Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
asaint
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/25/03

William Optics SPL Eyepieces
      #2202139 - 02/19/08 07:44 AM

WO SPLs

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave Chadsey
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/27/04

Loc: Southern California
Re: William Optics SPL Eyepieces new [Re: asaint]
      #2203718 - 02/19/08 07:13 PM

Thanks Timm, good report. These ep's sound interesting. Eye relief is good!
Dave

Tom Faller

Reged: 08/07/06

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
      #2203728 - 02/19/08 07:18 PM

Timm: Very good review. I was able to try out the 3mm SPL in a WO 80mm refractor last year, and I think that is its natural habitat, but I only borrowed the scope for a few nights. You've got a lot more detail and information and I was amused that you thought of trying different combinations of top and bottom. I've never thought of doing that.
I'm going to be trying out the 3mm in a 12" f/5 reflector later this year and I have high hopes for it performing well.

naglertized
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/10/07

Loc: Jacksonville Florida
Re: William Optics SPL Eyepieces new [Re: Tom Faller]
      #2204161 - 02/19/08 10:26 PM

Great article Timm. The folks at WO are really putting out a great product. I was thoroughly impressed with a 28 UWAN I once owned.

timmbottoni
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/05

Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA
Re: William Optics SPL Eyepieces new [Re: naglertized]
      #2204214 - 02/19/08 10:47 PM

Thanks everyone - I have bought a WO Zoom II that I hope to test if Spring ever shows up here in the Midwest.

Timm

Tom TAdministrator

Reged: 02/26/02

Re: William Optics SPL Eyepieces new [Re: timmbottoni]
      #2206196 - 02/20/08 06:33 PM

Excellent writeup Timm!

timmbottoni
Carpal Tunnel

Re: William Optics SPL Eyepieces new [Re: Tom T]
      #2206821 - 02/20/08 10:43 PM

Thanks Tom - it helps that I have your reviews to learn from

Timm

David E
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/25/06

Loc: North Carolina
      #2208220 - 02/21/08 12:49 PM

Nice review Timm. I found your discovery of switching the barrels the most interesting!

David E

Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Refractor Heaven
      #2209834 - 02/21/08 11:20 PM

Nicely done. Really like how you used different parts of each one to make new versions. Would be worth it to buy an extra set just to make up the in-between sizes. BTW, have you noticed that they seem to be the exact same eyepieces sold by Smart Astronomy and Orion, but that theirs are only $100.00?

Ed Kessler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/17/06

Loc: Millersburg, PA
      #2211539 - 02/22/08 04:40 PM

Hi Timm,

I appreciated your review of these eyepieces. It was well written and interesting.

I think that the review could have been more informative, if the comparisons had been with other typically standard planetary eyepieces, however. In other words, a direct comparison between the SPL's and good orthos and plossls would have been more helpful to me. I am interested in how well the SPL's compare in contrast, light-scatter and on axis sharpness to TV Plossls, for example. It didn't really surprise me that the SPL's could perform better on the planets than the UWA's or the Nagler.

Thank you again for your review!

Clear Skies,

timmbottoni
Carpal Tunnel

Re: William Optics SPL Eyepieces new [Re: Ed Kessler]
      #2212319 - 02/22/08 09:54 PM

Quote:

Hi Timm,

I appreciated your review of these eyepieces. It was well written and interesting.

I think that the review could have been more informative, if the comparisons had been with other typically standard planetary eyepieces, however. In other words, a direct comparison between the SPL's and good orthos and plossls would have been more helpful to me. I am interested in how well the SPL's compare in contrast, light-scatter and on axis sharpness to TV Plossls, for example. It didn't really surprise me that the SPL's could perform better on the planets than the UWA's or the Nagler.

Thank you again for your review!

Clear Skies,

Thanks Ed,

It comes down to economics. I wish I had some other eyepieces you mentioned to compare to, but as I said, I got rid of the plossls and orthos because I needed the money to fund the UWANs at the time, and sold them.

I think the best comparisons to make would be with ANY other eyepieces that have this level of comfortable viewing, like a TV Radian, but I don't have those either.

If you have high quality orthos or plossls that you like, that can get you to the magnification you need, either with or without a barlow, and you find them comfortable to view through, then I think you should stick with them.

Thanks,

Timm

timmbottoni
Carpal Tunnel

Re: William Optics SPL Eyepieces new [Re: Doug76]
      #2212366 - 02/22/08 10:12 PM

Quote:

Nicely done. Really like how you used different parts of each one to make new versions. Would be worth it to buy an extra set just to make up the in-between sizes. BTW, have you noticed that they seem to be the exact same eyepieces sold by Smart Astronomy and Orion, but that theirs are only $100.00?

Yes - I see that both are offering up what looks like the same eyepieces now for a lower price. That's great! Competition is a good thing. Maybe WO will lower their prices too if they feel like they need to. I am guessing that Long Perng in Taiwan is the OEM for these, since they appear now on their webite as well

Timm

warf
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/25/04

Loc: Wisconsin
      #2222692 - 02/27/08 02:26 PM

If you want a great little scope, search out the red anniversary WO ZS80 Flourite Doublet on the used market... the flourite glass in this little scope impresses me each time I use it. The Megrez 90 is using a better quaility glass than the ZS80 ED you are looking at so that is why the price difference. I do agree with your reasons for looking at the ZS80... I too will pull out the bigger light catcher when I have the time and strength.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3809

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics