Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Another OpticsPlanet heads up
      #6183711 - 11/08/13 09:43 PM

Due to another CN'er having recent trouble with OpticsPlanet, thought I'd share my own experience of late.

On Oct 30 I ordered the Ares 6 Dobsonian telescope from OpticsPlanet. Sounds like a great deal. Too good to be true? 5 days later it shipped even though their online inventory showed 7 on hand. Whatever, I was not in a hurry. However, they charged my credit card on Oct 31 and didn't ship until Nov 4 - that is not OK in my book.

The base unit arrived today but not the OTA. That happens, too; one of two packages arrive. Ok, so maybe Monday? We'll see. FedEx ground tracking showed it was delivered. But what about package 2?

In the meantime, you should see the package that did arrive. It looks like a gorilla beat it with an ugly stick. It had already been opened and taped closed - there is more tape on the package than cardboard. So what did they ship me? I don't know yet, I'm not doing anything until the OTA arrives: if it arrives.

I'm willing to give a vendor the benefit of the doubt if they deserve it. I will never purchase from OpticsPlanet again due to charging my card several days before shipping. If you choose to, caveat emptor.

More as things develop.

Edited by WOBentley (11/10/13 10:16 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #6183722 - 11/08/13 09:53 PM

Seems like shipping people are mad lately. One of my eyepieces came and the box was beat up pretty good. My wife said she heard a loud thud when it got dropped off by the mail person. I guess they must know it's something expensive in the box. Luckily Pentax does an outstanding job packing their eyepieces and it was just fine.

So far I have had good luck with Orion, Astronomics (our sponsor), Adorama (packing wasn't spectacular), Optcorp, eyepiecesetc.com (Don's site).

Edited by WOBentley (11/10/13 10:15 PM)

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up *DELETED* new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #6183725 - 11/08/13 09:57 PM

Post deleted by WOBentley

Edited by WOBentley (11/10/13 10:18 PM)

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Another OpticsMart heads up *DELETED* new [Re: Locoman]
      #6183793 - 11/08/13 10:48 PM

Post deleted by WOBentley

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Reged: 08/15/11

Loc: Alabama
Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up *DELETED* new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #6183796 - 11/08/13 10:50 PM

Post deleted by DavidOpticsmart

Edited by WOBentley (11/10/13 10:31 PM)

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #6184639 - 11/09/13 12:40 PM

Oh my, I am VERY sorry. I meant Optics Planet. Darn it!

Edited by WOBentley (11/10/13 10:37 PM)

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up *DELETED* new [Re: herrointment]
      #6184869 - 11/09/13 03:04 PM

Post deleted by DavidOpticsmart

Edited by WOBentley (11/10/13 10:40 PM)

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #6184891 - 11/09/13 03:13 PM

Apertura dobs rock, thanks for your great support we read about here all the time , David!

Edited by WOBentley (11/10/13 10:41 PM)

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: lamplight]
      #6185215 - 11/09/13 06:22 PM

Thanks Matt!

Edited by WOBentley (11/10/13 10:42 PM)

tnakazon
sage

Reged: 06/26/10

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6185375 - 11/09/13 08:24 PM

Quote:

On Oct 30 I ordered the Ares 6 Dobsonian telescope from OpticsPlanet. Sounds like a great deal. Too good to be true? 5 days later it shipped even though their online inventory showed 7 on hand. Whatever, I was not in a hurry. However, they charged my credit card on Oct 31 and didn't ship until Nov 4 - that is not OK in my book.

The base unit arrived today but not the OTA. That happens, too; one of two packages arrive. Ok, so maybe Monday? We'll see. FedEx ground tracking showed it was delivered. But what about package 2?

In the meantime, you should see the package that did arrive. It looks like a gorilla beat it with an ugly stick. It had already been opened and taped closed - there is more tape on the package than cardboard. So what did they ship me? I don't know yet, I'm not doing anything until the OTA arrives: if it arrives.

I'm willing to give a vendor the benefit of the doubt if they deserve it. I will never purchase from OpticsPlanet again due to charging my card several days before shipping. If you choose to, caveat emptor.

More as things develop.

Ordered mine on November 2nd, and only the rocker box unit arrived today (November 9th), with the shipment looking much the worse for wear. On the box there are/were two orange stickers - one is mostly torn off. They said "Multi-Volume Set Please Do Not Separate". It looked like someone opened the box and closed it up again. The original packing slip pouch on the box was opened and the slip plus a couple of advertisement cards were put in another plastic pouch with ziplock on it. Was worried when the 2nd box with the OTA didn't show up. Hope it shows up soon...

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: tnakazon]
      #6185387 - 11/09/13 08:35 PM

Quote:

Ordered mine on November 2nd, and only the rocker box unit arrived today (November 9th), with the shipment looking much the worse for wear. On the box there are/were two orange stickers - one is mostly torn off. They said "Multi-Volume Set Please Do Not Separate". It looked like someone opened the box and closed it up again. The original packing slip pouch on the box was opened and the slip plus a couple of advertisement cards were put in another plastic pouch with ziplock on it. Was worried when the 2nd box with the OTA didn't show up. Hope it shows up soon...

Bummer. Well, at least they're consistent.

mamamia

Reged: 10/11/13

#6185432 - 11/09/13 09:01 PM

IMHO they are too big to care about customers, have antiquated supply chain management system. My $1.9K is still yet to be credited, even after 3-4 days they got their shipment back.

Edited by WOBentley (11/10/13 10:49 PM)

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: mamamia]
      #6185480 - 11/09/13 09:26 PM

Tnakazon : I had a 3 box delivery get mixed up too. I got 2/3 of my new scope Friday, gotta wait till Monday for the rest. it was a Purely fedex snafu in this case.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

#6185508 - 11/09/13 09:46 PM

Matt, I think it's a combination of things regarding multi-package shipments and I don't think it's a mistake. I think it has to do with the aggressively priced shipping being offered to vendors by FedEx. They make it cheap by allowing for how the local FedEx units want to load the truck. If #2 of 2 doesn't fit, it doesn't go. Their tracking shows it's been delivered, but they don't say if all the packages were delivered.

I'm not sure this is a good way to do business. But what do I know. This is a whole new world. There is No Country for Old Men. Like me.

tnakazon
sage

#6185570 - 11/09/13 10:41 PM

Matt and Phil,

As long as there's an address sticker on the box with the OTA, then no worries - I'm sure I'll get it eventually. The sticker(s) that said "Multi-Volume Set, Please Do Not Separate" got me worried that the address sticker was only on the box that I got today (Dob base).

BTW, I ordered the Bushnell Ares 5 from Optics Planet back in 2011, pleased with that scope (and the delivery).

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
      #6189236 - 11/11/13 07:06 PM

This thread has been edited both to remove a reference to the incorrect vendor and to eliminate comments that either no longer made sense after initial editing. I would also like to mention that using symbols to allow the use of unacceptable language is not allowed.
Thanks for your cooperation

sslcm56

Reged: 07/20/12

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: WOBentley]
      #6189297 - 11/11/13 07:38 PM

Being a FedEx driver I have a couple of tings to say...1st and foremost call 1-800 gofedex ad file a claim right now!!
If I go to a shipper to make a pickup and two packages have the same tracking number on the one doesn't go. 9 out of 10 times it is the shipper trying to get free shipping. Not all are like this...some just print out the same label sent by email more then once to save time. The extras still don't go. Watch something about high speed conveyer systems. How do you think 100's of 1000's of packages get sorted in a single night. If you put a healthy and strong person in one end they would be WAY more then dead when they came out the other. NOW.....when I'm loading my truck and a box appears damaged it goes to QA is opened and inspected before it goes on my truck. I'm NOT getting blamed for it. The same thing goes for duplicate tracking labels if I'm standing in front of your house. One goes back till the next day. Either way call the shipper then the 800 number NOW! The longer you wait the less your chances of getting a proper settlement.

Steve

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: sslcm56]
      #6189327 - 11/11/13 07:55 PM

Steve, thank you for posting that.

Mucho needed around here.

tnakazon
sage

Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: sslcm56]
      #6190563 - 11/12/13 12:11 PM

Quote:

Being a FedEx driver I have a couple of tings to say...1st and foremost call 1-800 gofedex ad file a claim right now!!
If I go to a shipper to make a pickup and two packages have the same tracking number on the one doesn't go. 9 out of 10 times it is the shipper trying to get free shipping. Not all are like this...some just print out the same label sent by email more then once to save time. The extras still don't go. Watch something about high speed conveyer systems. How do you think 100's of 1000's of packages get sorted in a single night. If you put a healthy and strong person in one end they would be WAY more then dead when they came out the other. NOW.....when I'm loading my truck and a box appears damaged it goes to QA is opened and inspected before it goes on my truck. I'm NOT getting blamed for it. The same thing goes for duplicate tracking labels if I'm standing in front of your house. One goes back till the next day. Either way call the shipper then the 800 number NOW! The longer you wait the less your chances of getting a proper settlement.

Steve

Steve - I called the number but all I got was a voice message saying they delivered my order (only received 1 out of 2 boxes however) - couldn't reach a live person. The online Fedex travel history says the total pieces of shipment was only 1. So I called Optics Planet and they said they would get someone from logistics to help track it down for me. I went to the Fedex claims online, but the only option they had was for damaged packages, not a missing part (box) of a shipment.

Thanks again for your advice/info!

sslcm56

Reged: 07/20/12

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
      #6191617 - 11/12/13 09:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Steve

Steve - I called the number but all I got was a voice message saying they delivered my order (only received 1 out of 2 boxes however) - couldn't reach a live person. The online Fedex travel history says the total pieces of shipment was only 1. So I called Optics Planet and they said they would get someone from logistics to help track it down for me. I went to the Fedex claims online, but the only option they had was for damaged packages, not a missing part (box) of a shipment.

Thanks again for your advice/info!

Man I'm sorry that you are having trouble with the 800 number. My only advise there is to NOT push any buttons and see if someone comes online. I have never filed a claim but I know that people do. When a delivery is disputed as a driver I have to go by there and help to find it. It is mostly just for show because it is almost always found before I get there. It's just my opinion and certainly not FedEx's that you are doing the right thing by getting the shipper involved.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3115

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics