Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
eric_zeiner
Phoenix's Dad

Reged: 12/09/06

Loc: Georgia USA 34 31'57.18N 83 53...
Expanding Foam
      #3568242 - 01/18/10 11:58 AM

I have a scope that I just got and I was thinking of filling the upper and lower parts of the tripod legs with some rigid expanding polyurethane foam. My reasons are to stiffen the legs, reduce vibration and add a bit of mass to the entire assembly. Any thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kaizu
sage

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Finland
Re: Expanding Foam new [Re: eric_zeiner]
      #3568470 - 01/18/10 01:38 PM

You'll get two of three, not mass. You have to open both ends of the pipes before filling them.
Also don't do that in the living room, it's quit dirty job.

Kaizu

sailor70623
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/12/08

Loc: Ok.
Re: Expanding Foam new [Re: Kaizu]
      #3568486 - 01/18/10 01:45 PM

I have filled the lower section of those cheap aluminum legs with sand and capped with Great Stuff. Wrap some sarran wrap around the top of the leg so you won't have to clean it up later and work over news paper, this stuff can get messy. Let it dry before removing any extra. It's much easier to cut and won't stick to everything then. I have filled the top sections with just great stuff. Yes it makes them a bit stiffer. I didn't remove both ends though, just the tops and stcuck the tube from the can as deep a I could get it and sprayed for a few seconds. It expands quite a bit. I just used a drill bit by hand to re-open where the bolts go.

The sand in the lower sections will decrease vibration and make the tripod more stable. Also heavier. It's a nice improvement.

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 377

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics