Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade LX

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | >> (show all)
Happy Birthday drexelpoint
sage

Reged: 10/19/04

Loc: Midcoast Maine, USA
Re: Show off your LX200 setup new [Re: Posaunist]
      #1128573 - 09/02/06 07:32 PM

Thanks Mark. One other lab is missing from the photo. They're quite a bunch! The scope is on a scope buggy which rolls and then has screw down feet to level the scope if the deck shifts. You can see what our lawn looks like here - were west of Rockland Maine in Appleton so rolling across the grass is out of the question. It works very well but we'll have to wait for winter to make the final assessment. John

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Posaunist

Reged: 09/17/03

Loc: Arkansas, US
Re: Show off your LX200 setup new [Re: drexelpoint]
      #1128742 - 09/02/06 09:40 PM

Ok. I see now. For some reason I was thinking the building rolled on the platform leaving the scope stationary. Had I looked closer I would have seen the scope buggy. Very well done! I go with miniature schnauzers for their size and lack of shedding. Yeah, I imagine Winter has a completely different meaning in Maine than that of Arkansas! I call our nights cold, but you'd probably call it somewhere between chilly and comfortable.

-Mark

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Show off your LX200 setup new [Re: mdine1us]
      #1128864 - 09/02/06 11:11 PM

I know...it's only an OTA, but I've been waiting a long time to get this thing set up and finally did it this evening...just want to show it off!

David

Michael Morris

Reged: 01/05/05

Loc: Worcestershire, UK
Re: Show off your LX200 setup new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #1129018 - 09/03/06 02:22 AM Attachment (304 downloads)

Here's my 8" LX200 classic with an Orion 80ED piggy-backed on it. The whole set up has just been installed in my new observatory.

jack45
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/07/03

Loc: Lacey WA
Re: Show off your LX200 setup new [Re: Michael Morris]
      #1129056 - 09/03/06 03:06 AM

You guys are having too much fun! I'm looking at getting the 12" LX200. There's just so much equipment to go with it. Lots of homework to do for sure!

Clear Skies!

Crims
sage

Reged: 04/04/06

Loc: ijmuiden/holland
      #1129177 - 09/03/06 07:04 AM

Quote:

I know...it's only an OTA, but I've been waiting a long time to get this thing set up and finally did it this evening...just want to show it off!

David

David,what Dovetail plate you have to put the WO guide rings on?

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Show off your LX200 setup new [Re: Crims]
      #1129789 - 09/03/06 02:17 PM

I have the DM12 dovetail plate and Losmandy rings. Not cheap, but a marvelously solid arrangement.

David

Snow dog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/17/05

Loc: Alberta Canada
      #1130976 - 09/04/06 01:06 AM Attachment (344 downloads)

Here's my setup. All I need now is clear skies.

Kim Miau
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/17/06

Loc: Malaysia
Re: Show off your LX200 setup new [Re: Snow dog]
      #1131265 - 09/04/06 09:49 AM

Quote:

Here's my setup. All I need now is clear skies.

Do you find it heavy?

Snow dog
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Show off your LX200 setup new [Re: Kim Miau]
      #1131798 - 09/04/06 03:53 PM

Quote:

Do you find it heavy?

Completely set up it weighs in at around 125 lbs. The Tripod is about 45 lbs and the OTA and Fork are about 75 lbs. If you are setting up near your vehicle or house it's not bad but if you need to lug it a hundred feet or more it will wear you out quick.
I am giving some serious thought to Peterson Engineering’s Ergo handles and Tripod shrink kits. The handles make it alot easier to carry and the shrink kit lowers the tripod up to 28 inches tall. This would reduce the weight of the tripod and make it easier to put the scope onto it as well. The other advantage of the shrink kit would be that you would not need a step ladder to look through it anymore (Wife hates that part).
All in all it's not a bad rig to move as long as you don't need to go far with it. I would say it is the MAX size that I would want to move around and not have in an observatory.

Moggi1964
Vendor - Astro Laugh

Reged: 11/07/05

Loc: Madison. NJ. USA
      #1132477 - 09/05/06 12:01 AM

Marc,

I see you have the mounting assistant which I find indispensible when lining up my 10" R. That setup weighs enough for me and last night I moved the whole rig in one go; not very far though

Kim Miau
Pooh-Bah

#1132873 - 09/05/06 10:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Do you find it heavy?

Completely set up it weighs in at around 125 lbs. The Tripod is about 45 lbs and the OTA and Fork are about 75 lbs. If you are setting up near your vehicle or house it's not bad but if you need to lug it a hundred feet or more it will wear you out quick.
I am giving some serious thought to Peterson Engineering’s Ergo handles and Tripod shrink kits. The handles make it alot easier to carry and the shrink kit lowers the tripod up to 28 inches tall. This would reduce the weight of the tripod and make it easier to put the scope onto it as well. The other advantage of the shrink kit would be that you would not need a step ladder to look through it anymore (Wife hates that part).
All in all it's not a bad rig to move as long as you don't need to go far with it. I would say it is the MAX size that I would want to move around and not have in an observatory.

Is your scope that tall that requires your wife to stand on a ladder? Do you have the photo of that handle kit? I find that the orginal handle of my lx90 is not useful. I always carry the mount and mount it onto the tripod. By the way, yours is really heavy.

Snow dog
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Show off your LX200 setup new [Re: Kim Miau]
      #1133638 - 09/05/06 06:44 PM

Quote:

Is your scope that tall that requires your wife to stand on a ladder?

It all depends on what you are looking at. If the scope is anywhere near level you need the equivalent of a milk crate to stand on. I guess I could rotate the diagnol too.
As for the handles goto Peterson Engineering Sky Division. Not sure if they fit the LX90 series or not.
I Love the mounting assistant as well. Makes it really easy to just plop in on the tripod and thread in the bolt.

CRSEREDA
sage

Reged: 01/07/06

Loc: Davie Florida USA
      #1134052 - 09/05/06 10:31 PM

the ergo handles work very well w/ the LX90's but you have to drill holes on the side opposite the original handles. the mounting plate is also one of the best things designed ever.

Calvin

Kim Miau
Pooh-Bah

#1134750 - 09/06/06 10:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is your scope that tall that requires your wife to stand on a ladder?

It all depends on what you are looking at. If the scope is anywhere near level you need the equivalent of a milk crate to stand on. I guess I could rotate the diagnol too.
As for the handles goto Peterson Engineering Sky Division. Not sure if they fit the LX90 series or not.
I Love the mounting assistant as well. Makes it really easy to just plop in on the tripod and thread in the bolt.

I just found this in S&T. It fits for lx90 but I am not sure whether it needs any modification. I don't think you lift up your tripod, right? I don't have this problem though.

Zyxlor
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/10/05

Loc: In my RV - Anywhere USA
      #1145100 - 09/12/06 04:34 PM

Michael. I'm planning tp piggy-back the same scope on my 10" LX200. Can you tell me any problems you ran into or tips on installation?
I noticed counter weights on your scope. Were those necessairy for the piggy-back?
Thanks

NeoDinian
Experienced Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/05

Loc: Rockford Illinois
Re: Show off your LX200 setup new [Re: Zyxlor]
      #1145173 - 09/12/06 05:06 PM

Besides the mounting plate, you should look into making a "Springy-Thingy"... The combination of the 2 makes putting your scope on the tripod a breeze!

Michael Morris

Reged: 01/05/05

Loc: Worcestershire, UK
Re: Show off your LX200 setup new [Re: Zyxlor]
      #1146087 - 09/13/06 08:07 AM

Quote:

Michael. I'm planning to piggy-back the same scope on my 10" LX200. Can you tell me any problems you ran into or tips on installation?
I noticed counter weights on your scope. Were those necessary for the piggy-back?
Thanks

The counterweight system is absolutely necessary. Mine is based on the Astroengineering system. For a full discussion of counterweights for SCTs see here and here. .
I used the Astro-engineering asymmetric mounting rings because of the very low profile they offered. This was important to me so that the set up could be mounted as high as possible in my observatory without obstructing the operation of the roll-off roof. The problem is that they are not in the ideal position on either the LX200 or the Orion 80ED. If you can, it would be better to use a 'ring and rail' system such as that made by Astroengineering, Scopetechnix, Losmandy or ADM

Sossy

Reged: 08/25/06

Loc: Rhyl, North Wales, United King...
      #1148438 - 09/14/06 07:07 PM

Here's mine.

Edited by Sossy (09/14/06 08:40 PM)

Wallrat

Reged: 08/29/06

Loc: Huntington Beach, Ca
      #1157513 - 09/20/06 06:21 PM

Lets see if this works:

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 166100

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics