Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/24/06

Loc: Crozet VA 22932
The rest of the story
      #3573741 - 01/20/10 10:07 PM

On the Beginners Forum we stuck a picture from Uganda, where children were looking through a little Vernon scope after we got through a lesson with the local school teachers. The story of the picture is on the thread (Beginners .... in Uganda). The part not mentioned is that the lesson with the teachers was sketching oriented. We got them all to try some more sketching to give them a bit more practice getting star positions correct on a sketch. A few days before we had handed out the awards to the students as well as commendations to the three teachers who took the time during the last school year to get the kids to start looking up to see the heavens.

The time on this particular night (when we took the photo) was still rushed, and teachers were headed into a 2 month break time that continues to February, when the 2010 school session starts. But we sent them off with planispheres and an encouragement to sketch more, and more, and more...whenever they look up. Each teacher submitted several sketches that we also reviewed and are on our site from a contest last year. They all did well, but they assured us that they were going to continue. You could see from their excitment that a new world has opened up for them. After the lesson with the teachers, we continued with the children, which is the story on the Beginners Forum.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: The rest of the story new [Re: rolandlinda3]
      #3574087 - 01/21/10 01:13 AM

Wonderful story Roland. And that is a fine photo. Your excellent work is paying off. I see eagerness there in the children's faces.

Frank

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: The rest of the story new [Re: frank5817]
      #3574098 - 01/21/10 01:25 AM

Roland,

I have to say this story inspired me. There is a magic when you watch a young person look through a telescope and describe what they are seeing, and perhaps eventual sketch it for some. There is nothing like seeing the excitement in their eyes. Thank you so much for sharing and inspiring me/us.

rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Re: The rest of the story new [Re: JayinUT]
      #3575824 - 01/21/10 09:51 PM

Thanks for the comments.

Jay, we had the same experience (seeing excitement) in a 4-session observing/sketching class with 20 teens from the next village. We showed them quick sketches during one class that we had done the night before. In those quick pencil sketches, we drew through our bedroom window as the full moon was rising--complete with bars in the windows included on mine and Linda included banana leaves from a tree that could be seen just below the moon. So when the time came for a class to stop the next day, we gave them each a piece of paper. We told them to go out that evening and sketch something in the sky and bring it back the next class (the next day). Half the sketches that came back were through windows or with trees in the background--with details that looked surprisingly close to our sketches. They wanted approval, and so much so they copied our technnique for their sketches. They were so excited to show us what they had done. We had to be careful to encourage them to be accurate and draw what they see....without curtailing their excitment.

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: The rest of the story new [Re: rolandlinda3]
      #3576334 - 01/22/10 03:45 AM

Roland,

What you and Linda provide for people around the world in need of a science education is very inspiring. Generations will appreciate all of your efforts.

Carlos

rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Re: The rest of the story new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #3577183 - 01/22/10 03:06 PM

Thanks Carlos. We enjoy the science of observing, but of course we point to the Starter of it all.

I referenced you during one of the classes: how you would (I do also) sketch under less-than-ideal conditions but find beautiful scenes that include clouds, or unique light effects in haze, or the ground context (trees, water, etc).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 579

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics