Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Don Trinko
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/05/09

Loc: Ohio
Orion dual telescope mount?
      #3574409 - 01/21/10 09:01 AM

Anyone have the Orion dual telescope mount. How do you like it? (the one for $429.00 that holds 2 scopes side by side)
Thanks; Don T.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
Re: Orion dual telescope mount? new [Re: Don Trinko]
      #3574901 - 01/21/10 01:37 PM

Have you checked out Explore Scientific's Giro clone alt az? It goes for S499, is on the same tripod as the Orion and looks very strong. I have a WO EZ which is a lot like the Orion. It's an excellent mount for my 7" mak and 4.3" refractor but my C 9.25 is way too much for it. David

Edited by dscarpa (01/21/10 01:41 PM)

Don Trinko
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/05/09

Loc: Ohio
Re: Orion dual telescope mount? new [Re: dscarpa]
      #3575233 - 01/21/10 04:29 PM

Thanks David. I will Check the giro clone out. I am familiar with the WO but it looks like I need to spend more money to get what I want.(another dove tail adapter, tripod) I will go that route if there is a problem with the Orion. I'm mostly concerned abought smooth movement. Don T.

Luigi
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/07

Loc: MA
      #3577062 - 01/22/10 02:01 PM

>>>I'm mostly concerned abought smooth movement.<<<

I have one and use one or both of my 16 lb OTAs on it. The shafts are supported in teflon bearings and are reasonably smooth, but there is some sticktion, which is proportional to how tight the friction is. Very little friction produces very little sticktion. More friction and the sticktion goes up too.

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
      #3577404 - 01/22/10 05:03 PM

Tne EZ is very smooth, tracking is a very easy even at high power. The thing I don't like about it is that the axis don't lock down when tightend like the do on my Giro and SW AZ4. The scope will often nose dive when a eyepiece is removed. If the mount is not level no amount of tightening will stop it from rotating, I have a counter weight on the mount. I don't know if the Orion has the same problem. David

John_G
sage

Reged: 01/18/10

Re: Orion dual telescope mount? new [Re: Luigi]
      #3577507 - 01/22/10 06:07 PM

Quote:

>>>I'm mostly concerned abought smooth movement.<<<

I have one and use one or both of my 16 lb OTAs on it. The shafts are supported in teflon bearings and are reasonably smooth, but there is some sticktion, which is proportional to how tight the friction is. Very little friction produces very little sticktion. More friction and the sticktion goes up too.

I notice this as well. On mine, I can also start to hear the bearings rubbing a little when I tighten the altitude axis.

drshr
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/09/08

Loc: Darwin, Australia
Re: Orion dual telescope mount? new [Re: John_G]
      #3578314 - 01/23/10 05:51 AM

It is a good mount and holds a decent weight. I find the small grub screws to be a weakness, making tightening difficult and allowing some slop to develop.
Check out the doublestar mount. Can handle more weight and avoids tripod interference.
Very difficult to find any info on the twilight ES mount.

Pages: 1

Extra information
21 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1670

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics