Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
Dec09 CN Sketching/Imaging Contest Poll! new
      #3533163 - 01/01/10 09:34 AM

We are very pleased and proud to present the December 2009 Sketching Semi-Finalists in the Imaging/Sketching Contest.

starquake:

The life of the ionized tail of a meteor

On November 24, 2009 I was sketching the marvelous open cluster of NGC 1662 at 100x. Just after I finished and took a final look, at 00:18 UT suddenly a fiery meteor rushed through the FoV, leaving a bluish ionized tail behind. This was visible for about 10 seconds before it disappeared forever.

The series of sketches I've rendered digitally after quick drafts made at the eyepiece, using my actual NGC 1662 sketch as a background. As you can see, the tail was quickly moving to the North (thanks to the Dobsonian mount I was able to react and follow very quickly). While it constantly lost its brightness, it became wider and wider, and the most interesting phenomenon was the change of its shape: it got 'broken' at several points. Between each of these points, the tail remained straight. The joints were visibly brighter than the straight parts, just like on the sketch. I wonder if this is the regular behaviour of ionized tails of meteors, but this is what I saw.

Anyhow, it was the greatest 10 seconds of my observing life.

Equipment used: GSO 12" f/5 dob, GSO SuperView 15mm EP, normal copier paper with HB pencil for the background, digital technique for the meteor and its tail.

Aldebaran:

This is my humble contribution to the last sketching contest of this year and decade!

Object: The Sword of Orion
Date: 21/22.11.2009
Time: 23.00
Instrument: Lens 3''
Observing site: Parainen, Finland
Conditions: NELM 6,3; clear sky

Jef De Wit:

My first contribution to the contest. Just to make the competition a little bit bigger. I hope that will have more than one vote

This is my first detailed moonsketch with my little refractor (7cm). I experimented with a black pencil (together with the white pencil) and it worked well. You can easily add some small black details with it.

Crater Baily, 30/11/2009, 20.00-21.15 UT, ETX-70 @ x150, white and black pencil on black paper, scanned and mirrored, no changes made with the computer, it is a real "eyepiece-sketch"

Roel:

Monday night (dec 07) I couldn't sleep... After staring at the ceiling for about an hour I decided to get out of bed and take my 1962 Polarex (Unitron) 3" equatorial outside for a quick look at Mars. The seeing was a bit poor. Normally I can push this amazing telescope up to 300x, but this night 200x was on the edge. But!
The following amazing view of tiny Mars didn't quite help me to get sleepy again! For the first time in my life I saw the polar ice cap. It was much bigger and bighter than I expected. What a thrill, and how unexpected! The apparent diameter is only 10 arc seconds, and my scope's diameter isn't all that big too. A very nice surprise! This certainly was one of those nights I'll remember for a long time. To see something that beautiful that unexpected makes this hobby so wonderful.

Here's the pencil sketch I made (altered with Photoshop, N=down W=right)

Jeff Young:

The Pegasus I galaxy cluster, sketched last month from County Louth, Ireland with a 16" Mak-Cass at 100X. HB pencil on 150gsm white paper, scanned and inverted in Photoshop.

TenthEnemy:

Struck by the beauty of a thin crescent moon and Jupiter casting a soft glow onto the snowy hillside, I was compelled to sketch this scene that followed the recent east-coast blizzard. I made this naked-eye sketch on 20 December 2009 using pastel chalk and black paper.

Kris.:

Mars as seen on december 28 thru my 8" dob at 357x.

Please note that voting will conclude on January 8th at Midnight EST.

Many thanks to all who took part in the contest!

Which Sketch goes to the Finals?
Users may choose only one (15 total votes)
starquake:
-
1 06%
Aldebaran:
-
1 06%
Jef De Wit:
-
2 13%
Roel:
-
2 13%
Jeff Young:
-
3 20%
TenthEnemy:
-
2 13%
Kris.:
-
4 26%

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
Re: Dec09 CN Sketching/Imaging Contest Poll! new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #3549869 - 01/09/10 01:32 PM

Please join me in congratulating your December 2009 Finalist - Kris.:

Mars as seen on december 28 thru my 8" dob at 357x.

Best of luck to you in the finals, Kris.!

markseibold
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/19/08

Loc: Portland Oregon
Re: Dec09 CN Sketching/Imaging Contest Poll! new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #3551154 - 01/10/10 06:17 AM

Kris

Congratulations on winning the December '09 sketch contest with your fine detailed sketch of Mars. Good luck in the mid-month finals.

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

“My mission responsibilities range over the entire operation of the ship so I am constantly occupied; I’m putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity could ever hope to do.”
-HAL 9000

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Dec09 CN Sketching/Imaging Contest Poll! new [Re: markseibold]
      #3551209 - 01/10/10 07:24 AM

@Kris
Congratulations with your beautiful Mars sketch!

@all
It was a honour to lose against all those beautiful sketches this month! And thanks for the other person who voted for me

Kris.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/04

Loc: Belgium
Re: Dec09 CN Sketching/Imaging Contest Poll! new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #3551434 - 01/10/10 10:21 AM

thanks guys, this was a nice contest with a wide variety of different subjects from the moon over deepsky, planets, naked-eye sketch and even the rare event of a meteorite!
they were all excellent so i'm honoured!

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Dec09 CN Sketching/Imaging Contest Poll! new [Re: Kris.]
      #3553218 - 01/11/10 12:33 AM

Kris,

Congratulations! This was a very good close contest. Every sketch here was an excellent cross section of the best in the sketching forum. This Mars sketch is terrific.

Frank

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: Dec09 CN Sketching/Imaging Contest Poll! new [Re: frank5817]
      #3553299 - 01/11/10 02:06 AM

Kris,

Congratulations on your excellent observation of Mars being chosen as the winning entry for the December, 2009 Sketching/Imaging Contest. That is a fine observation that deserves recognition.

Carlos

starquake
sage

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Nádasdladány
Re: Dec09 CN Sketching/Imaging Contest Poll! new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #3553317 - 01/11/10 02:23 AM

Kris, congratulations, you've submitted a really excellent sketch! I wish I ever saw so many details on Mars, but I have no chance with my regular seeing.

Many thanks for the person who voted for my meteor.

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Dec09 CN Sketching/Imaging Contest Poll! new [Re: starquake]
      #3554174 - 01/11/10 01:46 PM

Starquake, did you voted for someone else??

starquake
sage

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Nádasdladány
Re: Dec09 CN Sketching/Imaging Contest Poll! [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #3555521 - 01/12/10 01:52 AM

Sure, I always vote on someone else or not vote at all. I won't tell you who I voted for, but he won.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics