Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
mloffland

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Norman, Oklahoma
Fraunhofer Diffraction - A Primer
      #3308141 - 09/01/09 12:19 PM

Fraunhofer Diffraction - A Primer

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mathteacher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/07

Loc: Oakland, CA
Re: Fraunhofer Diffraction - A Primer new [Re: mloffland]
      #3312048 - 09/03/09 01:15 AM

Nice article. Sure, Lord mask it is!

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Fraunhofer Diffraction - A Primer new [Re: mathteacher]
      #3313856 - 09/03/09 10:12 PM

Very good article.
Are the angles of the "Y" 150°, 60°, and 150°?

bill w
Postmaster

Reged: 03/26/05

Loc: southern california
Re: Fraunhofer Diffraction - A Primer new [Re: star drop]
      #3316593 - 09/05/09 08:46 AM

great article chris, thanks for posting it

gezak22
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/15/04

Loc: On far side of moon. Send help...
Re: Fraunhofer Diffraction - A Primer new [Re: mloffland]
      #3339733 - 09/17/09 03:32 PM

What dimensions do you recommend for a 100mm f/2 lens. Of course I'll stop it down for photography, but for focusing purposes, I'll leave it at f/2.

Very nice article btw.

jbalsam
sage

Reged: 07/06/12

Loc: Darnestown, MD
Re: Fraunhofer Diffraction - A Primer new [Re: gezak22]
      #5644922 - 01/26/13 07:02 PM

Someone pointed me to Chris's article and suggested that I make one of these masks if they do indeed work better than Bahtinov masks. I made one with my laser cutter, and it didn't work nearly as well as the bahtinov mask that I made for my telescope (152mm achromat). I was fairly convinced by the article, but it appears that something is off in the calculations.

Edit: Has anyone else tried making one of these and comparing them to a Bahtinov (or other) focusing mask? I'd like to have some more data points.

Edited by jbalsam (01/26/13 07:08 PM)

jhayes_tucson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/26/12

Loc: Bend, OR
Re: Fraunhofer Diffraction - A Primer new [Re: jbalsam]
      #5673317 - 02/10/13 11:49 PM

"So where is the entrance pupil? For most practical purposes it can be considered as lying immediately in front of the objective, and to have a diameter equal to the objective's clear aperture. In reality it either lies at infinity, or a considerable distance in front of the objective. Because star light entering a telescope from an astronomical object is parallel, the distinction in practice does not matter."

I don't want to get too picky with you guys but I need to make a correction here: the distinction does indeed matter. The entrance pupil is the image of the stop in object space. For a Newtonian (or simple refractor,) the stop is at the objective (the primary mirror surface or the lens) and the entrance pupil lies in the same location--not at infinity. Remember, the chief ray (which defines the maximum field angle) passes through the center of the stop and the pupils (both entrance and exit pupils). Telecentric systems have the stop imaged at infinity so that the chief ray is parallel to the optical axis. Simple telescopes are not telecentric. The exit pupil, on the other hand, is the image of the stop in image space. If you forget about an eyepiece and consider the intensity distribution in the focal plane, these calculations simply look at the effect on PSF for binary apodization of the exit pupil--assuming no wavefront errors.

One other thing to understand about these type of FFT calculation is that the results are only an approximation of what you will actually realize in an optical system. The results are close but there are aliasing and leakage effects (energy leaks from one Fourier period into surrounding periods) that cause small errors. If you know what to look for, you can see a lot of this stuff in these results (mainly because of the low sampling rate.) In order to show what these patterns will do as you add a lot of defocus, you need to use a near-field, Fresnel model. Far field computations can accurately model only a few waves (<5-10 ?) of defocus.

John

jbalsam
sage

Reged: 07/06/12

Loc: Darnestown, MD
Re: Fraunhofer Diffraction - A Primer new [Re: jhayes_tucson]
      #5712879 - 03/04/13 04:42 PM

That explanation seems to agree with my experimental results. Thanks for adding to my understanding.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2301

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics