Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: << 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | >> (show all)
Chris A
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: mpgxsvcd]
      #5255399 - 06/04/12 10:11 PM

Mike Harvey did mention to us that this was a capture off his monitor that was displaying the image using his hand held digital camera. There was a bit of cropping but no post processing. I got to hand it to Mike that this is the best image that I have ever seen captured with a Maillincam Xtreme in only 56 seconds. There is incredible detail & color in the nebula and even the stars have nice color to them.

Chris A

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dragon Man
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/07/06

Loc: Snake Valley, Australia
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: Chris A]
      #5257362 - 06/06/12 01:32 AM Attachment (35 downloads)

Looks like I am first to post my Venus Transit pics.

After many hours of fighting cloud I finally managed to show a half decent LIVE feed of the last parts of the transit.
Unfortunately they appear heavily pixelated.

Thanks to Chris A for sorting out my exposure problem at the start and to all who came in to watch on NSN

I used a Mallincam Xtreme in an ED80 Refractor with a 0.6x Focal Reducer and a JMB white Glass Solar Filter.

Here are my Screen Grabs from the LIVE broadcast.
1st Pic

Dragon Man
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: Dragon Man]
      #5257367 - 06/06/12 01:35 AM Attachment (29 downloads)

2nd pic
Near the end of Transit and zoomed in a small bit.

Dragon Man
Carpal Tunnel

#5257368 - 06/06/12 01:36 AM Attachment (28 downloads)

Pic 3.
Right at the end of Transit. Zoomed in lots.

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
      #5257417 - 06/06/12 02:23 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

Here's my contribution...Second Contact.

Dragon Man
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: budman1961]
      #5257433 - 06/06/12 02:36 AM

Wow Andy, that is such a smooth image!!!

Equipment details please

Dragon Man
Carpal Tunnel

#5257470 - 06/06/12 03:10 AM Attachment (40 downloads)

Here's a whole bunch of unprocessed Live images I got as a single screen grab.
It is the broadcasters page in NSN

These are the people who were broadcasting when I came in to watch before my own broadcast.
(click HERE to see it larger)

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
      #5258307 - 06/06/12 01:19 PM

Quote:

Looks like I am first to post my Venus Transit pics. After many hours of fighting cloud I finally managed to show a half decent LIVE feed of the last parts of the transit.

Beautiful images Ken - well done

Mike Harvey
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/01/04

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: mpgxsvcd]
      #5260937 - 06/07/12 10:14 PM

Quote:

[
That looks more like a CCD image than any of the other malincam images I have seen. Was this a computer monitor screen or a crt monitor? That image doesn't show any of the normal low resolution artifacts that are usually seen with the MC cameras. Was this through s-video or SDI?

Was this taken with dark skies? I too am very impressed with this image. What was the approximate final F ratio of this image? F2.8 or lower?

The monitor was a Marshall 7" HD-LCD (professional studio monitor) and the image was S-Video fed into an HDMI converter.
This monitor matches the native output resolution of the MC so there is no scaling loss and the screen has 1.2 MILLION pixels (so it's not your typical 'consumer product' image quality).

There are conflicting opinions as to what the correct formula for the final f/ratio of any particular setup might be. I think this particular configuration was ~f/2. Any lower than that and I start seeing some distortion.

I certainly agree that most of the 'grabbed' images from MC's are not especially good (compared with the "live" view at the scope or to a traditional long-exposure image). That's why I don't post many of my images. The one you are seeing is an exception...NOT the norm.
This one was captured of the monitor screen with a Nikon D700 camera and everything just "came-together". I have a few others that I've gotten lucky with posted in the MC yahoo group "PHOTOS" section under my name.

PS - Yes... the image was made at our dark site (Chiefland Astronomy Village). That night, seeing was exceptionally good and ZNL was 6+.

Mike Harvey

ZR WON

Reged: 06/17/10

Loc: Indiana
      #5261288 - 06/08/12 02:44 AM Attachment (36 downloads)

All:

Here is my first single unprocessed image of M27 for the year. UHC filter, AGC 2, 180 seconds APC 2/3. Mallincam Xtreme Standard Class 0 (not an X2, no fans), MCV-1-E frame grabber. Thanks to Chuck for the screen grab.

Brian A.
Smiling Chicken Observatory

Craig in Tacoma

Reged: 01/27/11

#5262534 - 06/08/12 09:41 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

Nice shot of the broadcasters screen Ken, here's a shot I took during my broadcast of the transit
Lunt 60mm double stack (60mm)
Samsung SDC435 camera
iOptron Mini Tower Pro

johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: Craig in Tacoma]
      #5263058 - 06/09/12 09:15 AM

Craig,

I see your image also shows the disputed "ring" around Venus and you were using a Samsung camera. Does that camera do any internal processing like the Mallincams?

JohnD

Craig in Tacoma

Reged: 01/27/11

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: johnpd]
      #5263248 - 06/09/12 11:41 AM

John,

It has similar internal function's, frame buffers and signal amplification. The video cameras are all similar in their function, not like the old WYCIWYG, (what you see is what you get, web cams).

As for the atmosphere "ring" around Venus, that's what it is. Papers have been published about it in the past. NASA has commented on it. It even has a name, ah... read this article published by NASA...

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/04jun_arcofvenus/

The debate on the MC forum is based on lack of research it can be annoying at times.

Craig in Tacoma (TacomaSky)

ZR WON

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: Craig in Tacoma]
      #5264409 - 06/10/12 08:52 AM Attachment (26 downloads)

All:

Here is a single exposure of M16, AGC2, 120 seconds, UHC Filter, MCV-1 (no enhanced). I was doing some testing last night and it would seem that the MCV-1-E creates additional noise vs. the original MCV-1.

Brian A.

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: johnpd]
      #5265718 - 06/11/12 03:12 AM

Quote:

Craig, I see your image also shows the disputed "ring" around Venus and you were using a Samsung camera. Does that camera do any internal processing like the Mallincams? JohnD

Looks like an artifact from excessive sharpening to me and fairly common on amateur vid - pro pics at this resolution don't show it

Chris A
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: Astro Video Image Gallery new [Re: ZR WON]
      #5266313 - 06/11/12 01:16 PM

Very nice capture Brian. Make sure that when you are using the MCV-1-E that you have the sharpness no higher then set to 1 in your video settings. The MCV-1-E already sharpens the image enough which automatically enhances the details, so very little if any extra sharpening is needed.

Chris A

ZR WON

#5266815 - 06/11/12 05:40 PM

Chris:

Thanks for the compliment, it means a lot. I had the sharpness at 0 when testing both MCV-1 and -1-E. We have some weather moving through tonight, but I hope to be on NSN Wednesday and Thursday night.

Brian A.

ZR WON

#5270895 - 06/14/12 09:54 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Some additional photos from the last couple nights forthcoming. First up NGC 4565 (The Needle Galaxy). Mallincam Xtreme Class 0 (standard), MCV-1-E, Astronomic UHC filter, MFR-5 with 10mm of spacing b/w the elements, AGC 0, APC 3/4, 6 minute exposure.

On a separate, but very interesting note, I tried a recommendation from a fellow NSN broadcaster with great success, albeit for 30 or so minutes before it too warmed up. I wrapped the Xtreme with two thick Bounty paper towels and then rubber banded a flexible frozen gel back (that you can get from any pharmacy, you freeze and it stays soft) around the camera. I plan to get a couple more of these and do a 'rotation' throughout the night.

I had been noticing a lot more hot pixels this year vs. last, so I figured I had nothing to lose. It made a *huge* difference in not only warm pixels, but also with amp glow. As you can see with this first image, for a 6 minute exposure, it shows minimal warm pixels and amp glow present. For people experiencing a lot of warm pixels/amp glow, I would wholeheartedly recommend you try this and see for yourself! (Thanks Craig for the suggestion!)

Brian A.

ZR WON

#5270904 - 06/14/12 10:01 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

Same setup as above, M104, 2-minute exposure

ZR WON

Re: Astro Video Image Gallery [Re: ZR WON]
      #5270906 - 06/14/12 10:03 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

Same setup as above, NGC4038. 5 minute exposure.

Pages: << 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  csa/montana, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 172767

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics