Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
paul aldag

Reged: 09/15/08

Loc: madeira, portugal
Dec motor on CG-5 mount not working
      #3547829 - 01/08/10 01:23 PM

I have just purchased a new C8-SGT with CG-5 GEM to replace my ageing Meade DS70 telescope. The Dec motor does not respond at any point (the RA one does) and I have tried it with the clutch on and off without luck. The Dec balance seems perfect. If I use a GOTO command to any object from "home" the scope always moves in RA to the East for about 20 degrees, then moves slightly back and then, presumably, waits for the non-existant Dec movement to complete - which it never does.

As I live on the island of Madeira and have only just received the scope I do not want to have to resort to sending it back, is there anything I can do to check or test the Dec motor to see if it is actually working (the cable is connected) ?

When I tried to perform the first 2 star align the stars selected were all in the southern hemisphere (Lat/Long were correct) so I have restored the factory defaults but this has not affected the Dec motor problem.

Any ideas ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JayKSC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/05

Loc: Florida
Re: Dec motor on CG-5 mount not working new [Re: paul aldag]
      #3547964 - 01/08/10 02:13 PM

In the past month I've read about several CG5 mounts having trouble with their declination motor drives. Unfortunately, mine completely died on me a few years ago. Since I rarely used the scope's go-to features, I never bothered to have it repaired. Hopefully someone has an idea for testing and repairing your declination drive. Sorry to read of your mount troubles.

- Jay
South Florida

PHampson
sage

Reged: 10/25/05

Loc: Nashville, TN
Re: Dec motor on CG-5 mount not working new [Re: JayKSC]
      #3548033 - 01/08/10 02:38 PM

The most likely culprit is the plug-in cable going from the side panel to the DEC motor. Not an uncommon problem. Clean all of the contacts for the cable and make sure it is seating properly on both ends. If that's not it, you may have a problem with the internal motor control boards and the mount will need to go back.

Good Luck.

Paul

paul aldag

Reged: 09/15/08

Loc: madeira, portugal
Re: Dec motor on CG-5 mount not working new [Re: PHampson]
      #3549281 - 01/09/10 07:04 AM

Many thanks for the quick replies. I will check the cable and see if that is the problem.

bebert
sage

Reged: 07/21/08

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Dec motor on CG-5 mount not working new [Re: paul aldag]
      #3565160 - 01/16/10 08:38 PM

If you can locate a fault is it possible to order the part w/out having to send the entire mount back to the factory?

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: Dec motor on CG-5 mount not working new [Re: bebert]
      #3565192 - 01/16/10 09:03 PM

Are you getting any error messages on your hand controller?

Patrick

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Dec motor on CG-5 mount not working new [Re: bebert]
      #3565193 - 01/16/10 09:03 PM

Quote:

If you can locate a fault is it possible to order the part w/out having to send the entire mount back to the factory?

Yes. If the problem is the encoder board (part of the motor assembly) it'll cost $28 plus $10 shipping for a complete new motor assembly. I know only because I replaced one on my mount a few weeks ago. It's easy to swap the RA and DEC motors to see if that's the trouble.

bebert
sage

Reged: 07/21/08

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Dec motor on CG-5 mount not working new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #3566014 - 01/17/10 11:28 AM

Nice to know that!

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 461

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics