Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
asaint
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/25/03

Kowa XD44 Binoculars
      #2217295 - 02/25/08 09:26 AM

Kowa Binoculars

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Remy Bosio
Uber Curmudgeon

Reged: 03/02/04

Re: Kowa XD44 Binoculars new [Re: asaint]
      #2217541 - 02/25/08 11:49 AM

Allister, looks like Binoculars.com has that model but it's pricey for it's given aperature. Good review though.

proud uncle
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/22/07

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Kowa XD44 Binoculars new [Re: Remy Bosio]
      #2217713 - 02/25/08 12:57 PM

The reviewer indicated he bought the binocular for "nature watching including Astronomy." But, the review only mentions it's performance for astronomy. Then the review recommends the 10.5x model for Astronomy, though the 10.5x was not reviewed. How does the reviewer KNOW the 10.5x performs as nicely as the 8.5? What is the aperture of the 10.5x model?

Since the 8.5x44 was reviewed, then the review would have been stronger to also discuss it's performance on more telestial nature-watching, such as birds. What is the FOV? Does actual FOV match advertised FOV? What is the minimum close focus range?

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
Re: Kowa XD44 Binoculars new [Re: proud uncle]
      #2217959 - 02/25/08 02:47 PM

Shiv, thanks for your review. They are a most interesting binocular! No spikes on Sirius - says a lot not only about collimation, but perhaps even more so about the quality of the glass used and even your eyesight.

Great shot too!

Mark9473
Postmaster

#2217980 - 02/25/08 02:56 PM

Quote:

the review recommends the 10.5x model for Astronomy, though the 10.5x was not reviewed. How does the reviewer KNOW the 10.5x performs as nicely as the 8.5?

Perhaps you have read another version of the review, than the rest of us.
He said the 10.5x has a higher resolving power than the 8.5x, and would show a darker sky background and fainter objects. These are just pure facts that follow from the specs.

For some of your other questions, see http://www.kowascope.com/
But I agree with you that it'd been nice to have a longer / more detailed review of such a nice optic.

Edited by Mark9473 (02/25/08 02:57 PM)

proud uncle
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/22/07

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Kowa XD44 Binoculars new [Re: Mark9473]
      #2218313 - 02/25/08 05:01 PM

Quote:

He said the 10.5x has a higher resolving power than the 8.5x, and would show a darker sky background and fainter objects. These are just pure facts that follow from the specs.

My understanding is resolving power and limiting magnitude are both functions of aperture. Both models have 44mm aperture. What the 10.5x does is help our eyes resolve really tight detail within the capabilities of the optics. Also, as you stated, possibly a darker background.

But, I agree, these appear to be very fine optics. Given the price, I would hope so!

Mark9473
Postmaster

#2219544 - 02/26/08 03:18 AM

Kenneth, you would be right by stating that maximum resolving power depends on aperture. However, binoculars are operating at magnifications very much below the optimum.

In fact, they are typically used at powers where the eye is the limiting factor for what you can see. A person with good eyesight may be able to resolve 100 arcseconds at night with the naked eye. In a 10x binocular the resolution he can achieve is then 10 arcseconds - still quite far from the theoretical resolving power of a typical binocular's objective lens.

The same goes for limiting magnitude, really. I see you have a telescope, so I'm sure you've noticed that when you swith from a low power to a slightly higher one, you get to see fainter stars.

Booji

Reged: 10/12/07

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: Kowa XD44 Binoculars new [Re: Mark9473]
      #2220151 - 02/26/08 12:08 PM

Nice ad,

Booji

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

Re: Kowa XD44 Binoculars new [Re: Booji]
      #2221352 - 02/26/08 09:34 PM

What do roof prism spikes have to do with collimation?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2643

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics