Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
mloffland

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Norman, Oklahoma
Bushnell Northstar 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain
      #3543151 - 01/06/10 11:46 AM

Bushnell Northstar 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
okaragozian

Reged: 01/13/12

Re: Bushnell Northstar 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain new [Re: mloffland]
      #5016820 - 01/14/12 10:06 AM

I guess the inference made by Mike is that the review article about the Northstar 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain was ill conceived and somewhat unworthy. I disagree. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

This particular item, the Bushnell Northstar, is a re-brand of a Chinese tube assembly which is also used by Orion, and possibly Celestron, Mead and Ioptron coupled to a variety of GO-TO astronomical mounts and tripods.

The Bushnell Northstar may not be an Observatory grade telescope, but that budding amateur astronomers do need a starting point. The Maksutov design offers good visual quality in a compact package and at a reasonable price. Not everyone has the money and space available to purchase a large aperture, $1,000+, telescope.

I think that the idea of “If you can’t afford a BMW, you shouldn’t be driving” is rather snobbish. Some people can only afford an inexpensive car, sometimes not even a new car from the dealership.

If a person can afford a few hundred dollars, as opposed to the $99 special at the local Walmart of a 60mm refractor, then so be it. Lest we not all forget our history where Galileo observed the moons of Jupiter and other celestial objects using a more rudimentary device than what we all have today.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Bushnell Northstar 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain new [Re: okaragozian]
      #5017149 - 01/14/12 01:15 PM

Quote:

I guess the inference made by Mike is that the review article about the Northstar 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain was ill conceived and somewhat unworthy. I disagree. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

This particular item, the Bushnell Northstar, is a re-brand of a Chinese tube assembly which is also used by Orion, and possibly Celestron, Mead and Ioptron coupled to a variety of GO-TO astronomical mounts and tripods.

The Bushnell Northstar may not be an Observatory grade telescope, but that budding amateur astronomers do need a starting point. The Maksutov design offers good visual quality in a compact package and at a reasonable price. Not everyone has the money and space available to purchase a large aperture, $1,000+, telescope.

I think that the idea of “If you can’t afford a BMW, you shouldn’t be driving” is rather snobbish. Some people can only afford an inexpensive car, sometimes not even a new car from the dealership.

If a person can afford a few hundred dollars, as opposed to the $99 special at the local Walmart of a 60mm refractor, then so be it. Lest we not all forget our history where Galileo observed the moons of Jupiter and other celestial objects using a more rudimentary device than what we all have today.

I'm afraid that I don't really see any "inference" being made here. Mike Loffland says nothing about the article (or anything else) at all. All I see is his posting of the article and his quoted "saying" in his signature, which appears in every posting that he makes. That saying isn't a comment on anything in particular, any more than my signature's saying "If you aren't having fun in this hobby, you aren't doing it right", is. Clear skies to you.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Bushnell Northstar 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain new [Re: mloffland]
      #5017368 - 01/14/12 03:29 PM

Thanks for the review Kenny!

I'm putting the Celestron branded version through its paces right now.

Regards,

Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Bushnell Northstar 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain new [Re: okaragozian]
      #5017371 - 01/14/12 03:32 PM

Mike (and the other moderators who put our reviews up on this forum) do not comment on the articles. They just hot link them.

You're looking at Mike's signature I suspect. That appears at the end of every post he makes, and given that it is a signature, it's a comment on Mike and his outlook, and not a statement about anyone or anything else.

I bet you feel a little silly and defensive now, don't you? Not a big deal. Hang in there.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (01/14/12 03:53 PM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Bushnell Northstar 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5017403 - 01/14/12 03:55 PM

And David, how *dare* you criticize the fact that I choose to enjoy the hobby by NOT enjoying it!

- Jim

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2507

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics