Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
mloffland

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Norman, Oklahoma
Tasco 10x50 Binoculars
      #3506908 - 12/17/09 03:18 PM

Tasco 10x50 Binoculars

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bodypuncher

Reged: 10/10/11

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Re: Tasco 10x50 Binoculars new [Re: mloffland]
      #4917559 - 11/15/11 05:01 PM

I recently bought these for my young kids to use instead of my more expensive binocs. The collimation was way off, seeing double. On the plus side, closing one eye the images were sharp and very clear. So if you are lucky to get a pair that is in collimation instead of a lemon like I got,these are nice for $20. The Tascos were much lighter in weight than my Garrett's so I disassembled them out of curiosity knowing I could not return them after that - but it was an educational (for me) $20 experiement. The tubes were a soft molded plastic. Shelves were molded internally that the prisms rested on, being held in place by metal spring clips. I could not figure out any way to adjust collimation.

mountainking

Reged: 01/26/11

Loc: new paris,ohio
Re: Tasco 10x50 Binoculars new [Re: bodypuncher]
      #4920802 - 11/17/11 12:40 PM

I also picked up a pair of the Tasco zip 10x50s. I was curious about what you got for 25 bucks. These are actually not that bad for what they cost. Mine were out collimation as well,but there are set scews on the prism housings. One is right behind the front hinge and the other is in front of the rear prism cover on top. The right image was higher than the left so a very small turn of the right set screw brought it inline. The views are very crisp and bright with about 50% of the field being sharp, it gets soft the rest of the way out but not too bad, at night it is more noticable,the stars are tight in the middle 50% and degrade pretty quick the rest of the way out. Coatings are not too bad either even the front prism face is coated. So if your budget is tight or you want to just dip your toe in binocular astronomy or nature viewing I think your getting quite bit for 25 bucks.

bodypuncher

Reged: 10/10/11

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Re: Tasco 10x50 Binoculars new [Re: mountainking]
      #4922481 - 11/18/11 11:28 AM

I'm glad to hear you had a better experience than I did with the Tascos. I did not find the screws you mentioned on mine and they were disassembled to satisfy my $20 curiosity and then discarded. I then purchased Nikon Action 7x35 binoculars for about $70 to share with my children. They are quite nice.

mountainking

Reged: 01/26/11

Loc: new paris,ohio
Re: Tasco 10x50 Binoculars new [Re: bodypuncher]
      #4922593 - 11/18/11 12:32 PM

Buying cheaper binos is really a gamble especialy when they are in a blister pack. Those prism set screws are under the rubber that covers the prism housing. I've also got the nikon 7x35 action and its become the one I use the most.

ed_turco
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Lincoln, RI
Re: Tasco 10x50 Binoculars new [Re: mountainking]
      #4936304 - 11/26/11 07:53 PM

Go for the Tasco binoculars made in the 1960s. All metal and glass; no plastic, and the performance is genuinely sharp.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3369

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics