Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)
banjo
journeyman

Reged: 08/09/13

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Tim L]
      #6073492 - 09/10/13 04:07 PM

I really admire you guys that made your own setting circles, but I don't have your patience, so I purchased the Halo setting circle from opticsmart.com. It arrived today, and even though it was a little expensive, I'm really pleased with what I received. The base and built-in setting circle fit my Z8 perfectly & was easy to sit up with no problems or hassles. The quality of the parts is excellent - as is the workmanship. The base has 3 adjustable legs for leveling, and there is a built-in compass & level, which work great. The 3 pages of instructions were well written and easy to follow. I also received a battery powered red LED to light the pointer & it works well. I also bought on Amazon an iGaging digital level with built in magnets to attach to the tube, and it works great. All together I spent about $180.00, and I consider it a good investment.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sslcm56

Reged: 07/20/12

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: banjo]
      #6073964 - 09/10/13 09:24 PM

As you can see I also use the HALO setting circles. I absolutely enjoy using them. Once you get used to them you will be able to find anything you want much sooner then you might think. I just wish I could find an EQ platform that they will fit. I just may have to find a kit that I can mod.
I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Steve

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: sslcm56]
      #6074050 - 09/10/13 10:25 PM

At home, I only use my Z8 for the Moon and planets. Don't need setting circles for them.

Mike

rinalmj
sage

Reged: 11/23/09

Loc: Saxonburg, PA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6074821 - 09/11/13 10:49 AM

The felt tape that is used where the tube sits in the base has ripped and worn through on my Z12. Does anyone know of a good replacement tape for this?

Tristan
sage

Reged: 06/07/11

Loc: NC
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: rinalmj]
      #6075037 - 09/11/13 12:51 PM

I actually found a good solution awhile back that is still in use on my Z8. I made an armature off the base out of wood and mounted a Brunton compass on it with adjustable bezel. I then printed off and laminated a reverse numbered bezel. I set 0-d to be when I am pointed at Polaris and then as I rotate the tube the north arrow points at the azimuth my scope is pointing to...works pretty well. Just need to make sure the armature is not metal and holds the compass far enough away from the tube that the steel doesn't interfere.

bleep

Reged: 08/06/12

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Tristan]
      #6075457 - 09/11/13 04:10 PM

CR Laurence has a mole skin tape that should work. Product # C5901 only I think you might have to buy a whole roll. How much do you need?

rinalmj
sage

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: bleep]
      #6076623 - 09/12/13 09:42 AM

I only need about 8 inches or so

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #6076736 - 09/12/13 10:48 AM

Humorous response deleted.

Mike

bleep

Reged: 08/06/12

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6076975 - 09/12/13 01:11 PM

I have a few rolls here at work. If you PM me your address I can mail you some so you won't have to purchase a whole roll.

John_G
sage

Reged: 01/18/10

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Tim L]
      #6078352 - 09/13/13 08:49 AM

Quote:

Optical improvements

• Blacken all the mirror edges and shiny parts. Use a sharpie to darken all reflective edges and surfaces. Be VERY CAREFUL around the mirrors!

• Does darkening the edge really make a difference? I currently have my mirror out and I'm wondering if I should do this.

rinalmj
    sage

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: bleep]
          #6078353 - 09/13/13 08:49 AM

Got some, but thanks anyway.

George Methvin
    Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/30/06

Loc: Central Texas
          #6078595 - 09/13/13 11:47 AM

Folks I have had my Z-12 for a few weeks now and I am just floored by the views it puts up. Really is a $700.00 Dob optics suppost to be this good. Last night I was viewing the moon with a 4mm eyepeice and the images very very sharp.
    M-13 was just wonderful sharp across the whole field of view and all this from a $700.00 scope. My $2000.00 ota ED refractor my never get used again.

Edited by George Methvin (09/13/13 11:50 AM)

Tim L
    Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/08

Loc: Missouri
    Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: George Methvin]
          #6078953 - 09/13/13 03:34 PM

Congratulations on the new scope!

Your experience is exactly why I've never been able to justify for myself spending big money on a scope that is significantly smaller than what I have. I think I'd end up disappointed and coming back to the bigger scope.

Tim L
    Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/08

Loc: Missouri
    Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: John_G]
          #6078957 - 09/13/13 03:36 PM

John, I don't know objectively how much difference it makes--probably not a whole lot. But when one is trying to eke out that last bit of performance from a scope and reduce light scatter any way possible, it doesn't hurt to try. :-)

kfiscus
    Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
    Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: George Methvin]
          #6079331 - 09/13/13 08:02 PM

That's what I've been telling everybody who'll listen. (And my Z12 cost me under $400.)

Wingryder

Reged: 09/23/13

Loc: 28.34n, 81.20w
    Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: kfiscus]
          #6098457 - 09/24/13 01:10 PM

Greetings all, my first post in CNF, so naturally I came to the best thread! lol. I combed this entire thread last night in anticipation of the arrival of my own Apertura AD12. This thread is going to be my #1 go-to thread as I tweak my scope through the winter. You folks here have done some ingenious things to your scopes, thanks for the inspiration. I'm looking forward to many incredible nights under the stars, and cloudy nights here among friends.

csrlice12
    Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
    Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Wingryder]
          #6098581 - 09/24/13 02:05 PM

Why does it show two posts????

Welcome to CN!! Don't think of it as a dob, think of it as a work in progress.........

Wingryder

Reged: 09/23/13

Loc: 28.34n, 81.20w
    Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: csrlice12]
          #6099786 - 09/25/13 05:29 AM

My first post was here, THEN I posted in the beginner forum. I have been lurking in several forums soaking up MOD ideas. I can't wait for my AD12 to arrive.

DonY

Reged: 08/29/13

Loc: Leesburg, VA
    Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Jason D]
          #6099859 - 09/25/13 07:38 AM

I recently purchased a Z10 with accessory pack (16mm Z100, Telerad, etc) after researching on this website to step up from my 6" F7 DIY DOB of 15 years. So far I'm very pleased with the exception that there appears to be some "flatting" on the lazy susan roller bearings. At high powers when trying to nudge the scope it's a bit jumpy making centering in eyepiece tough. If I completely loosen the center bolt on the base it's less noticeable but the least little breeze causes scope to move.

As a DIY fix I had some "super slick" tape in my workshop I'd purchased from Woodcraft.com for another project. I cut 4-1"x1" strips and placed at the 4 quadrants between ground board and base. I stacked them with the double sided mounting squares to fill the 1/8" gap between ground board and base. This seems to have solved the "jumpiness" of the bearings while providing a tad bit of resistance so the scope doesn't turn on AZ unless I want it to :-).

Given I recently purchased the scope I did reach out to telescopes.com about a replacement bearing kit under warranty, unfortunately, they don't do field replacement sub kits and require packing up the entire scope to ship back for any warranty claim. As you might imagine my shipping boxes had gone out in recycle the previous week (not that I would have gone to the trouble to ship the entire scope back for a minor rotational issue :-/).

dpwoos
    Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/18/06

Loc: United States
    Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: John_G]
          #6099860 - 09/25/13 07:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Optical improvements

• Blacken all the mirror edges and shiny parts. Use a sharpie to darken all reflective edges and surfaces. Be VERY CAREFUL around the mirrors!

• Does darkening the edge really make a difference? I currently have my mirror out and I'm wondering if I should do this.

I would do it - it costs you nothing, is easy, and serves a good purpose. I do this to all of my mirrors.

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)

Extra information
    2 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
          You cannot start new topics
          You cannot reply to topics
          HTML is disabled
          UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 43289

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
    Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics