 04:30 PM

I would make it minus the levelers, I have them on the transporter. Use rubber feet in the original location as the factory ground board. I see it being an inch or so larger in radius to accommodate the azimuth ring. Would be simple to make that way. many observe on level areas like concrete or from observatories or use a transporter with levelers like mine has.

The feet just sit inboard of the aluminum rails, I mounted rubber bumpers on top to center the base on the aluminum. I will go out and try to grab a couple pics.

Bumper that centers the base

How the foot sits against the rail

Front foot sits between these 2 bolts

Edited by Mary B (10/30/12 05:33 PM)

ErnieM
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/13/04

Loc: Phoenix,AZ
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: Mary B]
      #5498016 - 10/31/12 04:10 PM

I will measure my old Hardin 8" base to see if it will fit.Is it really important to also purchase the digital angle gauge and if so I need a link as to which and where to purchase this device.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Reged: 08/15/11

Loc: Alabama
      #5498054 - 10/31/12 04:33 PM

Quote:

I would make it minus the levelers, I have them on the transporter. Use rubber feet in the original location as the factory ground board. I see it being an inch or so larger in radius to accommodate the azimuth ring. Would be simple to make that way. many observe on level areas like concrete or from observatories or use a transporter with levelers like mine has.

The feet just sit inboard of the aluminum rails, I mounted rubber bumpers on top to center the base on the aluminum. I will go out and try to grab a couple pics.

Bumper that centers the base

Thanks for all the detailed photos Mary! They definitely help me understand what you want/need. I'm not sure if or when we will make a HALO like you want, but I'll definitely keep your ideas in mind, and I'll let you know if we do go that route.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: ErnieM]
      #5498071 - 10/31/12 04:44 PM

Quote:

I will measure my old Hardin 8" base to see if it will fit.

Sounds good Ernie! I'll look forward to seeing if your Hardin is a good fit.

Quote:

Is it really important to also purchase the digital angle gauge and if so I need a link as to which and where to purchase this device.

You definitely need SOME kind of gauge to allow you to set your altitude. Here's the Wixey: Wixey Digital Angle Gauge

Some people use this one instead: Sears Digital Torpedo

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
      #5499145 - 11/01/12 10:18 AM

From Rocklers if you have one nearby (also mailorder). It's the one I bought (for woodworking).

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22143&site=RO...

rboeAdministrator

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: rboe]
      #5499149 - 11/01/12 10:22 AM

Amazon has the same one a bit cheaper.

Woodline had two models for $40.
http://www.woodline.com/p-2196-digital-bevel-box.aspx

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
      #5499642 - 11/01/12 05:10 PM

I would purchase plain, seamless, laminated degree circles with large numbers (for my old eyes), or even printed on thin gauge material like aluminum which can be contact cemented to the ground board (or adhesive backed) for DIY projects if they were made available.

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5499722 - 11/01/12 06:49 PM

Good Idea Gastrol, I could make a new larger ground board for my scope myself if I have the degree circles.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

#5499748 - 11/01/12 07:05 PM

Quote:

Good Idea Gastrol, I could make a new larger ground board for my scope myself if I have the degree circles.

I personally would prefer the ground board to be no larger (except for protrusions for feet levelers) than the rocker base board and make a cutout instead to keep the base from being unnecessarily large.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5500571 - 11/02/12 09:03 AM

Quote:

I would purchase plain, seamless, laminated degree circles with large numbers (for my old eyes), or even printed on thin gauge material like aluminum which can be contact cemented to the ground board (or adhesive backed) for DIY projects if they were made available.

Quote:

Thanks for the ideas Gastrol and Mary! That is definitely something we have considered and may offer in the future.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5500599 - 11/02/12 09:31 AM

Quote:

I personally would prefer the ground board to be no larger (except for protrusions for feet levelers) than the rocker base board and make a cutout instead to keep the base from being unnecessarily large.

That's the tough part about marketing any product - satisfying all the different needs and preferences out there.

If we do produce a groundboard-replacement style HALO, and we make it LARGER in diameter than the rocker base board (like the current HALO), then obviously the Dob base would be more difficult to get through doorways and into your vehicle (which isn't a problem for the current HALO because it isn't permanently attached to the Dob base). For some people I think that a permanently larger-diameter base would be a serious deal-breaker, while it probably wouldn't be a problem at all for others.

But if we produce a groundboard-replacement style HALO that has the SAME diameter as the rocker base board, then obviously customers would have to cut into their rocker boards to be able to see the setting circle that would otherwise be hidden under the the rocker base board, and I think that would be a serious deal-breaker for a lot of people. I guess we could offer both, but that would mean two SKUs for each size Dob (above and beyond the current detachable HALOs, which already require two SKUs for each GSO Dob because of the different base diameters). And I suspect that the sales for each individual SKU would be pretty small, so I'm not sure if that would be a workable plan.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

rboeAdministrator

#5500629 - 11/02/12 09:57 AM

What if the scale was placed on the outside edge (vertically) of the base like a ribbon; not unlike what you see on GEMs?

It could even get real cute where this ribbon is a vertical rib that is transparent and the needle is attached to the moveable base and swings behind it. Add a little red light to back light the needle and its' shadow appears on the scale.

Does not solve the SKU proliferation problem but hey, we're brain storming here.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5500672 - 11/02/12 10:32 AM

Quote:

What if the scale was placed on the outside edge (vertically) of the base like a ribbon; not unlike what you see on GEMs?

It could even get real cute where this ribbon is a vertical rib that is transparent and the needle is attached to the moveable base and swings behind it. Add a little red light to back light the needle and its' shadow appears on the scale.

Does not solve the SKU proliferation problem but hey, we're brain storming here.

I LOVE brainstorming! And that sounds like a VERY cool idea!

But if its a vertical transparent rib that the pointer would travel behind, then it would pretty much have to be made of plastic (which probably means an expensive mold for each separate Dob base). And the groundboards on Dob bases tend to take a pretty good beating (bumping into doorways, getting kicked, etc) so I'm not sure how well a thin, transparent piece of plastic would hold up as the "bumper" on your groundboard (instead of the standard rubber bumper which can take the beatings).

But I can visualize what you're talking about Ron and it would certainly be a very slick, high-tech-looking design! Makes me want one!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

#5500782 - 11/02/12 11:40 AM

Quote:

I did exactly that on my very first setting circle mod. Very easy to do and you can place the pointer anywhere. I applied electrical tape along the edge of the groundboard and drew degree marks all around. I think I even posted photos earlier this year on Carol's setting circle thread.
It actually worked quite well but I did not like squatting each time to see the degree marks. So that lasted just a couple of sessions out in the field before I moved on to another method.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

#5500808 - 11/02/12 11:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the ideas Gastrol and Mary! That is definitely something we have considered and may offer in the future.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

In fact, on second thought, instead of stocking several different pre-cut diameters perhaps you can produce say a single 36" diameter sheet with a dozen or so setting circles in successive smaller diameters printed on it. The DIY'er can then cut out whatever size needed for the project and slap it right on the groundboard.

rboeAdministrator

#5500818 - 11/02/12 12:06 PM

If it was wide enough, and very well back lit that would help the visual problem a bit but I can see where that would get annoying over time (especially for tall guys like me).

Getting a bit more complicated (as brain storming sessions are want to do ) but a digit setting circle with an LCD readout that could be placed where the use would like it. But nixie lights would be uber cool.

rboeAdministrator

#5500830 - 11/02/12 12:11 PM

In fact, a niche market would be a base and bearing kit with DSC with a nixie tube read out for both attitudes. I've been too lazy and way behind on other projects to pursue that myself (bucket list though) but would buy one in a heart beat.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5500861 - 11/02/12 12:30 PM

Quote:

It actually worked quite well but I did not like squatting each time to see the degree marks. So that lasted just a couple of sessions out in the field

This would be a disadvantage for many! It's much more convenient to simply look down at the base, to see the degree circle, rather than having to squat down (with me, would be more like laying down, with the base so close to the ground), in order to see it.

The degree circle on the top base, with the pointer on the lower base, works very well. That's why I'm still not ruling out a Halo for my 16"; as it's the same idea, only much more updated. I'm even considering having someone cut out the inner circle that holds the base, & just having the Halo encircle the base, not supporting the dob. This way it could be moved to incorporate "North", at will. This is just one of the ideas I'm considering, since I really don't need the leveling feet for the dob, when it's permanently in place, already level.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5500875 - 11/02/12 12:36 PM

Quote:

The degree circle on the top base, with the pointer on the lower base, works very well.

That requires the degree circle to be printed counter-clockwise which I'm sure works equally as well.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13558

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics