Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
SimonC

Reged: 07/14/09

HEQ5 Piller Mount new
      #3567909 - 01/18/10 08:30 AM

I am trying to weigh up the pros and cons of a home made concrete piller or a steel piller. To be honest price is the biggest issue. I have seen the following piller mount for HEQ5 http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_accessories/telescope_mountings/pillar_mount_support_for_heq5_and__eq6_mountings_including_pro_models

It is £179. I am wondering if this would be suitable for astro photography if I was to bolt the legs to a concrete base. I would be using a 10" Skywatcher reflector on a HEQ5 mount.

If I was to purchase this, I was thinking of sinking threaded rod bolts into the concrete foundation that would site either side of each leg and use a steel plate to bolt down the legs.

I dont think I could do it any cheaper than this. If I was to build a concrete pier and buy pier adapter plates, I would be looking at about £400 and have no option to reuse the pier if I was to move house.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Southpaw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/03

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: HEQ5 Piller Mount new [Re: SimonC]
      #3568084 - 01/18/10 10:36 AM

I had one of these with an LXD-75 on it. It was a very sturdy set up. I did not have mine mounted in concrete but would simply carry the whole set up outside and set the legs on some concrete stepping stones I had buried in the ground a little. This is in my book more sturdy than a tripod.

I think what you are planning to do would work great. My only concern would be isolating the concrete the the pier is connected to from what I was walking on.

Good luck!

SimonC

Re: HEQ5 Piller Mount new [Re: Southpaw]
      #3568105 - 01/18/10 10:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback Chad.

The mount will be going in an observatory that is yet to be built. So the Concrete slab will be under and seperate from the floor that I will be walking on.

sailor70623
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/12/08

Loc: Ok.
Re: HEQ5 Piller Mount new [Re: SimonC]
      #3568492 - 01/18/10 01:47 PM

Should work fine.

SimonC

Re: HEQ5 Piller Mount [Re: sailor70623]
      #3568635 - 01/18/10 03:03 PM

I made the decission and purchase the piller today from telescopeplanet.co.uk. I can get on with laying the slab and building the observatory now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
21 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 495

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics