Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | >> (show all)
LittleRockDark

Reged: 12/21/11

Re: Show off your NexStar new [Re: svtdoug]
      #4992759 - 12/30/11 07:25 PM

Thanks Pete, Skip and Doug. I'm using an IPad so I just realized that's why I havent been able to post pics or set up a custom avitar yet. So it looks like I'll need to bump over to the netbook.

My question about the diag on a spot scope is relating to how I'm using the sky surfer with the red dot. I can't surmise how you'd get your first rough line without something to site down...a peep site or something. Since you sorta need a strait shot to line things up...Do you site in another way before peering through the diag? Look down the tube?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
svtdoug
sage

Reged: 02/07/11

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
Re: Show off your NexStar new [Re: LittleRockDark]
      #4993218 - 12/31/11 12:16 AM

Ok, understand your question better. It depends on what you are doing? If you are aligning or slewing to an object, the SE mount should have placed the scope close enough to use the finder scope for rough centering. If you are manually slewing to an object that you have found from some other source (not familiar with a sky surfer), you can sight down the ota to get a rough idea of direction the scope is pointed, or use a 1 to 1 finder such as a Rigel, Telrad, or GLP to set the initial direction, or use the finder and do some star hopping to get to your object, or at least close enough to center in the finder scope. Also, there is an argument for getting a lower power finder scope, for a wider field of view.

Personally, if I am manually slewing to something, I use a Rigel 1 to 1 finder for rough alignment, then go to my RACI finder to center, then to the EP.

There will likely be other opinions added to this...

Doug

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Show off your NexStar new [Re: svtdoug]
      #4993401 - 12/31/11 05:11 AM

I used a green laser in conjuction with my 9x50 RACI when aligning etc. The pairing works very well for me.

I now hibernate the 8se, but still use the 9x50 as a low powered scope. The best view I get of the Pleiades, plus some of the brighter open clusters, is through the 9x50.

Regards. Peter.

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: Show off your NexStar new [Re: Peter9]
      #4993453 - 12/31/11 06:56 AM

Hey lads, sorry to be a party-pooper but the last 10 posts have been rather "off topic".
Rickster/Geoff - where are ya?

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Show off your NexStar new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #4993497 - 12/31/11 08:00 AM

Quote:

Hey lads, sorry to be a party-pooper but the last 10 posts have been rather "off topic".
Rickster/Geoff - where are ya?

Being the good Mods they are and allowing us a little slack every now and then.

Regards. Peter.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #4993707 - 12/31/11 10:34 AM

Quote:

... the last 10 posts have been rather "off topic".

Agreed. This post should be kept to pictures of scopes and directly related comments. The questions and advice above would reach a wider audience if placed as new posts in the forum.
-Dan

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Show off your NexStar new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #4993943 - 12/31/11 12:15 PM

This thread has always generated discussions on the equipment people have on thier scopes, and many of us have joined in at one time or another.

I've always thought of it as a good feature of the thread. Most of us are fairly new when we post there, and it gives us a chance to feel part of the forum.

I think most members will read the posts here, and while some of the topics may warrent a separate thread, I don't think much information is missed by it being discussed here.

Just my own opinion.

Regards. Peter.

rick rian
Seeker of Truth(s)

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Upper Mid West
      #4994482 - 12/31/11 04:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

... the last 10 posts have been rather "off topic".

Agreed. This post should be kept to pictures of scopes and directly related comments. The questions and advice above would reach a wider audience if placed as new posts in the forum.
-Dan

I concur, let's please keep this thread to photos only. Thanks!

LittleRockDark

Re: Show off your NexStar new [Re: rick rian]
      #5007317 - 01/08/12 12:57 PM Attachment (85 downloads)

10-4

LittleRockDark

#5007404 - 01/08/12 01:36 PM Attachment (69 downloads)

I should have structured my original question differently. I could have asked...Is there a need for using a secondary device when you're using a diagonal or higher magnification spotter or finder scopes? Having only owned a telescope for a month, my lack of knowledge in the area, in general, obviously extends to my forum etiquette...sorry 'bout that. Now I starting to wonder what type of upgrade would make "finding" easier or maybe more pleasurable when the skysurfer lll works like a hose. Is it a lazer in tandem with the ss3? In the spirit of Peter's response, maybe someone has a real short answer and post a pic too. hehe

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#5007566 - 01/08/12 03:26 PM

Quote:

I should have structured my original question differently. I could have asked...Is there a need for using a secondary device when you're using a diagonal or higher magnification spotter or finder scopes? Having only owned a telescope for a month, my lack of knowledge in the area, in general, obviously extends to my forum etiquette...sorry 'bout that. Now I starting to wonder what type of upgrade would make "finding" easier or maybe more pleasurable when the skysurfer lll works like a hose. Is it a lazer in tandem with the ss3? In the spirit of Peter's response, maybe someone has a real short answer and post a pic too. hehe

Hi LittleRockDark:

As a quick answer to your question - yes, there are better finders available.

However, as mentioned above, if you post this question as a new thread on the forum, it will get exposure to a much wider audience. Not everyone looks at this particular thread. In addition, the subject of alternate finders is one that will elicit many responses, opinions, and photos that can take up a lot of space and aren't really related to this thread.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here ... I just really think you'd get better information by posting a separate question in the main forum rather than adding on to this one. Just go to the main listing for the Nexstar forum and click the Post button at the upper right. No question is too simple or obvious. We've all been there before asking newbie questions and we're all here to help!

-Dan

rick rian
Seeker of Truth(s)

#5007987 - 01/08/12 08:31 PM

Quote:

... However, as mentioned above, if you post this question as a new thread on the forum, it will get exposure to a much wider audience. Not everyone looks at this particular thread. In addition, the subject of alternate finders is one that will elicit many responses, opinions, and photos that can take up a lot of space and aren't really related to this thread.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here ... I just really think you'd get better information by posting a separate question in the main forum rather than adding on to this one. Just go to the main listing for the Nexstar forum and click the Post button at the upper right. No question is too simple or obvious. We've all been there before asking newbie questions and we're all here to help!

-Dan

I conur, Dan, this thread is for showing pix of your equipment only. Please use the main NexStar forum for all questions.

Thanks for understanding, gang.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5008449 - 01/09/12 07:03 AM

Hi Rick,

I wonder if you could explain why, the seemingly sucessful format that has graced this thread since it was started, is now being changed.
Looking through the thread, members have always been allowed to post congratulations on peoples set ups, and ask the odd question as to what attachments they have on their scopes.
O.K one or two have been a bit long and gone of topic, but they have always come back in line, and the thread has carried on.
As I said in my earlier post, I think the comments enhance the thread and have help make it what it is.
Just wondered why the sudden change of heart.

I am not being controversial here Rick, just asking the question. I will of coarse, as always, comply with the new directive.

Regards. Peter.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#5008465 - 01/09/12 07:25 AM

Hi Peter:

I agree that a quick question regarding one's equipment is certainly acceptable here. For example "Where did you get that finder?" or "How did you mount that camera?", even if it takes it off topic for a few replies.

I think the issue here is more of an open ended question like what's a better finder setup? I've seen many posts where this question has been asked and it usually results in a lengthy thread with lots of opinions, discussion, and photos of the various options. There are follow on questions and discussions regarding mounting and aligning and comparisons of various setups.

I don't think we want to be too "hard and fast" about the purpose of this thread, but neither do we want it to wander off into a major distraction. It seems to be a natural tendency for a new person to want to add on to an existing thread rather than start a new one. I think it's good to encourage a new post for questions that deserve a full discussion.

This doesn't seem to be a change in the format of this thread to me, but that's just my 2 cents!
-Dan

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5008477 - 01/09/12 07:40 AM

Hi Dan, I took Ricks statement,

"I conur, Dan, this thread is for showing pix of your equipment only. Please use the main NexStar forum for all questions."

to mean what it says.

Pleased you agree with me that some question etc should be allowed.
It has been so since the thread was started, hence me thinking the above statement represented a change of heart.

Regards. Peter.

LittleRockDark

#5008532 - 01/09/12 08:54 AM

Thanks Peter I guess you realized this was my first postings to the site. honestly it took quite a bit more than I'd originally thought just to get my photos up. Now I'm in the groove. It will be lots easier now to follow protocall on the forum than it was to figure out the nexstar tracking. Dark skies to you all and thanks for the advice.

LittleRockDark

#5008580 - 01/09/12 09:36 AM

Oh..and that's the eastern sky my scopes pointed toward...

rick rian
Seeker of Truth(s)

#5008728 - 01/09/12 11:24 AM

Clarification -

This thread has always allowed a question or so, but when we start to get more than a quick answer or two it becomes a conversation and that is not the intent of this thread. Midnight Dan nailed it.

Let's not get hung up on details here, this thread is for showing off yer stuff.

Please look at page one of this thread.

LittleRockDark

#5008971 - 01/09/12 01:31 PM Attachment (77 downloads)

My misty mountainside...

LittleRockDark

Re: Show off your NexStar [Re: LittleRockDark]
      #5008976 - 01/09/12 01:32 PM Attachment (71 downloads)

...and future observatory...750 ft. above average terrain.

Pages: << 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 133222

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics