Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
graffias79
sage

Reged: 10/01/10

Loc: Madison, WI
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: graffias79]
      #4358578 - 02/02/11 04:20 PM Attachment (141 downloads)

Another view (Yeah 100 posts!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
graffias79
sage

#4358592 - 02/02/11 04:23 PM Attachment (94 downloads)

Now I can place it on the scope and removed it when I'm done. Between the very strong magnets and the friction from the foam, the Telrad stays put!

graffias79
sage

#4358597 - 02/02/11 04:24 PM

I guess it would help to mount it the other way around though! Haha!

skizoid

Reged: 01/12/11

Loc: 43.223N / -85.551W
      #4359037 - 02/02/11 07:27 PM

Those magnets are plenty strong and useful for all sorts of stuff. Never toss them!

I obviously don't have any problems hacking and slashing, but in the case of the Telrad, I wasn't all that sure I'll be happy with the location I chose. If you peek back, you'll see I mounted mine other side of the Zhumell sight. I do have to walk around the tube to use it, but no biggie - I can use the exercise. It's currently stuck to the OTA with 3M tape. If I decide I need to move it, just saw thru the center foam with some dental tape and roll the adhesive off with a finger. If I do find it's ok where it is, I <may> drill for screws, but ... after flattening out the inside surface of the telrad mount, there's all kinds of mounting surface, and the 3M tape is plenty strong and heat resistant enough to hold it in place permanently all by itself.

Jason D
Postmaster

Reged: 10/21/06

Loc: California
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: skizoid]
      #4359210 - 02/02/11 08:44 PM

More than a year ago I mounted my Telrad on a homemade wooden base then attached magnet to the bottom of the base. The wooden base works as a rise and it allows me to place it on the top of the finder scope dovetail base for better location.
Reference post

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Jason D]
      #4359599 - 02/02/11 11:29 PM

Use some computer duster in a can sprayed upside down on the adhesive. It will come off easier.

skizoid

#4359672 - 02/03/11 12:17 AM

I was thinking on how it would work to put a riser on the Telrad, then mount it between the eyepiece and spotter, only farther down the tube. Seems there'd be a sweet spot where you could see both easily with just a sweep of the mark one eyeball. That'd certainly work a bunch better from a Denver chair or some other such comfy perch.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
      #4360104 - 02/03/11 08:55 AM

On my Z8 and my Celestron 10" Newt, I place the Telrad on the far side of the optical finder, so that the optical finder is between the focuser and the Telrad. When the Telrad is between the focuser and optical finder, I feel that the Telrad is in the way, especially when it's on a riser. I have a 70mm optical finder that I attach to the 10" Newt for star-hopping at dark sites. I just use the Telrad to get in the general neighborhood of an object, so it doesn't matter if I need to lean up a bit to look through the Telrad. I don't spend a lot of time viewing through the Telrad.

I attach the Telrad by itself on my Z8. I mostly observe planets and the Moon at home through the Z8. The Telrad is good enough without an optical finder to sight planets or the Moon. Also, if I take the 10" Newt out at home, I just attach the Telrad without an optical finder. I only need to briefly position the Telrad on bright objects, I don't need to star hop to them, so I don't spend a lot of time sighting through the Telrad. In that case, it doesn't matter if I need to stand up and lean over the scope a bit.

I don't feel the need to move the Telrad to different positions on a scope. I bought a couple extra Telrad bases and used super-tacky adhesive tape to secure them to my scopes in the optimum position for me.

The only justification I could see to moving the Telrad to different positions on a scope is if I want to view from the opposite side of the OTA in order to prevent my body heat from disrupting the image when observing planets or the Moon. That might be justifiable in my 10", since the OTA is in rings and I can rotate the OTA. But it would not make sense in any scope that cannot be rotated. Other than that, I see no reason to be moving the Telrad around on a scope.

Mike

skizoid

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #4361814 - 02/03/11 10:10 PM

Good stuff - plenty food for thought.

Sounds like your setup is similar to mine then.

The couple times I've had the Z8 out, I haven't had any issues with walking around the back of the scope for quickie alignment with the Telrad. I CAN use it from the same side as the focuser, but it's just more comfortable. I did a dirty fit between the focuser and finder just for yuks, and like you found it to be a bit ... crowded. One other thing I want to try is mounting the Telrad on a riser directly behind the finder, just making sure there's enough room to get an eyeball in without poking it out. I figure that way, I can glance back to the Telrad, let it do it's thing, then just swivel into the eyepiece for fine tuning and hopping. Then again, I may just be able to get away with using the same mounting location, but further down the OTA. One way to find out.

I'm sure a lot of it is personal preference. In my case, I've got some weird discs in my back and neck, so I have to consider those when coming up with a plan.

Oh. Lookie what I scored on eBay.

No excuses for bad imaging now. AssUming I can figure out how to use them ... I did order a copy of the Tectron book, which I understand is real handy to have. Just came in today, so I haven't had a chance to play with them yet - should be interesting to see how it compares to what I got with the laser.

graffias79
sage

#4362312 - 02/04/11 06:42 AM

That's the beauty of magnets, I can mount it wherever I feel comfortable using it.

Battery pack magnetic mod coming soon.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#4362398 - 02/04/11 08:27 AM

skizoid,

Yes, that looks a lot like my setup for the Z8. For both my Z8 and the 10", I can sit down on an adjustable stool and view comfortably through focuser or optical finder without having to stand up. I do need to lean up and over a bit, or even stand, to view through the Telrad, but as I explained, that's really no big deal. I don't have to stand up and walk around to the back of the scope as you describe, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about there.

Positioning the Telrad or any other gizmo farther back on the OTA may not work out for you. I tried that when I experimented with mounting an ST80 on my 10" Newt. I placed it way back above the altitude bearings to make it easier to balance. But since the ST80 was so far down on the tube, it was difficult if not impossible to hunker down far enough to actually look through it, even though it had a RACI diagonal. Especially if you have back problems, it probably would not be a good idea to place the Telrad much farther down the OTA.

By the way, I decided not to use the ST80 on my 10". It was just too cumbersome and heavy for that setup. I use a much lighter 70mm finder that I put together from parts of different scopes.

Mike

rkayakr
sage

Reged: 10/27/10

Loc: Northeast Ohio
      #4363046 - 02/04/11 01:51 PM

I moved the right angle finder over 1/4" on my Z10 to fit the Telrad between the focuser and the finder with no riser. It is convenient, but when I use the finder I often breath on the Telrad diagonal and fog it up. A dew shield is next, but it will have to be low and tight to not block access to the finder.

skizoid

#4363759 - 02/04/11 07:21 PM

OK then - I do plan to leave it as is for now and see what happens. My biggest concern with going down the tube and higher was how much adjustment range the Telrad has. I see they do sell four inch risers, so I don't expect that would be an issue. Hadn't thought about the fogging issue - have to check that out. I've been wearing a balaclava when I'm out, Michigan being Michigan and all, and I can see where that might be the way to go till we're out of steamy breath season. Anyway, lots will depend on what the viewing angle is from the Denver chair when I get that built.

(This here astro-onomy stuff shore do keep a body buzy!)

UPS just left after dropping off my latest accessory.

FORE !!

I really like it! Folds up nice and small too. Thought I'd have to do some mods to fit the OTA properly, but it slides right in. The saddles would be a bit small for anything larger than an 8", but you could fix that by adding a couple rubber bumpers for the tube to sit on. Straps in and rides good too. The only contact points with the OTA are at the saddles, and I plan to felt those. I do need to mod up a new base for it - right now the fan sits right on it, and that's not good, especially for cross country.

Mag wheels too! Fastest scope at the meet!

$30 including S&H from Amazon. Not sure how they even make any money on something like that, but I ain't complaining.

Intech folding OTA holder ... er ... golf cart

poodle
sage

Reged: 01/21/05

Loc: Breckenridge, Texas
      #4431064 - 03/06/11 09:30 PM

OK I have read through the post several times and I would swear somewhere the screw sizes for the secondary adjustment were posted but I cannot find it. If anyone knows I would appreciate it if you would repost it. I am looking for secondary adj. screws on a Z12.
Thanks again.

Jason D
Postmaster

Reged: 10/21/06

Loc: California
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: poodle]
      #4431201 - 03/06/11 10:28 PM

Could it be this post?
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/4230621/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/vc/1

poodle
sage

#4431447 - 03/07/11 01:19 AM

No that one is for a screw for the finder holder but thanks anyway. I think the ones I am talking about are metric.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: poodle]
      #4431627 - 03/07/11 06:15 AM

Mag wheels too! Fastest scope at the meet!

Good one that. I am debating on a Telrad or a Rigelquick finder on my Z8. The RACI needs fine tuning.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Maverick199]
      #4431792 - 03/07/11 08:39 AM

I have a Telrad and a Quikfinder. The Quickfinder has a much smaller footprint on the OTA. I've mostly used that on my smaller scopes. It can also fit on big binos, but I discovered I don't really need a finder for binos. You can buy an add-on for the Quikfinder so it can use rechargeable AAA batteries. The Quikfinder also has a setting to adjust the blinking rate of the light. The Telrad does not blink, but you can buy an add-on for that. I hardly ever use the blinker on my Quikfinder, so I never bought one for the Telrad. I don't spend a lot of time with either of these finders. I just use them to get in the neighborhood of an object, then I use the optical finder to star hop closer.

On the negative side, the Quikfinder does not have the outer 4 degree circle that the Telrad has. (That never mattered to me because, as I said, I just use these bulls-eye finders to get in the general neighborhood. I don't use them to star hop.) The Quikfinder is easier to break, because it has a more vertical profile than the Telrad. Also, the plastic tab which attaches the Quikfinder to the mount is easy to break. Mine is nearly broken off now, which makes it less securely mounted when attached to the OTA.

On balance, I would advise the Telrad for a Z8 or larger scope.

Mike

MikePDX

Reged: 01/15/09

Loc: Portland, OR
      #4435297 - 03/08/11 04:06 PM

Steve - The secondary adjustment screws are M4 x 35mm for my Z8 - I used socket caps screws and added a Press-Loc knob. The tough part is not in finding screws long enough it's in finding screws that are fully threaded. I finally did and had to purchase a dozen. For some reason I have 9 left over. PM if you are interested and I would be glad send you a set.

poodle
sage

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: MikePDX]
      #4441026 - 03/10/11 09:02 PM

Thanks Mike for the info. What is a press-loc knob?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45228

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics