Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: Ira]
      #5837994 - 05/03/13 10:24 AM

Ira...the first post mentions this..An important note:
Apple forced us to support the iPhone 4. Because it has a camera which is very bad at low light conditions, every measurement at or above SQM 20 is unreliable.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nop
Vendor (iPushto)

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Netherlands, Valkenburg
Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: budman1961]
      #5840129 - 05/04/13 01:32 PM

Indeed, the 4S and 5 are the only reliable models. We are investigating the iPod Touch 5, iPad 3, and mini. But it will take a lot of time. We did 5000(!) measurements to create the algorithm for the 4S and 5. The iPod and iPad's camera's are different and not as good as the 4S & 5.

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: Nop]
      #5840912 - 05/04/13 11:19 PM

Just tried the free version for now. Very neat. Apparently my sky is 89 times as bright as a natural clear night sky!

Going to try from my dark site next week.

RobbW
sage

Reged: 02/09/10

Loc: Elgin, IL
Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: corpusse]
      #5847684 - 05/08/13 12:34 PM

I was doing a Google search for SQMs because I wanted to get one to help with my GLOBE at Night measurements and submissions. Obviously, the most prominent SQM (and the only one that I can find so far) is from Unihedron. Well, you have to order it online and wait for shipping, which I normally don't mind. However, I wanted to use an SQM tonight. So, I started searching for alternative night sky meters and found that there was a brand new iOS app for that. I immediately went to the App Store to purchase and download the pro version. Much to my dismay and chagrin, it is not compatible with my brand new iPod Touch 5. Wish I would have found this thread first so that I wouldn't have gotten so excited right away.

I will wait patiently (or not!) for this app to be developed for the new iPod Touch 5 or iPad 3. I will definitely purchase it as soon as it is available. In the meantime, it is back to searching for an SQM available locally so I can satisfy my immediate impulse to buy one!

Nop
Vendor (iPushto)

Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: RobbW]
      #5855368 - 05/12/13 12:17 PM

@RobbW
It takes a lot of time to do research for devices. For iPhone 4S and 5 we performed about 5000 (!) measurements. Right now we are testing for iPad 3, mini and iPod. But it will take some time because we need dark and clear skies to perform accurate measurements.

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

#5867245 - 05/17/13 01:49 PM

Can this technology be used as a photometer? For example, to compare the light transmission of various binoculars?

Nop
Vendor (iPushto)

Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: Gordon Rayner]
      #5871863 - 05/19/13 04:15 PM

Yes, that should be possible.. The camera's are very sensitive and a lot of corrections and calibrations can be done with the software.

Bernard Minster

Reged: 08/07/13

Loc: Encinitas, California
Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6013215 - 08/08/13 09:30 AM

Well, I trusted the web site claim that this app works even on an iPhone 4 (albeit with poor results dues to the low quality camera), and dutifully paid for the "pro" app. Neither the "lite" app nor the "pro" app can be installed on an iPhone 4, citing "incompatibility" and lack of a "front" camera. I tried through iTunes and via direct download, and got the same negative result. I suppose this means I lost my money unless I buy an iPhone 5. BTW I got the same results with iPad (but that was expected). I live in Encinitas, a town north of San Diego, 35 miles from Palomar and Laguna observatories both. Encinitas has neighborhoods with "dark skies" ordinances, and others with no restrictions. Now they plan a Sports park with 90 foot lights for night-time games -- and these are surely not sodium lights :-) . I am hoping to trigger a little bit of crowd sourcing of sky quality, perhaps involving neighbors and even some of the high school kids who plan to play soccer or baseball at night. This App sounds to me like the perfect tool, especially if an Android version is planned. However, I first wanted to get familiar with it and am not about to upgrade to an iPhone 5 for a single App until I can gauge whether non scientists can learn to make careful measurements with it. Perhaps an earlier release (1,1? or 1.2?) was running on an iPhone 4, even with erratic results, but I cannot find a way to download anything else but version 1.3.
Norbert: could you perhaps let me know?
Thanks in advance.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #6013795 - 08/08/13 01:59 PM

Quote:

Yes, that should be possible.. The camera's are very sensitive and a lot of corrections and calibrations can be done with the software.

Interesting. How about measuring relative eyepiece transmission?

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: Bernard Minster]
      #6015934 - 08/09/13 02:06 PM

I don't know much about this app, but my iPhone 4 has front and back cameras.

If I buy it, I'll report what happens. Not 'til next week though.

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: EddWen]
      #6018508 - 08/11/13 02:55 AM

I have an iPhone 4 and have installed the app without difficulty. I haven't tried it under a really dark sky, but under typical local conditions the reports it offers seem consistent with what I observe.

Nop
Vendor (iPushto)

Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: Bernard Minster]
      #6026640 - 08/15/13 08:20 AM

Quote:

Well, I trusted the web site claim that this app works even on an iPhone 4 (albeit with poor results dues to the low quality camera), and dutifully paid for the "pro" app. Neither the "lite" app nor the "pro" app can be installed on an iPhone 4, citing "incompatibility" and lack of a "front" camera. I

Are you sure you have an iPhone 4 and not an iPod or an iPhone 3 or 3S??
The app should install on every device with a front facing camera and telephony function (=Iphone 4 and up). I require a front facing camera and telephony to force support for iPhone 4 and up only. The reason behind it is to not allow iPhone 3 users to use the app. The iPhone 3 camera is terrible and absolutely not suitable for taking night pictures.
If you encounter problems, please let me know directly by sending a mail to dsm@ddq.nl I'll be glad to help.

johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

#6046373 - 08/26/13 03:40 AM

Norbert,

Are the results from the "Lite" version available online (for instance on the map or some other location) if they are "submitted"? I ask this because the fall Globe at Night campaign will be starting shortly and I am wondering whether school kids could use the Lite version to submit results (the actual SQM number) to Globe at Night. I noticed that the map gives reading, date, and time data but does not give GPS information. With Globe at Night there may be a bunch of readings in a concentrated area. It may be difficult to figure out which reading belongs to any particular person although I guess if you zoom in far enough you could figure it out.

Thanks,

JohnD

Nop
Vendor (iPushto)

Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: johnpd]
      #6048232 - 08/27/13 06:06 AM

Hi John,
Yes, the Lite measurements are on the map too. In the lite version the result is shown as 'times x a natural', but the submitted results are converted to SQM value.
Regards
Norbert

Nop
Vendor (iPushto)

#6103532 - 09/27/13 05:54 AM

Dear Dark Sky Meter users.
The iPhone 5S will get experimental support in the next release. Because of the fact that the phone is not available in my country, i am not able to test it thouroughly (for each device, about 5000 measurements are made!). The 5C has the same sensor as the 5, so that one will work!

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

Loc: Upstate NY
      #6105049 - 09/27/13 10:29 PM

I'm looking forward to the update.

petemumbower
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: West Michigan
Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: Joe Bergeron]
      #6146935 - 10/19/13 03:48 PM

I purchased the Pro version of the app and naturally, it will be cloudy for the next week here. So I was wondering I close the SQM reading with the app compares to the Unihedron units?

PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: petemumbower]
      #6147257 - 10/19/13 06:48 PM

Quote:

I purchased the Pro version of the app and naturally, it will be cloudy for the next week here. So I was wondering I close the SQM reading with the app compares to the Unihedron units?

I see a .1 or less variation. So close that I don't bother with my Unihedron, as I always have my phone with me. Great app!!!!

ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: PGW Steve]
      #6150002 - 10/21/13 02:40 PM

Does it work with the iPhone 5s yet?

Nop
Vendor (iPushto)

Re: Dark Sky Meter for iPhone available now! new [Re: ahopp]
      #6160730 - 10/27/13 01:07 PM

@ahopp, we still don't have iPhone 5S in the Netherlands, so once i get one (hopefully within this month) i can start testing it (=checking out the chip). It will absolutely qualify, because it should have a very sensitive camera.
But it will take some time..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7311

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics