Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: CGEM pedestal new [Re: oo_void]
      #5703558 - 02/27/13 01:52 PM

Metric - M6

I bought mine at a hardware store and they were a little to long so I cut them down to 36mm and then attached a 2mm washer followed by an 18mm long metal sleeve using some glue. The washer and sleeve are necessary because you need to push the knob out away from the mount so it does not hit the mount. That leaves 16mm's of threaded area still exposed to attach the mount.

I think the M6-30mm at Scopestuff will probably be to short. Try an ACE hardware if you have one nearby. I found my bolts and sleeves at Elliot's hardware, but I think they are just a local chain. You can forget about Lowes and Home Depot they don't carry stuff like this in Metric sizes.

If you have never cut a bolt like this, you just need a hacksaw and a file. You have to file all the rough spots away and make a new starting groove on the bolt. Otherwise your bolt could destroy the aluminum threads on the mount. Best to get a 6mm nut and get it working with that first before you try to attach it to the mount.

Edited by Lane (02/27/13 02:20 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
oo_void
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/13/09

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: CGEM pedestal new [Re: Lane]
      #5704102 - 02/27/13 07:35 PM

Thanks Lane, very helpful ...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3525

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics