Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Kris.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/04

Loc: Belgium
quick joint mars sketch 07/01
      #3547812 - 01/08/10 01:15 PM

this is a mars sketch from memory of some quick views from yesterday evening on the snow-covered parking lot at the local astro-club using Jef De Wit's telescope. he had dragged me there to share some general information and tips on how to observe mars with some clubmembers i hope they learned something and will give mars a try in the coming weeks.

after a few drinks at the bar we went outside to observe the planet. seeing went up from poor to average but sadly Jef's very nice orion optics 12" f/4 scope wasn't properly cooled down, coming out of a car and then placed on the freezing ground, the mirror didn't really stood a chance without a fan!

we nevertheless managed to spot some detail through the blur, using an apodizing mask seemed like turning the poor seeing into average seeing. the first thing we could see after our eyes got adapted to the bright planet was the polar cap, after some time everyone agreed the dark edge surrounding it was also easily visible. the planet was then only about 25° high in the sky.

after some more viewing people started spotting the wider, but less-dark-than-the-polar-cap-edge strip on the southern hemisphere of mare sirenum, mare cimmerium & a bit of mare tyrrhenum. no detail within was seen though.

after some more time, with my toes almost frozen off because i didn't expect it would be clear and so wasn't properly dressed for observing, we caught glimpses of the two darker markings bordering the slightly brighter area of elysium to the left and right. i guess the right one is the hyblaeus extension and the left one phlegra?

the following (right) limb was covered in haze, as was part of the preceding (left) limb, but a little less.

the area south (above) the mare cimmerum area looked brighter than is shown on the sketch.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: quick joint mars sketch 07/01 new [Re: Kris.]
      #3548126 - 01/08/10 03:26 PM

Kris

Thanks a lot for coming to our astroclub. We learned a lot about Mars. I hope you will see the planet next time with a cooled down scope, instead of your feet

dweller25
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Lancashire, UK
Re: quick joint mars sketch 07/01 new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #3548234 - 01/08/10 04:13 PM

Kris, Jef,

You are very dedicated.

Over here in the UK it is -12'C so it much be the same for you.

Too cold for me !!!

Shannon s
sage

Reged: 06/21/09

Loc: Bartow FL.
Re: quick joint mars sketch 07/01 new [Re: dweller25]
      #3548328 - 01/08/10 05:08 PM

All that and still a decent sketch! Do it Kris!

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: quick joint mars sketch 07/01 new [Re: Shannon s]
      #3548969 - 01/08/10 10:41 PM

Kris and Jef,

Enjoyed reading the post. Great that you were able to get together. Kris- very nice sketch. It was also nice to see your other recent Mars sketch in ASOD today.

Frank

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 575

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics