Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: sslcm56]
      #6191657 - 11/12/13 09:33 PM

Since the dob base arrived last Friday, as of this evening the OTA has not been delivered so I will be making some calls tomorrow. I think waiting this long is long enough.

Considering two of us are experiencing the exact same thing, something stinks...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tnakazon
sage

Reged: 06/26/10

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6196762 - 11/15/13 03:57 PM

Re: the FedEx 800 number, after responding to two sets of automated questions - type of problem, order delivery - I did get a live person, who confirmed that their records only show one piece (the rocker box base) received from Optics Planet for FedEx to ship. So I contacted OP again and they said they are still checking with the people at the warehouse who made the shipment. Looks like they only sent out the 1 piece - the stickers on the box (saying it was 1 of 2 items and that it was a part of a multi-shipment set) was probably from an earlier shipment that used the same box, according the Fedex person. So it looks to be an OP error and not FedEx.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: tnakazon]
      #6197997 - 11/16/13 11:39 AM

That's my take as well. I'm in the same boat as of yesterday, OP sent the issue to "Logistics." Honestly, I don't think it will be their fault, either. I think the problem is the pick list printed from their system is wrong. Why else would both of us get only the one box? The shipping guys just pull stuff off the shelf according to the pick list.

My guess? Getting the complete scope at our homes will end up being a 3-4 week adventure.

tnakazon
sage

Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #6198552 - 11/16/13 05:33 PM

I called OP Tuesday, and then called them on Friday, but no word yet from their logistics group on the whereabouts of the 2nd shipment (the OTA).

Not good - it doesn't seem like Optics Planet carries the Bushnell Ares 6 anymore, either through their website or Amazon.com. So if worse comes to worse, we won't be getting the scope. I had a feeling that getting this scope was too good to be true...

It first became available from OP beginning around fall of 2010 for $219.95 - by the end of fall 2011, it was out of stock. It began to sell like hotcakes once the word got out about this scope on CN and other astro forums.

ngc2289
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/05

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.
      #6199251 - 11/17/13 12:49 AM

I was just on OP's website, and it says the Bushnell Ares 6 has been discontinued by the manufacture.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: ngc2289]
      #6199885 - 11/17/13 12:49 PM

The Ares 6 is just a re-branded Sky-Watcher. I bet someone found a few hiding away in the corner of a warehouse.

Well, at least we have the base to the scope! We're half way there! lol

sslcm56

Reged: 07/20/12

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
      #6208034 - 11/21/13 05:39 PM

Ya'll have a great attitude about all this. You know that if all else fails you can call the bank and file a claim. At the very least you are not happy with your purchase. Most cards have a provision for things like that. Ether way I hope it all works out for you.

Steve

tnakazon
sage

#6208148 - 11/21/13 06:36 PM

Thanks, OP said they would contact me if they had any news about the missing OTA, but haven't heard from them since I called last week. I should call them again.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #6209127 - 11/22/13 10:38 AM

Okay guys, its late November...follow up???

tnakazon
sage

Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: t.r.]
      #6210602 - 11/23/13 01:26 AM

I hope that a FedEx man will show up at my door this weekend with the 2nd box containing the OTA, but I don't think that's gonna happen. Need to call OP again, see what the status is on the box that was never shipped.

Alvan Clark
sage

Reged: 03/13/10

#6216766 - 11/26/13 09:42 AM

They moved recently and that apparently screwed up a lot of their inventory. Not making excuses just trying to explain any screw ups in the last couple months. This type of thing has happened to a lot of people buying there. Guessing all the screw ups will cost them some money.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: Alvan Clark]
      #6217124 - 11/26/13 12:36 PM

I received an email from the logistics group. That was a week ago. No news, no OTA.

Yesterday I replied and told them this was taking too long and that I was going to return the base for a full refund. Going to follow up on the phone.

Optics Planet is a joke. Here's a list of their other "stores"

http://www.opticsplanet.com/oursites.html

Buyer beware.

tnakazon
sage

#6218131 - 11/26/13 09:11 PM

I need to contact them over the phone to get a full refund.

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
      #6218528 - 11/27/13 01:22 AM

I dealt with them one time, which was the purchase of my first scope (Omni XLT 102). I put in the order, they charged my card immediately, and then... silence. For 4-5 days I checked my order only to see "preparing for shipment" or something of the sort. After a little over a week, my order had finally shipped and I was feeling a little better about it. The tripod arrived first from UPS and I ended up getting the OTA the following day from FedEx. The whole process was pretty sketchy, and I made a mental note to never shop with them again.

I did e-mail support though and they said the reason shipping takes so long is because they don't have many of their product on hand. When an order comes through, they have to put in an order with the manufacturer. From there they wait for it to arrive, then they ship it from their warehouse to us.

Hope it ends well for you both, not a fun situation to be in, that's for sure.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another OpticsPlanet heads up new [Re: StrangeDejavu]
      #6295964 - 01/06/14 01:11 PM

The saga continues. Their customer service finally agreed that there was something wrong at their end, that the reason I never received part two of the shipment was because, "We no longer sell this model." Ok. So I returned it several weeks ago and heard nothing except for a notice that they had received the item and that it would take 10 days to refund the purchase price for the telescope they don't sell anymore.

15 days went by, no refund. So I contacted them again on Friday and have no heard a peep.

Optics Planet SUCKS like no other company I've ever done business with. I can't believe that in this day and age, it could take more than 60 days to resolve something like this. It's amazing to me that they're still in business.

tnakazon
sage

#6296891 - 01/06/14 08:51 PM

I just dropped off Box #1 (the Dob base) at the local shipping center a couple of days ago, using the FedEx return label they sent me.

tnakazon
sage

#6315095 - 01/15/14 06:27 PM

Just called them and they received my returned box (Dobsonian base). Will notify me via email when they have processed my refund. Soon coming to closure on this.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2678

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics