Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Covey32
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/09/04

Loc: Georgia
Re: iOptron Mini Tower new [Re: Terry - W6LMJ]
      #2726021 - 10/30/08 08:46 AM

Had the same problem and Steve Forbes had me remove the top cover (square, 4 small screws) where you will find the GPS unit. There is a small brass push on connector there. I gave mine a small snugging turn to reseat it and have had no problems since. Seems to be a small problem they are working on, since it is able to work loose in transit.
Excellent mount and the GPS is very strong.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
J_D_Metzger
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/04

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #2727413 - 10/30/08 10:55 PM

iOptron has formally announced that there will be NO wedge for the MiniTower, and that it is NOT suitable for long-exposure astrophotography:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ioptron/message/2054

I'm sure this will disappoint some folks...

Terry - W6LMJ
journeyman

Reged: 10/25/08

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL
Re: iOptron Mini Tower new [Re: Covey32]
      #2727696 - 10/31/08 06:29 AM

Thank you for the feedback. I am going out to try that now - before the sun comes up. I wonder if I will be able to use this mount for occultations?

Terry - W6LMJ

Terry - W6LMJ
journeyman

#2727727 - 10/31/08 07:13 AM

That did it. I went out with a small phillips and removed the four long screws from the top plate. The I removed the square plastic plate from the top and inspected the square GPS unit. All appeared well, and properly seated. However, using the screw driver for leverage, I was able to apply a little pressure to each connector. They didn't appear to move. However, when I turned the mount on the GPS almost immediately switched from On to Okay. Prefect.

Thanks for the help.

Terry - W6LMJ

Covey32
Pooh-Bah

#2727844 - 10/31/08 08:58 AM

Exactly what mine did...glad to help.
They really NEED to improve that connection up there.
Very easy to dislodge during shipping !

Kirkup

Reged: 07/30/08

Loc: Lake Placid, FL
      #2727955 - 10/31/08 10:18 AM

I am new to the hobby. How would the Mini Tower work with a 34 inch 10 lb refractor? Would the scope hit the tripod when pointed straight up? How tall is the mount W/the tripod extended? Thanks for the help/advice.

Covey32
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron Mini Tower new [Re: Kirkup]
      #2728479 - 10/31/08 03:12 PM

With the tripod legs fully extended, the center point of the dovetail mount is around 54 inches above the ground, so it should be just fine.

Kirkup

Reged: 07/30/08

Loc: Lake Placid, FL
      #2728925 - 10/31/08 08:54 PM

Thanks Hank. I don't want to make a very expensive mistake.

Emanuele
Lord of the Ring

Reged: 11/19/03

Loc: Brescia-Italy, and Iowa-US
Re: iOptron Mini Tower new [Re: Kirkup]
      #2733579 - 11/03/08 07:50 PM

Do you guys think that this mount can handle a Takahashi CN212? the OTA weighs 18.7lbs and it is 33.7" long.
Probably with the clamshell and diagonal it is going to weigh 25lbs.

Anyone can help me on this?

Great Red Spot
Vendor-Great Red Spot

Reged: 06/17/07

Loc: Detroit, Mi
      #2734439 - 11/04/08 10:35 AM

Terry

This is a minor known issue with the MiniTower caused when shipping the units from over-seas, and is easily repaired. Remove the square cover at the top of the unit to reveal the GPS antenna PCB. Make sure that the connectors are tight. There are two of them. One is a four pin connector and the other is a mini-coaxial connctor. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten but not over tighten the coxial connector. Firmly push down on the other connector to seat it in the socket. That will fix the issue 90% of the time.

If that does not fix the problem, then you may need to reseat the conector on the controller PCB inside the tower. First unscrew the Alt locking knob all of the way. Remove the screws holding the cover over, which will reveal the controller PCB. Trace the wiring harness down the side from the GPS antenna PCB to the connector on the controller PCB. Reseat that connector being carful not to disturb the opical encoders for the ALT drive gears. That will fix the problem 99% of the time.

I have seen a few units with the problem you describe and by following these steps I was able to repair each one in under 20 minutes. Once done, the GPS synched in about 90 seconds for each unit. If that does not work, give me a call and I will see if there is anything more I can do to help.

Jeff

Great Red Spot
Vendor-Great Red Spot

Reged: 06/17/07

Loc: Detroit, Mi
      #2734677 - 11/04/08 12:45 PM

Terry

This is really a simple fix. The GPS connectors sometimes get loose during shipment. First remove the square top cover. You will see the GPS board. Make sure the four pin connector is firmly seated in the socket. With a pair of needle-nose pliers, make sure the mini-coax connector for the antenna is tight, but not over tight. Once you complete this, start up the MiniTower again. GPS should sync and go to GPS OK in no more than three minutes, usually less than 90 seconds.

If that does not work, then fully unscrew the ALT knob. Then remove the screws holding the cover, to expose the controller PCB. Then tracing the wiring harness from the GPS board down to the controller board, locate the end of the GPS wiring harness on the controller board. Being careful not to move the ALT encoder, make sure the wiring harness from the GPS board is fully seated on the controller PCB.

99% of the time this will fix the issue and you will be up and running. If this does not work, give me a call and I will try to help you further.

Jeff Hineline

Terry - W6LMJ
journeyman

Re: iOptron Mini Tower new [Re: Great Red Spot]
      #2735973 - 11/05/08 08:12 AM

The Mini Tower is working fine now. I have had it out twice since the fix, and the GPS is quick and accurate.

I mounted a C8 on it last night. This is my oldest scope. It started life on a wooden tripod with no electric drive. I use to use it in Panama for star parties. Indeed, Carl Sagan had his first view of Halley's Comet through this C8. Anyway, I attached a Vixen mounting plate, and mounted the scope on the close in mounting point on the Mini Tower, on the opposite side from the counter weight. This scope is very easy to balance. I did the one star simple alignment and used a 25 mm Plossel. After the initial alignment I was able to goto every selected object with no problem at all.

A very nice experience.

Terry - W6LMJ

Dan Duriscoe

Reged: 10/25/07

#2739926 - 11/07/08 02:21 PM

Have experimented with this mount over the last two days and have the following comments:

This is a very good mechanical design. The altitude bearing is smooth and heavy duty. The azimuth bearing appears to work very well also, tolerating a bit of off balance, allowing small telescopes to be used without a counterweight. For a mass produced instrument this is one of the best mechanically.

The levelling screws are a good idea, reasonably well implemented. Anyone who has used a surveyor's transit or total station knows, however, that FOUR screws are far better than THREE, allowing you to level in two directions at right angles to each other, making the task far easier. Still, it is nice to see a company finally making the effort to provide a levelling feature.

The GOTO system with built in GPS works very well. Advertised pointing accurcy of 1 arc minute is a bit over-enthusiastic, but I would say this mount achieves 5 arc minute accuracy 100% of the time, which is quite good. If you level the mount accurately, the one star alignment works fine.

The GOTONOVA system has the advantage of a large display showing many lines of data at once. However, functionally it is not nearly as elegant as Celestron or Meade's on mounts of comparable price and quality. A lot of button pushing is required to go deep into the menu, with no "shortcut keys" available on the handpad.

The ASCOM driver for this sytem works OK with SkyMap Pro, but I have not been able to use it with ACP Observatory control software. I found some workarounds using the Astro-Physics ASCOM driver, which appears to have been cloned for the GOTONOVA system. Hopefully the driver will be revised in future.

Maximum slew rate is about 3.8 degrees per second, which, sadly, is becoming the standard for these types of mounts. I really miss the 6 degrees per second of the old Nexstar single arm mounts. A slew of 180 degrees in azimuth tries my patience somewhat, especially when there is no good reason for not making a faster speed available.

Balance in altitude is somewhat critical. I got an error message stating that the motor was "over current" with my telescope slightly off balance. Balance in azimuth does not appear to be nearly as critical. This may be an issue when switching eyepieces with heavy Naglers and very light short focus eyepieces on a refractor (or switching to a binoviewer).

While this mount works well as a GOTO system, the real tragedy of this design is that it COULD work equally well as a manual "just push it around" alt-azimuth, like the Stellarvue M7, but the encoders appear to be integral to the motors, so when you loosen the clutches and push alignment is lost. If the encoders were separated from the gears, this would be a nearly ideal digital setting circle manual mount at a bargain price. One of the great joys of visual observing for me is to sweep through the Milky Way, "discovering" objects visually, THEN looking them up. A simple glance to the computer screen with a planetarium software connected to a mount with digital setting circles is a great technological advance that, unfortunately, is not available with this mount UNLESS you use the motors only.

In summary, this mount represents a big step forward in a mass produced instrument, but is not perfect. Mechanically, though, for the price it is built like a brick outhouse.

jimudon2

Reged: 11/19/08

Re: iOptron Mini Tower new [Re: StarStruckCarter]
      #2763051 - 11/21/08 12:15 PM

Have you used binoviewers with it? I am trying to determine would this give me more stability than my nexstar 8se single arm mount? Your thoughts?

tony_spina

Reged: 06/14/04

Loc: So. Cal.
Re: iOptron Mini Tower new [Re: Great Red Spot]
      #3146202 - 06/04/09 07:27 PM

Thanks Jeff for your detail explanation. It now works for me

mikester
journeyman

Reged: 10/09/09

Re: iOptron Mini Tower new [Re: asaint]
      #3479337 - 12/02/09 10:24 AM

Purchased a mini-Tower from ADORAMA two weeks ago. Second time out using batteries it blew a fuse. Spoke with Steve Forbes today who was super supportive and said they would take care of the repairs/exchange at their cost. I intend to use it with my Vixen VMC 200L. It's nice to know that the folks at i-OPTRON are consumer concerned and vested in helping out folks who happend to get a lemmon.

Mike Anderer
Saint Charles, Il
pulkovo123@yahoo.com

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/05

Re: iOptron Mini Tower new [Re: mikester]
      #3479453 - 12/02/09 11:39 AM

Mike, Good to hear that Steve Forbes is helping you out. He is very knowledgeable about MiniTowers. I am getting an almost new MiniTower that has Steve's Timken bearing upgrade. It should be very accurate and better yet, very smooth. He rescued a faulty MiniTower of a friend while visiting Florida for a starparty and Steve drove up from South Florida where he was visiting family and repaired my friend's mount that night! Can't get much better service than that<g>. Bob

Ken Ross

Reged: 12/24/09

Loc: New York
Re: iOptron Mini Tower new [Re: Bob S.]
      #3531616 - 12/31/09 01:56 PM

Guys, I'm a bit confused regarding using the iOptron Mini Tower in an imaging setup. Although I'm not currently doing any imaging, I was wondering why iOptron has stated this unit is not satisfactory for long exposure astrophotography.

Maybe it's my 'newbie' status in this area, but I would think if the GoTo is accurate and tracks the selected object well, why would it not be suitable for imaging? Is is accuracy or load capacity?

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: iOptron Mini Tower new [Re: Ken Ross]
      #3531702 - 12/31/09 02:40 PM

The mini-tower is an alt-azimuth mount. Any imaging done with an alt-azimuth mount shows image rotation in shots longer than about 1 minute.
You could composite a dozen 1 minute shots to give a deep-sky shot, but in general alt-azimuth mounts are not used for astrophotography.
And so far, there is no wedge to convert the mount to an equatorial mount.

Ken Ross

Reged: 12/24/09

Loc: New York
Re: iOptron Mini Tower new [Re: Starman1]
      #3531978 - 12/31/09 04:53 PM

Thanks Don, makes sense. Seems like a really nice mount other than for imaging.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17120

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics