Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS AND FOCAL REDUCERS new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5884679 - 05/25/13 09:27 PM

Ok, so would you say basically it would be like:

$350 for the advanced and $200 for the basic (assuming here $100 for the LN300 camera) - with you sourcing the camera and selling to the end user a fully modded product?

Lastly, I had asked a question about the RS485 connector -- although I appreciate the little handy remote, realistically I really prefer full computer control. And I just want to make sure that the camera would come with appropriate cable to connect to USB. Lastly, a minor point, but I think you need to throw in the BNC to composite converter as most people will only have composite cables, or at least supply a BNC to composite video cable.

Obviously you are very much at the beginning of the process so there are many loose ends to tie up, but I sense it could be very promising...

Al

I started with the composite video cameras just to place my company on the map . I would be very unhappy if I stopped at this level. I am working on the HD cam but it would be just speculating and wishful thinking to announce a release date right now.
You're correct about the pricing, as the Lntech cams with insured fast shipping are just barely under $100 . I tried the free shipping but it doesn't carry insurance and it takes a random amount of time up to 40 days , not worth the $25 that would be saved.

The remote has a wire terminal block for the 2 RS485 wires that come from the computer . Included but not pictured is the choice of USB to RS485 dongle OR RS232 to RS485 dongle that you have to insert into your computer . Wires are not included due to the varying length and installation requirements. Basically the camera is always remote controlled by the handpad and the handpad gets its commands either from your keypresses OR from the computer RS485 connection .

For the premodified cameras, I could offer a complete package with the modified camera, remote, RS485 dongle, power adapter, twin video plus power cable , BNC to RCA adapter , 1.25" to C-mount nosepiece .

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS AND FOCAL REDUCERS new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5884700 - 05/25/13 09:49 PM

Matt-

My 2c is to offer the complete package. Make it complete and as close to 'plug & play' as possible. You will gain much more in terms of potential customer interest. Offering the mod-service only limits you only to existing Sammy/Lntech users and sort of CN afficionados who regularly follow the banter on the Video forum. If you instead offer a complete package that is ready to go, I believe you will be casting your net much wider and allowing for more potential customers who will not be intimidated by any looming DIY aspects. Hence, I strongly suggest you offer the complete package, if it carries a slight premium price point, so be it.

Cheers,
Al

P.S. I am likely customer if you go down that route.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS AND FOCAL REDUCERS new [Re: ASTERON]
      #5884864 - 05/25/13 11:38 PM

Quote:

Hi Matt,

Thanks for trying to develop such innovative products for the astro community. I appreciate your intentions and spirit in this.
I have long wanted to enter the live video astronomy field but I was deterred by the price barrier (for a high quality product like the Malincam etc.).

However, that said, allow me to provide a few comments to help you and the entire astrocommunity turn this into a success story:

1) the first (at least for me) big problem is that anyone who is interested in one of your cameras must buy one and send it to you for modding and shipping back.
For anyone outside the US, this is a big no-no. If I have to buy a camera and have it shipped to me from the US (or China)to Israel, pay for the shipping, pay taxes and customs and VAT on it and then send it to you for modding and pay again shipping from US to Israel, pay again taxes, customs and VAT all over again. The whole concept sounds insane to me.

2) Even if someone will agree to go through the ordeal, do you guarantee that the modding (or at least the IR filter removal ) will be successful without destroying the CCD and voiding the warranty? (If not, there will be a third cycle of shipping back under warranty, taxes customs and VAT again..... You get what I mean). If you are confident in your modding sucess rate, why not sell entire package including a modded tested camera + your Electronics directly to the customer ?

3) To me it would appear that it makes much more sense to Buy an already moded and tested system (including the price of the Camera) Pay the Total cost for the entire package and get the whole thing in a working tested condition while paying shipping and customs only once.

4) I recognize the fact that changing this will force you to buy your own stock of cameras which for a small bussiness may not be very easy. However, You don't have to Buy hundreds of Cameras to proceed (10 cameras will be a start) and if demand skyrockets you can just regard this as a good bussiness practice to have a stock available to you at your own planning and timing.

5) While I am very interested in buying one of your cameras (Preferably a TEC cooled one), I will only do so If I can buy the entire Package including a modified guaranteed camera + controller + Focal reducer from you directly.
I don't mind paying in advance and waiting as long as needed for you to buy and modd the camera, but I will not go through the ordeal of shipping stuff back and forth unnecessarily and paying Taxes, customs and VAT twice.

6) I know you may be hesitant to pile up a stock of cameras but this is the only way it may work for me and for many other amateurs residing outside the US.

I also have a question : where do you source the F/1.8 reducers ?, I dont mean to steal your commercial secrets, but I need to know if such reducers will have acceptable optical quality otherwise what you gain in Camera performance may be lost due to inadequate optics.
I think a F/1.8 focal reducer of High quality is not trivial to make, so I think a few words about the optical specs and general source for such optics (no specific manufacturer name is needed but it would help to know were in the world the reducer is made).
And last but not least, as the proverb says a picture here will be worth a thousand words.
Some pictures taken with the cameras and reducer (with Full resolution) at your website may bring many customers sitting on the fence to a buying decision.
I wish you great success in the new venture ( I really like your technical solution for reducing the noise )

If you ever intend to sell a ready made package I will be one of your first customers.

Send me a PM if this ever becomes possible

Makes perfect sense to get more business sales. Just make customer pay 50% up front and remaining 50% before shipping.

mattflastro

Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS AND FOCAL REDUCERS new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5884979 - 05/26/13 12:59 AM

Quote:

Matt-

My 2c is to offer the complete package. Make it complete and as close to 'plug & play' as possible. You will gain much more in terms of potential customer interest.

Many thanks to everybody who replied here and offered advice .
You guys convinced me that a complete turn key package is needed.
It's actually funny that when I began thinking about making cameras I envisioned exactly a complete camera turn key package.
But I got carried away with the details of engineering the bits and pieces and remained stuck in this engineering/tinkering mode .
The requests I got here for a complete finished product with no DYI and having all the cables, parts , adapters included , were a good wake up call .
A turn key package is easier actually, making identical batches of the same product at a time is much easier and more efficient than dealing with the variables of individual cameras of various models and ages from various customers coming in at random times .

ASTERON
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: ISRAEL
Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS AND FOCAL REDUCERS new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5885105 - 05/26/13 04:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Matt-

My 2c is to offer the complete package. Make it complete and as close to 'plug & play' as possible. You will gain much more in terms of potential customer interest.

Many thanks to everybody who replied here and offered advice .
You guys convinced me that a complete turn key package is needed.
It's actually funny that when I began thinking about making cameras I envisioned exactly a complete camera turn key package.
But I got carried away with the details of engineering the bits and pieces and remained stuck in this engineering/tinkering mode .
The requests I got here for a complete finished product with no DYI and having all the cables, parts , adapters included , were a good wake up call .
A turn key package is easier actually, making identical batches of the same product at a time is much easier and more efficient than dealing with the variables of individual cameras of various models and ages from various customers coming in at random times .

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the flexibility and for listening to what we have to say.
I have another question, are the cameras you will be offering video output only ?
If I read you correctly, the output from the camera will be a video output that will be fed to a Video monitor supplied by the customer.
So the computer connection is just for controlling the camera operation and there is no bidirectional connection between the camera and the computer that will be able to display the video output on the computer (or Laptop) which is controlling the camera operation ?
In such a case, the customer will have to have some kind of video display device or monitor to display the captured integrated frames, or alternatively, some video capture card or device installed on the computer and capable of capturing the video signal from the camera and displaying it on the computer/laptop screen ?

As I am not familiar with the output from the LN 300 or other cameras which you may be offereing , please let us know what configurations will work with the modded camera/controller that you will be offering, and what type (if any) of additional equipment will be needed in order to make a complete, working system live astro-video system capable of displaying the video output.
Many Thanks

Edited by ASTERON (05/26/13 08:07 AM)

A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

#5885167 - 05/26/13 06:42 AM

Hi Asteron,

You will need a capture card. These are very inexpensive USB 2,0 devices. On amazon you can buy one for as little as $25...

However, with the remote or rear camera buttons you can also just use a small LCD or old TV to display the camera output without the need for a laptop.

Al

ASTERON
Carpal Tunnel

Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS AND FOCAL REDUCERS *DELETED* new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5885273 - 05/26/13 09:43 AM

Post deleted by ASTERON

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5885347 - 05/26/13 10:39 AM

Your questions are common to virtually all astronomy oriented video cameras ... and there's a ton of good info already in the various threads in the Video and Electronically Assisted forum. It would probably be more appropriate to open a new discussion there rather than taking Matt's new vendor announcement thread down a rabbit hole.

mattflastro

#5885539 - 05/26/13 12:44 PM

Quote:

I have another question, are the cameras you will be offering video output only ?
If I read you correctly, the output from the camera will be a video output that will be fed to a Video monitor supplied by the customer.
So the computer connection is just for controlling the camera operation and there is no bidirectional connection between the camera and the computer that will be able to display the video output on the computer (or Laptop) which is controlling the camera operation ?
In such a case, the customer will have to have some kind of video display device or monitor to display the captured integrated frames, or alternatively, some video capture card or device installed on the computer and capable of capturing the video signal from the camera and displaying it on the computer/laptop screen ?

As I am not familiar with the output from the LN 300 or other cameras which you may be offereing , please let us know what configurations will work with the modded camera/controller that you will be offering, and what type (if any) of additional equipment will be needed in order to make a complete, working system live astro-video system capable of displaying the video output.
Many Thanks

The Ln300 or Ln320 modifications have composite video output on a BNC connector . This can be connected directly to any TV , monitor or video recording or capture device that has a composite video in .
In essence the RS485 handbox is used for control , either by hand or from PC , and the video path is independent of the control.
This allows maximum flexibility and simplicity in use. If you want a simple setup with no PC, you just connect the camera to your monitor and use the handbox remote .
If you want to capture the video on your PC , enhance it live with VirtualDub like the Mallincam people do , you may also do that .

The TEC Cooled Cam has a more complex handbox which includes several video output connections ( composite video , s-video , VGA and HDMI up to 1080p ) . The camera has only one cable , from handbox to camera. This carries control, power and video in a single CAT5 cable . More details will be posted soon on the website.
Thanks,

mattflastro

Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS - NOW COMPLETE SETUPS new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5885566 - 05/26/13 12:59 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

I updated the website http://www.astro-video.com to reflect availability of complete , turn-key setups of the NO AMP-GLOW Low Power Camera and the NO AMP-GLOW Advanced Camera .
Both setups ship complete with :
- modified camera ,
- handbox remote,
- camera to remote cable,
- RS485 dongle for your computer,
- 1.25" C-mount nosepiece adapter
- C-mount 5mm spacer ring
- twin power plus video cable
- 12V power adapter
- user manual
- 1 year warranty
I will post this as a new thread to reflect the new availabilities.

Edited by mattflastro (05/26/13 01:05 PM)

mattflastro

#5888986 - 05/28/13 01:34 PM

UPDATE:
I added a Trade-in option for owners of Astro-Video Systems cameras , which allows used cams to be traded in for up to 70% of new price .
I also added a REFURBISHED option for purchasing the traded-in cams after they have undergone a full refurbishment and testing to bring them back to as new specifications . The refurbished units will be sold for not more than 80% of new price and will carry a full one year warranty the same as new units.

A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

#5889384 - 05/28/13 05:17 PM

Matt-

I realize you are likely swamped... But it would be interesting if you could snap a capture of a large object like M51 with the four current offerings you have -

so...

1. Low Power
2. Advanced
3. Low power w/ F1.8x
4. Advanced w/ F1.8x

Given that you are in Florida, it would be good to see the impact of the cooling mod on the cameras using the max integration in each picture (17s).

I know its asking a lot, so no rush but I think it would help many of us make a decision on possibly purchasing your cameras and deciding among the options...

Thanks
Al

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS - NOW COMPLETE SETUPS new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5889498 - 05/28/13 06:26 PM

Al,

I asked for images at the beginning of the thread.......I wonder why it's taking so long?

mattflastro

Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS - NOW COMPLETE SETUPS new [Re: budman1961]
      #5889829 - 05/28/13 09:52 PM

Quote:

Al,

I asked for images at the beginning of the thread.......I wonder why it's taking so long?

There's no doubt a conspiracy going on .
That, or just have some courtesy and ask back AFTER you check the weather in Florida . Plenty of weather websites .
I understand you and your friends don't like me due to our earlier many arguments regarding your favorite vendor .
I hope you won't cross the fine line you're treading into more negative territory.

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      #5890157 - 05/29/13 02:32 AM

Matt,
This is turning out to be very interesting! You're proceeding at a pretty good clip in your development cycle. Responsiveness to feedback and suggestions is an encouraging sign. If I were more local I would offer to undertake testing.

I wish you every success!

ASTERON
Carpal Tunnel

Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS - NOW COMPLETE SETUPS new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5890400 - 05/29/13 09:46 AM

Could everyone here relax a little bit ?
Give Matt a break.
Did Anyone here ever try to build up a company from scratch while ordering parts, doing R&D, building a new website, dealing with IP problems, and at the same time trying to respond to everyone here with a less then one day reaction time ?
Everybody is Demanding (?) photos and optical designs ?
What the H***K ? I understand the excitement but not the demands !
He is just human (one Human, at that).
I personally take this posting as a teaser to give all of us a preview of a very interesting, dogma breaking, venture.
While being very very interested in the upcoming products and ideas, I don't feel I have a right to demand anything.
If it takes more time, then it takes more time.
In the end we will all see what the results are ( or are not, if you wish to be negative about it). So have patience my dear fellows.

Someone here is trying to do things that nobody else will do or cares about doing. IMHO we should give Matt all the slack in the world just to encourage this budding thing which may benefit us all in the end.

As for now, all I wish to do presently is sit quietly and let the guy work without any distractions and demands. I trust the second he will have something to post here he will do so.
So let us all wish Matt great success. I, for one, know (and publicly said) I am interested and I will patiently wait until he will have more data or anounces he is ready to roll on with finished products (with proven specs).

Rome wasn't built in one day

Edited by ASTERON (05/29/13 09:54 AM)

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS - NOW COMPLETE SETUPS new [Re: ASTERON]
      #5890872 - 05/29/13 03:24 PM

Matt,

Just wanted to let you know that I passed on your website to a few friends from our astronomy club. I hope you get some business.

I wish you the best of luck!

mattflastro

Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS - NOW COMPLETE SETUPS new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #5890996 - 05/29/13 04:46 PM

I wanted to say thank you to everybody who helped with suggestions, ideas, moral support and spreading the word .

nighty
sage

Reged: 12/31/06

Loc: 75w39n
      #5891832 - 05/30/13 06:04 AM

I am going to send Matt a SCB-2000 for the low power mod. He was quick to respond to my emails and I look forward to doing business with him. Plus I had the camera sitting waiting for me to work on it. (I bought two).

Terry

mattflastro

Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS - NOW COMPLETE SETUPS new [Re: nighty]
      #5894051 - 05/31/13 11:06 AM

Just added to website the RS485 camera control accessories for both the Advanced System and the Low-Power System :

Low-Power Cam System

Advanced Cam System

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2714

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics