Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | (show all)
St Pete Keith

Reged: 10/09/10

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: St Pete Keith]
      #5983271 - 07/21/13 04:30 PM Attachment (110 downloads)

Almost complete...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: St Pete Keith]
      #5983331 - 07/21/13 05:20 PM

Quote:

Almost complete...

Well HOLY BLEEP!! look at that!!! Man I wished I had tools and patients to do something like this. I would like to get a Z12 and make it a truss. That is looking good, what else do you still need to do?

St Pete Keith

Reged: 10/09/10

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: AstroTatDad]
      #5984062 - 07/22/13 06:37 AM

The base is next, need to make it a bit more stable. Should be done in a week or so.

petrus45
sage

Reged: 01/31/11

Loc: SW Ohio / N Ky.
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: skizoid]
      #5993843 - 07/27/13 10:58 PM

Quote:

I see you're also not a big fan of the standard Telrad mount. All the empty pockets underneath don't leave much in the way of taping surface ... altho I do see they make handy places to put ceramic magnets! <G> Plan B for me, yet again. I just got done filling the base with bondo. Put a couple layers of wax paper on the OTA, then pressed the wet plastic into place so it's a perfect match for the Z8 tube. I got some peel 'n stick magnet tape that I'll cover the entire base with for now. Eventually, when I find the perfect sweet spot for the Telrad, I'll tap a couple holes and mount it permanently with screws and 3m tape. I got it roughed out right now. Skin coat, paint so the tape sticks, and I'm good to go. Still haven't figured out the best place to mount it ...

Brilliant solution for affixing strip magnets to the bottom of the Telrad! I happened to have some left over Bondo from patching up the rust on the old van, and used it for the Telrad base. The Bondo is easy to work with and dries pretty light. Once those magnets are glued on with some Super 77, it snaps onto the Z10 with no gaps - fits like a glove.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: petrus45]
      #6002379 - 08/01/13 11:54 PM

Clever use for the empty pockets inside the base. Instantly installed and removed = no mistake holes in tube.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: kfiscus]
      #6017295 - 08/10/13 10:08 AM Attachment (92 downloads)

Me with my finished (?) Mega-modded Z12 at the 2013 Nebraska Star Party. This is the main scope in my signature. Note carbon-based go to.

Photo by Bob Runyan.

bleep

Reged: 08/06/12

#6059252 - 09/02/13 01:13 PM Attachment (74 downloads)

Here is what I did to my AD10. As soon as I unboxed it I took it all apart and flocked the tube. I cut the flocking paper into square tiles which made the job way easier for me. I only use 4 eyepieces so the bigger eyepiece holder works perfect. I keep the 2" twist lock adapter on the 1.25" eyepieces and not have to worry about switching the adapter back and forth. I used a hole saw to cut a notch out for the setting circle and a little nail for the pointer. Double sided taped a small bubble level on the base and use a magnetic digital inclinometer on the tube. I switched the positions of the Telrad and RACI cause every time I looked into the finder I was breathing on and fogging up the Telrad. This way works much better for me. I replaced the focuser tension screw with a hex screw because I kept tightening and loosening the wrong one when viewing. Heavier springs were added to the primary and a milk jug washer to the secondary. Finally i added a strip of moleskin to the other side of the bearings holders on the base. There was a little bit of play and I had to put the object on the top half of the the view to let it drop into the center. This made it a little tighter and now I can center the object much better. Next is to figure a holder for the Nexus 7. Here's a couple pics of what I've done so far.

Edited by bleep (09/02/13 01:15 PM)

bleep

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: bleep]
      #6059259 - 09/02/13 01:17 PM Attachment (60 downloads)

more pics

bleep

#6059264 - 09/02/13 01:19 PM Attachment (59 downloads)

Finally

Billytk
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/12

Loc: Lake Mary, Fl.
      #6059447 - 09/02/13 02:50 PM

Where did you get the hex screw for the focuser and what size is it?

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Billytk]
      #6059507 - 09/02/13 03:27 PM

Any hobby shop with RC cars and airplanes (my other debt inducing hobby) should have the screws in metric. Take the original along to match the size.

bleep

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: tag1260]
      #6060343 - 09/03/13 12:41 AM

I got the hex screw at Lowes. I took the original in with me and used the display they have to size it. its an M4-.7x10mm but I had to grind it down a little so it wouldn't stick out so far.

sslcm56

Reged: 07/20/12

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
      #6060390 - 09/03/13 01:39 AM

Has anybody tried to install boundary layer fans on their AD/Z scope? I was wondering if it would be worth it. Beside I am scared to cut into the side of my scope. Would I really need to cut holes on the opposite side of the tube for exhaust?

MrJones
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/15/10

Loc: Indiana
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: sslcm56]
      #6060990 - 09/03/13 12:36 PM

I've certainly thought about it! My idea is one hole (on the "top") and one fan wired to the stock fan. I don't see any need for exhaust with that giant hole at the top and I would actually like to avoid any more ways for dust to get on the mirror. So it's either that or redo the bottom with a baffle and more fans.

sslcm56

Reged: 07/20/12

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: MrJones]
      #6060998 - 09/03/13 12:49 PM

Quote:

I've certainly thought about it! My idea is one hole (on the "top") and one fan wired to the stock fan. I don't see any need for exhaust with that giant hole at the top and I would actually like to avoid any more ways for dust to get on the mirror. So it's either that or redo the bottom with a baffle and more fans.

There is a thread that talks about thermal management with links to several articles by Brian somebody. He has a boundary layer fan and says that you should have exhaust holes equal to the area of the fan blowing on the mirror. I'm with you tho I don't want more holes than necessary in the tube. I do want to baffle the bottom also. I just think it would be a great help.

Edited by sslcm56 (09/03/13 12:50 PM)

MrJones
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/15/10

Loc: Indiana
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: sslcm56]
      #6062230 - 09/04/13 07:38 AM

An exhaust hole would probably give you better airflow over the mirror but I am also looking to do something about tube currents which were also a problem for me last winter.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: MrJones]
      #6065424 - 09/05/13 11:45 PM

I have no fear of drilling a few small holes in body tubes for mounting accessories but drilling large holes gives me pause. The steel is quite thin. Be sure of what you're doing and where.

Tim L
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/08

Loc: Missouri
      #6066464 - 09/06/13 04:10 PM

I thought I read on some thread somewhere that when mounting fans in the side of the tube it's better to change the direction of the fan to blow out rather than in--the hole on the opposite side becomes intake rather than exhaust.

I don't know if I'll ever add a boundary fan. I think I'll be doing good just to screw my Rigel base to the tube directly instead of using the double-sided tape.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Tim L]
      #6067584 - 09/07/13 10:55 AM

I've always read that having a side fan blow across the boundary layer of the primary mirror is best. The idea is to (1) disrupt the boundary layer and then (2) exhaust the thermals. You do this by having the fan blow across the surface of the primary toward venting holes on the opposite side. Some people have a sucking fan on that opposite side to help vent the OTA.

Are you talking about drilling holes to screw a Rigel QuickFinder to the OTA? Why do that? Just use double-sided tape. The QuickFinder is light weight. Tape is fine. You might change your mind about the position. IMO, drilling holes for light weight accessories like QuickFinders and Telrads is not a good idea.

Mike

Tim L
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/08

Loc: Missouri
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6073408 - 09/10/13 03:20 PM

Mike,
I've done the two-sided tape for my Rigel, but the high summer heat weakens it (and the Rigel falls off). I'd prefer to have the bracket mounted permanently and just leave the Rigel in place rather than risk breaking that little tab by putting it off and on all the time.

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45132

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics