Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS - NOW COMPLETE SETUPS new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5895133 - 05/31/13 09:54 PM

Hey Matt!
Congrats, and good luck with the new venture!

I may have to come by sometime and see what you have going on!
Where in Brevard are you?(I am in Palm Bay/West Melbourne)

btw, FWIW, offering "Pre-Modified Cameras" has been one of my best services..
People like having the option of ordering everything, at one time, from one person..especially people from an international location..
I have shipped to dozens of countries all over the world, and never had an issue (knock on wood!).

Obviously modifications is a major part of business too, but pre-modified is a great product/service that is very well received, IMHO. I am willing to bet you will see a lot of business in both services/products! And I am very glad and excited to see you offer these services and products!

I think you have your head on straight, and will give this market some much needed attention!

Cheers,
Brent

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS - NOW COMPLETE SETUPS new [Re: nofxrx]
      #5895270 - 05/31/13 11:25 PM

Quote:

Hey Matt!
Congrats, and good luck with the new venture!

I may have to come by sometime and see what you have going on!
Where in Brevard are you?(I am in Palm Bay/West Melbourne)

btw, FWIW, offering "Pre-Modified Cameras" has been one of my best services..
People like having the option of ordering everything, at one time, from one person..especially people from an international location..
I have shipped to dozens of countries all over the world, and never had an issue (knock on wood!).

Obviously modifications is a major part of business too, but pre-modified is a great product/service that is very well received, IMHO. I am willing to bet you will see a lot of business in both services/products! And I am very glad and excited to see you offer these services and products!

I think you have your head on straight, and will give this market some much needed attention!

Cheers,
Brent

Hi Brent,
Actually I got the idea with these video cams seeing what you do with the DSLR's . I'd like to meet you too , maybe some of the Peltier parts and subassemblies could be done/made/designed/ordered jointly

nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS - NOW COMPLETE SETUPS new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5896689 - 06/01/13 08:05 PM

Great idea!
And would be more cost effective..

Feel free to hit me up any time..
321-720-8222
DSLR_HyperCams@yahoo.com

Sorry, didnt mean to derail your thread
Back to your regularly scheduled program

Again, good luck with the new venture!

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS AND FOCAL REDUCERS new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5910814 - 06/09/13 03:11 AM

Quote:

- I do not want to become yet another reseller for some Chinese products. That's why I want to offer my modification services, much like the DSLR guys are doing (Gary Honis, Brent , etc ).
The electronic boards I designed are all made locally (bare PCB made locally and SMD components stuffed locally ). Parts for these boards are bought thru US based distributors , AFAIK .

Thanks for the info, frankly with most everything, I really don't care for the country of origin - more so the tech stuff - it's the reality of today's world, and it has worked out okay in pooling together the best available resources (imho).

Just to clarify again, as far as I can tell, Gary Honis and the dSLR guys are in a way "yet another reseller" - when they 'buy' premade-dSLR (made in China, the guys don't make the camera), modify them, then sell them (okay, I have it a little backwards there, they don't buy the cameras, owners wanting the mod send their cameras in to be modded by them - but you get the point ). In fact they are even open about the mods they make and post step-by-step instructions for those who might want to consider doing it themselves.

At any rate, just one last clarification again - you current services for camera mods are for existing cameras that you don't manufacture, however the upcoming "Peltier Cooled 960H Resolution ExviewHad II Video Camera Mod" is a completely new camera designed and manufactured by Astro-Video Systems? (the 'Mod' in the title leads me to believe that it's a mod of an existing camera already in the market, and not a exclusive design/build).

Thanks much again for providing the sorely needed services, and all the best in your endeavors!

mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
Re: NEW VIDEO ASTRO CAMERAS AND FOCAL REDUCERS new [Re: core]
      #5911636 - 06/09/13 04:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

- I do not want to become yet another reseller for some Chinese products. That's why I want to offer my modification services, much like the DSLR guys are doing (Gary Honis, Brent , etc ).
The electronic boards I designed are all made locally (bare PCB made locally and SMD components stuffed locally ). Parts for these boards are bought thru US based distributors , AFAIK .

Thanks for the info, frankly with most everything, I really don't care for the country of origin - more so the tech stuff - it's the reality of today's world, and it has worked out okay in pooling together the best available resources (imho).

Just to clarify again, as far as I can tell, Gary Honis and the dSLR guys are in a way "yet another reseller" - when they 'buy' premade-dSLR (made in China, the guys don't make the camera), modify them, then sell them (okay, I have it a little backwards there, they don't buy the cameras, owners wanting the mod send their cameras in to be modded by them - but you get the point ). In fact they are even open about the mods they make and post step-by-step instructions for those who might want to consider doing it themselves.

At any rate, just one last clarification again - you current services for camera mods are for existing cameras that you don't manufacture, however the upcoming "Peltier Cooled 960H Resolution ExviewHad II Video Camera Mod" is a completely new camera designed and manufactured by Astro-Video Systems? (the 'Mod' in the title leads me to believe that it's a mod of an existing camera already in the market, and not a exclusive design/build).

Thanks much again for providing the sorely needed services, and all the best in your endeavors!

You are absolutely correct, in today's world nobody makes everything from scratch. I definitely am not going to the beach and load some sand then go home, melt it into silicon wafers, then produce CCD's and DSP's , PCB's and aluminum extrusions. Even the development tools for the software are already made by the processor manufacurers , there are reference designs for the cameras serving as starting points, there are Peltier manufacturers that allow customisation of their product even for very low volume production , there are enclosure manufacturers who would again customize the enclosures based on client drawings ,etc . Then there are some subassemblies that one could never make and be cost effective, such as ready made cables , some power supplies , flash memory programmers etc. What I am doing is of course what everybody else is, sourcing parts and subassemblies from various sources when that fits my design goals the best and integrating them with proprietary software and hardware. The result is a new product that no other vendor has for sale . The TEC camera is not based on any complete camera sold by any other vendor or maker . It has in it parts and subassemblies coming from avrious vendors but it's the same as a Ford or a Porsche having both Michelin tires , that doesn't make them Michelin cars, or having an Edelbrock intake manifold doesn't make your car an Edelbrock .

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2943

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics