Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: << 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | >> (show all)
ZR WON

Reged: 06/17/10

Loc: Indiana
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: ZR WON]
      #4873910 - 10/22/11 07:46 AM Attachment (37 downloads)

M27 (Dumbbell Nebula) same setup, 7 minute integration

Brian A.
Smiling Chicken Observatory

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dragon Man
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/07/06

Loc: Snake Valley, Australia
      #4873914 - 10/22/11 07:54 AM

Wow Brian, amazing work and HUGE image scale

As I look through this Gallery the quality of the Video Grabs just get better and better

ZR WON

#4873916 - 10/22/11 07:54 AM Attachment (30 downloads)

Last one

IC 5136 (Cocoon) again. 3 minute integration, no saturation. I believe there is a little more detail in this image vs. the color rendition

Brian A.

ZR WON

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: Dragon Man]
      #4873922 - 10/22/11 07:57 AM

Thanks Ken!

Yes, they are large; you can only reduce a 14" so much...

Brian A.

altair1956
sage

Reged: 07/05/09

Loc: Light polluted central Mass
      #4876107 - 10/23/11 03:44 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

A few screen captures from last night. ALL MCHP, 56 second integration, 12" LX200, MFR 5, IDAS LPS P2 filter for all. NGC 7339 on left and NGC 7332 on right. Both in same field of view in Pegasus

altair1956
sage

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: altair1956]
      #4876110 - 10/23/11 03:46 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

NGC 246, the "Skull" nebula in Cetus

altair1956
sage

#4876113 - 10/23/11 03:47 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

NGC 7814, a nice edge on galaxy in Pegasus

altair1956
sage

#4876117 - 10/23/11 03:49 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

And Finally, a few small galaxies in the "Pices Cloud"

Lyle

Reged: 01/22/05

#4876283 - 10/23/11 05:28 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

A few images from last night using an ATIK 314e camera, C14, and MRF5 focal reducer. Transparancy 3/5, seeing 4/5.

Lyle

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: Lyle]
      #4876286 - 10/23/11 05:31 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

M27 4 minutes guided, The previous image The Bubble Nebula was 10 minutes guided.

Lyle

#4876290 - 10/23/11 05:33 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

NGC 6946 10 min guided

Lyle

#4876293 - 10/23/11 05:35 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

NGC 891 4 minutes guided

Lyle

#4876297 - 10/23/11 05:37 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

...and M13, 2 minutes guided

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #4876393 - 10/23/11 06:46 PM

Lyle,

Uh very nice images but what do they have to do with video observing/imaging? The ATIK 314e is a very nice imaging CCD camera and while it is capable of fast readouts at lower resolutions it really isn't a video camera.

Edit - Ok, I get the ability to use a regular CCD imager for quick (10s of seconds) quick "live" like looks but once we're into the multiple minute images (even single image un processed images) we're into a very non video oriented situation.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just questioning where we're drawing the line between these two concepts ("regular" CCD imaging and video observing/imaging).

Edited by mclewis1 (10/23/11 06:55 PM)

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: nomosnow]
      #4876397 - 10/23/11 06:47 PM

Great images Nomosnow My brief 7331 and Stephan's Quintet from tonight via Lodestar-C

jchaller
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/29/08

Loc: Tenino, WA.
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: mclewis1]
      #4876438 - 10/23/11 07:13 PM

Quote:

Lyle,

Uh very nice images but what do they have to do with video observing/imaging? The ATIK 314e is a very nice imaging CCD camera and while it is capable of fast readouts at lower resolutions it really isn't a video camera.

Edit - Ok, I get the ability to use a regular CCD imager for quick (10s of seconds) quick "live" like looks but once we're into the multiple minute images (even single image un processed images) we're into a very non video oriented situation.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just questioning where we're drawing the line between these two concepts ("regular" CCD imaging and video observing/imaging).

Mark, while the thread is titled "Astro Video Image Gallery" the forum is "Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy".
Just last night, I watched a broadcast on NSN by JB using the Starlight Express SXV-H9C camera and was amazed at the views. I would hope we could find room in this forum to include non-video ccd images.

Maybe another thread dedicated to live or almost live non-video imaging.

Lyle

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: jchaller]
      #4876563 - 10/23/11 08:24 PM

I am interested in electronically assisted observing. These images are captured and displayed in the field. Last night the images were captured and displayed at a NOVAC public event at Crockett. My display set up consists of a laptop computer with a second 22 inch lcd monitor. The images are captured on the ATIK, downloaded onto the computer, then processed in adobe Photoshop and displayed on the 22 inch LCD in seconds. I am developing macros using computer macro software to do this automatically in adobe Photoshop.

If I were just capturing and processing images at home I would not post on this forum. I am trying to push the technology in order to improve observing. I thought that posting the images might show what is possible using equipment other than a video cam. I must point out that many of these videocams now integrate for unlimited periods of time just like a dedicated ccd. The difference is that the image is immediately displayed on a monitor for the observer to see. This seems like the same objective I am trying to do.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: jchaller]
      #4876586 - 10/23/11 08:38 PM

Jim,

I'm with you on the impressive quality of what comes off of some of these setups. With screen/window capturing (lassoing in WebcamMax for example) you can broadcast images from just about any source on NSN.

I believe the "Electronically Assisted" part of the title of this forum is intended to include devices like low light image multiplier products as well as the traditional video output devices and not to be all encompassing to include all imaging products.

It's clear that we have also included some CCD camera images here because they've been captured in an almost "live" timeframe (the 10s of seconds I referred to earlier). Used like this CCD cameras function very much like video imagers and their images are quite comparable.

It's also clear that the Mallincam Extreme starts to blur the line between traditional CCD cameras and video output cameras with it's ability to use a "CCD mode" for longer exposure imaging. Why I think the Extreme still warrants inclusion here is because it's output is a pure video (30fps NTSC/25fps PAL) signal. The conversion from analogue video to a digital stream for a computer still imparts some loss which means as great as some of the longer exposure images from an Extreme are they can't surpass the best images from CCD cameras ... so there's always going to be some handicap.

Taking "regular" CCD cameras up over a minute or so and putting the resulting images beside those from video cameras (or image intensifiers) is I believe a step too far. If we do collectively think this OK (and it just might be, I'm just pointing out why I'm a little uncomfortable with it) then perhaps we should just change the name of the forum/gallery to something like "Non Post Processed Imaging" ... or like you suggested just create another forum/thread.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

#4876630 - 10/23/11 09:01 PM

Lyle,

Thanks for the explanation, that makes a lot of sense to me. I think what you're doing is fantastic and it's really pushing the boundaries and blurring the traditional lines.

I think one of the most important things in what you're doing is the idea of "seconds". Processing images in seconds to be viewable in a short period of time is indeed one of the unique characteristics of this forum.

Perhaps we should drop any technology specific restrictions in this forum and instead focus only on the presentation of the images? For example something like "if the image isn't viewable in say X seconds or doesn't look like it does "live" then in won't be displayed here"?

nomosnow
sage

Reged: 03/21/11

Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery [Re: nytecam]
      #4876934 - 10/24/11 12:51 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

Thanks I have a lot to learn but I m thrilled with the Mallin Cam here is one from my 2nd night with a 6 inch F-5 Skywatcher on a Cg-5 and a new MCEX.

Pages: << 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid, David Pavlich, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 178344

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics